Speed Versus Newton Meters? I'll take Torque.

timacn

A 20mph Class 1 ebike is plenty of speed for me, plus you can ride it in places where many Class 2 or Class 3 bikes wouldn't be permitted. I personally don't need that extra 8 mph, but I would like as much torque as I could get for hills. I've noticed, however, that it's had to find a Class 1 bike offering 65-85 Newton Meters; most of the machines that give that kind of torque are Class 3 bikes, presently illegal in my state and illegal on many bike trails throughout the USA. Anybody know of any Class 1 bikes with impressive (higher) torque ratings? As always, thanks.

A 20mph Class 1 ebike is plenty of speed for me, plus you can ride it in places where many Class 2 or Class 3 bikes wouldn't be permitted. I personally don't need that extra 8 mph, but I would like as much torque as I could get for hills. I've noticed, however, that it's had to find a Class 1 bike offering 65-85 Newton Meters; most of the machines that give that kind of torque are Class 3 bikes, presently illegal in my state and illegal on many bike trails throughout the USA. Anybody know of any Class 1 bikes with impressive (higher) torque ratings? As always, thanks.
Any e-MTB with its motor from:
  • Specialized (2.1 motor, 90 Nm)
  • Shimano (EP8, 85 Nm)
  • Bosch (CX, 85 Nm)
  • Giant (either EP8 - 85 Nm or Yamaha PW-X2 - 80 Nm)
will be Class 1.

The issue with full suspension e-MTBs is these are darn expensive. And they are not made for riding pavement. Workarounds:
  • Find a hardtail e-MTB. It will reduce the cost because the rear suspension adds a lot to the e-MTB price
  • Replace the off-road tyres with Schwalbe Johnny Watts (premium tyres allowing the e-bike ride both pavement and dirt/rock)
  • Add a special rack (I can help with information). You can add external lighting, and MTB fenders.
Another possibility is buying a SUV e-bike. Many e-bikes from Riese & Muller or Moustache can be ordered as Class 1.

After having said all the above, I realized that Trek Allant+ 7 (not "S") and Allant+ 8 (not "S") were Class 1 e-bikes.
-----------------------------
You cannot, however, ask a full power e-bike to be lightweight.

Torque and power are interrelated and have not very much to do with the speed itself. The torque is critical for climbing. The Specialized 1.3 and 2.1 motors (90 Nm) deliver 550 W of peak power.

I cannot understand what you are saying Timpo. How comes I can reach 24 mph with my 90 Nm, 520 W peak power Specialized 1.2s motor easily? Again, torque is important for climbing.

If you're not after more speed then I'd just get myself a nice wide cassette and get more "torque at the wheel"...

We need a separate discussion of hub drive versus mid drive too. With mid drive, there's torque at the motor, and torque at the rear wheel. The latter is what matters, and is affected by the gearing.

Torque versus power? Gets complicated very quickly if one adds speed to the discussion....

Back