Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

No I'm not sure what those are.

The best product from Ortlieb 😊

The "Inserts" is in fact a single two-chamber insert. It makes the bottom of Back Rollers/Bike-Packers/Velo-Shoppers strong and it turns "the sack" into fantastically well thought compartment.

Nappies, diapers. We had an au-pair stay with us for over a year when our youngest were babies (twins, who knew!). Her very English terms were a delight. She never could accept our tea in bags. Hers was always fresh in a tea ball with boiling hot water. Delightful young person. Our four children still remember her fondly.
Ah, yes, the tea infuser!

Ah, yes, the tea infuser!
OMG... My mom used that when I was a young kid.

I think the British have used teabags for a very very long time. My favourite is the PG Tips; I hope neither Brexit not covid would reduce the availability..

The best product from Ortlieb 😊

The "Inserts" is in fact a single two-chamber insert. It makes the bottom of Back Rollers/Bike-Packers/Velo-Shoppers strong and it turns "the sack" into fantastically well thought compartment.
I put my laptop 17.3" in my back pack along with a few items. I then put the back pack in one of the Ortlieb bags. It went in easily. I was also able to fold and clip without exposing the contents. The ride was smooth no movement at all on the rack. Very impressed.

Attachments

• 20200413_113043_HDR.jpg
    20200413_113043_HDR.jpg
    414.3 KB · Views: 408
  • 20200413_113014_HDR.jpg
    20200413_113014_HDR.jpg
    513.3 KB · Views: 392
  • 20200413_113032_HDR.jpg
    20200413_113032_HDR.jpg
    393.3 KB · Views: 393
How is the Thule attached to the rack?
The Thule is solid. Because the rack is so narrow, it's not a perfect fit. Back and front attaches Velcro or slide one end to the front or back of rack and just use use two Velcro straps instead of 4. It's big enough for huge U-Lock and heavy duty chain, portable bike pump, tools, tablet, phone, wallet and a couple of bottles of beverages. It's cool bag for riding around town, or taking bike on the train. Carries like a briefcase. Personally, I think it's overpriced ($87) but at the time I didn't see any other options. Doesn't move around on the rack. Pretty snug, but not as snug as the Ortlieb bags that fit perfectly with your own reducer. The 8mm and 11mm didn't work for me. I made my own out of some rubber pieces I had laying around. I cut them with a blade and crazy glued them inside the parts that attach to the top of the racks. Perfect fit. On and off super easy.

The Thule is solid. Because the rack is so narrow, it's not a perfect fit. Back and front attaches Velcro or slide one end to the front or back of rack and just use use two Velcro straps instead of 4. It's big enough for huge U-Lock and heavy duty chain, portable bike pump, tools, tablet, phone, wallet and a couple of bottles of beverages. It's cool bag for riding around town, or taking bike on the train. Carries like a briefcase. Personally, I think it's overpriced ($87) but at the time I didn't see any other options. Doesn't move around on the rack. Pretty snug, but not as snug as the Ortlieb bags that fit perfectly with your own reducer. The 8mm and 11mm didn't work for me. I made my own out of some rubber pieces I had laying around. I cut them with a blade and crazy glued them inside the parts that attach to the top of the racks. Perfect fit. On and off super easy.
Thule makes quality product.

Can you share details on the mounting plate? My youngest son and I are about to print up a couple of proto-type mods to do what you've apparently all ready done. This would fix one of my pet peeves about the Vado rack, can't use clip-on panniers with Racktime accessories.

Can you share details on the mounting plate? My youngest son and I are about to print up a couple of proto-type mods to do what you've apparently all ready done. This would fix one of my pet peeves about the Vado rack, can't use clip-on panniers with Racktime accessories.
Each item came with the adaptor plate: https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-accessories/racktime-product/snapit-adapter/

I removed the plate from the trunk bag and the screws used to mount the adaptor to the panniers were long enough I could consolidate them to use the same plate so it all attaches as one unit. If I want to just use the trunk bag or the panniers alone, it is four screws to revert to individual units each with their own adaptor plate.

Each item came with the adaptor plate: https://www.racktime.com/en/racktime-products/system-accessories/racktime-product/snapit-adapter/

I removed the plate from the trunk bag and the screws used to mount the adaptor to the panniers were long enough I could consolidate them to use the same plate so it all attaches as one unit. If I want to just use the trunk bag or the panniers alone, it is four screws to revert to individual units each with their own adaptor plate.
I have exact same bags in green.
Brilliant idea. Been thinking about carry both on a trip and how to do so. 👍👍👏🏽
what bag is on your top tube? Very compact. Send more pics please.

Last edited:

Now I see, said the blind man. So you combined the Racktime panniers and the Racktime trunk bag into one assembly. Nice.

I've had Ortlieb clip-on panniers for some years. They're great and I want to keep using them on my Vado, hence my issue. You can't put clip-on panniers on this rack when you use a Racktime trunk bag, the clips interfere with the bag.

We'll finish up our CAD file for our prototypes and get the printer going...

Thanks trying to remember the bag On the top tube. Amazon I think.

View attachment 49820
I considered a top tube bag much like this one but felt it was going to be too long, i.e. there wouldn't be enough room for me when I slid off the saddle. I went with more of a pouch by Dakine, their Hot Lap Gripper Frame Bag. It measurers ~4.5 inches long with plenty of room for a large inner tube, tire levers, CO2, etc.

Dakine.JPG Dakine2.JPG

There's plenty of room for me and this bag on the top tube.

I got the 12t cog installed in place of the 11t. Like it much better, not as much of a jump. The cassette that comes with the Vado 5.0 has the biggest 3 cogs pinned fyi. They can of course be separated if needed. I also have some different cogs on the way and going to play with the tooth count a little, more compact and little better spaced. See how it goes and report back soon.

I got the 12t cog installed in place of the 11t. Like it much better, not as much of a jump. The cassette that comes with the Vado 5.0 has the biggest 3 cogs pinned fyi. They can of course be separated if needed. I also have some different cogs on the way and going to play with the tooth count a little, more compact and little better spaced. See how it goes and report back soon.
Let us know what the 12t cog does to your top end speed. I like being able to keep up with at least some traffic, and out run it on a downhill...

Let us know what the 12t cog does to your top end speed. I like being able to keep up with at least some traffic, and out run it on a downhill...

Using the gear calc it drops the mph by 5. On the level, I can't pull a 11t but up to 30mph, with the 12t at least it feels like I can do something. But at 30 mph the wind gets to be a strong force so much over that sitting up is not going to be much. Downhill, same thing, wind resistance. If you can spin I don't the 12t will take out much. All is imo but I'll report if anything phenomenal happens.

Also going to try to rid the 42t and 37t on the cog and go to a 36t or 34t, get a more compact cog set. Won't know how that goes til this weekend. Gonna try to get to 12,13,14,16,18,20,22,25,28,32,36 somehow. Think I can do it.

Back