Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Hi everyone,

I've completed several upgrades since my post above. Here's a list of what I've added with some LBS help.

*Enve carbon riser bar.
*Carbon fork (same part from 5.0 model).
*Future Shock (same part from 5.0 model).
*Redshift suspension seatpost.
*Sella Italia Diva Gel Ti Superflow saddle.
*Niterider Lumina headlight.
*Spurcycle bell.
*JBL portable waterproof bluetooth speaker—allows me to jam out to SiriusXM radio while still being aware of my surroundings 🎶. This particular model is marketed to kids but, from the reviews, many adults use it too. It has a strap that wraps around the bar and snaps on and off for stowing and charging. It's also in keeping with my bike's color scheme. I absolutely love it!

FWIW, I bought my bike direct from Specialized and was told at the time of purchase that it "wasn't possible" to do the upgrades I just completed. Frankly, I thought they were full of sh*t and I felt as though I was being pushed into buying the 5.0 stock model when that was not what I wanted. Since purchasing my bike, I found a LBS who has been terrific to work with! They just completed the fork and future shock swap and, in my view, the price was a steal. I was somewhat dubious about how the black fork would look on the bike, but I actually like it better with the modification—both aesthetically and functionally. If you've owned a carbon bike, you'll understand. For anyone looking to modify their Vado SL 4.0, call around—my closest shop wanted an arm and a leg to do the upgrades, but a shop farther away was super to deal with and offered a great price while throwing in labor, etc.

Have a great day!☀️
Congratulations - looks like serious upgrade. Could you post some pictures?
Also, do you know what is weight benefit of changing alu fork with carbon + Future shock?
And what is the price level of fork+shock? Probably future shock is version 1.5?

Thanks

Hello from UK. I finally managed to get my hands on Turbo Vado SL 4.0 EQ.
Last year I was frantically trying to get one and finally gave up and bought a Orbea Vector 15 (not an ebike). I use it for commuting once a week (10 miles each way), involves 2.5 miles of 60mph road and rest is a mix of speed restricted (30mph) road and cycle path. As part of my commute is adjacent to open fields, I get serious headwinds. A month ago, I developed Achilles tenditis and had to cut back on cycling - I think its on the mend! I'm hoping to use the new bike to ease commuting.

Cycle is sitting in the garage - its the variant with SRAM groupset, I also bought a range extender, not sure if I would need it. I have also purchased additional D- lock and a lock for brake disc.

I'm used to Continental Gatorskin tyres due to punctures with a few other brands, unfortunately they only go up to 700-32c.
Are the stock tyres - Nimbus II (black belt) reasonable?
Has anyone swapped the 700-38c for a smaller size say 700-32c ?

First of all: Congratulations and welcome to the Club!

Has anyone swapped the 700-38c for a smaller size say 700-32c ?
It is counterproductive on an e-bike, causing wrong readouts of speed, distance, and odometer, and triggering the 15.5 mph speed limiter prematurely!

Are the stock tyres - Nimbus II (black belt) reasonable?
I didn't like them. Currently I'm riding Specialized Pathfinder Pro 2Bliss 38-622. Very fast on the pavement, supple on gravel, and puncture resistant.

I also bought a range extender, not sure if I would need it.
It is a very good addition! Using Mission Control app, you can set "Discharge the Range Extender first" option. As long as you do not use too much of assistance, you might be able to complete your commute on the Range Extender only. As you know, batteries degrade with the use. If you would consistently use the Range Extender (and, occasionally, the main battery), you would preserve the main battery for a very long time, making the RE degrade slowly over the time, and the RE is relatively cheap.

Have you already bought a rear-view mirror?

@Stefan Mikes Good point regarding using the RE. I'll look into the above tyre recommendation.
I have stayed away from Rear-view mirror, might have to re-visit it later. I prefer to be lit up like a christmas tree with all the high visibility paraphernalia.
Not sure I understand why the speed readout, distance etc would be different for a 700-38c vs 700-32c both have same diameter. Probably my flawed thinking process.

Not sure I understand why the speed readout, distance etc would be different for a 700-38c vs 700-32c both have same diameter. Probably my flawed thinking process.
The e-bike computer measures the number of rear wheel revolutions per time unit. To get the speed value, the rpms need to be multiplied by wheel circumference figure that depends on the wheel size. Contrary to what you think, both wheels have different size.

The universal code for wheel size is the ETRTO. Your original tyre size is coded as ETRTO 38-622, and the alternative you propose is 32-622. Both wheels have the same rim diameter (622 mm) but the tyre width and height is 38 mm in the former case, and 32 mm in the latter. The original wheel is higher and with greater Wheel Circumference.

-------- TL;DR ----
Vado SL 4.0 EQ has the value of 2180 mm as Wheel Circumference coded in the system. Meanwhile, the WhC for 32-622 is 2155 mm.

