Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Vado 5.0, hands down. If you want something light you can't beat the Vado SL.

After reading the Vado Club forum I am still interested in purchasing a Vado Turbo 5.0. Found all of the comments very helpful and informative. I have owned ebikes for more than nine years starting with kits to convert first with hub motors and then graduating to mid drives. I do own an I zip peak which required a motor replacement shortly after it was purchased, that was six years ago and it has not been to the dealer since. I am mechanical, do my own service and have made many upgrades to this ebike. That said I feel that if I purchase the Vado I will need dealer service because the bikes electronics are much more complex and you can't do your own firmware updates. I live in the Los Angeles - San Fernando Valley section of California and would appreciate a referral to a reliable LBS for sales and service.

My 1st intro to the e-bike world was an iZip E3 Peak 4+ years ago.
LOVED IT!
However, not being a 'mainstream' manufacturer, support was difficult and as items that needed attention began, I found it very difficult to find any LBS to assist.
I then chose to go to Trek.
Trek is 100% phenomenal!
HOWEVER, it is highly dependent upon the level of professionalism, experience and capability of your local bike shop. Without it, you are screwed unless you own the responsibility of all things except the proprietary Bosch components or are assured that the LBS has capable, competent and reliable employees.
Given I had difficulty to find responsible Trek shops to meet my expectations, I went to Specialized.
Out the gate, I can say I had some issues with local bike shops assisting me to buy a new Specialized bike. All they wanted to do was sell me what they had in stock, and after I did my homework and found what I wanted, it was suggested that maybe I just ask the LBS to order me what it was that I wanted. None ever even ever offered!! I did suggest they order me what I wanted, I got it, I love it, and all I hope is that moving forward that I can rely upon my LBS where the purchase was made and that the manufacturer (Specialized) stands behind their product if needed.
MY experience is: (from real life experience), I am SUPER HAPPY with my Vado 5.0.
Good luck in your decision process.

My 1st intro to the e-bike world was an iZip E3 Peak 4+ years ago.
LOVED IT!
However, not being a 'mainstream' manufacturer, support was difficult and as items that needed attention began, I found it very difficult to find any LBS to assist.
I then chose to go to Trek.
Trek is 100% phenomenal!
HOWEVER, it is highly dependent upon the level of professionalism, experience and capability of your local bike shop. Without it, you are screwed unless you own the responsibility of all things except the proprietary Bosch components or are assured that the LBS has capable, competent and reliable employees.
Given I had difficulty to find responsible Trek shops to meet my expectations, I went to Specialized.
Out the gate, I can say I had some issues with local bike shops assisting me to buy a new Specialized bike. All they wanted to do was sell me what they had in stock, and after I did my homework and found what I wanted, it was suggested that maybe I just ask the LBS to order me what it was that I wanted. None ever even ever offered!! I did suggest they order me what I wanted, I got it, I love it, and all I hope is that moving forward that I can rely upon my LBS where the purchase was made and that the manufacturer (Specialized) stands behind their product if needed.
MY experience is: (from real life experience), I am SUPER HAPPY with my Vado 5.0.
Good luck in your decision process.
So far my experience in shopping for the Vado 5.0 has been similar to yours. The LBS just wants to sell me what they have in stock. Right now I would just like to test drive the Vado 5.0 (step thru) and they say that the only thing they have is a Vado 3.0 which they state is similar except for better components, more power motor, larger battery etc. on the 5.0. Is a 3.0 really similar? The dealer did offer to order me one, but I really feel that I need to test drive first. I understand because of Covid and the unusual demand for bikes that inventory is short and I will just have to wait. Hopefully someone can point me to a LBS in my area that I can trust.

Thanks for your comments.

So far my experience in shopping for the Vado 5.0 has been similar to yours. The LBS just wants to sell me what they have in stock. Right now I would just like to test drive the Vado 5.0 (step thru) and they say that the only thing they have is a Vado 3.0 which they state is similar except for better components, more power motor, larger battery etc. on the 5.0. Is a 3.0 really similar? The dealer did offer to order me one, but I really feel that I need to test drive first. I understand because of Covid and the unusual demand for bikes that inventory is short and I will just have to wait. Hopefully someone can point me to a LBS in my area that I can trust.

