Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I went by the lbs and did an adjust on the wheel circumference to 2250. On the way back checked the distance between the same two mile markers I used yesterday. 2250 is closer than 2160? that was in there, but it still didn't jive with the mile markers. So dragged out the gps and checked the mile markers, they were long but the bike data was still short of the gps data. I don't think the 2250 is the number, maybe. Depends on how long it takes the gps to update. But I still think the 2250 is short.
I'll still back the ruler over the GPS...😎

To chime in on the dealer side RE tire numbers:

If you're getting bikes from high volume dealers, it's simply an extra step when updating the firmware. As we've seen increased sales volume these "extra steps" beyond getting the bike built can be missed sometimes. There's no excuse as it needs to be done (firmware update and checking tire size) but that's the best reason that I've seen and can surmise larger dealers are challenged with. It's a pretty easy fix on the dealer side when the bike comes in for it's first service. We coach our clients to bring the bike in after 1-2 months or after a few hundred miles just to double check everything on the bike including the software.

In the motorcycle industry the "first service" was a great time to see clients after they've put 600 miles on a bike to check over everything and make sure things are breaking in appropriately. The bicycle industry is now (finally) following suit and it's a great tool to catch anything happening that isn't supposed to.

RE bikes showing error codes:

I've had this happen a couple times on my own Vado 5.0. I take the battery out every day when I park it at my place, in order to charge it in my house (hauling the battery up a flight of stairs is way easier than a 50lb e bike). I simply shut it off and restart and good to go. When I check the logs on the diagnostic tool there aren't any error codes. I suspect Sierratim hit the nail on the head and it's a simple connection issue.

To chime in on the dealer side RE tire numbers:

If you're getting bikes from high volume dealers, it's simply an extra step when updating the firmware. As we've seen increased sales volume these "extra steps" beyond getting the bike built can be missed sometimes. There's no excuse as it needs to be done (firmware update and checking tire size) but that's the best reason that I've seen and can surmise larger dealers are challenged with. It's a pretty easy fix on the dealer side when the bike comes in for it's first service. We coach our clients to bring the bike in after 1-2 months or after a few hundred miles just to double check everything on the bike including the software.

In the motorcycle industry the "first service" was a great time to see clients after they've put 600 miles on a bike to check over everything and make sure things are breaking in appropriately. The bicycle industry is now (finally) following suit and it's a great tool to catch anything happening that isn't supposed to.

RE bikes showing error codes:

I've had this happen a couple times on my own Vado 5.0. I take the battery out every day when I park it at my place, in order to charge it in my house (hauling the battery up a flight of stairs is way easier than a 50lb e bike). I simply shut it off and restart and good to go. When I check the logs on the diagnostic tool there aren't any error codes. I suspect Sierratim hit the nail on the head and it's a simple connection issue.

I wish my LBS was as good with ebikes as your shop. I have not had any good experineces with mine. I bought two 2019 Como 2.0's last year and was never advised to bring the bikes back for any checks or service. The bikes were sold with Bloks display and we were told they were compatible with Mission Control but when I inquired about getting them changed out to the newer display I would have to pay $200 for the new display plus labor for each bike. The erratic no pedal assist issue has never been fixed after two visits (they checked wiring) and the pedal assist on my bike drops out at 17.5 mph which they say is within spec. My front brakes squeeked from week one and when I took the bike in to have that checked the attempted fix involved burning off the pads with a torch; which didn't work. I had to pay $34 for new pad installation which I wasn't happy about. I travell frequently and have spoken to Specilaized techs at high volume dealers in the western US and they all seem much more knowledgeable about ebikes than my LBS. None of the sales people or techs at my shop even own an ebike so they have no first hand user experience at all. Whenever I discuss ebikes with potential new users the first thing I tell them is to make sure whatever brand they buy, make sure the dealer understand ebikes and has an interest in diagnosing/repairing electronics/firmware issues.

