Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Oh, Brendon... With the current legal situation of 25 and 45 kph e-bikes in Europe, I don't even consider yet another e-bike, just curious. Or... that might be a Bulls. I'd like to see a Bulls bike in person and demo-ride it because these bikes look so promising... But the devil is in the detail.

Fair enough, didn't take your words as implying you'd get something else!

We're a Bulls dealer too, great bikes. Very well built and spec'd. We just sold a Cross Lite Evo, great bike! I love Bosch product, but the entire package of the Vado 5.0 has been incredible. I've got almost 1300km's on the bike thus far, can't wait to start wearing things out!

Thinking about cadence per our earlier conversations, I can't seem to find a 50T chainring. Thinking of trying to find a 46t and switching over to a SRAM 10-42 cassette to get my cadence closer to the 100rpm range at 46kph. Right now I'm in the 12t out back and right around 90-94 cadence. I think if I dropped a couple teeth up front and had an 11t out back (still want one gear taller for descending) I'll be able to get to that comfortable 100rpm for cadence.

Brendon, have you got some Bulls model with Brose motor and the BLOKS display in your store? I'm interested in your opinion because I look at the E-Stream EVO AM 45. How do the components and build of Bulls bikes compare to Specialized products?

I can't quite get you with the sprockets and cadence. My Vado has the 48t chainring and 11t smallest rear cog. With 2" tyres, I'm getting at 45 km/h with cadence of 76. If I want to spin faster, I shift down to 13t and it makes the cadence of 89. Further, if I go down to 15t, the cadence is 103. What is in your Vado I don't understand and you would like to change?

..., I can't seem to find a 50T chainring. Thinking of trying to find a 46t and switching over to a SRAM 10-42 cassette ...

Have a look for Deckas or Snail 104BCD narrow-wide chain ring:

I've been doing this for about 10 years or so with a pontoon boat or raft. When it's just me floating, I would put my bike (Giant Defy) in the raft (3 person raft), but when I had friends with me, I'd lock up the bike (or once, hide it in the woods). that bike was relatively inexpensive, so it potentially disappearing wasn't as stress inducing...might have to be a little more secure with teh Vado. I have a bed rack on my tacoma and would put my bike on taht. but lifting the 50+lb vado up ontoit might strain my abilities.

A dual trailer receiver with my bike rack (1up) might do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-R...vtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1&language=en_US

Here's the current floating setup heading to the river:
View attachment 59749
Very nice rig, if you go with others they can help lift the bike. You can haul all the locks and chains necessary to secure the bike in the truck. How’s the fishing?

Very nice rig, if you go with others they can help lift the bike. You can haul all the locks and chains necessary to secure the bike in the truck. How’s the fishing?

It's been ok. The Androscoggin River in northern NH has a caddis hatch in mid to late June (alder flies) where the trout go nuts. There are only a couple of spots to fish while wading, so a raft or drift boat is the way to go. For many years, I've tried to time being there when it happened, but could never show up when that bug was hatching. This year, due a change in marital status, I had a bit more freedom to target it. but the week it was going off, the river was well over 70 degrees due to little rain we've had, and catching and releasing trout in those conditions is a bit unethical (I'm mostly a C&R fisherman, might keep a fish once or twice a year). So I targeted another river that I didn't float (the upper CT River), and it was ok fishing.

Then it rained all week I was there.

Brendon, have you got some Bulls model with Brose motor and the BLOKS display in your store? I'm interested in your opinion because I look at the E-Stream EVO AM 45. How do the components and build of Bulls bikes compare to Specialized products?

I can't quite get you with the sprockets and cadence. My Vado has the 48t chainring and 11t smallest rear cog. With 2" tyres, I'm getting at 45 km/h with cadence of 76. If I want to spin faster, I shift down to 13t and it makes the cadence of 89. Further, if I go down to 15t, the cadence is 103. What is in your Vado I don't understand and you would like to change?

Funny you should mention that bike...I love Bulls but sometimes they make some interesting bikes, that being one of them. I've had direct experience with it, the geometry of the bike is such that the front chainrings are so far out if you're cross chainging from the small ring to the lower part of the cassette the chainring ramp pins can grab the chain during assist and break the chain. The solution is to not cross chain, but that can be forgotten when riding challenging trails.

Thanks for the link but hard pass on those super cheap online chainrings.

Funny you should mention that bike...I love Bulls but sometimes they make some interesting bikes, that being one of them. I've had direct experience with it, the geometry of the bike is such that the front chainrings are so far out if you're cross chainging from the small ring to the lower part of the cassette the chainring ramp pins can grab the chain during assist and break the chain. The solution is to not cross chain, but that can be forgotten when riding challenging trails.
A little disappointing. That's the only S-Pedelec that is also an e-MTB. There's currently a discount on that model in Poland. OTH, I have no budget for that bike at the moment.

