Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Rochrunner,
What didn't you like with the PNW post? I was thinking of getting a dropper post but also wanted the suspension. Granted, it would not be as nice as my current Kindect.
Thanks.
It didn't seem like the suspension was doing anything. I think that I just don't hit the size bumps that it's designed for, even with the pressure set rather low.

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that.
Also people on here will understand you selling something that "just doesn't work for you" better than at an auction of bargan hunters. Hope the new one works out for you.

It didn't seem like the suspension was doing anything. I think that I just don't hit the size bumps that it's designed for, even with the pressure set rather low.
Same here.
Marci Jo, don't replace the Kinect! You better buy yourself a Full Suspension e-MTB instead :D Ah, I found replacement springs for the KInekt in the original box. Since my weight went down, I could replace the orange springs with the black ones soon! :)

My opinion about firmware 7.1.1 is stiil the same. It has taken away the natural feel from the motor support at lower support settings (usually used in Eco mode).
Especially at lower speeds. The bike now sometimes surges forward surprisingly long from a standstill. Seems to be a result of that power support ”lasts longer” after a pedal strike.
Specialized Rider Care US has not responded to my mail where I asked for explanations. Nordic Rider Care answered within a day but their description of 7.1.1 was that it e.g. was supposed to be less sensitve. That is definitely not my experience.
Add to that higher power consumption.
The bike bike still handles great ( Specialized know about frame geometry) The Mission Control app is a very nice festure but app response is a lttle erratic since firmware update ( yes I have updated the app. Deleted and reinstalled too.)
It’s not the bike I bought.

Last edited:
Same here.
Marci Jo, don't replace the Kinect! You better buy yourself a Full Suspension e-MTB instead :D Ah, I found replacement springs for the KInekt in the original box. Since my weight went down, I could replace the orange springs with the black ones soon! :)

Agreed!
And thanks to all for the feedback on the PNW. Gonna keep the Kinect. I too replaced just one spring with the next higher weight bracket. (No weight change for me, just at the upper end of the weight bracket)

It’s perfect! Between the 2.25” (5.71 cm) Schwalbe tires and the seat post the ride is exceptionally smooth. The only bumps I feel are the sneaky pot holes that I’m unable to avoid, but that’s a rare occasion.

Full Suspension emtb.....hmmm. Tempting. I’m concerned it would not have high enough gears for road rides. But I haven’t actually tested one yet. Too bad I can’t rent one for a week or so and really test it.

Full Suspension emtb.....hmmm. Tempting. I’m concerned it would not have high enough gears for road rides. But I haven’t actually tested one yet. Too bad I can’t rent one for a week or so and really test it.
A friend of mine did 31.8 mph on my derestricted Trance on the flat. I can do
25 mph on it. The matter of cadence only! 😃
Bulls E-Stream Evo 45 AM is a Class 3 FS MTB!

Any idea when the 2021 Vado is coming out? When the new bikes come out does Specialized generally discount the leftovers?
Ebike demand has been running very high since the 'pest' arrived. Some models and sizes have been out of stock for sometime. These conditions aren't generally conducive to discounting.

So here is an update from my saga earlier in this thread!

Took the bike over to the dealer (a 200km round trip) for the service and the computer replacement.

Left the bike with them overnight and headed back in at the appointed time only to discover that Specialized had sent them the incorrect parts for the computer replacement - despite them having the serial number. It turns out that my Vado - which was sold by a Specialized dealer here in NZ - is actually a US model. It has a motor that is 100W more powerful than the standard spec for NZ bikes, has brake lights and the built in horn - all of which are not usually on the NZ bikes!

So they ended up doing the non-electric service work (which was all fine) and are working with Specialized NZ to try and get the correct parts etc.

Whilst I was in the store, I took the opportunity to spend some time with the owner, who is qualified by Specialized to do the full on racing bike biomechanical fitting service etc and had him look at the fit of the bike for me. Having flat pedals rather than cleats helps of course - you can just move your foot a bit if need be to adjust position there. He decided the saddle height was incorrect (slightly) and then that, because I have broad shoulders, the standard bars were a bit too narrow to be ideal and produced a wider set for me to hold - som much more natural!

I replaced the standard bars then and there with wider carbon bars (to provide a little damping given there is no suspension fork) and new Ergon GP cork touring grips. I have only had one short ride since but it made what seemed to be a big difference. Today the weather was about 5 Centigrade and rainy, so I did not go out; tomorrow is sunny but cool so I hope to do an hour or so and see how the bars perform. We left them at factory width to start - as the man said, we can trim them but we can't add bits back on..!

