Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Bike axels only need a light lube to prevent corrosion. This includes the Vado through axels. I use an anti-sieze compound on the threads with just a bit on the shaft; https://www.antiseize.com/moly-lit-moly-based-anti-seize-compound . I keep a 2oz brush top can of this in the shop. If the threads don't need blue locktite (brakes, rack, etc), I apply this. Makes for accurate torque settings and easy disassembly without aiding loosening by vibration like a grease.

The wheel bearings themselves require a good grease. The Vado uses sealed wheel hubs. The internal bearings are pre-greased and do not need servicing nor lubrication until the bearings start to fail at which time new sealed bearings are inserted.
@Sierratim more stuff to buy? You are costing me...haha just kidding. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
my axels were fairly clean and looked well oiled for now. So I just put them back without applying anything.
this was the first time they were being unscrewed and it is only 7 months old.

@Sierratim more stuff to buy? You are costing me...haha just kidding. Thanks for all the good suggestions.
my axels were fairly clean and looked well oiled for now. So I just put them back without applying anything.
this was the first time they were being unscrewed and it is only 7 months old.
When you come from a family of engineers you get a bit anal about this stuff, but hey, it's only money, sometimes lots of it!

@Sierratim could you provide the pivot pint and break lever reference document
I've circled the brake lever pivot point that I lube once or twice a year.

shimano-xt-bl-m8000-right.jpg

My new Como 4.0 is at the bike shop ready for pickup when they open at noon. I am very excited. Since I got my Veego in July I have ridden 3300 miles on it. In many ways I love the bike. But. Where I ride the streets are full of glass, debris and nails. Fixing tires with the rear hub motor is difficult. I decided to get a bike with a motor that won’t be in the way. Also, I can do a lot of my own repairs, and I’ve done a pretty long list of them on the Veego. I hate waiting for parts to be mailed. Sometimes I need a bike shop. I wanted a bike that could be serviced by a local shop under warranty if needed.

I looked hard at the Tern bikes because as someone fairly short I love the small wheels. In the end I decided to go for the Specialized because that is what my local shop sells. I chose the Como because I broke my back in 1986 and find that I do better with a more upright position. Specialized is running a deal to help local shops through quarantine. Ive been riding a lot because it is a way to get out, get exercise, and avoid close contact. So I ordered the bike and I hope it stops raining before I pick it up.

My new Como 4.0 is at the bike shop ready for pickup when they open at noon. I am very excited. Since I got my Veego in July I have ridden 3300 miles on it. In many ways I love the bike. But. Where I ride the streets are full of glass, debris and nails. Fixing tires with the rear hub motor is difficult. I decided to get a bike with a motor that won’t be in the way. Also, I can do a lot of my own repairs, and I’ve done a pretty long list of them on the Veego. I hate waiting for parts to be mailed. Sometimes I need a bike shop. I wanted a bike that could be serviced by a local shop under warranty if needed.

I looked hard at the Tern bikes because as someone fairly short I love the small wheels. In the end I decided to go for the Specialized because that is what my local shop sells. I chose the Como because I broke my back in 1986 and find that I do better with a more upright position. Specialized is running a deal to help local shops through quarantine. Ive been riding a lot because it is a way to get out, get exercise, and avoid close contact. So I ordered the bike and I hope it stops raining before I pick it up.
It finally stopped raining in N CA this AM. Looking forward to a ride up here as well!

I think you made a vise choice. I love my Vado 5. Enjoy

Was just doing a little chain maintenance, didn't know about the narrow/wide chainring thing. Learn something all the time. If you get it one cog off it don't work! What will they think of next.
I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Can you explain further?

I'm not sure what you're referring to here. Can you explain further?
Single chainring setups, like the Vado's, can be prone to chain drops, i.e. the chain comes off the single chainring more often during shifting, etc, often getting jammed between the frame and the chainring. Using a chainring that has teeth that alternate widths minimize this. These are commonly called narrow/wide chainrings. I tried to get a pic of this on one of our Vados. If you squint you might makeout narrow and wide teeth. This discussion has much better graphics; https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/...nring-and-what-are-its-benefits-and-drawbacks .

When installing a chain the wide teeth on the chainring need to match with the 1/2 link with the widest gap.

ChainRing_NarrowWide.jpg

Thanks do you have similar picture of pivot points in rear derailleur?
Sorry, I don't. Rear derailleurs can have up to 20 pivot points so 1 simple pic wouldn't be enough. I suggest you watch the derailleur go through its range of motion as you shift through all the gears looking for sections that move, i.e. pivot points. Watch it from several angles since it changes shape as it moves. You want to be sure to lube the eight parallelogram points (the frame that holds the tension spring), both sides of both rollers (jockey wheels to some), the jockey wheel hanger, and the hanger bracket attachment point to the frame.

The Shadow derailleur also has an internal clutch that will need some lube every few years, or as shifting gets sluggish. There are videos on this process.

Hope this helps.

Be safe. Be healthy. Ride on.

Sorry, I don't. Rear derailleurs can have up to 20 pivot points so 1 simple pic wouldn't be enough. I suggest you watch the derailleur go through its range of motion as you shift through all the gears looking for sections that move, i.e. pivot points. Watch it from several angles since it changes shape as it moves. You want to be sure to lube the eight parallelogram points (the frame that holds the tension spring), both sides of both rollers (jockey wheels to some), the jockey wheel hanger, and the hanger bracket attachment point to the frame.

The Shadow derailleur also has an internal clutch that will need some lube every few years, or as shifting gets sluggish. There are videos on this process.

Hope this helps.

Be safe. Be healthy. Ride on.
@Sierratim thank you.

Single chainring setups, like the Vado's, can be prone to chain drops, i.e. the chain comes off the single chainring more often during shifting, etc, often getting jammed between the frame and the chainring. Using a chainring that has teeth that alternate widths minimize this. These are commonly called narrow/wide chainrings. I tried to get a pic of this on one of our Vados. If you squint you might makeout narrow and wide teeth. This discussion has much better graphics; https://bicycles.stackexchange.com/...nring-and-what-are-its-benefits-and-drawbacks .

When installing a chain the wide teeth on the chainring need to match with the 1/2 link with the widest gap.

View attachment 49517
Duh. When I posted this query I was wondering how it could shift between chainrings and obviously that's not an issue on a Vado.

View attachment 49517
Great explanation. This is also described very clearly in the link you included.
this also answers the question that with the shadow derailleur It is more important that you engage the clutch to ensure chain stays in place and does not drop.

Last edited:
Got an update on the Mission Control for the iphone.

Checked the mph against the GPS. They were real close, Think the Vado 5.0 might have been 1 mph faster against the GPS or less, but pretty close.

First post here although I've been reading different parts of the forum for a while. Just bought my wife a new Turbo Como 4.0 (the sale along with the rebate they're having right now is what sold me, along with the 500wh battery on the 4's). We've been riding twice now, and she really likes it. As this is part brag/part question, I'm not sure if this question should be here or in the problem thread, but one thing we've noticed is that the fenders seem to rattle a lot. I've looked at them and they seem to be attached OK, but they also seem really flimsy. I searched the forum for this but couldn't seem to find anything specific. Anyone else experiencing that with their como's? Thanks!!

No fender noise on either of our Vados.

The "I hate fenders" thread might get you more responses.

Thanks. Yeah the como's and vado's have different fender attachments and are made from different materials - the vado fenders are aluminum but the comos are plastic.

I need a rear rack for my new Como 4.0. The bike shop did not have one that fit. I saw a review video with a Rack Time rack but it did not say which one. Which rear racks fit?

Back