Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Any noticeable frame flex on your step throughs?
i wondered about that, but if the frame does finally crack at the midpoint I'll deal with that then. I'm 185# also. The fork is an aluminum extrusion, I think I can see it flex going over cobblestone, similar to the spring fork on the Vado, The Vado spring fork has quite a bit of movement fore and aft, I like the Como fork better. But I don't think there is any frame flex at this point, it looks to be pretty stout. The tires provide quite a bit of cushion.

I do like the step through, no more leg hiking.

My Vado 5.0 size L weighs pretty much the same as the Como 5.0 size L step through btw.

i wondered about that, but if the frame does finally crack at the midpoint I'll deal with that then. I'm 185# also. The fork is an aluminum extrusion, I think I can see it flex going over cobblestone, similar to the spring fork on the Vado, The Vado spring fork has quite a bit of movement fore and aft, I like the Como fork better. But I don't think there is any frame flex at this point, it looks to be pretty stout. The tires provide quite a bit of cushion.

I do like the step through, no more leg hiking.

Thank you.

Just a quick question if anyone knows. I FINALLY got my Vado 5 delivered today. They say it’s a 2020.
My question is my headlight is attached to the fender, but I see most Vado 5s seem to be on the handlebars. Does anybody know why it’s one or the other?

Making any real money with a bike shop is very tough. Just getting one to turn a profit is rare. The guy running it is not the owner even if he thinks he is. His money man is the owner. Who may or may not know beans about bikes or the market. Thus you get the problem you lament. If smart people were in control they wouldn't be in the bike biz.

I must be some kind of dumbass then...

Just a quick question if anyone knows. I FINALLY got my Vado 5 delivered today. They say it’s a 2020.
My question is my headlight is attached to the fender, but I see most Vado 5s seem to be on the handlebars. Does anybody know why it’s one or the other?

No specific rhyme or reason, the fender mount is superior so as to make it easier to change out the stem down the road, at least that's been our experience. Plus with the light on the fender you can mount the Flux 1200 light on the bar for some serious illumination when riding at night. That combined with the Stix saddle mount and helmet mount make for plenty of lighting.

It seems that they went to the fender mount mid-model year. I have a 2020 V5 as well. It has the stem mount light that interferes with my handlebar bag. I've had to fab an extension to fix this.

Oh, I'm just giving you a hard time. What's the fastest way to get $100k in the bike business? Start with $1 million ;)

heh heh .. Yeah, I heard something similar when I bought a horse and then some mares to breed. But then was added, " And remember, while you sleep, THEY eat. Ebike definitely a better investme...er, expenditure.

heh heh .. Yeah, I heard something similar when I bought a horse and then some mares to breed. But then was added, " And remember, while you sleep, THEY eat. Ebike definitely a better investme...er, expenditure.

I'm 34, single, it's just myself and my business partner who's wife is a school teacher. We BARELY make enough to put foot on the table. We own everything and don't owe money to anyone, but you can't pay rent with e-bikes...

That said there are some nice benefits, I get to play with bikes all day and ride a Vado 5.0 to the shop!

Speaking of which, I've had Tannus liners in for about 500kms, the additional weight is noticeable when lifting the bike into the repair stand, ride quality is about the same though. No discernible difference in range or anything, perhaps the upgraded wheels offset the additional unsprung weight and rotating mass.

I just did an ODO check on the Como using a measuring wheel.

At the Como ODO indicated 1 mile mark, the measuring wheel indicated 4879, or 401 ft. short of 5280, or 1 mile.

The Como tire circumference is set to 88.78.

Using my old math skills, I come up with the tire circumference needing to be 96.

At the half mile mark because the numbers were different and not exactly half, the math indicated the Como tire circumference needed to be 99.

Interesting the difference between the 1/2 and 1 mile mark.

Where is the Tail Light mounted? I was in the LBS yesterday and they had a couple of ebikes on the floor and the tail lights were moved from under the seat to the rear fender. They said they came in that way.

Well, let me say the the Flux 1200 looks awesome, especially now that I've been doing 5:30 AM rides at dawn for a few weeks now, it would seem to be a logical choice for vision and safety. However, reading some of the miserable reviews (sure, there are. the good ones), regardless of any BS excuses by whomever about Covid, blah, blah, blah this or that, I find it very, very disturbing to read some negative reviews, but mostly something like this: (in the review on the Specialized site)
Link to Specialized site for light: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/flux-1200-headlight/p/159102?color=&searchText=49119-1610
"Expensive junk. Now, after writing a couple of emails to see if Specialized would do anything for me, I've received zero responses to my inquiries."
"I have used it twice and the switch has stopped working. I have called and emailed Specialized support and have received no response"

Brings me to this point; I prior to making a purchasing decision of my Turbo Vado 5.0 had my own issues with inept and unresponsive dealers to get proper info about availability and had to bypass all the BS and just tell a local dealer to order the damn thing. I've been very, very happy with the bike. But again, PRIOR to making ANY purchasing decision (which is what I attempted to do, I attempted to contact Specialized Corporate sales (or ANYONE who would be kind enough to answer the phone to speak with me), zero response, zero call back, zero opportunity, zero anything. So yeah, me too, zero anything!

PRIOR to the 'pandemic', was this the norm for customers who chose Specialized?

I'd love to keep my eggs in one basket, and buy one or 2 more bikes, but the bad taste of the experiences previously and the acknowledgement of others experiences makes me have serious concerns as to what may lie down the road when I may need to go to the head of the class for any reason whatsoever, and nobody answers the call.

