Specialized’s ultra-light 120-mile range e-bike - Turbo Vado SL

The battery is easily replaced with tools. Any owner can do it.
If you are going to be removing the motor make sure you know the proper torque specs when you put it back in. The fact that this kind of DIY work might blow the warranty would make me think twice about doing it, at least during the warranty period.

That BD bike looks nice, but the 215W battery sure is small.

Here is more information on the new Bafang powertrain... the motor, battery and display/controls are specifically designed for a lightweight road/gravel bike.

One of the most promising of Bafang’s new offerings is the M800 system designed specifically for road bikes, which includes a 5 lb (2.3 kg) mid-drive motor, a 4.4 lb (2 kg) integrated frame battery, satellite shifter pods and a color display. The entire package weighs less than 9.7 lbs (4.4 kg). Bafang, also known as 8fun, has designed the motor with exercise-conscious road bikers in mind. The M800 system includes 10 user-selectable assist levels to provide a range of power from a significant boost down to just a light tailwind.

However, unlike more powerful e-bikes that can provide constant pedal assist, the M800 is designed to provide assist only during acceleration and on uphill climbs. Essentially, the motor aims to flatten out terrain and help the rider get up to constant speed, at which point the rider takes over to provide the rest of the pedaling power. At only 200 W, the motor is definitely a helper motor as opposed to a ‘do the work for you’ motor. However, the upside of lower power is that the smaller 200 Wh battery should be plenty for even long rides due to the lower power draw. Bafang claims that the 200 Wh battery should last anywhere from 31 to 93 miles (50 to 150 km), depending on the assist level.

Bafang has also tuned the motor for different markets, with a 15.5 mph (25 km/h) option and a 28 mph (45 km/h) option, depending on a country’s local regulations. As most road cyclists can easily surpass 15.5 mph (25 km/h), it makes sense that Bafang designed the M800 system to only provide assist during acceleration and hill climbing. At just 4.4 kg, the entire M800 system including the battery weighs less than some competitors’ motors alone. This extremely lightweight new drive system can open the door for some exciting new electric road bikes as manufacturers decide how they want to incorporate the M800 system into their lineups.

While many people might scoff at a 200W pedal assist system, it is important to remember who this system is aimed at: road cyclists. This isn’t a commuter e-bike setup or an off-road setup, it is meant for those that want to be able to spend longer periods cycling but perhaps don’t have the strength required to climb the hills in their area or to accelerate quickly enough to keep up with their group. For that segment of the market, the M800 fills a niche that hasn’t yet been adequately addressed.
1589421038561.png
1589421010507.png

Last edited:
Thanks for linking that vid, if for no other reason than to watch a guy out on a woods ride on a road/gravel bike in his flip flops!

I like the Bafang mid drives. Had the M600 on my FLX Roadster SE until my wife tried out that bike, and came home with a big smile on her face while saying 'Mine!' Don't think that she will be giving it up for the M800 quite yet...

Thanks for linking that vid, if for no other reason than to watch a guy out on a woods ride on a road/gravel bike in his flip flops!

I like the Bafang mid drives. Had the M600 on my FLX Roadster SE until my wife tried out that bike, and came home with a big smile on her face while saying 'Mine!' Don't think that she will be giving it up for the M800 quite yet...

Yeah, love the guy with chainsaw interrupting mid vid... ;)

@Oberst, you've got Vado, Levo, Creo SL. How would you compare the motor noise on these three?
Trying to think of how to reply as tough when you ride them at different times. The Creo may be quieter and, when in Eco, it is barely noticeable to me but you do hear it in Turbo. Will have to listen carefully to each but my thought is the Levo is loudest, and the Vado about the middle.

So this new Turbo Vado SL is a supplement to the Vado range, right? And not a replacement for the current Turbo Vado's?

It was postulated elsewhere that prior to the introduction of the SL, Specialized was trying to get rid of the old Vado's, and this was their reason for the recent big discount on them.

Seems like it would be a real mistake if the SL was going to be the only Vado-type in the lineup. I recently bought my Vado 4.0 during the Spring Sale and given the choice between it and the new SL models, I would happily purchase my 'standard' Vado 4.0 again.

My 2 cents is that if you read through these forums that the demographic for the Vado and Vado SL is a bit different. Is that different enough to justify having both models? Let's hope so. Once Specialized developed the SL motor I don't think it has cost them all that much to use it in other models, so maybe it's not a big financial commitment.

I guess we'll see when it comes time to update the Vado. Will they continue to do R&D and essentially two lines of motors? I guess it will depend upon sales figures and whether they think it makes financial sense. My hunch is that they will. It's not like there was any indication before the Creo that they were going to drop their turbo models. I suspect they sold well enough to continue them. I think the SL models have sold well just judging by how hard it can be to get one.

