Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

Got my Innerbarends influenced by Stefan. Moved over my Ergons. Decided to switch the bell over to the other side to make things a little closer together. Also swapped the power control on the left side so it is inside the brakes
It looks perfectly! The only trouble with the IBE (as to shorten the name) is finding their ideal angle... :)

However (there’s always a ‘however’), I’m a bit puzzled by the remaining battery charge being shown at the end of the ride being more than the display reports an hour later at home. For example, at the end of my last ride, the display said 35% but later showed 26%. I don’t understand the reason and wonder if anyone else has reported the same discrepancy. I haven’t needed to charge the battery yet (I’ve been very frugal with power assistance).
Chas, I have learnt one thing: Ignoring such small issues and enjoying the ride instead! Enjoy your Vado SL!

C33C1BEE-5A8B-4EC0-8686-BFAEBAC8BC43.jpeg

I need those inner bar ends now.
Did a 80+ miles ride yesterday on eco 35/35 and was left with 15% battery so it does what Specialized claims in terms of range.

Saddle: Replaced with Brooks B17 and that gave jump in long ride comfort as I could sit on it all day

Grips: Stock grips worked well. At time kept putting my hands towards middle of handlebar and inner ends of grip for more comfort with hands close to body

Shoes: Snickers on stock pedals with no slip. Felt I could use those platform pedals with mountain bike shoes to gain some efficiency while pulling up. Mostly towards end of the day I felt I was slow with legs and could benefit with good pedals and right SPD shoes

Phone: Phone battery died using mission control so rides get lost. Had to manually enter data. How do you guys deal with this? Mastermind kept counting/showing speed, cadence, battery, ride distance and ride time so didn’t bother with phone. And it rained so dead phone battery + rain means phone goes in ziplock/ saddle bag. I am curious what you do for long rides.

Tires: Feel envy of those skinny road tires but pathfinder sport do a good balance of paved and non-paved. Did remarkably well on gravel roads actually. I might look into a set for paved or pathfinder pro once I get my first puncture.

Overall it was a great ride that I didn’t want it to stop but gotta have dinner right. Ended at the brisk of night and except for upper middle back pain everything feels just fine this morning.

Attachments

• 16B839AB-5A72-4064-8755-60ECFBF2F975.jpeg
    16B839AB-5A72-4064-8755-60ECFBF2F975.jpeg
    213.9 KB · Views: 105
Phone: Phone battery died using mission control so rides get lost. Had to manually enter data. How do you guys deal with this? Mastermind kept counting/showing speed, cadence, battery, ride distance and ride time so didn’t bother with phone. And it rained so dead phone battery + rain means phone goes in ziplock/ saddle bag. I am curious what you do for long rides.
If you have an iPhone and you know you’re going on a long ride, you can set it to “Low Power Mode” in the battery setting (not sure if Android phones have that, but I would assume so). When I had an older phone with shorter battery life, I used to bring along a power bank (Anker) and keep the phone charged for an extended period.

Shoes: Snickers on stock pedals with no slip. Felt I could use those platform pedals with mountain bike shoes to gain some efficiency while pulling up. Mostly towards end of the day I felt I was slow with legs and could benefit with good pedals and right SPD shoes
My Shimano MT7 shoes are the most comfortable SPD shoes that I've owned. They're sort of intended more for "bikepacking" than hard-core MTB riding and are flexible enough to make them comfortable for walking around while still being stiff enough for riding. Also, once I had shoes with the Boa lacing system I never wanted shoes without it! :)

My Shimano MT7 shoes are the most comfortable SPD shoes that I've owned. They're sort of intended more for "bikepacking" than hard-core MTB riding and are flexible enough to make them comfortable for walking around while still being stiff enough for riding. Also, once I had shoes with the Boa lacing system I never wanted shoes without it! :)
My Adidas Freerider Pro are the best non-SPD cycling shoes. Just for record :)

I will have to see if I can find my size locally. But are they really REASONABLE for walking, say, pavement?