In my blog I am outlining my thoughts on the Specialized Como versus Vado and the Gazelle T10. For new riders who want to do longer rides >20 miles but are not used to being in the saddle for long periods at a time, the Specialized Como is a better choice. More on my evaluation here https://ebikeexplorations.com

Last edited:
Picking up my Turbo Vado 5.0 tomorrow at noon.
I'd like to know if it is customary to request the LBS to provide a diagnostic report (as I would normally ask for and get with Trek), to be assured that all systems are go, the latest firmware and/or other items normally associated with the purchase of a Specialized e-bike.
I just want to be be assured that out the starting gate, there are no items to necessitate a return to the LBS immediately, etc.
I know that as an example last week when I went to pick up my Trek Allant+ 7S, the battery was 1/2 charged and the firmware was not the most current.
That to me, is an unacceptable behavior of a LBS who expect my business, and I want to be assured that I'm not going to follow the same road.
As a reference, I called about 6 different LBS's from Maine to Florida who had 5.0 Vado's in stock, but the most local shops did not nor did they even offer to order one (after being informed by the New Hampshire shop that the East Coast Specialized warehouse in Ohio had a few in stock). Ultimately I had to inform the LBS that I am purchasing from that they were in stock at the Ohio warehouse.
I understand most want to sell what they have in inventory, but??????
Hopefully the one I get won't be a 1-1/2 year old stale model.
We'll see.
Wish me success, I'm excited but also a little weary.

Picking up my Turbo Vado 5.0 tomorrow at noon.
I'd like to know if it is customary to request the LBS to provide a diagnostic report (as I would normally ask for and get with Trek), to be assured that all systems are go, the latest firmware and/or other items normally associated with the purchase of a Specialized e-bike.
I just want to be be assured that out the starting gate, there are no items to necessitate a return to the LBS immediately, etc.
I know that as an example last week when I went to pick up my Trek Allant+ 7S, the battery was 1/2 charged and the firmware was not the most current.
That to me, is an unacceptable behavior of a LBS who expect my business, and I want to be assured that I'm not going to follow the same road.
As a reference, I called about 6 different LBS's from Maine to Florida who had 5.0 Vado's in stock, but the most local shops did not nor did they even offer to order one (after being informed by the New Hampshire shop that the East Coast Specialized warehouse in Ohio had a few in stock). Ultimately I had to inform the LBS that I am purchasing from that they were in stock at the Ohio warehouse.
I understand most want to sell what they have in inventory, but??????
Hopefully the one I get won't be a 1-1/2 year old stale model.
We'll see.
Wish me success, I'm excited but also a little weary.

Congrats again on the new bike, even though shipping would have been about $250-300 to get it to you, I would have been happy to accommodate!

Regarding the firmware report like Bosch provides, I don't believe the Specialized software has that as you can connect to the bike via bluetooth and check your firmware pretty quickly. Turbo Studio is the program and it's very easy to update the bike, it also logs how many and when the bike has been plugged in, pretty neat.

The current display software is 13.4.0 if you're curious. The LBS should help you with setting up the Mission Control app too, make sure they walk through it to you, we sold a couple Vado 5.0's to a couple and I had to go through updating her entire android software to make sure MC worked. After some time everything worked great!

Any questions just ask, we'll all help as much as possible!

I installed the Mission Control software yesterday to get ready.
I'm on an Apple iPhone.
Are there any issues with the app on Apple vs. Android?
The Mission Control app is v2.3.1 Build 64
'Display' software meaning the display on the handlebars is v13.4.0, correct?
'Turbo Studio', is that a dealer app to perform the maintenance for firmware, etc., or is it end user done?
Much appreciated.

Last question....(for tonight), all the reading I've done on the forums here over the last few years had talked about the multiple motor replacements, issues, cracked frames, etc., so I guess the point is how do I know if I have the most current "everything", and not the old "everything else"? The last thing I need to have is growing pains with a bike that may have been in the warehouse because nobody wanted them because of the references to the items I've read about. Or all the 1.3 motors the new 2020 and they were produced in the Spring of 2019 and available later in the year?

I installed the Mission Control software yesterday to get ready.
I'm on an Apple iPhone.
Are there any issues with the app on Apple vs. Android?
The Mission Control app is v2.3.1 Build 64
'Display' software meaning the display on the handlebars is v13.4.0, correct?
'Turbo Studio', is that a dealer app to perform the maintenance for firmware, etc., or is it end user done?
Much appreciated.

Last question....(for tonight), all the reading I've done on the forums here over the last few years had talked about the multiple motor replacements, issues, cracked frames, etc., so I guess the point is how do I know if I have the most current "everything", and not the old "everything else"? The last thing I need to have is growing pains with a bike that may have been in the warehouse because nobody wanted them because of the references to the items I've read about. Or all the 1.3 motors the new 2020 and they were produced in the Spring of 2019 and available later in the year?

I'll do my best to help you out.

