Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I have a bike path next to my place with mile and 1/2 mile markers. Did a test run both ways to cancel any wind effects. With the 86.22 I came up short at the 1/2 mile marker by 50-70 ft., at the mile marker it appeared to be twice the distance. So the 86.22 is a little short. Something like the 2250 or 88.5" might be more the order. I'll be motoring by the lbs to make an adjustment and report back another day.

I used the specifications as per my research and used the numbers as shown in the screenshot.

Wheel Circumference-Vado.png

Pulled out the Garmin GPS. My 86.22 is within .1 to exact at low teens, in the mid 20 mph's it is within .5 mph or the neighborhood. Seems the spread increases as speed increases, but still pretty close.
It's certainly up to you but I trust the figures published by Schwalbe and Ride My GPS (2250mm, 88.6inches) more than I trust the wheel circumference implied by the GPS service we all use in our electronics. It is only ~3% variance bit that's certainly within the error band of the GPS processing we all get from our electronics. The Government's page on GPS accuracy provides a good over view but the bottom line is that a ruler beats GPS for distance measurements...😎

Edit - @Marcela , I just saw your latest post. Looks like we are in agreement.

My 2020 Vado 5.0 was delivered with 622-47 tires. Wheel circumference was set to 2293 because nobody at Specialized bothered about this little detail when the Vado 5.0 got 47mm Trigger tires instead od the Electrak on previous 5.0.
Not a big thing perhaps and in a way understandable but when people report all kinds of numbers for wheel circumference it gets more interesting.
How are these figures entered in the first place?

My 2020 Vado 5.0 was delivered with 622-47 tires. Wheel circumference was set to 2293 because nobody at Specialized bothered about this little detail when the Vado 5.0 got 47mm Trigger tires instead od the Electrak on previous 5.0.
Not a big thing perhaps and in a way understandable but when people report all kinds of numbers for wheel circumference it gets more interesting.
How are these figures entered in the first place?
I can invision a monkey on the assembly line, pushing buttons on a keyboard as the bikes go by......:)

I can invision a monkey on the assembly line, pushing buttons on a keyboard as the bikes go by......:)
Or someone brought their kid with programming interest to the office. Left unattended this talented child enters a random generating instruction in the code😊
Maybe we could see a pattern for these different numbers that owners report if we study bike models and standard tires. I’m still a bit confused but that’s normal😄

Or someone brought their kid with programming interest to the office. Left unattended this talented child enters a random generating instruction in the code😊
Maybe we could see a pattern for these different numbers that owners report if we study bike models and standard tires. I’m still a bit confused but that’s normal😄
I think it's the monkey. My wife and I bought our Vados at the same time but took delivery maybe 10 days apart, plenty of time for some 'monkey business'! The tire circumferences were not even close to each other, nor reality.

Unrelated to the current wheel-circumference/programming discussion, are the displays interchangeable between the Como/Vado models? Can the LCD display on the lower-end models be swapped out for a TFT display found on the higher end como/vado models?

Just like the old days on the GM Assembly line in Linden, NJ. Depending on what day of the week the car was made, it showed in the quality control. It still exists to this day in various industries. Human nature. Until we train the robots to make everything, this is the way it is. Hence (but not always as of late.....) choosing between products based on history of their current and previous customer satisfaction, etc.
For the most part, if the buyer is willing to pay premium prices for higher level quality control and materials, there are manufacturers of various things that fit the bill. It used to be better, but even now the 'better' items sometimes have higher rates of problems, whether it be service or product. Here come the robots.

Unrelated to the current wheel-circumference/programming discussion, are the displays interchangeable between the Como/Vado models? Can the LCD display on the lower-end models be swapped out for a TFT display found on the higher end como/vado models?
All 2020 and later Specialized ebikes use the TCD display controller. This replaced the Bloks display on earlier models. There is a fairly complicated dealer upgrade procedure for the wired TCD-W display on the Como/Vado models to convert from the Bloks to the TCD displays. They are not directly interchangeable on these models, though I'm not sure about the wireless TCD displays.

Some earlier bikes are eligible for a warranty upgrade of their displays. Check with your LBS on this.

Yesterday on my way home from work I noticed right off the bat that the pedal assist on my 2020 Vado 4.0 wasn't kicking in at all. I stopped, turned off the power, turned it back on and it worked fine. I've only got ~400 miles on it, and besides one rogue error message when turning it on another time, this is the only real issue I've had with it. Should I be concerned or is this to be expected from time to time?

All 2020 and later Specialized ebikes use the TCD display controller. This replaced the Bloks display on earlier models. There is a fairly complicated dealer upgrade procedure for the wired TCD-W display on the Como/Vado models to convert from the Bloks to the TCD displays. They are not directly interchangeable on these models, though I'm not sure about the wireless TCD displays.

Some earlier bikes are eligible for a warranty upgrade of their displays. Check with your LBS on this.
Thanks. I was afraid they weren't interchangeable or reverse compatible.

Yesterday on my way home from work I noticed right off the bat that the pedal assist on my 2020 Vado 4.0 wasn't kicking in at all. I stopped, turned off the power, turned it back on and it worked fine. I've only got ~400 miles on it, and besides one rogue error message when turning it on another time, this is the only real issue I've had with it. Should I be concerned or is this to be expected from time to time?
The same happened to my Vado early on. After resetting I was able to ride home with power. I used a plastic friendly electrical contact cleaner on the battery and frame mounted terminals that afternoon. It has not reoccured.

0309201133_Film1.jpg

Be sure to letvthe cleaning solution drip off the terminals and out of the frame's battery compartment so as to not trap contaminates.

Happened to my Vado 5.0 about a month ago. The display was still on and showing that I was in ECO mode. I think that’s the only time I’ve experienced that.
A few times I’ve experienced no power assist after turning on the battery/motor. The display was normal. Tried to go up and down and out of power support but it didn’t help. Turning off and then on was needed.

Happened to my Vado 5.0 about a month ago. The display was still on and showing that I was in ECO mode. I think that’s the only time I’ve experienced that.
A few times I’ve experienced no power assist after turning on the battery/motor. The display was normal. Tried to go up and down and out of power support but it didn’t help. Turning off and then on was needed.
I had a similar experience with my Como 3.0 once and received an error code on the mission control app telling me that I didn't wait the required 5 seconds before turning on the bike after installing the battery. Turning the power off and back on took care of the issue.
Perhaps that is what happened to you?

We have two 2019 Como 2.0's that do this intermitently; the LBS couldn't resolve the problem. Turning powerr off then back on always s fixes it.

I had a similar experience with my Como 3.0 once and received an error code on the mission control app telling me that I didn't wait the required 5 seconds before turning on the bike after installing the battery. Turning the power off and back on took care of the issue.
Perhaps that is what happened to you?
Great tip but that was not what cause my problem as I charged the battery on the bike.

I went by the lbs and did an adjust on the wheel circumference to 2250. On the way back checked the distance between the same two mile markers I used yesterday. 2250 is closer than 2160? that was in there, but it still didn't jive with the mile markers. So dragged out the gps and checked the mile markers, they were long but the bike data was still short of the gps data. I don't think the 2250 is the number, maybe. Depends on how long it takes the gps to update. But I still think the 2250 is short.

So, without creating BVD's(BAD VIBES AND DISTURBANCES), why are WE making decisions as to how the "out of the box" settings should be configured prior to delivery?
Just sayin'

Back