Speed Hack - no more limited by 27MPH cutoff ??

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
A large group of BH Easy Motion owners in Australia were discussing about delimiting the speed limit on Easy Motion bikes (Xtrem, Cross, Jumper etc) and finally someone has succeeded but it's not the most elegant of solutions.
They tried using the Neo Nitro's batteries/BMS and a booster pack.

More info here.

Last edited:
Yeah I can do it if the winds are in my favor. I was wondering about a full out super speed!!!

A large group of BH Easy Motion owners in Australia were discussing about delimiting the speed limit on Easy Motion bikes (Xtrem, Cross, Jumper etc) and finally someone has succeeded but it's not the most elegant of solutions. They tried using the Neo Nitro's batteries/BMS and a booster pack. More info here.
Interesting, it sounds like they changed the way the batteries are connected so they go in series to boost voltage. Did I get that right Ravi? What was your take and can you summarize or quote the answer? I noticed that some of the images were removed and the conversation was choppy over there but it's an interesting topic. Bummer that it sounds like they need to use external bags now for the batteries vs. the beautiful downtube design that the bike comes with.

A large group of BH Easy Motion owners in Australia were discussing about delimiting the speed limit on Easy Motion bikes (Xtrem, Cross, Jumper etc) and finally someone has succeeded but it's not the most elegant of solutions.
They tried using the Neo Nitro's batteries/BMS and a booster pack.

More info here.
Hey Ravi,

I read that the 350 watt motor in our Jumpers can handle up to 750 watts since it's the same motor that ships with certain Pedego models.
The Neo Jumper uses the Dapu motor, a small brushless geared motor. It’s rated for 350 watts but can handle up to 750 watts as proven by the Pedego City Commuter, which uses the same motor.
I'm thrilled with my bike, though I'd be ecstatic if there was a software hack to allow the motor to run at 500 watts or more. Anyone heard of a dealer that's able to do this?

Interesting, it sounds like they changed the way the batteries are connected so they go in series to boost voltage. Did I get that right Ravi? What was your take and can you summarize or quote the answer? I noticed that some of the images were removed and the conversation was choppy over there but it's an interesting topic. Bummer that it sounds like they need to use external bags now for the batteries vs. the beautiful downtube design that the bike comes with.

Hi Court,
I somehow missed this message.
The essence of the above thread is, few people were able to bypass the BMS voltage limit and ran the Neo bike at voltages like 45V or 50V and they noticed substantial increase in power and Torque.
One person used a booster pack with the normal batteries (BMS bypassed) and the other person used a Neo Nitro battery at 48V. Both seem to have experienced increased acceleration and decreased range. Not sure how safe this modification is. Even I couldn't see the Dropbox images they shared.

Hey Ravi,
I read that the 350 watt motor in our Jumpers can handle up to 750 watts since it's the same motor that ships with certain Pedego models.
I'm thrilled with my bike, though I'd be ecstatic if there was a software hack to allow the motor to run at 500 watts or more. Anyone heard of a dealer that's able to do this?

Hi Dave,

You're correct. The motor in the Jumper can easily run at 500W.
I guess, it is more of a firmware hack to bypass that limit.
I am keenly watching the space on different forums to see if someone has done it properly. So far, only speed hacks have been done and these guys are good at DIY but I am wary of trying such a thing on my bike.

Would be brilliant if we can have a safe protocol to run the motor at 500W. I will keep you posted and if you find something, let me know.

Cheers

Last edited:
What's the point?
In Victoria, Australia we are limited at 25kmh (250w) and this is the basis for allowing electric bikes on bike paths and roads.
You can buy a more powerful bike but you can only use them on private property like farms.
If you have an accident on a public road or bike path, you wouldn't be covered by TAC (the local public liability scheme)
Anything bigger needs a motorcycle licence and the vehicle needs to be certified with rego and have turn indicators and stop light like any other motor cycle. I think that includes petrol mopeds.

What's the point?
In Victoria, Australia we are limited at 25kmh (250w) and this is the basis for allowing electric bikes on bike paths and roads.
You can buy a more powerful bike but you can only use them on private property like farms.
If you have an accident on a public road or bike path, you wouldn't be covered by TAC (the local public liability scheme)
Anything bigger needs a motorcycle licence and the vehicle needs to be certified with rego and have turn indicators and stop light like any other motor cycle. I think that includes petrol mopeds.