As I understand the 2020 Vado 5.0 that you and I have is well vetted and the latest. Mine didn't even need a firmware update. There are bike left because folks aren't running out to buy a $4400 bike as much as they are running out to get the closeout 2019 Vado 3.0's we were able to get our hands on (they're all XL though). When I eventually upgrade the brakes on mine (no reason other than, why not?) I'll make note of the build tag on the motor. I suspect it'll have a 2019 date code on it, later in the year though.

No issues with Apple or Android, no worries there

With TCD most of the minor firmware updates are done through the display. You have to check the battery when the bike comes in but battery firmware updates are much less frequent.

Turbo Studio is the dealer software as are the special tools to update battery firmware.

I too have seen other Brose equipped bikes have some issues here and there. That said my experience with Specialized is their entire Turbo team is very quick with repair response and getting parts to dealers quickly. For instance I had a Vado 5.0 come in that had some paint chips on the battery cover. 4 days later I had the battery cover, pretty incredible during the pandemic!

One of the main reasons I ride the Vado is worst case I can let someone take my bike if theirs is down, or rob parts from my bike as needed.

With regard to my comments on gearing, it's not that I can't sit at 100rpm, if I shift into the 13t out back it's fine, I just want to find the optimal gearing to sit at the rev limiter of 46-7kph and have a cadence of 100rpm. Currently I'm at around 92-94rpm in the 12t at 46kph. I want to raise that cadence and keep my power output in the 160-175 range and keep the bike at top speed.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to keep my effort in a target range and keep the bike at it's max assist speed and get my cadence in the 98-100rpm range.

In my blog I am outlining my thoughts on the Specialized Como versus Vado and the Gazelle T10. For new riders who want to do longer rides >20 miles but are not used to being in the saddle for long periods at a time, the Specialized Como is a better choice. More on my evaluation here https://ebiketours.site/e-bike-reviews/
A remark: You've mentioned fatter tyres on the Como as the benefit against the Vado. Bear in mind that:
  • The Como is equipped with a rigid fork, and it naturally requires thicker tyres. The Vado has a suspension fork;
  • The Vado is ready to accept 2" slick grippy tyres, specifically the Specialized Electrak 2.0 Armadillo.

Last edited:
With regard to my comments on gearing, it's not that I can't sit at 100rpm, if I shift into the 13t out back it's fine, I just want to find the optimal gearing to sit at the rev limiter of 46-7kph and have a cadence of 100rpm. Currently I'm at around 92-94rpm in the 12t at 46kph. I want to raise that cadence and keep my power output in the 160-175 range and keep the bike at top speed.

Does that make sense? I'm trying to keep my effort in a target range and keep the bike at it's max assist speed and get my cadence in the 98-100rpm range.
You wrote that you wanted to change the chainring to 50T (if it were available), and that would decrease the cadence? Did I misunderstand you? You also wrote about changing the 11T smallest rear cog to the 10T, again reducing the cadence...

It might be my misunderstanding.

You wrote that you wanted to change the chainring to 50T (if it were available), and that would decrease the cadence? Did I misunderstand you? You also wrote about changing the 11T smallest rear cog to the 10T, again reducing the cadence...

It might be my misunderstanding.

Ah, you're correct if we're talking about keeping the bike in the top gear. Here's what I was thinking:

If I'm able to run a larger chainring in the front, the 50T, instead of being in the 12t cog out back I might be able to be happier in the 13t. I prefer having a bit more chain wrap too since there's so much power going through the drivetrain being in Turbo mode all the time.

If I can't find a 50T (which is the case thus far, not running those online only rings, no thanks) then I might be able to find a smaller chainring for the front, 46 or 45T and be in the 11T out back. The idea of switching to a driver cassette is I'd still have the 10T to shift to for descents where you can easily ride the bike well past it's assist level.

Does that help clarify?

I had asked in a separate posting, but will do so again here because it was either overlooked or ?
I and to possibly use the Sram AXS electronic shifting on the Vado 5.0
Had it on my Allant + 9.9S.
Loved it.
Will I need a XD hub adapter or have to have a whole new wheel laced with a new XD hub?

I had asked in a separate posting, but will do so again here because it was either overlooked or ?
I and to possibly use the Sram AXS electronic shifting on the Vado 5.0
Had it on my Allant + 9.9S.
Loved it.
Will I need a XD hub adapter or have to have a whole new wheel laced with a new XD hub?

Did you get your bike yet?

The Vado can be fitted with the SRAM AXS system no problem. Albeit a big job but totally possible. The SRAM system is designed to work with 1x so it'll all play nice no problem.

The current wheels on your bike do have a driver freehub body available, that said, if you're going to upgrade the group, I'd encourage a wheel upgrade too. We're big fans of handbuilt wheels using DT Swiss hubs and Velocity rims. Great end product and there are some fun colors out there.

Here's my 5.0

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_174607607.jpg
    IMG_20200529_174607607.jpg
    731.6 KB · Views: 315
Back