So, as much as I'd jump to buy the light referenced here, why? To have stomach pains and hassles and issues, or just piss away the money and write it off?

Alternately, if EU models can get Supernova M99 PRO and we in the US cannot, why can that be? I asked Supernova, and got this response:

According to my list, our M99 Pro is not compatible with the Vado because it only outputs 12V at its light port.Simply plug and play does not work here.
Our M99 Pro needs a voltage of min. 24V - max. 60V. It gets this only from the supply voltage of the batteries.
There the + and - line must be connected.
Afterwards the front light would switch on automatically via the motion sensor as soon as the e-bike is in motion,
and switch off again after a standing time of approx. 4 minutes.
However, we can't tell you whether the Specialized software allows operation or blocks it,
as with the new Bosch motors.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen // Kind Regards

So, in the real world, one would normally deal with a LBS to assist (a Specialized dealer), and if possible, it would be done. If not, then explained why not. Point? Why EU not USA?

I guess the point here is that yup, I expect a lot....a whole lot, from any company I give my money to, any. And if not responsive or accommodating, sure, I go elsewhere, but let's get real. Is this the new norm?

Finally at home! Not even 1 mile yet. Have to wait until tomorrow morning to ride (already 90 degrees at 9:30). When they delivered it clock was set correctly and latest firmware was downloaded. They gave me a card suggesting 40lbs In the trigger tires. I’m 200lbs so I already put 60lbs in them. Sound reasonable?
02F87FB2-EF37-4681-B624-399163D9769D.jpeg

Well, let me say the the Flux 1200 looks awesome, especially now that I've been doing 5:30 AM rides at dawn for a few weeks now, it would seem to be a logical choice for vision and safety. However, reading some of the miserable reviews (sure, there are. the good ones), regardless of any BS excuses by whomever about Covid, blah, blah, blah this or that, I find it very, very disturbing to read some negative reviews, but mostly something like this: (in the review on the Specialized site)
Link to Specialized site for light: https://www.specialized.com/us/en/flux-1200-headlight/p/159102?color=&searchText=49119-1610
"Expensive junk. Now, after writing a couple of emails to see if Specialized would do anything for me, I've received zero responses to my inquiries."
"I have used it twice and the switch has stopped working. I have called and emailed Specialized support and have received no response"

Brings me to this point; I prior to making a purchasing decision of my Turbo Vado 5.0 had my own issues with inept and unresponsive dealers to get proper info about availability and had to bypass all the BS and just tell a local dealer to order the damn thing. I've been very, very happy with the bike. But again, PRIOR to making ANY purchasing decision (which is what I attempted to do, I attempted to contact Specialized Corporate sales (or ANYONE who would be kind enough to answer the phone to speak with me), zero response, zero call back, zero opportunity, zero anything. So yeah, me too, zero anything!

PRIOR to the 'pandemic', was this the norm for customers who chose Specialized?

I'd love to keep my eggs in one basket, and buy one or 2 more bikes, but the bad taste of the experiences previously and the acknowledgement of others experiences makes me have serious concerns as to what may lie down the road when I may need to go to the head of the class for any reason whatsoever, and nobody answers the call.

So, as much as I'd jump to buy the light referenced here, why? To have stomach pains and hassles and issues, or just piss away the money and write it off?

Alternately, if EU models can get Supernova M99 PRO and we in the US cannot, why can that be? I asked Supernova, and got this response:

According to my list, our M99 Pro is not compatible with the Vado because it only outputs 12V at its light port.Simply plug and play does not work here.
Our M99 Pro needs a voltage of min. 24V - max. 60V. It gets this only from the supply voltage of the batteries.
There the + and - line must be connected.
Afterwards the front light would switch on automatically via the motion sensor as soon as the e-bike is in motion,
and switch off again after a standing time of approx. 4 minutes.
However, we can't tell you whether the Specialized software allows operation or blocks it,
as with the new Bosch motors.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen // Kind Regards

So, in the real world, one would normally deal with a LBS to assist (a Specialized dealer), and if possible, it would be done. If not, then explained why not. Point? Why EU not USA?

I guess the point here is that yup, I expect a lot....a whole lot, from any company I give my money to, any. And if not responsive or accommodating, sure, I go elsewhere, but let's get real. Is this the new norm?

"I guess the point here is that yup, I expect a lot....a whole lot, from any company I give my money to, any. And if not responsive or accommodating, sure, I go elsewhere, but let's get real. Is this the new norm?"

Yeah pretty much. I gave up on three different bikes and dealers due to very poor communication or none at all. I finally found someone who was nice and pleasant and answered all my questions. I promptly spent $4.5k. And still I know it's a crap shoot. The guy could just be a smooth operator. But ... getting in to this one should realize that with you tube and forums like this you can learn to wrench any and all aspects of your bike. Parts are a real problem for now however.

I pray daily the bike gets here without much damage. That's another hurdle.

Finally at home! Not even 1 mile yet. Have to wait until tomorrow morning to ride (already 90 degrees at 9:30). When they delivered it clock was set correctly and latest firmware was downloaded. They gave me a card suggesting 40lbs In the trigger tires. I’m 200lbs so I already put 60lbs in them. Sound reasonable?
View attachment 63739
Congrats!

60lbs should be good. 40lbs seems awfully low for these tires considering that Specialized rates them at 50-75psi.

I ride at 55-60lbs.

Back