Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

It looked like a well made bike, China of course. I've read the owner of Juiced is an engineer and has something to do with the aerospace industry so I would think the design is good. You think the Bafang motor such a pos that makes it untouchable?
I simply see no point to downgrade.

It looked like a well made bike, China of course. I've read the owner of Juiced is an engineer and has something to do with the aerospace industry so I would think the design is good. You think the Bafang motor such a pos that makes it untouchable?
One of the bikes I owned was a class 2. Heavy and never felt like a bicycle. Primarily used the throttle for around town and I might as well have owned a moped.

Last edited:
One of the bikes I owned was a class 2. Heavy and never felt like a bicycle. Primarily used the throttle for around town and it might as well have owned a moped.
That's what I'm looking at, more of a class 2 setup. Something that doesn't eat chains and gears.

Marcela,
Any of us has different needs. The only reason I started my e-bike life was the need of improving my health. (And I am actually fond of cycling and adventures). After riding my hub-drive motor e-bike (which does not eat the chain and sprockets much) for a longer while, I noticed that e-bike didn't contribute to my health very much. I went with Vado 5.0 and decided that e-bike would not let me down in any situation, and it let me experience so many adventures. In turn Vado SL gives me what the powerful Vado cannot: fitness.

I'm a a cyclist by heart. The last thing I would like to do is "to be ridden" by my e-bike: I prefer riding it by pedalling. Now, so called Class 2 is in fact a "lightweight" motorcycle. You may need it; I don't.

I've read the owner of Juiced is an engineer and has something to do with the aerospace industry so I would think the design is good.
He could be an engineer (even in the aerospace technology) but certainly not a cyclist.

1654576060480.png

If this is "a good design", them aerospace things and all...

1654576437381.png

then I don't know what a bicycle is :)

The thing that does not eat up the chain and gears is called Turbo Vado IGH :) Or, a Como SL (but I am not a fan of the latter).

Last edited:
Marcela,
Any of us has different needs. The only reason I started my e-bike life was the need of improving my health. (And I am actually fond of cycling and adventures). After riding my hub-drive motor e-bike (which does not eat the chain and sprockets much) for a longer while, I noticed that e-bike didn't contribute to my health very much. I went with Vado 5.0 and decided that e-bike would not let me down in any situation, and it let me experience so many adventures. In turn Vado SL gives me what the powerful Vado cannot: fitness.

I'm a a cyclist by heart. The last thing I would like to do is "to be ridden" by my e-bike: I prefer riding it by pedalling. Now, so called Class 2 is in fact a "lightweight" motorcycle. You may need it; I don't.

He could be an engineer (even in the aerospace technology) but certainly not a cyclist.

View attachment 125433
If this is "a good design", them aerospace things and all...

View attachment 125434
then I don't know what a bicycle is :)

The thing that does not eat up the chain and gears is called Turbo Vado IGH :) Or, a Como SL (but I am not a fan of the latter).
Stephan: You bring up a good point. Riding vs fitness riding. Either is fine depending what your needs and wants are. With that being said, I think a lot of folks (especially new riders) are under the impression that all e-bikes are fitness driven. For me, I started out with a Rad Rover, a powerful cadence sensor bike with a throttle that I soon found out was not really about cycling and fitness. Not to say that the bike wasn't a good bike for some, just not me.

The e-bike industry can be very confusing for the newer riders. The lower price point bikes dominate the global offerings and appear to be great bikes. I also think a lot of marketing surrounding these bikes gives off false impressions of their capabilities. Most don't understand the large difference in quality of group sets, cadence vs torque sensors, drum vs mid drives and mechanical vs hydraulic brakes. In the beginning, I thought $1,400 (US dollars) was a lot for a bike. I guess I was stuck in the old past when $300 was what one paid for a analog bicycle. Everyone has a budget and not all want to spend north of $4,000 for a bike. At the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

After my Rad Bike adventure, I purchased my wife a Specialized Como and a Turbo Levo Comp for myself. What a difference in quality and ride. The journey has now brought me to a Vado SL. Being in my 60's and my quest for fitness and cycling experience, I believe I found a great bike that will offer me many days and miles of pleasure (fitness). Looking back, I could have saved some time and money if I had done a little bit more research in the beginning.

I need to get involved in this discussion .... like Stefan I have both e bikes, and after the first few rides Vado SL, I got the impression that it is now harder for me to ride Vado 6.0 (30% support).
Comparing these two, I would say the following;
- Vado 6.0 is harder to start, but the top speed is higher and easy to maintain.
- Vado SL easier to start (up to 25km / h), but the final speed is lower and harder to maintain. (60% support)

What I’ve also noticed is that the SL is easier to handle climbs, perhaps because of the weight and greater support.
These are my first observations so far.

I think the ebike industry is a lot like the automotive in its infancy.

I need the exercise also and probably won't do the class 2 anyway. I've had a lot of motorcycles over the years and the attraction of an electric style cross between the motorcycle and bicycle sure looks appealing.

Thanks for all the input, some really good points were made.

I wonder how many fewer gears the Vado/Como 5 could be ridden with comfortably, reducing the 11 spd to something with a larger chain. There'd still be the chain line to stay close to also, I think going extreme to either side puts stress on one side of the chain or the other making it stretch. Or maybe the IGH setup.

I do know these used bikes take a beating on the resale market, to part one out would probably be worth more.

