Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Just joined the Specialized Turbo Vado Como User Club when I picked up my Turbo Como 4 today. I was really surprised to see a couple things about the bike that I hadn't expected and were not like I saw in all of the reviews.

View attachment 58333

The light for the rear of the bike was not under the seat but attached to the rear fender. It was a Herrman's H-Trace mini.

Both the front and rear fenders had the rubber extensions on the bottom.
Congrats on a beautiful bike. Welcome to forum. You will a lot from this forum.
Your great journey just began!

You will find out that @Sierratim and @Stefan Mikes are great resources in this forum among others

Last edited:
Just joined the Specialized Turbo Vado Como User Club when I picked up my Turbo Como 4 today. I was really surprised to see a couple things about the bike that I hadn't expected and were not like I saw in all of the reviews.

View attachment 58333

The light for the rear of the bike was not under the seat but attached to the rear fender. It was a Herrman's H-Trace mini.

Congrats on your new ebike!
Many wonderful miles to you.
Be prepared for questions, especially at rest stops. I’m into my third season and always get asked about ebikes.
Two most common:
- what kind of range
- how much do they cost.

I love the cost question. If someone is riding a Schwinn they get apoplectic when I say mine was $3500. If they’re riding a carbon framed superbike, they say, “hmm, that’s reasonable“.

It's all relative and during these harsh economic times lots of folks can't fathom spending that money when toilet paper is hard to come by. I can't imagine spending $3k on a camera, but I can TOTALLY understand spending money on a Vado.

To each there own. A Kia and a Porsche can both get you from a-b, I'll let y'all figure out which one is more fun;)

Gone to Warsaw to see an optician, Vado, full traffic, high assist levels. The bike secured with ABUS alarm U-lock and the battery removed just in case. No issues.

P.S. I proclaim Turbo Vado the best commuter e-bike ever!
1594391663718.png

Cheers! 😃

1594391857273.png

I wouldn't make it faster with my car during the rush hours.

Last edited:
I love the cost question. If someone is riding a Schwinn they get apoplectic when I say mine was $3500. If they’re riding a carbon framed superbike, they say, “hmm, that’s reasonable“.

So very true Bec111.
I usually answer the cost question by starting super high: the first Specialized Creos at $17,000 and they were sold out. Then end with a lower range of $1500-$3000.

Gone to Warsaw to see an optician, Vado, full traffic, high assist levels. The bike secured with ABUS alarm U-lock and the battery removed just in case. No issues.

P.S. I proclaim Turbo Vado as the best commuter e-bike ever!
View attachment 58487
Cheers! 😃

View attachment 58488
I wouldn't make it faster with my car during the rush hours.
View attachment 58449
Cheers! 😃
Ride safe.

Stefan, Are there bike lanes for most of the route or must you ride in traffic? If in traffic Drivers must be much more accommodating to bike riders than here in Indiana.

It is a delicate matter, Terry. If I'm riding an e-bike described by law as "a bicycle" (that is, with the assistance limited to 25 km/h), I have to ride bike path or lane as long as it exists. On the other hand, my Vado 5.0 is what you know in the U.S. as Class 3 e-bike, and it is classified as a L1e-B vehicle and is briefly described as "a moped" in the Road Code here. I must not ride the "moped" on bike paths or lanes and have to ride in traffic.

Each of e-bike class here has its good aspects and downsides. Riding a "normal" e-bike is safe as long as there are bike paths around (there are aplenty of them here). However, it is rarely a "cycleway" so riding through bike paths means a slow commute. Riding a "moped" e-bike puts you at some danger but is incredibly fast, especially if that is the "speed" Vado.

There is no direct bike path from my place to our county capital, Pruszków. Yes I can ride my "normal" e-bikes safely to reach Pruszków if I make a detour. On the other hand, it is a short ride to get there if that's the Vado and I am taking the Hwy #719 directly.

I would say I'm not that afraid riding roads in Poland, except of the most dangerous ones. Many Polish drivers are cyclists, too. A Polish driver becomes somewhat aggressive when he/she can see a cyclist on road when a bike path along the road exists. That sometimes leads to unpleasant situations when I'm riding my Vado on road. Some drivers cannot see my number plate or they believe it is a regular bike riding the road illegally. In such situation, they honk at me, and then I sound my horn on them and blink the 1600 lm headlight... They learn.

Last edited:
It is a delicate matter, Terry. If I'm riding an e-bike described by law as "a bicycle" (that is, with the assistance limited to 25 km/h), I have to ride bike path or lane as long as it exists. On the other hand, my Vado 5.0 is what you know in the U.S. as Class 3 e-bike, and it is classified as a L1e-B vehicle and is briefly described as "a moped" in the Road Code here. I must not ride the "moped" on bike paths or lanes and have to ride in traffic.

Each of e-bike class here has its good aspects and downsides. Riding a "normal" e-bike is safe as long as there are bike paths around (there are aplenty of them here). However, it is rarely a "cycleway" so riding through bike paths means a slow commute. Riding a "moped" e-bike puts you at some danger but is incredibly fast, especially if that is the "speed" Vado.

