Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

It is an interesting consideration Marcela!
A friend of mine who is a roadie told me riding in the peloton required a cassette with 1-tooth cog difference between each of several top gears. A roadie moves fast in a group of people riding at exactly the same speed, and each individual rider has to maintain constant cadence. If the peloton speed changes, a roadie just changes a single gear, and everything happens so fluently fluidly!

Fortunately to us e-bikers, our e-bikes are far more forgiving.

Last edited:
It is interesting consideration Marcela!
A friend of mine who is a roadie told me riding in the peloton requires a cassette with 1-tooth cog difference between each of several top gears. A roadie moves fast in a group of people riding at exactly the same speed, and each individual rider has to maintain constant cadence. If the peloton speed changes, a roadie just changes a single gear, and everything happens so fluently!

Fortunately to us e-bikers, our e-bikes are far more forgiving.

"happens so fluidly" Just a brief English lesson for your mostly impeccable English skills. (I don't have any foreign language skills, never mind "impeccable!")

2 months in and finally had an issue getting my wife’s battery to pop out. I had some body panel removal tools for working on my car. Fixed the problem in 5 seconds. Not bad to have on hand if you need them. Not the exact ones I have, but same idea.

XBRN Auto Trim Removal Tool Kit,5 Pcs Car Panel Door Window Tools Kit,Auto Clip Fastener Remover Pry Tool Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R44VJHN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_Y4ENW724RBFGRQZ6H4E2

"happens so fluidly" Just a brief English lesson for your mostly impeccable English skills. (I don't have any foreign language skills, never mind "impeccable!")
Which reminds me of my cycling buddy Paul. He's Welsh raised in Liverpool, now a resident of Poland with an excellent command of Polish. However, he says "oprawca" (a torturer) instead of "prześladowca" (an opressor) because both "oprawca" and "opressor" start with the "op" :D

Thank you for improving my English, kahn!

Which reminds me of my cycling buddy Paul. He's Welsh raised in Liverpool, now a resident of Poland with an excellent command of Polish. However, he says "oprawca" (a torturer) instead of "prześladowca" (an opressor) because both "oprawca" and "opressor" start with the "op" :D

Thank you for improving my English, kahn!
A friend from Switzerland seemed to have trouble with "safe" and "save". Again, as an American from "that" generation - we did not really learn foreign languages. I almost did not graduate from college due to German!!!

A friend from Switzerland seemed to have trouble with "safe" and "save". Again, as an American from "that" generation - we did not really learn foreign languages. I almost did not graduate from college due to German!!!
When I was applying for the entry exams to my University, I was given a choice of English or Russian. Many people chose Russian as they believed the exam would be easier for them. What a surprise! The Russian exam was difficult. Many people failed on the sentence: "Several impressive Moscow metro stations are called dvarets". The word means "a palace" in Russian but "a station" in Polish!

I made a single mistake in my English exam.
"What is served by a waiter?"
I wrote "Meals". Only now I learned a waiter served a table :D

When I was applying for the entry exams to my University, I was given a choice of English or Russian. Many people chose Russian as they believed the exam would be easier for them. What a surprise! The Russian exam was difficult. Many people failed on the sentence: "Several impressive Moscow metro stations are called dvarets". The word means "a palace" in Russian but "a station" in Polish!

I made a single mistake in my English exam.
"What is served by a waiter?"
I wrote "Meals". Only now I learned a waiter served a table :D

Wow, Stefan, that’s excellent.
I’m native English speaker and I would probably flunk that test. 😦😮😲

Wow, Stefan, that’s excellent.
I’m native English speaker and I would probably flunk that test. 😦😮😲
The nastiness of that sentence was a Polish kelner actually "serwuje" meals. It was a trap.
It was a friend of mine, an English teacher by education (a Pole) who recently told me about the table. (Perhaps that's a British thing?)

The nastiness of that sentence was a Polish kelner actually "serwuje" meals. It was a trap.
It was a friend of mine, an English teacher by education (a Pole) who recently told me about the table. (Perhaps that's a British thing?)
I would have said food and drinks so I can totally see your answer.

Good morning all!

I am wanting to change the stem on my Vado 5 IGH (2022). I am looking to get a shorter stem so my new handlebars (Jones H Bar) will be closer to the rider.

The original stem is the Flowset (75mm, 20 degree rise), so it is shaped a bit differently than traditional stems. The spacers are also shaped differently and there is no cap.

I am thinking about getting the Specialized Trail Stem (40mm, 6 degree rise), but am concerned the swap will not be straightforward due to the above differences of the Flowstem.

Has anyone replaced the Flowstem with a more traditional stem? Is the swap as simple as removing the old and installing the new? Or are additional parts needed to make this work?

Any insight you have would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Just listed the Vado for any lurkers looking for a Vado 5.0 with improvements.

Ride the Como most all the time and thinking about trying a Class 2. Ran into a guy today who had one and it looked interesting:).

Stefan, what's your take on the rear hub drive bikes? Looking at a Juiced with the new 1000W Bafang motor. Wonder how that would compare to our bikes with the 85 Nm motors. Read that Bafang likes to play with numbers so 1000W may not be an accurate number in the real world.

1D7702F2-B0E4-4EFD-B8B2-E74B685CC136.jpeg

I changed out the bars on my Vado 4 to a pair of Selcof Carbon Flats in 780mm with some Deity Supracush grips.
I didn’t like the swept-back style of the OEM bars on longer rides.

Stefan, what's your take on the rear hub drive bikes? Looking at a Juiced with the new 1000W Bafang motor. Wonder how that would compare to our bikes with the 85 Nm motors. Read that Bafang likes to play with numbers so 1000W may not be an accurate number in the real world.
Give me one reason.

No reason, but if I get one you are welcome to ride it.
Marcela, I do own a hub-drive motor e-bike, 250 W nominal. A good commuter, maintaining a constant speed of 30 km/h under calm conditions, and capable to get at 34 km/h. Once put in motion, it tends to maintain a constant speed and is reliable on the battery consumption (hence, an ideal commuter). I made my two first metric centuries on that e-bike. If it were my only e-bike, I would probably be very happy. I would not take it in the mountains though (too little of torque, and the motor could fry on long ascents). A good friend of mine is very happy to ride the Lovelec, which I let him use for a long time.

What I hate about this e-bike is it does not allow me control its e-bike parameters, and forget any connectivity (which is what I am after). Except of four bars, I have no idea about the battery charge! There is even no clock on the display!

Moreover, I discovered I needed a less powerful e-bike, behaving more like a traditional bicycle, so I bought a Vado SL. Vado 5.0 remains my heavy duty e-bike.

Once I got at the level of Specialized e-bikes, I do not intend to ride any inferior e-bike. As much as rude this sentence might sound, let me say it: "Friends do not let friends buy Bafang" :)

1654454706883.png

Last edited:
I agree, for a total package, Specialized is HARD to beat. I love my Trek 8s with the Bosch Gen 4 motor.....but the Vado 4.0 and Vado 4.0 SL are complete packages. The Mission Control app is pure genius in my opinion...no offense to the Giant (I've owned 3) folks, as I loved the latest generation displays and Ergo2 controller.

Thanks for the input! Maybe I'm spoiled with the Specialized bikes and don't know it. I probably need to ride one first. Looked like a cool bike to ride, the Juiced bike he had. He told me he paid $2k for it, I was really surprised, that's half of what the Spec bikes cost.

Back