Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I recommend the Czech beer. The lunch, not so much ...
I was in Prague last October and was perusing the menu at a pub in the old town. A local was having a smoke outside and we struck up a conversation - his English was quite good.

He says to me "best Pilsener Urquel in Prague" and I responded that with globalization, we can pretty well get draft beer from anywhere at home. He laughed and said "no kegs here, they bring it in by tanker truck".

It was very good! I bought him and his table a round.

I was in Prague last October and was perusing the menu at a pub in the old town. A local was having a smoke outside and we struck up a conversation - his English was quite good.

He says to me "best Pilsener Urquel in Prague" and I responded that with globalization, we can pretty well get draft beer from anywhere at home. He laughed and said "no kegs here, they bring it in by tanker truck".

It was very good! I bought him and his table a round.
Even the Budweiser is good in the Czech Republic and cheap ... no tax on beer, it's a basic food like bread or milk in the USA.

I recommend the Czech beer. The lunch, not so much ...
I beg to differ. I love Czech food, while "Czech beer" is a dangerous myth, especially to a hop-head. My religion forbids me drinking International Pale Lager brewed by concern breweries, micro-filtrated, and marketed as "Czech Pilsner" or "Czech Lager". Will make an exception once but hope to find some good Czech IPA.

Even the Budweiser is good in the Czech Republic and cheap ... no tax on beer, it's a basic food like bread or milk in the USA.
By drawing a parallel, I would say Polish "disco-polo" music is basic music in Poland, as basic as bread or milk are basic food in the USA, and it is cheap but I would hesitate naming that music "good".

185 million views doesn't indicate the music is any good.... Same with Czech beer.

P.S. Pilsner Urquell is owned by Japanese Asahi.

1596604583843.png

Czech craft beer: Volt Brewery "Zesilovac" (Amplifier), IPA. For me, Czech Pilsner or Lager are the "sex-on-the-beach" or "dangerously close to the water".

1596604907690.png

In Radegast pub in Český Těšín (the Czech part of the twin Czech-Polish city of Cieszyn). Radegast is another Asahi brewery, with its beer rated at 19/100 at the Ratebeer.com. Brix (at the left), I and our local guide Lidka went in there not for beer but for food.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. I love Czech food, while "Czech beer" is a dangerous myth, especially to a hop-head. My religion forbids me drinking International Pale Lager brewed by concern breweries, micro-filtrated, and marketed as "Czech Pilsner" or "Czech Lager". Will make an exception once but hope to find some good Czech IPA.

By drawing a parallel, I would say Polish "disco-polo" music is basic music in Poland, as basic as bread or milk are basic food in the USA, and it is cheap but I would hesitate naming that music "good".

185 million views doesn't indicate the music is any good.... Same with Czech beer.

P.S. Pilsner Urquell is owned by Japanese Asahi.

View attachment 61348
Czech craft beer: Volt Brewery "Zesilovac" (Amplifier), IPA. For me, Czech Pilsner or Lager are the "sex-on-the-beach" or "dangerously close to the water".

View attachment 61349
In Radegast pub in Český Těšín (the Czech part of the twin Czech-Polish city of Cieszyn). Radegast is another Asahi brewery, with its beer rated at 19/100 at the Ratebeer.com. Brix (at the left), I and our local guide Lidka went in there not for beer but for food.
I prefer ales, especially the British ales, but for lager and pilsner the Czech stuff is as good as it gets. And it's not just my opinion, I once took 20 American university students to Prague for a week. They were not old enough to drink in the states, but legal in the E.U.They loved it there, but hated Czech cooking especially the almost raw beef and the hard fried eggs. We mostly ordered veggys after the first few days...

I prefer ales, especially the British ales, but for lager and pilsner the Czech stuff is as good as it gets. And it's not just my opinion, I once took 20 American university students to Prague for a week. They were not old enough to drink in the states, but legal in the E.U.They loved it there, but hated Czech cooking especially the almost raw beef and the hard fried eggs. We mostly ordered veggys after the first few days...
The fact an American loves some beer brewed overseas because that's so different from one they can get at home doesn't make good beer from the bad one (for instance, it won't add enough hops to the brew). Regarding the food, I might mention I was hungry starving in the U.S. on my three stays there because the American food is so different from what we eat at home I could not eat there. I don't want to elaborate on that.

P.S. You complain on beef in Prague while I had to eat rare T-bone steak in Washington D.C.!

Last edited:
The fact an American loves some beer brewed overseas because that's so different from one they can get at home doesn't make good beer from the bad one (for instance, it won't add enough hops to the brew). Regarding the food, I might mention I was hungry starving in the U.S. on my three stays there because the American food is so different from what we eat at home I could not eat there. I don't want to elaborate on that.