There is no direct bike path from my place to our county capital, Pruszków. Yes I can ride my "normal" e-bikes safely to reach Pruszków if I make a detour. On the other hand, it is a short ride to get there if that's the Vado and I am taking the Hwy #719 directly.

I would say I'm not that afraid riding roads in Poland, except of the most dangerous ones. Many Polish drivers are cyclists, too. A Polish driver becomes somewhat aggressive when he/she can see a cyclist on road when a bike path along the road exists. That sometimes leads to unpleasant situations when I'm riding my Vado on road. Some drivers cannot see my number plate or they believe it is a regular bike riding the road illegally. In such situation, they honk at me, and then I sound my horn on them and blink the 1600 lm headlight... They learn.

Here in NZ we do not class them at all. They are just bicycles and the same rules as apply to bicycles with no motor apply to ebikes.

Wearing a helmet is a legal requirement here for any bike.

Here in NZ we do not class them at all. They are just bicycles and the same rules as apply to bicycles with no motor apply to ebikes.

Wearing a helmet is a legal requirement here for any bike.
Is there a speed or power limit for ebikes, as opposed to motorcycles ?

Picked up my Como 5.0 on Saturday. Didn’t really fit in my rack very securely (Kuat Transfer 2), so I ended up putting it inside my car for my 6 hour drive back home.

I am in love! I picked up an 18” pizza today and used bungees to strap the box to the pizza rack. Worked great! I’m looking for a rear rack. Saw a photo of a Como 4.0 with a Racktime I-Valo Tour so I may try to get that one unless there are other suggestions. I’ve searched this thread and the forums but didn’t find anything definitive. The LBS told me the Specialized rack was not made to be installed with the fender on, but they have found a way to make it work by “cutting some metal”!

View attachment 57914
Very nice looking bike. My wife rides the same one.
You want to be careful with the Kuat Transfer rack...rated only to 45lbs., and not for ebikes.
I have fit the Axiom Journey Uni-fit Mk3 to a couple of Como's, and I am sure the Topeak Explorer rack would fit on well too. Just needed some strong longer bolts in conjunction with the fender mount area. But it can be done successfully. I like the journey Uni-fit because of the double top rails, makes it easier to fit a trunk bag and panniers at the same time onto the rack. but most people seem to use one or the other...trunk or panniers.

View attachment 58333

Rolling production changes are made occassionally it seems. When they started to give a nice black zippered case with each bike to store your manuals/papers and charger in, that seemed to be added to the package part way through the season. Light on fender is a good change, particularly if you use a trunk bag. I have taken to using an accessory USB rechargable light to the back of our Como.
The original fenders on Como's were a stiff plastic, and work well. If a stick gets caught between tire and fender (trust me, it happens) a plastic fender gives way and may save you from a big superman dive over the bars (this happens too, unfortunately).

I finally got my new right brake line and shift cable replaced with longer ones to accommodate the Jones bars I put on my Vado 4. Brakes are working fine but shift cable needs adjustment as some shifts are not so good. Probably just cable tension adjustment as all was well before replacing the cable. Hardest part was getting wheel back on as this was fist time ever removing one. Good practice for a flat. Here is pictures of my lift as I have no bike stand. Worked well plus could get it high when needed.
DB6BB464-4688-443F-9414-A982E44FB6C6.jpeg

You don't have "speed e-bikes" there in NZ, either...

Is there a speed or power limit for ebikes, as opposed to motorcycles ?
AFAIK, it is 250 W nominal power and 25 km/h assistance speed limit, same as in Australia and Europe.

Specialized needs to make something between the upright Como and the downright Vado. With full suspension air shocks. :). And racks, big racks:).
Turbo Levo with Topeak TetraRack you mean? ;)

I've noticed I'm not getting many notifications for new posts, so I missed some. Now... I'm setting off for a metric century in the morning. That would be the beautiful Vistula Trail in Mazovia. Although many roads there are gravel, I'm taking my Vado because of longer range than my Trance E+. As my Vado is fully equipped now, it is not afraid of gravel roads, especially gravel packed after heavy rainfalls we have experienced.

1594670457522.png

Wish me luck!

I'm.
You don't have "speed e-bikes" there in NZ, either...

AFAIK, it is 250 W nominal power and 25 km/h assistance speed limit, same as in Australia and Europe.

Turbo Levo with Topeak TetraRack you mean? ;)

I've noticed I'm not getting many notifications for new posts, so I missed some. Now... I'm setting off for a metric century in the morning. That would be the beautiful Vistula Trail in Mazovia. Although many roads there are gravel, I'm taking my Vado because of longer range than my Trance E+. As my Vado is fully equipped now, it is not afraid of gravel roads, especially gravel packed after heavy rainfalls we have experienced.

View attachment 58829

Wish me luck!
I'm not getting new posts any longer as well. My settings seem OK. Sounds like a forum issue.

For others with the Como 4, why are there no markings to indicate what gear I am in near the shifters on the handlebar.

is this the way this bike is or am I missing an insert or something indicating the current gear?

Back