What I’ve also noticed is that the SL is easier to handle climbs, perhaps because of the weight and greater support.
Igor,
I managed to forget where you lived: is your area very hilly? In my Mazovian flatland, there are hardly any hills so the few remaining (including overpasses, of course) are manageable with my Vado SL. However... I'd hesitate taking the SL in the high mountains we have elsewhere.

1654607445283.png

Although I used to be on many demanding mountain rides, the one to the most remote road destination of Poland felt the most difficult to me. 125 km, 1500+ m of elevation gain. Without the full power Vado (similar to your 6.0), two batteries, and mountain grade gearing I would not be able to complete it!

Had a creaking noise on the Como for a while. A bike is hard to tell where the sound is coming from I guess because they all sound similar. I thought it was the headset bearings being loose so checked them and they were tight. Would just make the noise and I could feel it in the handlebars when turning abruptly.

Talked to the mechanic at the lbs about it and also asked him about ebike hub drives. He didn't have anything good to say about them but they were a Spec dealer.

So had an idea and checked the spokes. They were loose. The Como has 900 miles on it and hasn't been abused and rider weight is 185# just an fyi. So tightened them up and no more creak! So far. I noticed also the Vado has grommets on the rims for the spokes while the Como does not, don't think this lent to the looseness just an fyi. Imagine they saved a lot of money there:). When tightening the spokes if you fill the tires to max psi it takes some of the tension off the spokes and may make it easier to adjust.

Also the kickstand on the Como was loose. Long enough time the screws were bent. So if you replace the screws be careful, they are M6 and come in 15 & 20mm lengths at the hardware store, but the one used is between these values. And if you use one too long it may get into the brake rotor, too short and not enough thread engagement gets into other problems. Blue loctite is your friend here.

Blue loctite is your friend here.
Totally agree.

Regarding the spokes, I had a single one snapped on one of my Vado rides. Luckily, I could complete that metric century. The spoke was replaced by the most local bike shop, and the wheel got trued there, too.

When I replaced the radar bolt that vibrates loose, I went for the blue loctite in my drawer as well. Always a good idea on vibration prone fasteners.

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'm spoiled with the Specialized bikes and don't know it. I probably need to ride one first. Looked like a cool bike to ride, the Juiced bike he had. He told me he paid $2k for it, I was really surprised, that's half of what the Spec bikes cost.
Been a lurker here, and have unresolved GAS (gear acquisition syndrome) for a Specialized ebike, but can't quite get over the price and some of the other aspects...one of which, I hear that the motor is pretty noisy? Otherwise, seem like awesome bikes that ride well also like a regular bike with the assist off.

I've been really spoiled with my Ride1Up Roadster v2 (bike+extended battery, total cost ~$1500, ~33 lbs stock, ~38 lbs including extender battery), which is almost silent with the carbon belt, and has an unequaled elegance and simplicity with only a single speed. Definitely for my fitness, regularly do long rides, and so far max range single ride a 150+ km ride with 2000+m elevation gain. But took me studying and listening to podcasts (highly recommend the "performance cycling podcast" including ones about riding out of the saddle, climbing, nutrition & fueling during rides, cadence, aerodynamics, etc) to be able to push myself to be able to do the long (metric century +) rides.

Has anyone else used both Specialized and carbon belt drive ebikes, and can give their perspective? I'm still tempted to add another ebike, but might be too spoiled by the quiet, simplicity and lower cost of the Roadster.

TIA.

Last edited:
Many riders say the SL motor is noisy (I do not subscribe to that group). The full power Specialized motors are quiet.
Have you had a chance to demo ride a Specialized e-bike, PSm?

Many riders say the SL motor is noisy (I do not subscribe to that group). The full power Specialized motors are quiet.
Have you had a chance to demo ride a Specialized e-bike, PSm?
Haven't been able to locate a dealer that will let me do a demo ride, maybe Covid related, but haven't checked recently. How have others gotten demo rides?

No. Tell me all about it! :)
Mahle X35 is a lightweight low power hub-drive motor powered by a battery which has a capacity of 3/4 of the Specialized SL one, and only PAS sensing (no torque). As the X35 is widely available to manufacturers, many of them (including several big brands) make "electrified" versions of their traditional models. On the positive side, the X35 e-bikes remain quite lightweight. That's why many road e-bikes are X35 powered. On the negative side, the hub motor does not take the leverage of the bike's gearing. The riding nature is binary: either full assistance (per assist level) or no assistance; it is not like in mid-drives where your pedalling is rewarded with assistance (where it is variable). Also, the rear of the bike is heavier.

Greg is a carbon fibre producer and he wanted to utilise the excess for his own manufacturing. I'm surprised he hasn't come with a road e-bike. He could not also get anything better than the X35.

Specialized own the (Mahle) Specialized SL1.1 mid-drive motor and the system (including the battery). Another lightweight mid-drive is the Fazua, which is expensive, rarely used, and its reputation is spotty.

Perhaps you could demo ride an Orbea, or some Cannondale X35 powered e-bike to learn yourself. (In all honesty, many people are delighted with X35 e-bikes but that's because they have never ridden a Specialized SL e-bike) :)

- Vado SL easier to start (up to 25km / h), but the final speed is lower and harder to maintain. (60% support)
@Igor M, please give your Vado SL this try: Instead of using 60/60% assistance, set your e-bike to 40/100%. You might be positively surprised! While using similar amount of the battery charge, it will reward your effort with increased assistance. @Nubnub has been talking about it a lot but only now I believed him :)

Last edited:
Back