Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

My husband's 2018 Vado 6 doesn't connect to the Mission Control app. Does this mean he has a BLOKS display? What he really needs to do is adjust the settings on how much assist he gets in each level. Can that be done on the bike without connecting to Mission Control?
Why not converted to TCD-w?
Come on! My Vado 5.0 2017 bought in 2019 was BLOKS and it is TCD-w now. Same story with my friend Risto in Finland. And @Marci jo had her 6.0 converted in the U.S.!

Will do. Because I don't think he is getting the boost he should when going up hills. I can pass him, and he is a stronger rider than I am. He feels that he really has to work to come up the hill, and I, while I do have to work, I just have to keep on keeping on and I will get up it.

Will do. Because I don't think he is getting the boost he should when going up hills. I can pass him, and he is a stronger rider than I am. He feels that he really has to work to come up the hill, and I, while I do have to work, I just have to keep on keeping on and I will get up it.
Having the possibility to having the motor tuned is one of the greatest features of Specialized e-bikes. Yes, there was a half-baked Specialized application for BLOKS (and perhaps it is still working although I doubt it) so getting the conversion would turn your man's 6.0 into the modern Turbo would be just fantastic!

Yet, making it a TCD-w e-bike wouldn't improve the boost uphill. He needs to swap his chainring from the 48T to something far smaller such as 38T. I can offer advice.

Swapping to a smaller chainring isn't likely to speed him up, it'd just make the pedaling easier (by making each stroke do less). I'd guess he just keeps the motor turned down instead of increasing the assist on the hills? That is one thing I really wish ebikes could get better at...automatically boosting the assist when you're climbing.

@Marci jo could you chime in?

Mine 2018 Vado 6.0 was converted at my Specialized dealer. Last summer the motor had stopped working and upon analysis the shop rep said they were upgrading to the TCD. And Specialized covered the cost!! A free upgrade on a 5 year old bike. I’m still a bit stunned.
Not sure what your results will be but maybe it’s negotiable.

My next ebike will be a Specialized, purchased through the dealer. A new Como step through, as soon as they are available for test ride.

Swapping to a smaller chainring isn't likely to speed him up, it'd just make the pedaling easier (by making each stroke do less). I'd guess he just keeps the motor turned down instead of increasing the assist on the hills? That is one thing I really wish ebikes could get better at...automatically boosting the assist when you're climbing.
With the 48T chainring, he must be pedalling at very low cadence making both his legs and the motor far less efficient.

Well, chainring size does matter, but so does the cassette. My chainring is a 46t, and my cassette is 10-50t. I rarely need my lowest 3 gears, though they’re appreciated when I do. In my case, a smaller chainring would not be fun.

Well, chainring size does matter, but so does the cassette. My chainring is a 46t, and my cassette is 10-50t. I rarely need my lowest 3 gears, though they’re appreciated when I do. In my case, a smaller chainring would not be fun.
You must live in a different, less hilly Seattle than I do or are years younger! ;)
:eek:

You must live in a different, less hilly Seattle than I do or are years younger! ;)
:eek:
I’m not in Seattle proper, just nearby, and I try to avoid killer hills most days. But I do love a good one on occasion, so I can tell my wife about it. 😊

As to age; 68. Funny story, just today, I got a haircut, and requested their senior discount. The gal looked up at me with a skeptical expression, and said “over 55?”. I laughed, told her my age, and tipped her well. I wonder if she does that with all the old men. 😂

Mine 2018 Vado 6.0 was converted at my Specialized dealer. Last summer the motor had stopped working and upon analysis the shop rep said they were upgrading to the TCD. And Specialized covered the cost!! A free upgrade on a 5 year old bike. I’m still a bit stunned.
Not sure what your results will be but maybe it’s negotiable.

My next ebike will be a Specialized, purchased through the dealer. A new Como step through, as soon as they are available for test ride.
So you had not bought your bike new/at a dealer? Because we got this one used, and I don't know if a dealer will be willing to do much, since we didn't get it from them. Maybe I just have low expectations of modern business...

I’m not in Seattle proper, just nearby, and I try to avoid killer hills most days. But I do love a good one on occasion, so I can tell my wife about it. 😊

As to age; 68. Funny story, just today, I got a haircut, and requested their senior discount. The gal looked up at me with a skeptical expression, and said “over 55?”. I laughed, told her my age, and tipped her well. I wonder if she does that with all the old men. 😂
You are years younger but not off the mark by much. I'm now closer to 80 than 70! My friend keeps trying to get me to go down the hill to the beach at Discovery Park but I don't think the Creo can climb back up. My converted Davidson did it twice but stalled on the third attempt about a block from the top. I pushed it up the rest. I thought I had burned out the motor. But it did restart but I've never tried it again and refuse with the Creo. The motor on the Davidson is stronger but the front hub makes it twitchy - particularly up really steep hills.

You are years younger but not off the mark by much. I'm now closer to 80 than 70! My friend keeps trying to get me to go down the hill to the beach at Discovery Park but I don't think the Creo can climb back up. My converted Davidson did it twice but stalled on the third attempt about a block from the top. I pushed it up the rest. I thought I had burned out the motor. But it did restart but I've never tried it again and refuse with the Creo. The motor on the Davidson is stronger but the front hub makes it twitchy - particularly up really steep hills.
I have two older brothers, one “closer to 80”, and the other not far behind. Neither of them is capable of riding at all, let alone walking without difficulty. I’ve been blessed with good fortune in that regard. My body may hurt, but it’s still functional….and riding makes me hurt less.

I haven’t yet tested my Creo with the absolute worst of hills to determine what it’s capable of, but in my case I suspect the rider would shut down first. 😂 On the other hand, my previous bike, with 85nm of torque, would climb anything. However, it sometimes felt like instead of riding it, it was taking me for a ride, and it had no motor tuning options. I find the Creo, with Mission Control and BLEvo, and it’s lower weight and more nimble handling, to be much more fun overall.

She doesn’t, actually. She can’t imagine someone being older than their grand parents. (I’m 74)

I have two older brothers, one “closer to 80”, and the other not far behind. Neither of them is capable of riding at all, let alone walking without difficulty. I’ve been blessed with good fortune in that regard. My body may hurt, but it’s still functional….and riding makes me hurt less.

I haven’t yet tested my Creo with the absolute worst of hills to determine what it’s capable of, but in my case I suspect the rider would shut down first. 😂 On the other hand, my previous bike, with 85nm of torque, would climb anything. However, it sometimes felt like instead of riding it, it was taking me for a ride, and it had no motor tuning options. I find the Creo, with Mission Control and BLEvo, and it’s lower weight and more nimble handling, to be much more fun overall.
We just have to keep on moving. Today was Wallace Falls and last week, Heybrook Lookout. Various hills on the various loops I do out of Wallingford. Longest rides this year are the Edmonds loop and we did Mercer Island over the 520 and back via I-90 last week.

Yes. Use it or lose it.

I’m more and more loving riding. I rode 3 times last week for a total of 116 miles, and felt great, though tired, after each ride. Conversely, I’ve been unable to ride the past 5 days, and the aches and pains are noticeable. Tomorrow I’ll finally ride again, and I can’t wait!

Back