I wish my LBS was as good with ebikes as your shop. I have not had any good experineces with mine. I bought two 2019 Como 2.0's last year and was never advised to bring the bikes back for any checks or service. The bikes were sold with Bloks display and we were told they were compatible with Mission Control but when I inquired about getting them changed out to the newer display I would have to pay $200 for the new display plus labor for each bike. The erratic no pedal assist issue has never been fixed after two visits (they checked wiring) and the pedal assist on my bike drops out at 17.5 mph which they say is within spec. My front brakes squeeked from week one and when I took the bike in to have that checked the attempted fix involved burning off the pads with a torch; which didn't work. I had to pay $34 for new pad installation which I wasn't happy about. I travell frequently and have spoken to Specilaized techs at high volume dealers in the western US and they all seem much more knowledgeable about ebikes than my LBS. None of the sales people or techs at my shop even own an ebike so they have no first hand user experience at all. Whenever I discuss ebikes with potential new users the first thing I tell them is to make sure whatever brand they buy, make sure the dealer understand ebikes and has an interest in diagnosing/repairing electronics/firmware issues.

Sorry to hear that, as busy as all shops are, maybe when things cool off (if they do) share your feelings with an owner or manager? Perhaps they don't know they've treated you this way? It sounds strange, but it's happened.

Where are you located? Traveling for service is tough as there's always something to go back for.

The TCD display is $165 for the part. We comp the install or sometimes the entire upgrade on Blox bikes depending on how the display is working or not working.

Sorry to hear that, as busy as all shops are, maybe when things cool off (if they do) share your feelings with an owner or manager? Perhaps they don't know they've treated you this way? It sounds strange, but it's happened.

Where are you located? Traveling for service is tough as there's always something to go back for.

The TCD display is $165 for the part. We comp the install or sometimes the entire upgrade on Blox bikes depending on how the display is working or not working.

I am in Columbus,Ohio. The only Specialized dealers I know of that handle ebikes are in Akron or Cincinnati, both over two hours away.

I am in Columbus,Ohio. The only Specialized dealers I know of that handle ebikes are in Akron or Cincinnati, both over two hours away.

Are there closer dealers that don't stock the Specialized e bikes? They can still perform the service side of things, should they desire.

Blows me away that you could have the Specialized line and not align with the ebike side of things. I get it if you're strictly a specialty shop, but why not have the ability to do the basic service??! It's not that hard!

It's the fastest growing market segment with solid demand and yet shops keep thumbing their nose. Amazing.

Today I had to drop off my Como 5 at the shop after 320 miles and 5 weeks of ownership. The motor drive belt is toast. The shop, Bike Source in Charlotte, is going to see what they can do to expedite the new motor from Specialized/Brose. They said normally this is 2-3 week ordeal to get the bike back. I assured them that would be most disappointing as I have invested quite a lot in Specialized by buying the 5.0 for myself and 4.0 for my wife. I would hope that some of the shipping time could be expedited with next-day or 2-day shipping. He said he would do everything he could to see that this happens. Let's see how it goes. :(

Now my Giant Revolt E+ Pro will get ALL the miles until this is fixed :)

Today I had to drop off my Como 5 at the shop after 320 miles and 5 weeks of ownership. The motor drive belt is toast. The shop, Bike Source in Charlotte, is going to see what they can do to expedite the new motor from Specialized/Brose. They said normally this is 2-3 week ordeal to get the bike back. I assured them that would be most disappointing as I have invested quite a lot in Specialized by buying the 5.0 for myself and 4.0 for my wife. I would hope that some of the shipping time could be expedited with next-day or 2-day shipping. He said he would do everything he could to see that this happens. Let's see how it goes. :(

Now my Giant Revolt E+ Pro will get ALL the miles until this is fixed :)

Fingers crossed! Sounds like you've got a good shop and they've got the ball rolling. Keep us posted!

