Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

@Court might. Charlie (DC) that has filmed with Court had one for just this purpose on his Como 5.0.
Oh yes, I remember that video. They had to drill into the frame to put the anchor screw. I’m not sure my bike shop has the skill to do that or nor they want to.

Following receiving a company bonus, I ordered the U1-600 battery as the third one for my Vado. Plus a Graphite-colour battery cover (no other is available).
The Euro price of the battery has bgone insane. If the battery can be kept in the "frozen" shape (never activated), I'm going to keep it as a spare for the dark future. My both batteries are not worse than 90% of health after two years of use.

Interestingly, Specialized still make batteries for older Turbo e-bikes!

After 3 years and 6,000km I decided to replace the tires.
I bought the original and after the replacement the biggest difference is in the noise, so the new tires are almost inaudible compared to the old ones which were very noisy ....

4C909645-38C0-479A-87DB-829417EA64E0.jpeg

How do you guys determine the tyres have worn out? (I don't know!)
Usually when the main center tread wears down smooth or if there is any damage to the sidewall. Since e-bike tires tend to be a little heavier and much more durable, I think most of us replace them way more often than really necessary and long before they are worn out.

Here's a great reason why I continue to use a local bike shop.
Recently received a complete upgrade from the original Bloks display to the new TCD-W that works with Mission Control: For FREE. Yes, a most likely $400 (343 Euros) upgrade at no cost. On an old bike!!

The story:
Roughly a month ago shortly after cycling from home, the Vado 6.0 motor stop working. The display worked, checked and reinserted the battery a few times, etc. Thought it was simply the switch on the handle bars that controls the modes. Fortunately only less than a mile from home so riding the beast back home unpowered was possible.
Off to the bike shop for analysis. Thinking it was simply a switch replacement I was completely stunned when they called with the news that it needed the Bloks system completely replaced with the TCD-W upgrade. I'm thinking "Ouch, my poor wallet!" because the bike is pushing 5 years old and almost 5000 miles (8000km), certainly way out of warranty. The shock came when the rep said it was being done at no cost. My local bike shop is a regional chain and sells a ton of Specialized bikes. They said Specialized would reimburse the shop for the entire upgrade. I quickly shut my opened mouth and said "OK thanks"!
It took roughly a week to get all the parts (not bad in today's supply chain challenge) and few more days to complete.
So now I have been playing with Mission Control and some of the settings. The only thing I changed was the Eco mode. Guess I had been used to riding in the factory settings. :)😊🚴‍♀️

I'm still a little stunned but very appreciative to the bike shop.

Recently received a complete upgrade from the original Bloks display to the new TCD-W that works with Mission Control: For FREE. Yes, a most likely $400 (343 Euros) upgrade at no cost. On an old bike!!

The story:
Roughly a month ago shortly after cycling from home, the Vado 6.0 motor stop working. The display worked, checked and reinserted the battery a few times, etc. Thought it was simply the switch on the handle bars that controls the modes. Fortunately only less than a mile from home so riding the beast back home unpowered was possible.
Off to the bike shop for analysis. Thinking it was simply a switch replacement I was completely stunned when they called with the news that it needed the Bloks system completely replaced with the TCD-W upgrade. I'm thinking "Ouch, my poor wallet!" because the bike is pushing 5 years old and almost 5000 miles (8000km), certainly way out of warranty. The shock came when the rep said it was being done at no cost. My local bike shop is a regional chain and sells a ton of Specialized bikes. They said Specialized would reimburse the shop for the entire upgrade. I quickly shut my opened mouth and said "OK thanks"!
It took roughly a week to get all the parts (not bad in today's supply chain challenge) and few more days to complete.
So now I have been playing with Mission Control and some of the settings. The only thing I changed was the Eco mode. Guess I had been used to riding in the factory settings. :)😊🚴‍♀️

That is a totally amazing news, Marci Jo! Congratulations! Now you're effectively enjoying a 2020 Vado 6.0! And you can share my own experiences!
Were any other components replaced, too? (Mine were because that was the Euro S-Pedelec conversion kit with the headlight of value of $500 itself).

