Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

I need a rear rack for my new Como 4.0. The bike shop did not have one that fit. I saw a review video with a Rack Time rack but it did not say which one. Which rear racks fit?
Katy,

I believe any standard rear-rack good for the 27.5" (650b) wheels and compatible with disk brakes would do. I can only judge by the photo of the Como in the Specialized website:
1586668643994.png

The standard rear-rack mounting points for M5 bolts are there.

I don't want to mislead you but this Racktime carrier looks promising:

Important: The rear-racks come in different sizes. You have to order one for the 28" wheels (for example, the carrier I've just mentioned comes in 26" and 28" sizes).

I had big problem to choose the rear-rack for my touring e-bike as it didn't have the upper mounting holes in the seat-stays. I chose the Pletscher Athlete Quick-Rack Carrier 28" as seen here:

The benefit is it fits any frame, is strongly adjustable and you can take it off if you don't need the rear-rack permanently. The Pletscher Athlete mounts to the bottom attachment points and to the seat-post.

It is good if you -- upon having chosen some rear-rack -- asked your LBS whether such a carrier would fit the Como. Since the market is full of rear-racks, the choice criteria are:
  1. It has to be for the 27.5" or bigger wheels (28")
  2. It has to be good for the disk brakes
  3. It should connect either to the 5 mm upper holes in the seat-stay or to the seat-post
  4. It should be good for at least 25 kg (55 lb)
I hope this helps.

Another option I used on my first Vado 2 that did not come with rack or fenders was to use a Specialized standard rack with a seat post collar that has bosses to attach the rack instead of attachIng to seat-stay bosses. If there are bosses at the rear dropouts. You have a reasonably sturdy rack.

First post here although I've been reading different parts of the forum for a while. Just bought my wife a new Turbo Como 4.0 (the sale along with the rebate they're having right now is what sold me, along with the 500wh battery on the 4's). We've been riding twice now, and she really likes it. As this is part brag/part question, I'm not sure if this question should be here or in the problem thread, but one thing we've noticed is that the fenders seem to rattle a lot. I've looked at them and they seem to be attached OK, but they also seem really flimsy. I searched the forum for this but couldn't seem to find anything specific. Anyone else experiencing that with their como's? Thanks!!
From the Specialized graphics and promo pics it seems that their Pizza Rack is a good fit for a front rack, though a bit pricey.

download.jpegdownload (1).jpeg

I do agree with Stefan Mikes suggestion for a rear rack though you might also take a look at their Touring Carriers as they have a second horizontal rail that allows panniers to be attached with Racktime accessories clipped into the top of the rack.

Last edited:
From the Specialized graphics and promo pics it seems that their Pizza Rack is a good fit for a front rack, though a bit pricey.

View attachment 49655View attachment 49656

I do agree with Stepan Mikes suggestion for a rear rack though you might also take a look at their Touring Carriers as they have a second horizontal rail that allows panniers to be attached with Racktime accessories clipped into the top of the rack.
I just saw this on a Como and it look really nice. The couple who both had Comos and one of them had this. They had their tiny dog in a tiny box on this.
I really like the option of rack being front to keep eye on it.
Might be too much for longer rides with wind!!

English esp the Americanized version is such an odd language. Even many of us that are 'native' to it don't do very well with it; to, too & two; sail & sale; there, their & they're; your & you're - get serious, how can anyone really understand this stuff! It's a wonder we can communicate at all.

Why would bikes have 'bosses' and how many are 'dropouts' of a bike?

I recently installed this rack on my Giant roam, and it has a ton of mounting options (see the second photo in the add). It's relatively light, really sturdy, and seems to have good reviews (YMMV). Just taking some quick measurements, it looks like it would fit on my wife's como.

I recently installed this rack on my Giant roam, and it has a ton of mounting options (see the second photo in the add). It's relatively light, really sturdy, and seems to have good reviews (YMMV). Just taking some quick measurements, it looks like it would fit on my wife's como.

And REI will take it back if it doen't fit. Gotta love that.

Even many of us that are 'native' to it don't do very well with it; to, too & two; sail & sale; there, their & they're; your & you're
"Pedal" and "peddle" makes me furious!

Why would bikes have 'bosses' and how many are 'dropouts' of a bike?
These are just technical terms. One needs to know them. For example a "washer". What does it wash? 🤔 (A joke!)

Last edited:
"Pedal" and "peddle" makes me furious!

These are just technical terms. One needs to know them. For example a "washer". What does it wash? 🤔 (A joke!)
And then there is American vs British English. Boot/ trunk, bonnet/hood, lift/elevator, kerb/curb, although I have always spelled a financial instrument as cheque vs the American check!