Can anyone chime in and comment on why 'the motor drive belt is toast'?
I know each case is an individual issue, but given the history of the Brose motors having a high incidence of failures, one might want to know indicating signs of imminent failure, steps that have been taken by the manufacturer to address the continuous issues that seem to be discussed about from time to time, etc.
Just want to be prepared so in the event I'm 50+ miles from home in a far away place that I can prepare for a rescue team, if needed.

Poking around, I found these belts, in case anyone needs them or has no warranty. Uuuuugggggh!

Additionally, not sure if this is relevant, but I also stumbled across this posting from a year ago and not sure if these problems have been addressed or resolved. Interesting part towards the end of the discussion about riding in Turbo all the time toasts the belts/motors....see:
(I know it's about another level of motor/bike, but the point is it's a Brose, and just putting it out there to see if it has been resolved with the latest products being sold now.

Last edited:
Can anyone chime in and comment on why 'the motor drive belt is toast'?
I know each case is an individual issue, but given the history of the Brose motors having a high incidence of failures, one might want to know indicating signs of imminent failure, steps that have been taken by the manufacturer to address the continuous issues that seem to be discussed about from time to time, etc.
Just want to be prepared so in the event I'm 50+ miles from home in a far away place that I can prepare for a rescue team, if needed.

Nothing like some loose internet conjecture to really clear things up...

I am a new member of this club. I got my Vado 5 SL EQ on Thursday. So far everything is working great and I am quickly getting the hang of this sweet ride. Last bike was a Sirrus Sport which has very similar geometry. This is my first e bike but I have rented them for bike tours while in Vegas (Red Rocks and River Mountain trails). I was reluctant to buy an e bike until I rode this one. The non-SL bikes although more powerful, seem too heavy and not as easy to navigate the winding bike trails that I like to ride. I am 63 and ride a bike for exercise and to just be outside so this lighter weight e bike was a great fit for my use cases. Even with no assistance, this bike handles much like my Sirrus and is almost as easy to pedal. So if I run out the battery, it’s basically just like being on my old bike.

Skimming through this thread I realized that my LBS hit it out of the park delivering my Vado 5 SL. I got an hour test ride which allowed me to see how the bike will perform on my local trails. After the test ride they put the bike on a free 24 hour hold so I could make a purchase decision. After I decided that I want to buy it, the LBS manager gave it a final mechanical tune up, updated the software and walked me through the connection process to Mission Control. The tire diameter is correct too. He also told me to come in at least once a year to check for software updates. His attention to these important details has made this a very positive purchase experience for me.

I am looking forward to watching this site so I can to continue learning about my e bike.

Everyone ride safely and stay healthy.

Jeff C

I am a new member of this club. I got my Vado 5 SL EQ on Thursday. So far everything is working great and I am quickly getting the hang of this sweet ride. Last bike was a Sirrus Sport which has very similar geometry. This is my first e bike but I have rented them for bike tours while in Vegas (Red Rocks and River Mountain trails). I was reluctant to buy an e bike until I rode this one. The non-SL bikes although more powerful, seem too heavy and not as easy to navigate the winding bike trails that I like to ride. I am 63 and ride a bike for exercise and to just be outside so this lighter weight e bike was a great fit for my use cases. Even with no assistance, this bike handles much like my Sirrus and is almost as easy to pedal. So if I run out the battery, it’s basically just like being on my old bike.

Skimming through this thread I realized that my LBS hit it out of the park delivering my Vado 5 SL. I got an hour test ride which allowed me to see how the bike will perform on my local trails. After the test ride they put the bike on a free 24 hour hold so I could make a purchase decision. After I decided that I want to buy it, the LBS manager gave it a final mechanical tune up, updated the software and walked me through the connection process to Mission Control. The tire diameter is correct too. He also told me to come in at least once a year to check for software updates. His attention to these important details has made this a very positive purchase experience for me.

I am looking forward to watching this site so I can to continue learning about my e bike.

Everyone ride safely and stay healthy.