Now it is no wonder why I have standardized on Specialized, and eventually chosen the Brand Store. Fancy that: I'm calling Mateusz at the Warsaw Brand Store: "Mr Mateusz, can I make a phone order?" -- "Yes, sure" -- "I will like a spare 604 W Vado battery... a matching cover -- did you tell me only Graphite colour was available?... And an extra Range Extender with the 220 mm cable" -- "Consider it ordered! I will send you a text message confirming the order and price in a few minutes!" -- "Thank you!" In ten minutes, I get the text message ending with: "as usually, we have considered a rebate for you..."

Why should I try with another brand and store in the first place? I'm even standardized on Mission Control, BLEvo, and Wahoo set up for my Specialized e-bikes!

Specialized is an expensive brand but you get a lot in return.

How do you guys determine the tyres have worn out? (I don't know!)
There's a couple of ways that are good indicators. You can look any of these up for more.

1. There is probably a wear indicator in the tire itself. A small, rounded divot right in the center of the tire, look for it. If it's invisible, your tire is worn out.​
2. You start to see threads underneath any part of the rubber.​
3. You flat a few times on the same tire.​
4. The tire starts to "square". That is, you look at a new tire straight on, and it's round. A "squared" tire isn't actually square, but you can visibly tell it's not round anymore.​
Anything else should be pretty obvious (big hole, bulge, etc.)​
6,000km is a LONG way to ride on any tire, even on the best roads. Most riders swap them out about half of this. On performance tires, such as Continental 5000's for road bikes, it's more like 2,000km. On the Specialized Turbo cotton, even less. You'll simply start to flat, a lot.​

The story:

Where are you and this wonderful bike shop located? :D

Although, I can't really claim any issues with my local. They recently did work on my bike but forgot to include the labor or parts on the invoice. They sent an email saying I could stop in and settle or they would just carry it over till I next visited the shop.

Thank you @Rider51!

Kahn, the BLOKS -> TCD-w conversion was indeed a big action by Specialized, similar to a product recall, only made smarter. It had turned out the BLOKS display didn't make the promise of connecting to Mission Control, and was a piece of junk anyway. Anyone who asked could have their BLOKS swapped for TCD-w, and it meant a lot of labour for LBS, too. I am surprised Marci Jo got her TCD-w well past the warranty but it only shows how reliable Specialized is.

Usually when the main center tread wears down smooth or if there is any damage to the sidewall. Since e-bike tires tend to be a little heavier and much more durable, I think most of us replace them way more often than really necessary and long before they are worn out.
There's a couple of ways that are good indicators. You can look any of these up for more.

1. There is probably a wear indicator in the tire itself. A small, rounded divot right in the center of the tire, look for it. If it's invisible, your tire is worn out.​
2. You start to see threads underneath any part of the rubber.​
3. You flat a few times on the same tire.​
4. The tire starts to "square". That is, you look at a new tire straight on, and it's round. A "squared" tire isn't actually square, but you can visibly tell it's not round anymore.​
Anything else should be pretty obvious (big hole, bulge, etc.)​
6,000km is a LONG way to ride on any tire, even on the best roads. Most riders swap them out about half of this. On performance tires, such as Continental 5000's for road bikes, it's more like 2,000km. On the Specialized Turbo cotton, even less. You'll simply start to flat, a lot.​
1635152167608.png

This is the front tyre of my Vado 5.0, a Schwalbe Smart Sam 47-622 that I installed on September 17th, 2020, and which accumulated at least 6,000 km since. Looking worn? (I don't think so).

No, if you keep riding it in the mud it should be good for at least a few more thousend km.
Perhaps that German product (albeit made in Indonesia) is simply very good? :)

1635265920268.png

I admit I could have ridden less than a thousand of the above on Schwalbe winter tyres.

Back