Specialized Turbo Vado SL: An Incredible E-Bike (User Club)

When you changed the stock stem to adjustable/angled stem what did you do for the headlight mount?
I am thinking of doing a 30–60-degree angle and want to find a place for the headlights.
I used this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CPJMCDX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details. It was not without issues, as I had to use a file to narrow the center tab so that the headlight would fit over it. It doesn't matter now since I am out of ideas for finding a riser stem that works with the FutureShock. The Ritchey stem that I just got was listed on Performance Bike as having a 40mm stack height and when I received it I found that it was 45mm. :mad:

I'd like to see Specy produce a completely carbon fiber frame VadoSL. Keep the future shock and add a rear suspension like the Moots YBB. Also - add a small compartment in the frame for Apple Airtag. Would also like to have the ability to control the front/rear lights so I can have them flashing as opposed to steady. Think they could internally route the mode control button too for one less cable up front.

I'd like to see Specy produce a completely carbon fiber frame VadoSL. Keep the future shock and add a rear suspension like the Moots YBB. Also - add a small compartment in the frame for Apple Airtag. Would also like to have the ability to control the front/rear lights so I can have them flashing as opposed to steady. Think they could internally route the mode control button too for one less cable up front.
I would absolutely buy this! I would also love to see it offered with carbon rims, bar, seat post, etc. Basically, if a component is available in carbon, I’m on board!

Santa Cruz uses a bar designed for internally routed cables. The result is an extremely clean look. VadoSL is in desperate need of this upgrade!

Also love the Chris King headset option on the Moots! A little bling is my thing!💟

Last edited:
Well I have about 350 miles on the SL4 now and am really enjoying it. I've reached what I think is the final configuration, though I also have a set of 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Almotions that I really like. Installed in the photo are the 45mm Pirelli Cinturatos, measuring 47mm on the bike.

After years of running the Cane Creek Thudbusters I've given up on them and turned to the Redshift suspension post. I like it a lot better, and I think it looks much better as well. The weakness with Thudbusters has always been the clamp mechanism. Adjusting tilt is like guesswork, it's a real pain. Also, the one I tried on this bike would not stay in one position no matter how hard I cranked it down. Back it went.

At first I had the 30-degree Redshift stem but I didn't like the way it pointed straight up in the air, so I swapped it for the 6-degree and installed the Deity 80mm riser bars I had on my Vado 5. Since I need the bars an inch or two above my saddle this is working very well.

I'm riding in flat Florida and pedaled the bike to 25.6 MPH today, at max effort in light wind. I think the bike has enough power for my needs. The only time I have wished for more is in an intense headwind. On this bike I find myself averaging around 17MPH, and I only use whatever power I need to get over 16. I am definitely burning more calories than I did on the 5.0!

All in all, great bike and I'm happy with the purchase :)

For anyone who just wants accurate speed, time and distance, that $30 rechargeable bike computer from Amazon works extremely well.

Lastly, a question: for those of you with the range extender, do you leave it on the bike all the time? Most of the time I won't need it, but I'm wondering if lightening the load on the main battery might be good in the long run...

IMG_3389.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

Well I have about 350 miles on the SL4 now and am really enjoying it. I've reached what I think is the final configuration, though I also have a set of 50mm Schwalbe Marathon Almotions that I really like. Installed in the photo are the 45mm Pirelli Cinturatos, measuring 47mm on the bike.

After years of running the Cane Creek Thudbusters I've given up on them and turned to the Redshift suspension post. I like it a lot better, and I think it looks much better as well. The weakness with Thudbusters has always been the clamp mechanism. Adjusting tilt is like guesswork, it's a real pain. Also, the one I tried on this bike would not stay in one position no matter how hard I cranked it down. Back it went.

At first I had the 30-degree Redshift stem but I didn't like the way it pointed straight up in the air, so I swapped it for the 6-degree and installed the Deity 80mm riser bars I had on my Vado 5. Since I need the bars an inch or two above my saddle this is working very well.

I'm riding in flat Florida and pedaled the bike to 25.6 MPH today, at max effort in light wind. I think the bike has enough power for my needs. The only time I have wished for more is in an intense headwind. On this bike I find myself averaging around 17MPH, and I only use whatever power I need to get over 16. I am definitely burning more calories than I did on the 5.0!

For anyone who just wants accurate speed, time and distance, that $30 rechargeable bike computer from Amazon works extremely well.

Lastly, a question: for those of you with the range extender, do you leave it on the bike all the time? Most of the time I won't need it, but I'm wondering if lightening the load on the main battery might be good in the long run...

View attachment 127754

View attachment 127755
That colour is so nice. Beautiful bike, have fun!

View attachment 127754

View attachment 127755

View attachment 127754

View attachment 127755
@DanInStPete Was there enough cable slack when you put on the new high-rise Deity handlebars.

View attachment 127754

View attachment 127755

Good for you getting it the way you like it. Looks really good too with the supplemented gear.

My VadoSL4 never fails to impress. Decided to take it MTB'ing and except for some roots - really not a bad ride. These paths pretty easy but nothing like riding to the trails and then riding the trails on the same machine. Just perfect. Loving my SL4 more everyday. It'll be a year old next week and will have to update my original review. It's even better than I thought!

2022-07-02 21_25_54-Jul 1, 2022 11_18_08 AM _ E-Bike Ride _ Strava.png

Anyone have a Specialized Turbo Vado SL right side handlebar grip you want to get rid of? I broke of mine when I was putting on my innerbarends. I really like the specialized grips.