I thought I'd add to positivity. Just received my Ortlieb Back - Roller City from Amazon. Huge amount of space. Ortlieb and Thule combined. The only con is the bags quick release prevents me from leaving on the bike out of sight. Thule bag too. $200 + for all 3. I guess we get what we pay for. Accessories are adding up for sure.

Attachments

• 20200412_162620.jpg
    20200412_162620.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 579
  • 20200412_162533.jpg
    20200412_162533.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 476
I thought I'd add to positivity. Just received my Ortlieb Back - Roller City from Amazon. Huge amount of space. Ortlieb and Thule combined. The only con is the bags quick release prevents me from leaving on the bike out of sight. Thule bag too. $200 + for all 3. I guess we get what we pay for. Accessories are adding up for sure.
Looks great

And then there is American vs British English. Boot/ trunk, bonnet/hood, lift/elevator, kerb/curb, although I have always spelled a financial instrument as cheque vs the American check!
Fender/mudguard, kilometers/kilometres, realize/realise, tire/tyre, color/colour... Although I understand the American terms perfectly, I stick to British English on these Forums just for fun ;) I only make exceptions for the station-wagon (estate car), the big truck (lorry) and for the fender perhaps.

Congratulations, Kam! The funny thing about the Ortlieb panniers is some of them sport a strap so you can carry the panniers on your shoulders while others don't. The only wrong thing about the Bike-Packer and the Back Roller City is the lack of the strap. Did you consider Ortlieb Commuter Inserts?

Last edited:
Fender/mudguard, kilometers/kilometres, realize/realise, tire/tyre, color/colour... Although I understand the American terms perfectly, I stick to British English on these Forums just for fun ;) I only make exceptions for the station-wagon (estate car), the big truck (lorry) and for the fender perhaps.

Congratulations, Kam! The funny thing about the Ortlieb panniers is some of them sport a strap so you can carry the panniers on your shoulders while others don't. The only wrong thing about the Bike-Packer and the Back Roller City is the lack of the strap.
Nappies, diapers. We had an au-pair stay with us for over a year when our youngest were babies (twins, who knew!). Her very English terms were a delight. She never could accept our tea in bags. Hers was always fresh in a tea ball with boiling hot water. Delightful young person. Our four children still remember her fondly.

Pants/trousers! I'm confused with restroom and toilet (not being able to remember which of these words belongs to which language -- I say toilet). Then there are the South Africans ("robot" being the word for the junction signals) and the Australian (morno, arvo).

Do Americans say "bibs" to describe the chamois shorts?

Pants/trousers! I'm confused with restroom and toilet (not being able to remember which of these words belongs to which language -- I say toilet). Then there are the South Africans ("robot" being the word for the junction signals) and the Australian.

Do Americans say "bibs" to describe the chamois shorts?
It is all very confusing, though the preferred term here on the West coast of the US is restroom.

Bibs are chamois that include shoulder straps. Chamois is the generic.

Hadn't heard the South African use of 'robot'. Then there's those from 'downunder', gotta love 'em. It always amazes me that we can actually communicate, at least most of the time.

Bibs are chamois that include shoulder straps. Chamois is the generic.
Thank you! So I've got a pair of bibs. Quite confusing when you need to use the restroom... er... the toilet :D

Then there's those from 'downunder', gotta love 'em. It always amazes me that we can actually communicate, at least most of the time.
The British author Terry Pratchett wrote a novel "The Last Continent" in his Discworld series. The novel is written in the Australian English. I had a hard time to read it. Then I got the Polish edition. The Polish translator wrote a preface explaining many things about the Australian references in the book. So I found a Web site explaining the language of Ozzies. Repeated reading of "The Last Continent" became so easy!

Thank you! So I've got a pair of bibs. Quite confusing when you need to use the restroom... er... the toilet :D

The British author Terry Pratchett wrote a novel "The Last Continent" in his Discworld series. The novel is written in the Australian English. I had a hard time to read it. Then I got the Polish edition. The Polish translator wrote a preface explaining many things about the Australian references in the book. So I found a Web site explaining the language of Ozzies. Repeated reading of "The Last Continent" became so easy!
You sir, are well read.

Congratulations, Kam! The funny thing about the Ortlieb panniers is some of them sport a strap so you can carry the panniers on your shoulders while others don't. The only wrong thing about the Bike-Packer and the Back Roller City is the lack of the strap. Did you consider Ortlieb Commuter Inserts?
@Stefan Mikes. Thanks. No I'm not sure what those are. I'm going to order a couple of shoulder straps to carry the bags with me when I lock my bike up. I read something about cable locking them to frame. I'd rather carry them with me. I know cables can be cut through in seconds.

Back