@gadgetguy: I just checked on specialized.com and they are showing “out of stock” for all sizes of the Turbo Vado 5.0 Step-Through, so your local LBS may not even be able to order one if they wanted to right now. From the website you can search for in stock inventory at dealers near your location. Since you are in the L.A. area, which is an extremely large market, you might be able to find one within an hours drive or so, from where you live. It may be worth driving a ways to a dealer that has one in stock, and hopefully, they may even let you test ride it? I bought a Vado 4.0 for myself and a Vado 5.0 for my wife, ordered directly from the Specialized website and shipped to my LBS, after a quick super short test ride on a Vado 3.0 that they had in stock at the LBS just to confirm the size/fit. Good luck with your search, hopefully you can find a Vado 5.0 within a reasonable distance from where you live? I also own a 2018 Trek Super Commuter +7, it is a really nice and dependable ebike as well, but I can say that the Vado’s are just much nicer, more refined, quicker, more naturally responsive, more powerful and way quieter (especially the 90nm Vado 5.0). Get one if you can, you won’t regret it.

First trip for my wife (Como5) and me (Vado5) to Vineyard in central NC. 28 mile round trip, spent around one hour 45 minutes in the saddle at average speed 16 mph. I broke my personal speed record on a short downhill section at 37mph. Ridden just over 200 miles since we purchased a few weeks ago and the bikes Just keep getting better as one learns how to optimize the choices of power level. I used around 55% of the battery. Time to take the bikes to shop for first service.
EFE56714-3A51-4BC8-BA92-DB6EAD0E6C5D.jpeg

The 5.0 is certainly worth its price. If you can wait, it is the best ask your dealer to notify you when the 2021 models are out in the market (that should happen soon). Don't buy on the impulse. Or, follow the advice of Papa G.

Just heard Specialized have extended the warranty of their 2019 and later turboLevo to four years due to Brose motor issues.
classy action to take care of customers.
I wonder if they will do this for Vado also?
I am on my second motor of my 2020 Vado 5 (purchased Sept 2019) where they replaced my first one (at 1,200 mikes) under warranty and 1,600 miles with no issues.
Vado 5 has been the best decision I have made health and joy wise.
I test rode 2019 Vado 6 fell in love and LBS ordered the latest available Vado 5. Came quick and easy.
You can’t go wrong with Vado 5.

Last edited:
Just heard Specialized have extended the warranty of their 2019 and later turboLevo to four years due to Brose motor issues.
classy action to take care of customers.
I wonder if they will do this for Vado also?

The problematic motor in the Levo is the Specialized 2.1 (Brose S-mag) which was never used in the Vado. High motor failure rates and Levo customer reports were alarming.

That's why Specialized reacted with the extended warranty for Levo MY19-20 and only. Let's see how motor improvements work in the MY21 Levo.

Would be nice to have extended warranty for other models but I don't expect that to happen. Vado motors are far more reliable.

The problematic motor in the Levo is the Specialized 2.1 (Brose S-mag) which was never used in the Vado. High motor failure rates and Levo customer reports were alarming.
Perhaps it is good I didn't buy the Levo anyway.
I need to watch this video now:

Perhaps it is good I didn't buy the Levo anyway.

Oohh no,
the Levo MY 19-20 would have been ideal for you. ;)

Every now and then a new motor, and you've got enough other ebikes in the stable waiting during Levo motor exchange.
Four years warranty i.e. 30.000 km at least.
I presume you'd be ready for a new bike afterwards.

Would you believe TS I've got too many e-bikes and one of them is on a permanent loan with my brother? :) I only buy what I need. It is raining now. Having read the "Bike Snob" book, I starred wondering if I should drive a car for small shopping nearby. Oh, no, ride a bike. Which one? Vado or Trance? Decisions, decisions... 🙃

P.S. It has been the Trance. No mudguards, more fun in pouring rain!

Last edited:
...It is raining now. ..., I starred wondering if I should drive a car for small shopping nearby. Oh, no, ride a bike. Which one? Vado or Trance? Decisions, decisions... 🙃

P.S. I has been the Trance. No mudguards, more fun in pouring rain!

Where are the pics (mudcovered face but can imagine the smile)? :D

Would you believe TS I've got too many e-bikes and one of them is on a permanent loan with my brother? :) I only buy what I need. It is raining now. Having read the "Bike Snob" book, I starred wondering if I should drive a car for small shopping nearby. Oh, no, ride a bike. Which one? Vado or Trance? Decisions, decisions... 🙃

P.S. It has been the Trance. No mudguards, more fun in pouring rain!

And your brother having your other ebike (lovelec?) is a good deal for him. 😃🚴🏾‍♂️

Yes, Jacek rides Lovelec for his daily commutes. We're going together to Jizera Mts (Poland/Czech Republic) for the weekend, and he'll be riding my Giant! (As it is roads, I'm riding my Vado).

Back