My Adidas Freerider Pro are the best non-SPD cycling shoes. Just for record
I agree, though I have the scabs on my shins from the Stamp 1 pedals from sudden stops from riding in the city (DC) with my ebike group on a very touristy Saturday
I agree, though I have the scabs on my shins from the Stamp 1 pedals from sudden stops from riding in the city (DC) with my ebike group on a very touristy Saturday
I’m loving my Specialized “Bennies” pedals thanks to advice from Bryan at the EBike store in North Portland and many EBR posters who also noted big improvement. At $80, a pretty good value.

I’ve gotta agree. The combo of the Freeriders and Stamp 1 pedals gets pretty close to clipless on the upstroke.
The best combination indeed. You actually need to raise your feet slightly off the pedals to "disconnect" them! Bennies are getting good reviews too. I currently use Race Face Chesters on my Vado SL; these are too small for my feet compared to Stamp 1 Large.
I will have to see if I can find my size locally. But are they really REASONABLE for walking, say, pavement?
Yes you can indeed walk in them but not as conveniently as in regular trainers. The sole of Freeriders is stiff. You appreciate it very much when you are riding. When walking, the Freeriders Pro are far more comfortable than any SPD shoes. Not sure how it is in your country but I can order Freeriders from the Adidas store online here.

The best combination indeed. You actually need to raise your feet slightly off the pedals to "disconnect" them! Bennies are getting good reviews too. I currently use Race Face Chesters on my Vado SL; these are too small for my feet compared to Stamp 1 Large.

Yes you can indeed walk in them but not as conveniently as in regular trainers. The sole of Freeriders is stiff. You appreciate it very much when you are riding. When walking, the Freeriders Pro are far more comfortable than any SPD shoes. Not sure how it is in your country but I can order Freeriders from the Adidas store online here.
I've always been reluctant to buy shoes online. I really prefer having my feet in them. I've found even the same shoe and size can vary in fit and finish.

I've always been reluctant to buy shoes online. I really prefer having my feet in them. I've found even the same shoe and size can vary in fit and finish.
No return policy where you live?
After I bought my first pair of AFPs, I was delighted. That pair was later destroyed in my house fire. As I knew the size, I just ordered the same size, different colour. The shoes fit again!

No return policy where you live?
After I bought my first pair of AFPs, I was delighted. That pair was later destroyed in my house fire. As I knew the size, I just ordered the same size, different colour. The shoes fit again!
ONLINE purchases - it is more the hassle of returning items that don't fit and shoes probably are the most fit-specific. I can buy shirts and shorts - no real problem. I just looked and my Pearl Izumi shoes are size 47 while my Hooka walking shoes are size 45. I also have a wide foot and smushing them into narrow toe-box can create real issues. Now generally Amazon is an easy return - just go to Whole Foods or one of their nearby return stops. But smaller out-of-town bike shops - not so easy, if they allow returns.

Now from what I see REI has them so I may hit there after physical therapy this morning.

ONLINE purchases - it is more the hassle of returning items that don't fit and shoes probably are the most fit-specific. …

i’m with you, i hate returning things. so wasteful and occasionally time consuming. plus the fact that if everyone bought everything online little or no money would go to local communities and neighbors, shops would all go out of business, and everyone would have to work for amazon or UPS. not a world i want to live in 😂

i’m with you, i hate returning things. so wasteful and occasionally time consuming. plus the fact that if everyone bought everything online little or no money would go to local communities and neighbors, shops would all go out of business, and everyone would have to work for amazon or UPS. not a world i want to live in 😂

Oh, my. An apocalyptic (let me tell you, finding the spelling was itself apocalyptic) vision if I ever read one. But years ago, I decided similarly that if I purchased prescription drugs online, the local pharmacy would not be there when I needed some drug within the hour or day. I prefer to keep the locals employed and in business.

I agree with them totally!
I’ve been coming back to getting the shock stop since I’m riding much more gravel and the bumps hurt my elbows and shoulders. For my current setup, I have an extended that raises the handlebars 3 or 4 inches. My new specialized dealer LBS says, and I’ve come to agree, that the extender makes steering wobbly and thus dangerous.

They suggested removing the extender and going with the 30 degree Shockstop instead. So far I have two issues with this idea. One, won’t the new handlebar position expand the reach so I might have issues with saddle position? In other words, this could have a negative effect on fit.

The other issue is the 31.8 mm model won’t be available until late summer. If then.

Back