Why can your car exceed the speed limit? Why not put a limiter on cars so they can't go faster than the posted limit? The answer is simple. People always want more. Mind you, my car has a limiter at 156MPH. :( At least I could do that with the top down.

The 250W, 25kmh/15mph limit must be a conspiracy of big oil or bike companies, LOL.

It makes "little" sense. A fit young person can ride a road bike or fast hybrid on a bike path and easily be over that limit. They are expected to obey any posted speeds. Why not allow the same respect and responsibility for an ebike rider? The arguement of safety is marginal at best.

The 250W limit only helps people who cannot get there on their own, regular bike, and enables them to cover some ground.

That said, I wonder how many ebike owners, who buy one of the myriad of bike offerings, and after several rides, they don't want the 15/20mph limit and want more power? There is a disconnect between the industry, regulators, and consumers.

There is a disconnect between the industry, regulators, and consumers.

This is so commonly the case in so many areas. We (USA) do a lot of regulation well - food safety, medical safety, consumer product safety. Alas, we do a lot poorly - financial services, elections, and telecommunications. New technologies tend to fall into the "poorly" category and seem to be constantly disadvantaged against established technologies, regardless of merit.

It's a depressing subject... entrenched companies benefit from lax regulation because they can fund lobbyists.

According to Vocabulary.com A lobbyist is someone hired by a business or a cause to persuade legislators to support that business or cause. Lobbyists get paid to win favor from politicians. For example, oil companies send lobbyists to Washington to try to make life easier for oil companies.

Maybe the electric bike industry can afford some of these in the future... Recently @Chris Nolte and I went to Albany NY to speak with congress people about simply allowing electric bikes in the state. We were not paid as lobbyists and instead represented the space as business people or activists which hopefully made a difference and came across as authentic.

court-chris-albany-ny.jpg chris-senator-ebikes.jpg

I have tried one of the speedhacks on my bike. Very simple hack. Just put the 48v Nitro battery on the bike.
Then my bikes go 25 mph instead of 20.
Though pretty expensive. Woul set you back at least 1000 dollars.

Not sure if it would be worth the money on us bikes.

Dont you cruise at 25 mph without effort on your BH bikes in Boost mode.

Sadly, there is no getting around the fact that generally, to double your speed from 10 or 12 mph to 25 mph, your power usage increases as much as 10 times, in order to cover the same distance.

Sadly, there is no getting around the fact that generally, to double your speed from 10 or 12 mph to 25 mph, your power usage increases as much as 10 times, in order to cover the same distance.

Not sure I agree with this statement. I understand that power required against aerodynamic drag rises exponentially, however there isn't a lot of it at 25MPH. I can get my bile to 28MPH as it is...the thing holding me back when I want to go fast is gearing. Could use three or four higher gears or a taller crank. There are times that I'd sacrifice range for the ability to cruise at 35MPH. I could see that speed using up to 2X the battery power to maintain, but not 10X.

Not sure I agree with this statement. I understand that power required against aerodynamic drag rises exponentially, however there isn't a lot of it at 25MPH. I can get my bile to 28MPH as it is...the thing holding me back when I want to go fast is gearing. Could use three or four higher gears or a taller crank. There are times that I'd sacrifice range for the ability to cruise at 35MPH. I could see that speed using up to 2X the battery power to maintain, but not 10X.

Look at the chart at the bottom of this page: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) also here: (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) and finally wind resistance and other losses here: http://mccraw.co.uk.

Obviously, if we take some measures like lowering our silhouette, or using a recumbent, this effect will be moderated somewhat. But, if we think that getting hooked up to a 1000+ watt motor is the shitz, the poor battery is gonna have a bad case of the shitz too.

'Tis why its impractical to expect to ebike long distances at high speeds with the battery technology we have. We just ain't got a big enough juice container yet. Now, if you want to talk about the Zero or it's like, that is a different (motorcycle) $tory.

As far as 35 mph, I don't think anyone here has a bike that can be safely ridden at that speed... not enough bike structural strength or mass to adsorb all that vibration. Can we revisit "death wobble" ?

Last edited:
Back