Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Even yesterday!

Looking over the bewildering array of Ortlieb panniers. Which ones do you use?

Need only one and not the largest, as it won't be used for big shopping trips. (Still can't bring myself to leave the SL unattended.) Mainly just for extra or shed outerwear and maybe lunch.

Price and size look good for this one:
Screenshot_20260920_115214_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20260920_115355_Chrome.jpg
 
Ortlieb makes a good stuff. My favourite pannier is the E-Mate*, which allows me safely carry either a big Vado battery or a Range Extender in the central compartment. Another good pannier is the Specialized Tailwind (the "right side" version). While Ortlieb allows the mount adjustments "on the fly", the Specialized one requires using a screwdriver.

*) The current name for that pannier is Pedal-Mate.

Please look for Ortlieb panniers with the QL2.1 mount as this mount is pretty universal. Important to mention: the Ortlieb Quick Rack is really sturdy, which cannot be said about the stock Vado SL 1 rear rack.

P.S. Before any pannier is attached, I recommend protecting the rear rack tube with a strong adhesive tape.
 
Last edited:
1789938326659.png

My racing setup. 42 mm Rhombus Pro (discontinued), Ortlieb Quick Rack, Ortieb E-Mate (replaced by Pedal-Mate).

I have never taken a photo of the Quick Rack together with the Ass Saver Win Wing 2 but trust me, these two can coexist well :)
 
View attachment 215533
My racing setup. 42 mm Rhombus Pro (discontinued), Ortlieb Quick Rack, Ortieb E-Mate (replaced by Pedal-Mate).

I have never taken a photo of the Quick Rack together with the Ass Saver Win Wing 2 but trust me, these two can coexist well :)

Thanks! Very helpful seeing the seat tube mount.

Seems like everyone should carry an ass saver, just in case.
;^}
 
YMMV. I'm trying to protect Jeremy against frustration and expense, O, Apostle ;)
My rear SKS Speedrocker ended up on Tommy's Marin Muirwoods, as that bike has generous frame clearances.
Panny Gravelkings SK (small knobs) 42mm and below, the WTB Byways 44mm. I swap between them depending on road conditions/time of year. Have used both for at least 2 or 3 years & more. No rubbing. No issues. Before that I had 40mm WTB Nanos. No issues. Before that the stock Spesh Pathfinder Sport 38s. Before that on a Genesis Croix De Fer with tighter clearance. 8 years use and amazingly they seem to work very well.

I also suggested Jeremy see if a local bike shop has the SKS SRs in stock to see if they fit over his tyres if in doubt.

And yet and yet...
IMG_2096.jpeg

IMG_1579.jpeg
 
Did anyone say the stock Lezyne headlight on Vado SL 1 was dim? :)

1789982195063.png

Summer daylight, woods. This is how someone's iPhone saw the scene (the original take).
 
I was thinking about increasing the length of the stem on my Turbo Vado SL 5.0 medium. I have the future shock and mount for my GPS on the top of the handlebars. The original Specialized stem is 75mm 14 degree. I was thinking maybe a 100mm at 6 degree. I have a longer torso and shorter legs, so I was thinking this may help with my positioning. I think it's 31.8.

Does anyone know if I need anything special? I'd like to keep my GPS in the same spot, if possible. I have my headlight already custom mounted to two of the handlebar bolts on the front of my current stem.

Update: Found from the original specs that the original stem is a Specialized Stealth Stem. Looks it was only made in 75mm and 90mm at 14 degrees.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20260921_191250684.jpg
    PXL_20260921_191250684.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Ask a Specialized dealer for the stem compatible with the Future Shock. Usually, a bike-fitter at a Specialized store has a drawer full of stems :)
Not my dealer. I had to tell them what I needed. Anyway. I ordered a 90mm stealth. If it's not enough maybe I'll go with a 110 6 degree generic and figure out how to make it work.
 
Last edited:

Perfect replacements for the removed rear fender and rack. Cannot help with the loss of the tail light though.

Just ordered the Ortlieb Quick-Rack and one Sport Roller Plus pannier. Bike goes in for the new rear Tracer and fender removal next week, plus a general tune-up. Getting excited!
 
Last edited:
we need a separate thread for the stripping Vado SLs! ...how low can you go? [I joke, as I am not super familiar with my cousin bike]. That said...is lighter always better?

Not about weight in my case. Mainly needed more rear traction after a brake and front tire upgrade, especially offroad.

Long story short, removing the rear fender is the only way to get a rear tire wider than 38 mm on an SL 1. Fenders aren't really needed here, so the rear fender had to go — and with it, the rear rack and front fender.

Have also been wanting a sportier Creo 2-style look and a more functional rack. Whatever the net weight reduction after putting on a different rack, it'll just be icing on the cake.
 
Not my dealer. I had to tell them what I needed. Anyway. I ordered a 90mm stealth. If it's not enough maybe I'll go with a 110 6 degree generic and figure out how to make it work.
So I got two stems. 90mm 14 degree Specialized Stealth Stem. This uses a 1 1/8” standard hole which works with my existing round shim for the future shock 1.5. This is the same one that comes on the XL version of the bike. It has the Garmin style bracket mount. Tried that a few rides.

Also purchased a used 100mm 6 degree Specialized future shock stem. Ended up that this stem had a flanged mounting hole. So I ended up having to purchase a special shim for it (Specialized S224800002). Wanted this because it lowers me down a little bit in a more athletic stance and is slightly longer. Haven't tried it yet. Here are a few pics. Had to use an old Garmin mount for my GPS.
 

Attachments

  • PXL_20261004_195756009~2.jpg
    PXL_20261004_195756009~2.jpg
    414.9 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20261004_195931471~2.jpg
    PXL_20261004_195931471~2.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20261004_201705211~2.jpg
    PXL_20261004_201705211~2.jpg
    315.6 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20261004_202422911~2.jpg
    PXL_20261004_202422911~2.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 0
Back