Specialized Vado

pauldejourny

Hello
I have a Specialized Vado
can someone tell me the type of cable that I need to buy to connect the computer to my I-phone
the shop told me that is w

Hi Paul, maybe you can take a picture of the plug port on the computer and we can help identify the type of cable you need? It looks like your message got partially cutoff there when you were saying "the shop told me that is w"

Please provide some more info and we will try to help :D

Hi Paul, I did some research and actually explored my review of the Turbo Vado 6.0 and discovered that the plug type you might need for your display panel is a Micro-USB. If your iPhone uses a Lightening plug type, then this data cable might be what you need! I hope this helps and welcome your feedback.

micro-usb-to-lightening-data-cable.jpg

Did you have any luck with the cable? I hadn't thought of connecting an iPhone to the Vado display. I assume this would be to charge your iPhone?

Hi Paul, I did some research and actually explored my review of the Turbo Vado 6.0 and discovered that the plug type you might need for your display panel is a Micro-USB. If your iPhone uses a Lightening plug type, then this data cable might be what you need! I hope this helps and welcome your feedback.

View attachment 19889
Hi
sorry for the silence
the first Specialized dealer told mer the same thing
but
it is not a micro USB
I can't believe that a second Specialized dealer "looked into it" and came up with, "no specialized don't know"
unbelievable

Did you have any luck with the cable? I hadn't thought of connecting an iPhone to the Vado display. I assume this would be to charge your iPhone?

yes exactly it is for keeping the phone charged up (GPS)
but alas - it remains a just good idea

It is micro USB. I was able to use a micro-usb to usb-c cable (my phone is USB-C). When I plugged it into my phone I was able to see files on the computer (a license and readme or something similar), but my phone did not charge. Your mileage may vary. The port is square, so it doesn't look like a typical micro USB port, but it functions that way just fine.

hello
you were braver than I was !!
thanks for your feedback
I will try
I think the mileage vairies because the GPS on the phone does not take gradiants into account wheras the wheels would
well here goes !!!!!!
now where did I put that tiny converter thingy .............
I'll let you know

repeated andersonimes process and connected via a USB-C port to my computer. It doesn't do much at all except for the files he mentioned. We need Specialized to get on the ball and support the turbo-Vado with the Mission Control app. I had a turbo-levy and the app was very useful and until they make it available for the turbo-Vado, the Blok's unit is pretty non-functional in terms of what it is capable of via the Vado manual...

I think the problem is getting a cable that tells the Vado it is the "host".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_On-The-Go#Plug

You need a USB OTG (On The Go) cable, and plug the OTG A-device end into the Vado display and the other end into your phone or tablet, then the Vado display should provide power to the phone.

If you plug a USB C cable into your phone and can browse files on the Vado, seeing the filenames on the phone screen, then the phone is the "host", and proving power rather than accepting power.

Something like these: https://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-otg-on-the-go-c1507

Normally my phone will present an option to switch modes if it's possible (it didn't in this case). For example, if I plug it into my laptop, I have an option to charge my laptop from my phone.

However, for thoroughness I ordered an OTG cable to see if it makes a difference. Comes today. I'll update the thread with my findings.

edit: Amazon sent me an envelope with nothing in it. Reordering. Will be here tomorrow.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone forn thesen interesting snippets of info
I get the impression that I will not be able to do all those interesting things that the Specialized shop promised...... Manage the assistance etc etc
nevermind
we have great fun now that my wife and can cycle together at last

Can anyone tell me if pedaling with assistance set at zero actually saves the battery ? The obvious conclusion is yes but we sometimes have doubts..............

the climatique conditions (Wind) are never the same where we ride so ..........

Last edited:
Pedalling in "off" mode uses minimal battery to power the light and computer. It also feels like you are bicycling through sand.

Last edited:
Alright, folks. I spent $8 so you don't have to. An OTG specific cable didn't help. The behavior on two devices was the same - the phone acted as a USB drive host and I could see files on the bike computer. No charging. I don't think you can charge your phone on a Turbo Vado.

I plugged my tablet's USB OTG cable into the Vado 3.0 display, while mounted to the bike, and battery turned on (and lights turned on, I didn't try with the lights off), and it started charging my phones.

The Vado end of the cable goes in "upside down" with the USB logo underneath (the wider edge of the plug on the top).
The phone, a Samsung Ace 4 Lite, said "connecting as a media device" (or similar) and started charging. I didn't leave it more than a minute to see if the battery actually went up.
My other phone, an old Samsung candybar thing, showed the same connect options as when connected to a PC, and then started charging.

So some Vados will charge some phones.

My tablet USB OTG cable is USB micro-B plug at one end and USB Type-A socket at the other end, so I need another phone charging cable plugged into the socket to connect the phone, but that's probably not significant.

Thanks to MarktheC for thinking to say that the micro USB should go upside down !!!
Could someone help me (dunce) with a link to purchase a cable that does : USB OTG USB micro-B plug for the vado end and a USB micro-B for the phone end. Thanks !!!

View attachment 19889
I bought this cable and tried it out this morning.

*Sad Trombone*

My iPhone didn't recognize it and didn't charge.

It also feels like you are bicycling through sand.
This is a good description. Any idea why? Is it just the weight of the bike? The style of tires? Or does the motor resist when not active? My understanding with mid-drive motors was that one of the advantages over hub motors was their lack of resistance when not engaged. I've been assuming I've just gotten used to the assist and staying in higher gears, and if I were to ride a "normal" bike, I'd find it feels the same at similar gearing.

Hello again

I connected the micro USB OTG with a converter to my i-phone
I opened the app on the phone
and .......... nothing.............
oh well
all those dreams of being able to control the power settings, getting the bike to manage the power settings automatically inorder to avoid running out of battery ............ all thoses lovely things Specialized promised.
I can honestly say that it is along way from what I expected for 3000 euros !!
If anyone from specialized is reading - supply me with a cable and software that works, please

Back