Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

At one time our computer team needed computer hours not generally available where I worked. So we got assigned a computer available between midnight and 8am. It was an awful three months.
And when I worked in an R&D Institute, our room was located in the historical Building 1, which had been owned (together with a huge piece of land) by our pre-war President Ignacy Mościcki "The Father of the Chemical Industry of Poland". He started an R&D Institute in Lwów (now: Lvov, Ukraine) in 1922 but the Warsaw Institute was opened in 1928.

At some year, the building was about to be renovated. Our huge window was boarded up... for one year! I was working for a year in artificial lighting! What was even worse, my young collegue was a Guns'N'Roses fan and he tortured me with the music I hated for the same year... :D (Fortunately, he left).

For 20 years? That was really cruel! I was working in a sugar-plant for only 112 days on a swing shift, and a given shift was kept for 10 days. No Sundays or holidays of course. Well, only 112 days for a young bachelor was not that dramatic.
The swing shift was not a choice but the staying up for extended periods was living the life:). That part was a choice. I don't think I'd want to do it now but the younger years was doable. That was just a picture of how long a person might stay awake. The day after the mid my biorhythm would be so messed up, the middle of the day my body and mind would shut down and that was the signal for time to take a nap. I could stay awake through this but better to lay down for a couple hours.

So these people doing extended staying awake periods can do it, but sooner or later they have to make up for lost sleep.
At one time our computer team needed computer hours not generally available where I worked. So we got assigned a computer available between midnight and 8am. It was an awful three months.
I worked at a softball complex in my teen years during the graveyard shift after everybody was gone for about 3 months. Never got used to that.

I worked a 28 day swing shift for 6 months once. It was odd. 4 nights on 3 days off 3 days on 1 day off 3 nights on 3 days off 4 days on 7 days off.

So you worked 14 out of every 28 days and had a stretch of a week off every cycle. They were 12 hour shifts. The week off was nice, but it was all over the place so you used the first day or so to right your body. It was nice for taking long vacations though.

Learned a lot on that assignment, but no idea how people worked a career like that.

I think with one spare battery, a person just might be able to pull off a Tour Divide run. NOT in a racing capacity.
For example, on my Trek Powerfly 5 I can get very close to 60 miles on the battery if I’m using Eco Mode. (I just use my Trek as an example because it’s a hard tail mountain bike.)
If you had a 120-mile range, (spare battery) you could conceivably get to the next town/motel for recharging.
Granted, you would have a fortune in motel bills, etc. and there may be areas where you’d be pedaing unassisted if the distance between civilizations was too great.
I think it would be neat idea for a manufacturer of electric bike models to attempt.
Of course you’d have all the ‘it’s-not-a-real-bike’ mumbo jumbo.
Probably want a charger for each battery, too, come night-time, now that I think of it.
Lots of interesting journals on crazyguyonabike from people who’ve done the GDMBR in ‘tour mode’ on non-electrics.

PS- Some of you folk’s work schedules sound like hell on earth!!!!!

Very interesting video indeed! (It makes me convinced I could take part in a reasonably long gravel race on my Vado SL. I cannot break myself to buy and install aerobars though...)

I had similar feelings when I was demo riding a Tero 3.0. Are both suspension forks you mention compatible with the bikes?
Stefan-
From my research- and I don’t claim to be an expert….
The wonderful SunRace I have on my Vado 4 is shown to be Mobie 32 model, with 80mm travel and a 476 axle-to-crown length.

While I prefer Fox components (from my MTB experience) the RockShox Reba is about the best combination of price/fork travel/geometry requirements I could come up with.

The RockShox Reba in a 27.5 model, 120mm travel has a 507 axle-to-crown measurement.

By changing the air shaft to a 100mm, that drops the axle-to-crown measurement to 487, which is pretty close to the 476mm on the ‘two-pipes-welded-together’ SunTour, and should have. minimal effect on head tube and seat tube angles.

Now, other considerations are, what about lugs on the fork for fender mounts, and front headlight?

I have some VersaMounts, I believe they’re called, by Topeak, that will substitute as mounting locations for the front fender stays…unsure about headlight mounting yet.

That is my plan…

And other note- it is true that the Reba is not an e-rated fork, so if that is a concern for anyone, there’s that to consider.

