Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Sorry to hear about your bike Stefan. I come with similar bad news on my 2022 Vado. Shortly after hitting 1,000 miles, my motor completely cut out while riding (with the battery near full). The display said to check the app for an error message, and the app said "The motor had an internal error. Switch off the bike completely, wait a few seconds and then restart it."

After the restart, I got motor support for about 2 seconds before it died again. Has not come back since. Oddly, the walk assist still works.

My LBS did a firmware update, which didn't fix it, and just filed a warranty claim with Specialized. My bike is my main method of transportation, so I'm concerned about how long it's going to take. I have access to a car most of the time but am debating getting a cheaper pre-owned manual bike while I'm waiting.
Sorry to hear that Coleworld hope that they get it fixed or replace it for you soon good luck

Any updates on your bike?
Yes. There are issues with the MY2017 45 km/h Vado 5.0 as it was not only produced for a year but it is also a European L1e-B moped with a lot of regulations around.

Specialized Warsaw has made these suggestions:
  • The only frame they can get is for Vado 6.0 size S. It is 8 mm shorter than the original frame, and the seat-tube is 50 mm shorter.
  • They would order and pay a 450 mm Kinekt 2.1 seat-post to compensate
  • The frame comes with a suspension fork in MTB Boost size while the original rigid fork was Road Boost. The LBS will throw a new wheel into the bargain.
The new 1.2s motor is there. As my original motor was post-warranty, I will need to pay for the new motor.

The remaining issue is the slightly shorter frame. I intend to buy and install a long Redshift ShockStop stem to compensate for the reach.
I will also need to get the old frame to demolish it at a certified junkyard service to be able to de-register and de-insure the old "moped".

Yes. There are issues with the MY2017 45 km/h Vado 5.0 as it was not only produced for a year but it is also a European L1e-B moped with a lot of regulations around.

• The only frame they can get is for Vado 6.0 size S. It is 8 mm shorter than the original frame, and the seat-tube is 50 mm shorter.
  • The frame comes with a suspension fork in MTB Boost size while the original rigid fork was Road Boost. The LBS will throw a new wheel into the bargain.
The new 1.2s motor is there. As my original motor was post-warranty, I will need to pay for the new motor.

The remaining issue is the slightly shorter frame. I intend to buy and install a long Redshift ShockStop stem to compensate for the reach.
I will also need to get the old frame to demolish it at a certified junkyard service to be able to de-register and de-insure the old "moped".
That is a bummer, Stefan, and I am sorry to hear your beloved Vado is no more. I hope you are able to make the replacement work for you just as well as the original did.

Ugggh...maybe, just maybe, they could offer an offset to apply to a new 2022 or 2023 Vado? It might be worth the effort.

I own as many as three 604 Wh batteries in the older format.
Just be careful you don't spend too much trying to use those old style batteries. I'm listening to an Amazon Audiobook - Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior. It has examples of people making small rational decisions to prevent loss that added up to an irrational decision. I am lucky because the motor on my old Turbo S is no longer made or even serviced. I know I will only be able to ride it until the motor breaks even though I have two good batteries.

Just be careful you don't spend too much trying to use those old style batteries. I'm listening to an Amazon Audiobook - Sway: The Irresistible Pull of Irrational Behavior. It has examples of people making small rational decisions to prevent loss that added up to an irrational decision. I am lucky because the motor on my old Turbo S is no longer made or even serviced. I know I will only be able to ride it until the motor breaks even though I have two good batteries.
These three batteries I own are worth the same today as my Vado alone when I bought it in 2019...

These three batteries I own are worth the same today as my Vado alone when I bought it in 2019...

That's a shame the dealer doesn't have more pull with regard to the frame warranty. If you were riding a size L they need to replace it with the same size or something comparable, that's the whole point with a warranty.

Might consider selling the batteries if they'll get you a new Vado, I imagine that might be an easier path if frames really aren't available?

Okay, new saddle day! Love my Vado SL but never could like the saddle. Had a Brooks years ago on my Rover so I'm trying a Brooks B17 (narrow). Hopefully after break-in , I'll love this saddle. Anybody else riding on a Brooks?

20221208_162152.jpg

Last edited:
Okay, new saddle day! Love my Vado SL but never could like the saddle. Had a Brooks years ago on my Rover so I'm trying a Brooks B17 (narrow). Hopefully after break-in , I'll love this saddle. Anybody else riding on a Brooks?
100 year old saddle design on a 2020's bicycle. One guess as to which part will still be working in 20 years (as long as you give it time to break in). It's a bit of a fashion statement too.

A quote from the Brooks website:

"Our best-selling model for over 100 years, the B17 is the ideal bicycle saddle for commuting, gravel, road cycling and touring + trekking use. Made in England."

@CodyDog: Basically this thread is for the owners of the full-power Specialized e-bikes. There is another thread for Vado SL but never mind :)

1670566805689.png

Funny to mention that but the Specialized Bridge Sport saddle turned out to be most comfortable of all I have owned for that "sporty" setup :) It is because the forward riding position greatly relieves your bum :)

Last edited:
I got my Vado back on Saturday with a new motor installed. LBS filed the warranty claim last Saturday, had confirmation from Specialized on Monday, received the motor Friday, and had it ready for me Saturday morning. Not bad at all, definitely pleasantly surprised after a couple terrible interactions with Specialized Ride Care.

Hoping this motor lasts more than 1,000 miles!

I've got a few B17s sitting around. I've switched to the B67 on 3 bikes. Best I've found so far. Hard to mess up simple.
I've got the B67 too, and I like the comfort (well, still breaking it in...) but does yours squeak? I've torn it apart twice oiling everything and I just can't seem to eliminate squeaks from the springs. Drives me nuts!

I've got the B67 too, and I like the comfort (well, still breaking it in...) but does yours squeak? I've torn it apart twice oiling everything and I just can't seem to eliminate squeaks from the springs. Drives me nuts!
Lol. Yeah it makes noise. I tried to lube mine also to eliminate but didn't. Usually when I start a ride and hear it I start looking for the source and discover it is the seat. Something to live with.

Mine doesn’t really make a lot of noise I guess. You might try paraffin wax which has got me wondering how paraffin wax would work on the leather.

Back