So sort of a success but looks like I will have to make another trip if Specialized sort out the computer issue - the bike shop guys had never come across the issue before.

My dealer in the USA told me that about a week ago Specialized extended its warranty on electronics and battery to 4 years. I can’t find anything to verify this, has anybody else heard or read this?

Did you mean UK instead of US? US Vados don't have brake lights and horns and have suspension forks.
Perhaps. The bike store were a bit vague.

It seems to be exactly the same model and spec listed here

They did also say that they had never seen the Electrac tyres in NZ either. The suspension fork was not on the original 5.0 I do not think.

Last edited:
I have wide shoulders and long arms and find the bars are plenty long. Even thought of shortening them a few times.
Handy for you. I find the wider bars better. Perhaps you would be surprised if you tried them? Bike fit is very individual.

Did you mean UK instead of US? US Vados don't have brake lights and horns and have suspension forks.

Rochrunner,

Is it the last few years that the US Vados don't have brake lights or horns?

My older 2018 has brake lights and the most horrible, nasty, obnoxious horn on the planet. Never press it, unless by accident, then other people stare at me. :(
Maybe that's why Specialized dropped it?

Rochrunner,

Is it the last few years that the US Vados don't have brake lights or horns?

My older 2018 has brake lights and the most horrible, nasty, obnoxious horn on the planet. Never press it, unless by accident, then other people stare at me. :(
Maybe that's why Specialized dropped it?
I used the horn the other day when a lady decided to move her parked BMW straight out into my nearside...! She jumped in the seat. Would have been better if she had just bothered to shoulder-check her blind spot before moving but there we are...

So here is an update from my saga earlier in this thread!

Took the bike over to the dealer (a 200km round trip) for the service and the computer replacement.

Left the bike with them overnight and headed back in at the appointed time only to discover that Specialized had sent them the incorrect parts for the computer replacement - despite them having the serial number. It turns out that my Vado - which was sold by a Specialized dealer here in NZ - is actually a US model. It has a motor that is 100W more powerful than the standard spec for NZ bikes, has brake lights and the built in horn - all of which are not usually on the NZ bikes!

So they ended up doing the non-electric service work (which was all fine) and are working with Specialized NZ to try and get the correct parts etc.

Whilst I was in the store, I took the opportunity to spend some time with the owner, who is qualified by Specialized to do the full on racing bike biomechanical fitting service etc and had him look at the fit of the bike for me. Having flat pedals rather than cleats helps of course - you can just move your foot a bit if need be to adjust position there. He decided the saddle height was incorrect (slightly) and then that, because I have broad shoulders, the standard bars were a bit too narrow to be ideal and produced a wider set for me to hold - som much more natural!

I replaced the standard bars then and there with wider carbon bars (to provide a little damping given there is no suspension fork) and new Ergon GP cork touring grips. I have only had one short ride since but it made what seemed to be a big difference. Today the weather was about 5 Centigrade and rainy, so I did not go out; tomorrow is sunny but cool so I hope to do an hour or so and see how the bars perform. We left them at factory width to start - as the man said, we can trim them but we can't add bits back on..!

So sort of a success but looks like I will have to make another trip if Specialized sort out the computer issue - the bike shop guys had never come across the issue before.
As strange as it seems, it fits the description of my EU 2017 Vado 5.0 (45 km/h). Which, by the way, I perceive as one of the best specified Vados ever. The horn and the stop lights are an indication of a Euro S-Pedelec, and Electrak tyres combined with rigid fork were the 2017 feature.
Since such a Vado was sold to me as new in 2019 (and the battery was never activated before the purchase), I'd say you @Kiwimac can consider yourself very lucky. Only the electronics shall be overhauled to TCD-W.

The Bend of Death

It has turned out Vado 5.0 was very very good on roads in real mountains (we're talking the Jizera range of the Sudety Mts in Poland and Czech Republic). I could ride up a 14% grade in Turbo mode and in the granny gear. I could also make a short 16% grade ascent when a traditional road cyclist had to give up.

The only weak point of the 5.0 is its 48t chainring (too large for such grades) but I could make the climbs anyway. The 180 mm TRP Zurich brakes were working as a dream on a 12 km, -518 m descent.
received_2683161261971232-01.jpeg

Approaching the Bend of Death near Szklarska Poręba.

received_594225874788372-02.jpeg

The Bend of Death ;)

DSC00065-01.jpeg

Our new friend who had to give up at a 16% grade climb.

Back