Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

For others with the Como 4, why are there no markings to indicate what gear I am in near the shifters on the handlebar.

is this the way this bike is or am I missing an insert or something indicating the current gear?
That's the "MTB style" shifter and high class MTB shifters for 1x drive-train don't typically have the optical gear indicator. I disliked that at first but got used to it.

While it is critical to know in what gear you are with the multiple chain-rings (to be able to maintain straight chain line), it is irrelevant to 1x10, 1x11, 1x12 drive-trains. Hence no gear indicator, and it makes more space on the handlebars available but the shifter can be more advanced instead.

The way you operate the gear shifting is just to downshift before stopping (so starting the ride creates little stress on the chain and gives better acceleration) and manipulate the gears to be in the preferred cadence during the ride.

It is to some extent similar to a manual gear-box stick of the car. I sometimes am in doubt if I am in the 3rd or 5th gear (or in 4th or 6th) in my car but the experience and the rpm indicator tell me the truth.

Very nice looking bike. My wife rides the same one.
You want to be careful with the Kuat Transfer rack...rated only to 45lbs., and not for ebikes.

Thanks for the heads up on the Kuat Transfer. My partner has a Specialized hitch-mount rack, not sure which model, that maybe will work better. Fortunately, I won't have to carry it on a car rack very often!

For others with the Como 4, why are there no markings to indicate what gear I am in near the shifters on the handlebar.

is this the way this bike is or am I missing an insert or something indicating the current gear?

I have the Como 5 and I thought they were pretty similar, though I see they have different shifters. On my bike, the indicator is on the right near the shifters. The indicator has a red bar on it in this photo and it moves left for higher gears and right for lower. Still have to guess a bit about what gear it is in.

IMG_1551.jpg

Just joined the Specialized Turbo Vado Como User Club when I picked up my Turbo Como 4 today. I was really surprised to see a couple things about the bike that I hadn't expected and were not like I saw in all of the reviews.

View attachment 58333

The light for the rear of the bike was not under the seat but attached to the rear fender. It was a Herrman's H-Trace mini.

Both the front and rear fenders had the rubber extensions on the bottom.

Lucky you! I have the same bike but mine came with the cheap fenders and light still under the seat. The fenders are possibly what I dislike the most about the bike. They are constaly out of alignment no matter how much I tighten them down. Very frustrating. As for the light I ended up buying one to attach to the rack I added.

But hey, awesome for you! Loving mine so far. I'm sure you'll be happy!

It's Vado and Como takeover day! Still waiting on two more Como's and a Vado SL...
Good to see dealet deliveries catching up with demand, at least in your area.

Looks like you one in the fasterest Rocket Red color...😎

I bought a 2021 Vado 4 last night (at least that is what the LBS tech said the model year was... claimed it was the first 2021 out the door for them). The color is forest green, but it's really hard to see it as green unless you really study it, otherwise it looks black. Took it for a good size ride last night and a smaller ride this morning and already started playing in Mission Control (I'm a nerd, all that stuff is lovely). Plan for the bike is to commute to work (23 miles each way through moderate hills), whenever the office actually opens back up. I am pretty familiar with bikes, but am a bit nervous about the motor/battery and maintenance on them (I built my downhill MTB, so I'm pretty ok with working with any of the bicycle parts)

I also plan on using it to shuttle my truck when floating and flyfishing out of my raft down select NH rivers. I previously biked back to the put in... and as rivers flow downhill, the ride to the put in was always tiring. Just have to figure out a transport plan while towing the raft.

IMG_20200722_091927.jpg

I bought a 2021 Vado 4 last night (at least that is what the LBS tech said the model year was... claimed it was the first 2021 out the door for them). The color is forest green, but it's really hard to see it as green unless you really study it, otherwise it looks black. Took it for a good size ride last night and a smaller ride this morning and already started playing in Mission Control (I'm a nerd, all that stuff is lovely). Plan for the bike is to commute to work (23 miles each way through moderate hills), whenever the office actually opens back up. I am pretty familiar with bikes, but am a bit nervous about the motor/battery and maintenance on them (I built my downhill MTB, so I'm pretty ok with working with any of the bicycle parts)

I also plan on using it to shuttle my truck when floating and flyfishing out of my raft down select NH rivers. I previously biked back to the put in... and as rivers flow downhill, the ride to the put in was always tiring. Just have to figure out a transport plan while towing the raft.

View attachment 59748
I like the idea of combining a float trip with a bike ride a lot.

I like the idea of combining a float trip with a bike ride a lot.

I've been doing this for about 10 years or so with a pontoon boat or raft. When it's just me floating, I would put my bike (Giant Defy) in the raft (3 person raft), but when I had friends with me, I'd lock up the bike (or once, hide it in the woods). that bike was relatively inexpensive, so it potentially disappearing wasn't as stress inducing...might have to be a little more secure with teh Vado. I have a bed rack on my tacoma and would put my bike on taht. but lifting the 50+lb vado up ontoit might strain my abilities.

A dual trailer receiver with my bike rack (1up) might do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-R...vtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1&language=en_US

Here's the current floating setup heading to the river:
IMG_20180608_172906 (1).jpg

View attachment 59748
Beautiful. Curious what are the differences when compared to 2020 model. I own a 2020 Vado 5

I've been doing this for about 10 years or so with a pontoon boat or raft. When it's just me floating, I would put my bike (Giant Defy) in the raft (3 person raft), but when I had friends with me, I'd lock up the bike (or once, hide it in the woods). that bike was relatively inexpensive, so it potentially disappearing wasn't as stress inducing...might have to be a little more secure with teh Vado. I have a bed rack on my tacoma and would put my bike on taht. but lifting the 50+lb vado up ontoit might strain my abilities.

A dual trailer receiver with my bike rack (1up) might do the trick: https://www.amazon.com/CURT-45792-R...vtargid=pla-571952257097&psc=1&language=en_US

View attachment 59749
Nice setup

View attachment 59749
Might be easier to lift ebike into the boat before putting boat on trailer? Boat is lower than the tailgate.

View attachment 59748
@Hextall: Nice color. Almost looks like the British Racing Green that came on my 1973 Raleigh Super Course back in the day!

View attachment 59748
Would some thing this ebike towed kayak trailer work for your flyfishing raft?

Congratulations, @Hextall!
I need to visit the Specialized website to see what's new in the 2021 models!
P.S. The website has not been updated with the new models yet...

Last edited:
Congratulations, @Hextall!
I need to visit the Specialized website to see what's new in the 2021 models!
P.S. The website has not been updated with the new models yet...

Not to kill the excitement but I believe it's just colors...still exciting though!

Full disclosure, I made sure to ask if there was going to be some awesome new Vado coming out before pulling the trigger on my own 5.0. Specialized always has tricks up their sleeve though.

I was day dreaming of having the S-Mag motor in a Vado to shed some weight, maybe some other cool bits too...just my own thoughts mind you.

Oh, Brendon... With the current legal situation of 25 and 45 kph e-bikes in Europe, I don't even consider yet another e-bike, just curious. Or... that might be a Bulls. I'd like to see a Bulls bike in person and demo-ride it because these bikes look so promising... But the devil is in the detail.

Back