Jeff C

Heck yeah Jeff, you've got a great shop, make sure to let them know you're happy too! Those compliments and feedback do wonders on the other side of things.

Heck yeah Jeff, you've got a great shop, make sure to let them know you're happy too! Those compliments and feedback do wonders on the other side of things.
At the time I bought the Sirrus, I hadn’t been in a bike shop in 20 years. The LBS manager spent a lot of time with me explaining what the differences were in the bikes and why it was a good fit for my my desire to ride the local paved trails. When the Vado SL piqued my interest, I didn’t consider going anywhere else.

I know the LBS are swamped so I don’t go in there during busy times like the weekends. I am blessed to be retired now so I can go in during the slower times.

They have a local website so I can post a positive review there.

At the time I bought the Sirrus, I hadn’t been in a bike shop in 20 years. The LBS manager spent a lot of time with me explaining what the differences were in the bikes and why it was a good fit for my my desire to ride the local paved trails. When the Vado SL piqued my interest, I didn’t consider going anywhere else.

I know the LBS are swamped so I don’t go in there during busy times like the weekends. I am blessed to be retired now so I can go in during the slower times.

They have a local website so I can post a positive review there.

Forgot to say congrats on the new bike! When you cruise through there make sure to tell their team you're stoked too! Thanks Jeff, keep us posted on your rides! Post a pic of the bike too!

I am a proponent of more than one Christmas a year. So I obliged.

My Como 5.0 showed up today. What is not to like. I also have the Vado 5.0 btw. I was wanting more of a cruiser.

Like the position. Like the tires. Like the seat. Very nice setup. And the parts will interchange between the two, battery, etc.

Battery hasn't showed up yet, as it is going around the world in the other direction, but time will drop it on my doorstep. Riding the Como without the battery and extra weight is almost like riding any other non ebike. Pretty nice ride.

Seems my stable is growing.

And I did get the step through, again, what is not to like:).

My Como 5.0 showed up today. What is not to like. I also have the Vado 5.0 btw. I was wanting more of a cruiser.

Like the position. Like the tires. Like the seat. Very nice setup. And the parts will interchange between the two, battery, etc.

Battery hasn't showed up yet, as it is going around the world in the other direction, but time will drop it on my doorstep. Riding the Como without the battery and extra weight is almost like riding any other non ebike. Pretty nice ride.

I found out how low I can let the battery go before it stops providing support: 5%. that’s a lot of bike to push home without the assist. Won’t be doing that again.

I found out how low I can let the battery go before it stops providing support: 5%. that’s a lot of bike to push home without the assist. Won’t be doing that again.
Other than an extra 25# I find the bikes like any other bike. You dial 911 they'll give you a ride home:).

Noticed on my display today, the bike came in from the west coast, the display was off 2 hrs which is correct, this morning the display showed correct time, I didn't reset it. It either reset through the iphone when I changed settings or the gps.

Other than an extra 25# I find the bikes like any other bike. You dial 911 they'll give you a ride home:).

Noticed on my display today, the bike came in from the west coast, the display was off 2 hrs which is correct, this morning the display showed correct time, I didn't reset it. It either reset through the iphone when I changed settings or the gps.
I haven't read anything that indicates the bikes have gps so it must have updated when you connected through the MC app.

Are there closer dealers that don't stock the Specialized e bikes? They can still perform the service side of things, should they desire.

Blows me away that you could have the Specialized line and not align with the ebike side of things. I get it if you're strictly a specialty shop, but why not have the ability to do the basic service??! It's not that hard!

It's the fastest growing market segment with solid demand and yet shops keep thumbing their nose. Amazing.

Making any real money with a bike shop is very tough. Just getting one to turn a profit is rare. The guy running it is not the owner even if he thinks he is. His money man is the owner. Who may or may not know beans about bikes or the market. Thus you get the problem you lament. If smart people were in control they wouldn't be in the bike biz.

Any noticeable frame flex on your step throughs?

Back