Now, I see Fox has a fork out called the AWL (Adventure Without Limits) but from what I can gather it is not available aftermarket- at least yet. Couldn’t find a lot of information on it, but I was attracted to it because of the 34mm stanchions Fox states it has.

I don’t mean to rag on SunRace- I use many of their cassettes. When you’re accustomed to mid-upper level air shocks, the shortcomings of a budget spring fork-of any manufacturer-are just much more readily apparent.

Sorry for the lengthy recitation.
edited SunTour to SunRace

Last edited:
Yes, axle spacing will be good.
And the thread in the fork matching your thru-axle? :D

You see, my specific MY2017 Vado has a rigid fork. The front wheel hub/thru-axle are indeed specialized as it is an uncommon 12x100 mm size with 1 mm thread in the fork. If I wanted to swap the fork for something suspended, I would have to probably replace the wheel (or use another hub and rebuild the wheel) and use a new thru-axle. Then, I would need to consider whether the new fork would fit the head-tube/steerer. And wonder if the new fork would disrupt my Vado's geometry. No, I would not do that.

I use suspension handlebars, 2" Specialized Electrak low-pressure tyres, am extremely happy I do not need to struggle with the Suntour fork, and my Vado is generally more lightweight at 24 kg (in the factory setup).

Last edited:
Not exactly along the lines of the conversation but reminded me of a past fork experience.

My first e-bike was a Rad Rover with a very heavy mechanic suspension fork. I replaced it with a solid fork (Surly ice cream fork) and the ride and handling improved significantly. If I had A Vado and rode mostly pavement, I would prefer a solid fork and soften the ride with a proper tyre arrangement or seat/handle bar suspension. My wife's Como 3 has a solid fork and we ride chip seal roads with no issue.

I no longer have the Rad but here's a picture with the solid fork.

IMG_7066.jpg

Appreciate you sharing that, CodyDog!

I would not be at all opposed to a rigid fork, be or carbon or steel…just haven’t came across one with a tapered steer tube and a similar A/C measurement.

Upgrade day! Finally found a place with Ergon GP3 grips. Broke them in with a 24 mile ride with a Biergarten in the middle. The city I went to University in was having their annual summer solstice Jazz festival. Biking, beer, and live music. Perfect start to summer (3 days early).

Very interesting video indeed! (It makes me convinced I could take part in a reasonably long gravel race on my Vado SL. I cannot break myself to buy and install aerobars though...)

I had similar feelings when I was demo riding a Tero 3.0. Are both suspension forks you mention compatible with the bikes?
So the fork is but I am waiting on the axle adapter, I think at least that what my son said he is a General
Manager for a local bike stores/company.

@Igor M, please give your Vado SL this try: Instead of using 60/60% assistance, set your e-bike to 40/100%. You might be positively surprised! While using similar amount of the battery charge, it will reward your effort with increased assistance. @Nubnub has been talking about it a lot but only now I believed him :)
I thought this was an interesting tip, so I tried it yesterday on my Creo. I went on a 42 mile ride, total out and back (Foothills Trail in Washington State, for those who know it). It’s a mostly flat trail, with only about 500 feet of elevation gain over the 21 mile outbound route. I set Sport mode as suggested (40/100), and left it there for almost the entire ride, aside from a few short stints in Eco just to compare, and a very short stretch in Turbo to get up the one big hill at the turnaround point.

It’s difficult to state exactly how it affected the experience, as a lot of is is subjective. However, I normally am frequently changing modes, and was able to stay in Sport with no issues, aside from that one hill. I also noticed that I shifted gears less than normal, though that may be because I wasn’t as anal about my cadence as I normally am.

I used 71% of the battery capacity (range extender stayed home). As this was my longest ride on my Creo thus far, and I’ve never before left it in one mode, I can’t compare entirely objectively, but I definitely used battery capacity at a higher rate than usual. That is not to say it’s not a good idea to use this setting, but more likely the fact I simply didn’t use Eco as I normally would and I allowed a wider cadence range. On the other hand, I didn’t feel like I was going to collapse when I finished the ride either (though the hot tub felt damn good last night!).

Bottom line; I’m going to continue to fiddle with various options, ranging from standard settings to the above modified settings (or similar) to BLEvo’s smart control (which I also like). The only thing I know for sure is I won’t use Mission Control’s Smart Settings, as I didn’t care for that at all when I tried it.