Will the SL cannibalize sales of the regular turbo models? I don't know. How many SL owners on here would have otherwise bought a regular turbo? For me the answer was no I would not have bought a regular turbo. I already had my Juiced CCS and I didn't see the point. But once the Creo SL was built I knew I had to have one.

I don't see why Specialized wouldn't keep both models, since they're quite different in their execution. My neighbour, a lady in her late 60s, just bought a Vado 4.0. My wife almost bought a Vado, until she found out about the WWSuperbike I was planning on ordering. I ended up ordering one for her too.
Both women would not buy a Vado SL . They want more power, especially on the hills and the SL just wouldn't cut it for them.

A few points here from what I see just going over the specs and material on Specialized's web site:

1) The web site (or some related article) pretty much pointed out directly that this is aimed at the commuter market, which is also what the Allant+ series is focused on. Thus the solid fork and tires that are more at home on the streets.

2) The solid fork would put me out of the market for it. I expect my Vado 4.0 to be an all-road bike with some trips on smooth-to-rough unpaved roads and other roads where I'd like the softer fork. I do take my solid-framed Felt on some of those same roads, but then again it's a carbon frame made to allow some flex in the right places.

3) Has anyone considered that one reason for not offering a step-through is changes they made to achieve a "lightweight aluminum frame"? A step through needs more heft in the frame members to make up for lack of the bracing of a top tube. Using lighter frame tubing might have ruled that style out.

4) That said, I really wish that my Vado were 20lbs lighter. I know that it's bike+rider weight that is a factor in riding range, but my concern is that the current bike is about at my limit for being able to lift onto my carrier, especially since I recently re-injured my back and have been hobbled the last couple of weeks. I'll have to give that ramp that came with my carrier a try.

I don't see why Specialized wouldn't keep both models, since they're quite different in their execution. My neighbour, a lady in her late 60s, just bought a Vado 4.0. My wife almost bought a Vado, until she found out about the WWSuperbike I was planning on ordering. I ended up ordering one for her too.
Both women would not buy a Vado SL . They want more power, especially on the hills and the SL just wouldn't cut it for them.
So you bought TWO Watts wagon bikes, you have a Defy, how many other bikes do you have? I need someone to point my wife to in case you says I have too many bikes :) - LOL

To be fair I have a number of friends who have a half dozen to a dozen bikes so just a bit of friendly teasing. Though I would say I'm a bit envious of the two Watts wagons. I'd love a Defy as well and have been considering selling my Cervelo to get a newer road bike and the Defy is on the list for consideration.

I just got back from a short 40km ride on my Defy. I really do love this bike, especially the Di2 shifters.

To be honest, I didn't want to buy the second WWSuperbike for my wife. For the way she rides it's completely overkill, but she said "If you can buy one why can't ?"
Hard to argue with that, so I ordered one for her too, although I doubt that bike will ever see anything over 20mph.

I own three bikes and the WattsWagon will make four. Heck, that's nothing. At one time I owned 5 cars. :p

Did I miss the part where anyone listed the torque on the SL? I did look. Maybe not hard enough?

I just got back from a short 40km ride on my Defy. I really do love this bike, especially the Di2 shifters.

To be honest, I didn't want to buy the second WWSuperbike for my wife. For the way she rides it's completely overkill, but she said "If you can buy one why can't ?"
Hard to argue with that, so I ordered one for her too, although I doubt that bike will ever see anything over 20mph.

I own three bikes and the WattsWagon will make four. Heck, that's nothing. At one time I owned 5 cars. :p

He who dies with the most Electric toys wins! ;)

1589488973143.png

Last edited:
I am currently riding a 2015/16 base model Turbo with the 200W rear wheel motor. While I love the bike, 20 lbs would be very nice. The Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ seems just about right to me. My only question is how expensive is the add-on waterbottle battery and how many watt-hours does it give you? My current Turbo has the 691Wh Turbo SL battery with bluetooth and the 11 speed Deore XT 11-42 mech. With this combination I get around 50+ mile range at full Turbo boost and over 100 mile range in ECO 40 mode. BUT THE DAMN THING WEIGHS 60 lbs equipped the way the Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ is equipped.

Seems to be a hot item with its target demographic. My son, an acoustic bicyclist who's looking for his 1st ebike, just received the following communication:

"...At this time, we’re not anticipating stocking the Vado SL, though we have already special ordered some for customers. These bikes are currently about a month out, and will very likely be sold out when they arrive. Not intending to pressure, but customers who want a Vado SL really need to pre-order, or it may be a fairly long wait..."

Back