My VadoSL4 never fails to impress. Decided to take it MTB'ing and except for some roots - really not a bad ride. These paths pretty easy but nothing like riding to the trails and then riding the trails on the same machine. Just perfect. Loving my SL4 more everyday. It'll be a year old next week and will have to update my original review. It's even better than I thought!

View attachment 127790
That RTP Mountain Bike Trail looks sweet.

I am also finding the same utility of 22VSL5 where I can haul kids in a trailer to school in the morning, commute to work, pick up kids from school, go on a paved bike trail like "Lake Washington Loop", enter some gravel roads like "Redmond powerline" and even get into some single tracks once in a while like "Thrilla in Woodenvilla or Redmond watershed". And I leave my phone in pocket/backpack all the times given mastermind has everything I need to see during the rides. There was so much around my home that I never discovered in last decade.

I simply love the go anywhere nature of this bike with addition of futureshock, carbon fork, 1x12 10-50t and pathfinders. I am going to put innerbarends to see if I can lean forward bit more for paved rides but other than that its perfect combination of utility, speed, climb and workout.

Last edited:
@waghmare I assume you meant "carbon fork" unless you have something that the rest of us do not.

I finally figured out what the issues were with my riding position and solved them with a bit of a posture change and will not be trying to raise the bars. I am also planning on getting the innerbarends for the same reason as waghmare above and concur with him on the overall nature of this bike.

While unsuccessfully experimenting with the stem change, I took the time to swap out the FutureShock spring, replacing the medium with the light one. It makes a noticeable difference and the bike rides like a dream! On a ride today, we went along some back streets into town with sections of heavily cracked old asphalt; the FutureShock and Redshift seatpost let me comfortably ride right over it where on another bike I would probably have got up on the pedals. Makes a big difference given my chronic back problems!

@waghmare I assume you meant "carbon fork" unless you have something that the rest of us do not.

I finally figured out what the issues were with my riding position and solved them with a bit of a posture change and will not be trying to raise the bars. I am also planning on getting the innerbarends for the same reason as waghmare above and concur with him on the overall nature of this bike.

While unsuccessfully experimenting with the stem change, I took the time to swap out the FutureShock spring, replacing the medium with the light one. It makes a noticeable difference and the bike rides like a dream! On a ride today, we went along some back streets into town with sections of heavily cracked old asphalt; the FutureShock and Redshift seatpost let me comfortably ride right over it where on another bike I would probably have got up on the pedals. Makes a big difference given my chronic back problems!
Glad to hear about your right decisions and comfortable rides!

As for me, I used to be wrongly convinced the upright riding position was good for a long time. After I understood my mistake, I did whatever possible to lower the bars, and I added the Innerbarends: It all relieved my back and bum. Adding the full Redshift ShockStop system made my Vado SL 4.0 the most comfortable of my e-bikes (the Redshift stem performs the same action as your FutureShock).

I’ve spent the last two years contemplating the purchase of a Vado SL, reading every review and related message board going. After all, it’s a pretty hefty price tag for a bike! Anyway, my arthritic joints (the ones that are still original) persuaded me to bite the bullet. So now I have just completed the first 100 miles on my Vado… and it’s just brilliant. It’s everything that I hoped for. The ride is not unlike my trusty Crosstrail (with upgraded specs) and the assistance is perfectly realised. I can’t get over how natural the experience feels. The bikes weight compares favourably with the Crosstrail and allows for motorless riding for most of the time and makes lifting it on and off the tow-bar carrier a breeze.

However (there’s always a ‘however’), I’m a bit puzzled by the remaining battery charge being shown at the end of the ride being more than the display reports an hour later at home. For example, at the end of my last ride, the display said 35% but later showed 26%. I don’t understand the reason and wonder if anyone else has reported the same discrepancy. I haven’t needed to charge the battery yet (I’ve been very frugal with power assistance).

I’ve spent the last two years contemplating the purchase of a Vado SL, reading every review and related message board going. After all, it’s a pretty hefty price tag for a bike! Anyway, my arthritic joints (the ones that are still original) persuaded me to bite the bullet. So now I have just completed the first 100 miles on my Vado… and it’s just brilliant. It’s everything that I hoped for. The ride is not unlike my trusty Crosstrail (with upgraded specs) and the assistance is perfectly realised. I can’t get over how natural the experience feels. The bikes weight compares favourably with the Crosstrail and allows for motorless riding for most of the time and makes lifting it on and off the tow-bar carrier a breeze.

However (there’s always a ‘however’), I’m a bit puzzled by the remaining battery charge being shown at the end of the ride being more than the display reports an hour later at home. For example, at the end of my last ride, the display said 35% but later showed 26%. I don’t understand the reason and wonder if anyone else has reported the same discrepancy. I haven’t needed to charge the battery yet (I’ve been very frugal with power assistance).
I could have written this post, especially the comparison to the Crosstrail, which has been my go-to bike for >10 years. The "old trusty" Crosstrail is currently hoisted up in the garage as I've had no urge to ride it lately after getting my SL. And I also like being able to lift the SL onto my carrier without endangering my back, where it would have been dangerous to do that last year with my Vado 4.0.

I've also noticed a discrepancy between the battery level shown at the end of a ride vs the start of the next, but it never seemed like enough to be concerned about (nothing as much as you reported).

Have fun on your new bike!

Got my Innerbarends influenced by Stefan. Moved over my Ergons. Decided to switch the bell over to the other side to make things a little closer together. Also swapped the power control on the left side so it is inside the brakes

Attachments

• 20220706_115015.jpg
    20220706_115015.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 168
Back