Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Just got the "LO BATT" message on my display so time to replace the battery. My bike is less than two years old -- how long do these typically last? I can buy a pack of 10 CR1220s from Amazon for $5 (free shipping), which is probably less than it would be to buy a pack of one or two at a local hardware store. Ridiculous as it's likely the only time I'll ever need this particular cell! CR2032s, on the other hand, I go through regularly since they're used in a lot of gadgets and accessories.

1.5-2 years. It makes little sense to buy 10 batteries.
Except that it costs almost the same to buy a pack of one. :rolleyes:

Is there any trick to removing the display to access the battery cover? I see in the manual that it twists onto the mount, but there's also an "anti-twist plate" that gets attached with a screw.

Last edited:
So, is there any trick to removing the TCD so I can replace the battery?
Maybe a clarification is necessary. I know there's the wired and wireless version of the TCD. I recently had to replace the battery in my wireLESS version.

Unless I'm confused (possible), I just twisted it a quarter turn and it disengaged from the handlebar mount. Then I do remember being careful to pop the battery cover. But I also thought mine (Creo) used what I'd call the standard coin cell.

TCD Battery Change.jpg

Maybe a clarification is necessary. I know there's the wired and wireless version of the TCD. I recently had to replace the battery in my wireLESS version.

Unless I'm confused (possible), I just twisted it a quarter turn and it disengaged from the handlebar mount. Then I do remember being careful to pop the battery cover. But I also thought mine (Creo) used what I'd call the standard coin cell.
Newer Vados come with "anti-theft plate" that makes the quarter-turn impossible. Rochrunner asks whether anyone has already released the plate and how.

Hello, For the VADO 5.0 model for the EU market, the speed limit is 25km / h.
How is the restriction removed? Software or need additional installation of some parts?
Some suggestion.

Yeah, I wish it were a 2032: I have about a dozen of those in stock since they're used in so many sensors and other devices that I have.
Okay, you can tell where my mind is is is NOT this morning. My comment mentioned batteries and you mentioned 2032. I thought you were talking about the YEAR 2032 and what great batteries we could expect then to power our bikes! o_O

Got any pictures of the new theft-prevention mounting bracket system? I love when they make sure parts are user friendly!!!!!

Hello, For the VADO 5.0 model for the EU market, the speed limit is 25km / h.
How is the restriction removed? Software or need additional installation of some parts?
Some suggestion.
Igor, it could be a version of PearTune (a chip) . I will tell you more about it later. Make sure the Vado is NOT the 2022 model, as the new MasterMind Vados cannot be easily defeated. There's even simpler mechanical solution known as Planet3 that is made in Croatia. Again, I will tell you more later.

750 / 5000
Stefan hello,
The question was more whether it can be solved in LBS software or it has to go this way like platnet3.
I’ve been thinking about buying a new e bike for a while now solely for size reasons (it’s currently M and I need L or XL).
I have the opportunity to buy a Vado 5.0 2021, which I have as a good price, so I'm stupid that it doesn't have full power.
Another option is the VADO 5.0 SL EQ 2021, as an option because I use the bike as a trek. I have a dilemma here, because it draws me to Vado with full force.
The third option is to wait for the new model 6.0 2022. I don’t ride every day, but when I have the time, and the weather conditions allow.
Current Vado 6.0 settings are 30% support where I make a 20-30km route I make an average speed of 28-30km / h. I drive exclusively on asphalt, with minor ascents.

750 / 5000
Stefan hello,
The question was more whether it can be solved in LBS software or it has to go this way like platnet3.
I’ve been thinking about buying a new e bike for a while now solely for size reasons (it’s currently M and I need L or XL).
I have the opportunity to buy a Vado 5.0 2021, which I have as a good price, so I'm stupid that it doesn't have full power.
Another option is the VADO 5.0 SL EQ 2021, as an option because I use the bike as a trek. I have a dilemma here, because it draws me to Vado with full force.
The third option is to wait for the new model 6.0 2022. I don’t ride every day, but when I have the time, and the weather conditions allow.
Current Vado 6.0 settings are 30% support where I make a 20-30km route I make an average speed of 28-30km / h. I drive exclusively on asphalt, with minor ascents.
All European e-bikes are restricted to 25 km/h because a 25 km/h e-bike is just a bike by the EU law. The only way to remove the restriction is to go the illegal way (electronic or mechanical derestrictor). Vado 6.0 is the only S-Pedelec made by Specialized, and that's a street legal European moped. (I understand your country is outside the EU but it does not change anything related to Specialized).

All European e-bikes are restricted to 25 km/h because a 25 km/h e-bike is just a bike by the EU law. The only way to remove the restriction is to go the illegal way (electronic or mechanical derestrictor). Vado 6.0 is the only S-Pedelec made by Specialized, and that's a street legal European moped. (I understand your country is outside the EU but it does not change anything related to Specialized).

Forgive me everyone, but I'm new and don't know how to introduce a new topic to this sub-category of the forum, so I'm just hitting 'Reply'. I've just bought a Specialized Turbo Como 700 step through size S in the UK. I am confused as to what version this is, since everyone here uses single digits or a format like 5.0 to describe theirs. So I don't precisely know which one I've got. I really like riding it, by the way, and I like the Mission Control app (apart from its lack of awareness of the Apple Watch), but I am disappointed that it has zero security features - a cheap moped would be more difficult to steal! My other main gripe is that you can't take the battery indoors to charge it and leave the bike out in the rain, unless you want the battery cavity and its electrical contacts to host a pool of water! I'm thinking of fabricating a cover to deal with this. Anyone else worried about these issues?

Forgive me everyone, but I'm new and don't know how to introduce a new topic to this sub-category of the forum, so I'm just hitting 'Reply'. I've just bought a Specialized Turbo Como 700 step through size S in the UK. I am confused as to what version this is, since everyone here uses single digits or a format like 5.0 to describe theirs. So I don't precisely know which one I've got. I really like riding it, by the way, and I like the Mission Control app (apart from its lack of awareness of the Apple Watch), but I am disappointed that it has zero security features - a cheap moped would be more difficult to steal! My other main gripe is that you can't take the battery indoors to charge it and leave the bike out in the rain, unless you want the battery cavity and its electrical contacts to host a pool of water! I'm thinking of fabricating a cover to deal with this. Anyone else worried about these issues?

Welcome. I'm sure someone will know how to identify your model.

In the main Specialized forum, near the upper right should be "Post Thread" button to start a new thread. Unless new members are somewhat restricted (which I don't remember). There was just a discussion of creating some kind of cover for the battery compartment or using Saran Wrap or other cellophane type of product. I guess there is 3d printing something if someone's got talent in that area.

It does seem odd that they have not come up with a keyed ignition or similar. I gather from what I've read that they now do offer some kind of code to lock their newer models.

Again, welcome and enjoy the bike.

There are cold weather wraps for the removable batteries in the downtube of the heavy Vados and Comos( neoprene that attach with velcro straps) that should be waterproof enough for a stationary bike. I have them for snow and ice, but I think someone used them on a rack ... maybe at highway speeds.

As a follow-up on my replacement of the battery in the bar-mounted display on my Vado 4.0, although the manual shows an "anti-twist bracket" being installed, mine had no such part and I was able to twist it right out and replace the CR2012 battery ($3.27 at Home Depot) in about a minute flat. I also did not have to redo my display customizations as implied in the manual. In other words, it was no big deal at all!

Back