P.S. You complain on beef in Prague while I had to eat rare T-bone steak in Washington D.C.!
Not a hop head, but I think we agree about the class of beer you called "dangerously close to water" ... We say "a Nigara Falls Honeymoon" ... for "F#$king near water" ...

I am extremely pleased that we can all discuss beer whilst having parallel conversations about e-bikes and other cycling gear. What a great forum! I came so close to buying a Specialized Vado just to be a bona fide member of this particular discussion group. Alas, I ride a Giant, but I will still try to hang out with you Specialized folks!

Don't worry Randall, I own a Giant, too :) Interestingly, there are not too many Levo/Kenevo owners participating in EBR Forums (with some notable exceptions). Perhaps it is because these "sit" in e-MTB fora.

Specialized seem to have addressed a very important market segment, which is a general e-bike with their Vado and Como. Most of people need just a multi-purpose e-bike, and the Spesh e-bikes fit the bill. See your own choice, Randy. You love trail riding yet you chose the Fathom that is a hard-tail and has no dropper post. That makes it easier to ride your e-bike on-road, do grocery shopping with easily mountable rack, you can add removable lights, and even MTB fenders are available in case of raining. Your e-bike is for trail but it is also ready to become a general e-bike.

I am extremely pleased that we can all discuss beer whilst having parallel conversations about e-bikes and other cycling gear. What a great forum! I came so close to buying a Specialized Vado just to be a bona fide member of this particular discussion group. Alas, I ride a Giant, but I will still try to hang out with you Specialized folks!
Giant was my second choice ... Great bike, great dealer, didn't want the IGH and wanted all the lights, racks, fenders, and display that were all extras on the Giant.

Sex in a canoe beer. On the rare times I drink a beer it is an English Porter.
Actually I drink a lot of lager outside in the summer. But porter is a favorite evening drink 50% porter mixed with pale ale ... Called a "Black and Tan" it's my goto beer snob party drink because the porter floats on the ale. I buy it premixed so not so pretty but good. Malty.

Giant was my second choice ... Great bike, great dealer, didn't want the IGH and wanted all the lights, racks, fenders, and display that were all extras on the Giant.
That certainly depends on the Giant model. I just regret I couldn't buy the 625 Wh version of the Trance E+ Pro but at least mine is in the best colour ;)

Actually I drink a lot of lager outside in the summer. But porter is a favorite evening drink 50% porter mixed with pale ale ... Called a "Black and Tan" it's my goto beer snob party drink because the porter floats on the ale. I buy it premixed so not so pretty but good. Malty.
I cannot drink so much ale nowadays, not with the diabetes and not with my hard work to reduce the body mass. Yet, my favourite beer styles include: Double/Imperial IPA, Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale), Imperial Stout, and Barley Wine. Generally, styles of > 7% abv. I need hoppy, bitter beer. And I mean bitter. Well, there is one beer style of which Poland is proud of, and it is the (Imperial) Baltic Porter (typically 9.5% abv). For some reason, Baltic Porters, even from large breweries are very good. Not for me, though. The BP is malty but not hoppy. That's why I prefer the (Russian) Imperial Stout.

@Art Deco: Have you had a chance to try the "řezané pivo" in the Czech Republic? It's their version of "Black & Tan".

Last edited:
That certainly depends on the Giant model. I just regret I couldn't buy the 625 Wh version of the Trance E+ Pro but at least mine is in the best colour ;)
I of course was buying a much cheaper Giant or Specialized than Stephan, but the quotes were close enough to be maybe $50 or $100 US differance on 2 bikes . The hydraulic brakes and derailleur on the Specialized were the issues for me.These companies make some fine bikes. As well they should for the price they charge.

Last edited:
Here's my Vado 4.0 with its new Thudbuster ST (Gen 4) seatpost. I'm at the low end of the recommended weight range for the default insert and found it too stiff, so changed to the #3 insert that was included with the post. So far I'm happy with it. This replaces the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper that was just not working out for me. It's too late to return it so I guess I'll go the eBay route to dispose of it.

2020-08-04 17.19.10.jpg

Here's my Vado 4.0 with its new Thudbuster ST (Gen 4) seatpost. I'm at the low end of the recommended weight range for the default insert and found it too stiff, so changed to the #3 insert that was included with the post. So far I'm happy with it. This replaces the PNW Coast Suspension Dropper that was just not working out for me. It's too late to return it so I guess I'll go the eBay route to dispose of it.

View attachment 61535

Rochrunner,
What didn't you like with the PNW post? I was thinking of getting a dropper post but also wanted the suspension. Granted, it would not be as nice as my current Kindect.
Thanks.

Back