Who knew figuring out how to best use the bike’s capabilities could be a such a hobby within a hobby? I fear I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole.

Last edited:
I thought this was an interesting tip, so I tried it yesterday on my Creo. I went on a 42 mile ride, total out and back (Foothills Trail in Washington State, for those who know it). It’s a mostly flat trail, with only about 500 feet of elevation gain over the 21 mile outbound route. I set Sport mode as suggested (40/100), and left it there for almost the entire ride, aside from a few short stints in Eco just to compare, and a very short stretch in Turbo to get up the one big hill at the turnaround point.

It’s difficult to state exactly how it affected the experience, as a lot of is is subjective. However, I normally am frequently changing modes, and was able to stay in Sport with no issues, aside from that one hill. I also noticed that I shifted gears less than normal, though that may be because I wasn’t as anal about my cadence as I normally am.

I used 71% of the battery capacity (range extender stayed home). As this was my longest ride on my Creo thus far, and I’ve never before left it in one mode, I can’t compare entirely objectively, but I definitely used battery capacity at a higher rate than usual. That is not to say it’s not a good idea to use this setting, but more likely the fact I simply didn’t use Eco as I normally would and I allowed a wider cadence range. On the other hand, I didn’t feel like I was going to collapse when I finished the ride either (though the hot tub felt damn good last night!).

Bottom line; I’m going to continue to fiddle with various options, ranging from standard settings to the above modified settings (or similar) to BLEvo’s smart control (which I also like). The only thing I know for sure is I won’t use Mission Control’s Smart Settings, as I didn’t care for that at all when I tried it.

Who knew figuring out how to best use the bike’s capabilities could be a such a hobby within a hobby? I fear I’ve fallen down a rabbit hole.
Never heard of that trail. Is it pretty scenic? Worth driving from Seattle to Puyallup? I've not been there in quite a while? Use to do an annual ride out of Orting but it has been a long time.

I'd like to know more about how that setting works on my rolling or hilly terrain? I guess I can switch around a bit and check it out.

Today was my second longest ride on my ’22 Vado 4. I rode my normal 40 mile loop via the neighborhood and a long paved bike trail, with some rolling hills and steep grades. With a relatively mild wind (5 mph), I arrived back home with 53% battery left. This was all in ECO mode. I averaged 14.5 mph (leisurely) jaunt. I notice that this Brose motor craves a high cadence…for me, it doesn’t start to really sing until you get up to around 80 to 85 rpm. I think I can get 90 miles on one full charge riding in ECO only. I have tried the 40/100 setting, and it works very well…better than the 75/75 factory Sport setting. Judging by how quickly in that setting I’ve gotten 50% battery usage, I recorded 26 miles. I would guess in Sport mode, on a full charge I could get 50 to 55 miles out of it. I have yet to use Turbo mode, but I will soon. In addition, this motor is quiet.

Attachments

• Specialized Vado 4 new whip.jpg
    Specialized Vado 4 new whip.jpg
    862.8 KB · Views: 144
Never heard of that trail. Is it pretty scenic? Worth driving from Seattle to Puyallup? I've not been there in quite a while? Use to do an annual ride out of Orting but it has been a long time.

I'd like to know more about how that setting works on my rolling or hilly terrain? I guess I can switch around a bit and check it out.
Portions of it are very scenic. None of it passes through industrial areas, but there are a fair number of road crossings (many of which are just stop signs, where most drivers stop and wave bikes across) and it does parallel the Orting highway (two-lane, so not terrible) at times. While the Orting highway is on one side for a while, you’re also passing through farmland, with a nice fruit stand at about the 3.5-4 mile mark.

There’s a nice coffee stand with plenty of outdoor seating, Trailside Coffee, at about the 15-mile mark, which I often stop at….it’s the little things. 😊 Approaching the coffee stand, if on a weekend, watch for the homemade blackberry pie sign…it’s a senior couple operating a small vegetable stand out of their home, and the pie is excellent (worth figuring out how to carry it home)…….if they’re operating this year!

