Specialized Vado 4.0 - Beware

SPECIALIZED E-BIKE OWNERS – BEWARE …

Sounds like another hit & run post from an e-bike noob.

Cassettes are wear items. Even more so when the rider is a beginner and doesn’t know how to shift properly. Instead of drowning in your own tears watch a few YouTube videos on how to shift correctly to avoid pre-mature wear on your components.
Ever notice how so many of the Ranters only join the previous day?
They can't be bothered to join beforehand to educate themselves but have a beef and feel the need to put it out there to gain some support.

CN

I have two of the Spesh bikes without any problems, but then I'm not a frame cracker.
What is a "Spesh" bike ? I bounce my bike over curbs without problems. And it's a "cheap Chinese" bike. Oh, wait, Specialized is made in China too !

Really ? Taiwan, officially the Republic of China (ROC), is a country in East Asia.
Well, I guess it really depends on your definition of CHINA. Taiwan still is a very separate government and system than Mainland China. Of course, there are threats weekly to end that separation. My Creo definitely says "handbuilt in Taiwan," It does not say "built by slave labor in China."

Well, I guess it really depends on your definition of CHINA. Taiwan still is a very separate government and system than Mainland China. Of course, there are threats weekly to end that separation. My Creo definitely says "handbuilt in Taiwan," It does not say "built by slave labor in China."
Your bike was made in "China". Maybe not communist China but the Republic of China (ROC). "Handbuilt" with frames that crack. Love that.

Such quality!

Last edited:
Your bike was made in "China". Maybe not communist China but the Republic of China (ROC). "Handbuilt" with frames that crack. Love that.

Such quality!

Oh, I'm not stating that it is necessarily built better or stronger. Only that "it is a faster you!" ;)

My original "handbuilt" Trek was built in Wisconsin - no longer.

Oh, I'm not stating that it is necessarily built better or stronger. Only that "it is a faster you!" ;)

My original "handbuilt" Trek was built in Wisconsin - no longer.
I actually have an '88 Cannondale built in CT. Also have a Cannondale Supersix - 2009, last year they built in USA. And it's carbon! Not worried about my new ROC Vado SL though. Welds look good. Seems pretty sturdy. And it has warranty from company that isn't going anywhere. 🙏

I used to go through a chain and rear cassette every couple of months on my old ebike, that along with the rear spokes popping regularly, I was in the bike shop every other week. I used to think to myself this can’t be what ebiking is all about spending as much time in a shop as on the bike tracks and spending as much on maintenance as I did on car fuel. I used to own a Kalkhoff too with an array of issues with their notorious evo motors that used to quack and similarly we’re reluctant to stand by their product. I spent nearly 4 years driving me and bike shops crazy. I’ve just purchased another ebike with a belt drive with an internal rear hub, touch wood it’s been over a month and no bike shops, except the first week after I received it from being freighted, to check the bolts etc. I love not having to worry about regular greasy drive train replacement, hopefully it keeps on living up to its durability. If you think there’s something inherently wrong with the product keep on the bike shop and the manufacturer to support you, those bikes aren’t cheap and you have every right to expect support, but from my expereice, changing rear cassettes on my old ebike was common practice. Best of luck.

Not worried about my new ROC Vado SL though.
Why should you be worried of Taiwanese manufacturing? Taiwan is the Home of Bikes. (PRC is cr@p).
20210725_003654-01.jpeg

I wonder who will stand by TForan when his pig in the slop brakes.

OK, to bring this back to the original concern.
I have a Vado 4.0. Just hit 500 miles. I checked the chain and smallest sprocket and it appears ok. I ride in eco and top gear almost all the time with occasional down shifts for hills an intersections.
Is this ok? Should I be doing something different? This thread has me concerned.

Last edited:
OK, to bring this back to the original concern.
I have a Vado 4.0. Just hit 500 miles. I checked the chain and smallest sprocket and it appears ok. I ride in eco and top gear almost all the time with occasional down shifts for hills an intersections.
Is this ok? Should I be doing something different? This thread has me concerned.
You're lucky you're riding in Eco not Turbo.
It looks I will need to write a short tutorial on proper use of the derailleur (but not now).

I have a 1000w Bafang Ultra mid drive, and I wore out my first cassette at 500kms. I do ride hard and fast. I made a few tweaks and swapped a couple of parts, and have just passed 1000kms on the second cassette and chain (1500kms total) with quite a bit more to go before it looks like I might need to swap it out. My adjustments included:

1. New front sprocket (49T up from 44T) - this moved my gear range 2 full stops, which means instead of cruising in 8th or 9th, I cruise and 6th or 7th on a much larger cog. This distributes the strain across more cassette teeth and chain links.

2. I mounted my new chainring outside the spider which aligns 1.5 gear higher for improved chainline in the higher gears. Still works fine in all gears, but has virtually no offset when cruising in 6th or 7th.

3. I tightened up my derailleurs b-tension to a nice 5-8mm. This makes the shifts much crisper and faster with less room to skip if I'm a little sloppy. I have had no skips since making these adjustments.

I plan on using standard Shimano cassettes and just swapping them out more often. If I get 1500kms or so per cassette and chain with my hard riding style, I'll be very happy. I'm very pleased with the results, and would suggest considering/investigating these or similar as a start if you are expecting use your bike fast and hard.

So I've been riding multi speed bikes forever. Never heard of the gears wearing out but then again I'm not hard on them. This is my first ebike and expected more. While I certainly would welcome a tutorial on shifting I must say I would love to hear from specialized for their thoughts on this. I plan to visit my lbs this week to inquire about this as I don’t expect a 4k bike to be in the shop for repais so often. At the stated failure rates that would be every 4 months for a new gear. Don't think my other non ebikes have ever seen the shop for gear replacement and they are many many years old.
Hoping to find the reality of this issue vs speculation or one person's experience.

Had it for 4 years without anything but routine service. Zero frame cracks. And what is with the all stupid bandwidth wasting photos ?
Hey, it’s a travelogue format and lots of folks use it on this forum. I find it very interesting and IMHO, its what really connects us to ebike-riding folks around the world!

Back