Assume you have ridden for 100 km (using metric units here). With the 38-622 tyres, the wheel made 100000 m / 2.18 m = 45871 revolutions.
Now, change the tyre to 32-622. To ride for 100 km, your wheel must revolve for 100000 / 2.155 = 46403 times.
The Vado SL computer thinks your WhC is 2.18 m. Multiplying... 46403 x 2.18 = 101158 m = 101.15 km. You get 1.15 km discrepancy for the daily trip meter and in the odometer.

Now, we can say the ratio of Wheel Circumferences here is 2.18 / 2.155 = 1.011, It is 1.1%. The bike "thinks" you are riding 1.1% faster than you actually ride, reports higher cruising speed, and cuts the motor off earlier than it should.
----------------

You could say the difference is so small you do not care. If so, go with skinnier tyres!

Last edited:
I have a leadoutgear mini burrito bag. Fits my phone, wallet, and a multi tool and a snack. It straps on the handlebars. There is a strap for the stem area too, but I don't use that part.
I'm a bit late to the conversation here I'm afraid ... I've just got the bag shown in the photo from Amazon (UK) where it sells for about £20. There are broadly similar bags for about £14 if you look around; although the size is the same (2.4 litres - enough for a phone and lightweight jacket and a chocolate bar or two) they don't appear to be quite as well finished. The bag straps onto the handlebars (velcro and pretty secure) with an additional strap around the light bracket and cabling. The latter strap isn't tight and carries no weight. The zip claims to be waterproof but I have yet to test it.

PXL_20220816_130755377.jpg

As you can see, the light is clear of the bag and not obscured.

Hope this might be of some help :)

And now back to your normal service ...

I'm a bit late to the conversation here I'm afraid ... I've just got the bag shown in the photo from Amazon (UK) where it sells for about £20. There are broadly similar bags for about £14 if you look around; although the size is the same (2.4 litres - enough for a phone and lightweight jacket and a chocolate bar or two) they don't appear to be quite as well finished. The bag straps onto the handlebars (velcro and pretty secure) with an additional strap around the light bracket and cabling. The latter strap isn't tight and carries no weight. The zip claims to be waterproof but I have yet to test it.

View attachment 132225
As you can see, the light is clear of the bag and not obscured.

Hope this might be of some help :)

And now back to your normal service ...
You do not use a display or a bike GPS computer, do you.

No ... there's one road where I live. I can go right or left. I've not got lost yet. I'm more interested in the scenery than the stats:

PXL_20220727_120650257.jpg

I've have programmed the TCU (? - the one on the top bar) to display the time, distance and altitude gained.

The top of the bag is almost flush with the handlebars, so I suspect a handlebar mounted computer should or could be visible, though it might restrict access to the bag.

I appreciate that, but I was suggesting an alternative to the previous suggested solution - cheaper and a bit larger. Clearly not suitable for some of course ;)

I agree (to the second point) ... I love it. She's called the Yellow Peril. I don't think I've had this much fun cycling since I was club time trial champion when I was 19 (in about 1924).

Congratulations - looks like serious upgrade. Could you post some pictures?
Also, do you know what is weight benefit of changing alu fork with carbon + Future shock?
And what is the price level of fork+shock? Probably future shock is version 1.5?

Thanks
Hi Borelij,

I don't have the weight-savings details available, but the performance is superb! Yes, it's the 1.5 Future Shock. The 2.0 Future Shock isn't compatible. The price for everything (fork+shock+Enve carbon bar+labor) was approximately $600.00 US. The LBS was absolutely terrific to work with!

IMG_3126.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3129.jpg
    IMG_3129.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_3130.jpg
    IMG_3130.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:
Got the Roval C38s, Pathfinder tyres and sram cassette fitted on the Vado 4.0. Haven’t really fully tested them yet but the ride back from the LBS was smooth and fast. Here’s a quick shot from today:

Attachments

• 64782425-66BB-4498-B9A0-6253664F474D.jpeg
    64782425-66BB-4498-B9A0-6253664F474D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 177
Got the Roval C38s, Pathfinder tyres and sram cassette fitted on the Vado 4.0. Haven’t really fully tested them yet but the ride back from the LBS was smooth and fast. Here’s a quick shot from today:
Which cassette ? Curious what they charge for installing a cassette : Didn't it come originally with Sram ? Nice bike

Which cassette ? Curious what they charge for installing a cassette : Didn't it come originally with Sram ? Nice bike
I opted for a sram gx 1150. No, the Vado 4.0 SL comes with a Sunrace cassette with a Shimano standard freehub.

My LBS struggled to get the cassette so I got it online. The cassette I guess was around $120 and the xd freehub was under a 100.

I opted for a sram gx 1150. No, the Vado 4.0 SL comes with a Sunrace cassette with a Shimano standard freehub.

My LBS struggled to get the cassette so I got it online. The cassette I guess was around $120 and the xd freehub was under a 100.
AAH HA . My error . I didn't look and thought I was in The Vado Thread not the SL .. Sorry

Back