It crosses a couple of beautiful ravines, one with a very long bridge at about 18(?) miles (nice place to stop and soak it all in), and you ride along or cross several rivers and streams. At the 10-mile mark, stop at the top of the small hill, at the picnic tables, and watch for eagles soaring over the river. At about 20 miles, there’s a very popular drive-in restaurant next to the trail, Wally’s, if you’d like to have a meal near the turnaround. If your timing is good, they sometimes host customized-car shows.

The trail starts in Puyallup, and goes all the way through Buckley, ending up with a short gravel section downhill to the White River. There is also an unpaved spur that cuts over from just beyond South Prairie, to Carbonado, which I just saw on a map today so I haven’t explored that yet….I think it may be a little rugged. Later this year, and finishing in 2023, King County is building a pedestrian/bike bridge from the Buckley end, over the White River, and will extend the trail to Enumclaw. Eventually, it’s intended to hit the Cascade foothills, thus the name.

If you want to try a shorter section, there are plenty of parking areas along the way. The park in Orting (at roughly the 7 mile markj is a great place to start, as there is an abundance of parking, you’re past most of the road crossings, and it becomes even more rural.

The Puyallup trailhead is not far from home, and, obviously, it’s my go-to. 😊 I keep threatening to go elsewhere, but I like the convenience.

Portions of it are very scenic. None of it passes through industrial areas, but there are a fair number of road crossings (many of which are just stop signs, where most drivers stop and wave bikes across) and it does parallel the Orting highway (two-lane, so not terrible) at times. While the Orting highway is on one side for a while, you’re also passing through farmland, with a nice fruit stand at about the 3.5-4 mile mark.

There’s a nice coffee stand with plenty of outdoor seating, Trailside Coffee, at about the 15-mile mark, which I often stop at….it’s the little things. 😊 Approaching the coffee stand, if on a weekend, watch for the homemade blackberry pie sign…it’s a senior couple operating a small vegetable stand out of their home, and the pie is excellent (worth figuring out how to carry it home)…….if they’re operating this year!

It crosses a couple of beautiful ravines, one with a very long bridge at about 18(?) miles (nice place to stop and soak it all in), and you ride along or cross several rivers and streams. At the 10-mile mark, stop at the top of the small hill, at the picnic tables, and watch for eagles soaring over the river. At about 20 miles, there’s a very popular drive-in restaurant next to the trail, Wally’s, if you’d like to have a meal near the turnaround. If your timing is good, they sometimes host customized-car shows.

The trail starts in Puyallup, and goes all the way through Buckley, ending up with a short gravel section downhill to the White River. There is also an unpaved spur that cuts over from just beyond South Prairie, to Carbonado, which I just saw on a map today so I haven’t explored that yet….I think it may be a little rugged. Later this year, and finishing in 2023, King County is building a pedestrian/bike bridge from the Buckley end, over the White River, and will extend the trail to Enumclaw. Eventually, it’s intended to hit the Cascade foothills, thus the name.

If you want to try a shorter section, there are plenty of parking areas along the way. The park in Orting (at roughly the 7 mile markj is a great place to start, as there is an abundance of parking, you’re past most of the road crossings, and it becomes even more rural.

The Puyallup trailhead is not far from home, and, obviously, it’s my go-to. 😊 I keep threatening to go elsewhere, but I like the convenience.
Thanks for the detail. I might just head to it. There is/was a pizza place in Carbonado that had a good write up that a friend read about. We thought about heading to it. But she no longer bike rides!

I tried the 40/100% in Sport mode. I thought I was doing a bit better but then the hills were left. But I will try it on a few rides.

Hah, I live just a couple miles from the Foothills Trail. Looking forward to them getting the bridge done, I'm right in the middle of the trail and would much rather ride to Enumclaw than Puyallup.

That said, I'm a big fan of Farm 12 as a pastry stop at the Puyallup end. Really helps minimize the damage from accidentally burning any calories. ;)
Ride to both! 👍. But, yeah, I know what you mean. That’s the better section of the trail.

I’ve passed by Farm 12 more times than I can count, and never stopped. I think it’ll happen soon though, as my wife wants to try it.

My husband's 2018 Vado 6 doesn't connect to the Mission Control app. Does this mean he has a BLOKS display? What he really needs to do is adjust the settings on how much assist he gets in each level. Can that be done on the bike without connecting to Mission Control?

Back