Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

There’s not a whole lot of room between tire and fender. If I rode off road more id probably do the same.
With Vado SL, the mudflap was picking up twigs, and the front wheel was blocked too often, making the rides dangerous. The issue with the mudflap on the "big" Vado was it's behaviour during the e-bike transportation inside my station wagon.

With Vado SL, the mudflap was picking up twigs, and the front wheel was blocked too often, making the rides dangerous. The issue with the mudflap on the "big" Vado was it's behaviour during the e-bike transportation inside my station wagon.
I would put in a vote here for the SKS SpeedRockers, designed for gravel bikes so with better clearance for wider tyres and a velcro/rubber elastic fitting which is good in case of twigs etc blocking. They are very easy to take on & off and they keep me dry & work well even with my chunky SK Pathfinders 43mm.
IMG_3121.jpeg

the SKS SpeedRockers
Yes, lovely! My brother uses some SKS mudguards on his e-MTB, and is very happy with them.

I decided to keep the rear mudguard on my Vado SL as it has never created any issue. However, I am surprised how well the front AssSaver is doing its job; and it is extremely lightweight :) Interestingly, the mudguards of my Vado 6.0 are adequate after removing the "Specialized Pride", or the long mudflap :)

Just a little update.
Can you remember that dreaded LO BAT message in the older TCD-w display? It is of course denoting the low level of the CR1220 battery. That message occurred to me on last Saturday. While I think most of the Vados can operate without the display, it is not the fact for Vado 6.0. Let the button battery die there and the e-bike will die, too :)

How lucky I was to be able to find a spare CR1220 in my drawer, as the battery is pretty rare and cannot be just bought in your next electronic store. Not in Poland for sure.
I replaced the display battery on Sunday. It is noteworthy that the previous 1220 lasted for exactly two years!

My Sunday Vado 6.0 ride was very hard because it was cold and windy. To be able to keep up with the group on a gravel ride, I had to often resort to using the Turbo mode, giving a very high battery consumption of over 14 Wh/km. How good I ride with a spare battery!

I got the low bat message the other day. The local wally world is out of the 1220's. Didn't even have a place for them.
It looks the only way is to order the battery online...
Recently, I was in a situation in which I needed as many as three special batteries: 1220 for the display, CR2 for my alarm U-lock, and the third one (cannot remember the code) for my car card-key.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if the bike operates without the display battery.
Long time ago, I got the information from a Swedish user here his regular Vado could operate without the display battery. It is most probably the same for U.S. Vados. The point is, the EU law (or U.S. laws) do not require an operable speedometer on "just an e-bike". However, my Vado 6.0 (and its earlier incarnation) is Type Approved as a moped. It is required that a moped has the operable speedometer at all times it is ridden. The display version for Vado 6.0 is TCD-w(speed) and it is a modified display. For instance, the speedometer is present on all 5 display pages and cannot be removed by editing the screens. I am positive Vado 6.0 would not work without the battery.

You could do an easy test Marcela. Just remove the 1220 and check if your e-bike works.

P.S. I think the 1220 will be available for many years to come. I can read it has a long shelf life. That's why a replacement battery worked 2 years past the purchase!

Bought a motorcycle and was investigating chain maintenance. The expected life of a chain/sprocket is 20-30k miles. Something like that would be the lifetime of an ebike. Maybe someday...

Bought a motorcycle and was investigating chain maintenance. The expected life of a chain/sprocket is 20-30k miles. Something like that would be the lifetime of an ebike. Maybe someday...
It is enough to weigh both chain types :) Why do not we use automotive brakes on our e-bikes? :)

Hello fellow Vado afficianados. First post on the forum. I was curious to know if anyone here has added a dropper post to their Vado. I am 99.99 % (actually, I am more certain than that) certain that the Vado and Tero share the same frame and some of the Tero models come with an internally routed dropper post, so it seems like it is possible to route a cable that way, but I just don't know how hard it will be to fish the housing through the frame as I have not had the displeasure of removing the crankarm and motor yet on this one.

I owned a 2018 Vado for four years and have had it apart (I also worked in a Specialized shop for five years as a mechanic, Shimano certified technician, etc.) and I'm not scared to get into this one, but if anyone has some prior experience with this task, I'm all ears. The housing on an internally routed dropper needs to be able to move back and forth to replace the cable too, so if it's a teardown every time I want to do something like that, maybe I could live with the external cable afterall. I really would prefer to use an internally routed dropper, but have access to both styles and could go externally routed if I have to.

maybe I could live with the external cable afterall.
I've tried that. It was not a good idea, the thing being ugly and little practical, especially hard with fastening of the cable to the hydroformed top tube.
1676876407969.png

Ever considered a wireless dropper post? :)

I've tried that. It was not a good idea, the thing being ugly and little practical, especially hard with fastening of the cable to the hydroformed top tube.
View attachment 147365
Ever considered a wireless dropper post? :)
The dropper I have that has the external cable routing has the release mechanism up on the saddle clamp area, so the cable housing has to be able to move up and down as the post raises and lowers. Yours look like the release mechanism is in a fixed position. In spite of it being a PITA to install, it's probably best to go with an internally routed cable system.

Was doing a little shopping and found these panniers from Specialized. I remember a while back someone mentioning Spec was going to sell these or something or other. Well here they are, on sale. May be they won't be carrying them in the future. Looks like they will fit a grocery sack. Two on the way:)

Thank you Rich for the idea! I though those bosses were perhaps for mounting a small triangle frame bag :)

Back