Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Yes, the dark area of my photo looks exactly like yours.
so do you have the SET button on top of the Level of Assistance switch Like mine?
if I hold my SET button, the display clears

Yes, the dark area of my photo looks exactly like yours.
so do you have the SET button on top of the Level of Assistance switch Like mine?
if I hold my SET button, the display clears
I neglected to say I have the Creo and don't have that power button setup.

But if yours looks like the one in the picture (it is a Specialized picture), the the slot or split actually separates two separate PRESS down 'buttons' but it is anything but obvious. As I wrote, mine are sometimes hard to click and register the press/pressure. Since I don't have your little gizmo, to clear my tcd, I have to press both sides (of the split) simultaneously to reset and more often than not, I miss one or the other button and page through the display rather than resetting the darn thing. So try pressing and holding the LEFT button and it might start the CLOCK blinking. Page through options with the Left, move between 12/24 clock with the right button and press both to select and move on.

I don't see how to attach a pdf file to this thread.
tcd1.jpg

tcd2.jpg

I did an odd thing.

On the Vado a while back I installed a set of handlebars with the same sweep but a rise of about 1.5" or so to make it more upright.

This morning on the Como I removed the granny bars and installed the Vado bar. Since the Como is more upright and doesn't really put any weight on the arms my ass was feeling the brunt of the weight shift, not something I couldn't get used to of course but I didn't ride it enough for that at the moment. I noticed the Vado bars are a little narrower also.

So this moves me forward a minimum amount really, there is not much difference between the two bars, one swept back more and the other narrower. But from the cockpit it looks like a regular bike now and not the boulevard cruiser it is and the narrower bars I think I like also. The forward lean is not as much as I had expected but it will work.

So there you have it, something a little different, something a little tart.

Rode by the lbs and got the lbs only update. Couldn't tell any difference, maybe shift better. Like the Vado handlebars on the Como, when on the pedals the Vado bars give better clearance, the grannies kind of get in the way.

Majority of EBR Forum owners of Specialized e-bikes ride either a Turbo Vado or a Como. This is natural, as these two major models have been designed for an average cyclist. Turbo Levo and Kenevo are technical ride stuff, discussed on e-MTB fora. Creo is for road cycling fanatics :)

It is quite interesting American versions of Vado are in the majority Class 3 bikes, while the only speed Vado model for Europe is Vado 6.0. Does anybody own the 6.0? Canadians have to be content with the 32 km/h versions, unluckily. (The Australian have to be content with 25 km/h).

I'd like you friends to talk more about your experiences with your Specialized e-bikes, for good and for bad. Please post pictures if you like.

I fell in love with my 2017 Specialized Turbo Vado 5.0, which I bought in Autumn 2019. (I thought of buying a 2019 or 2020 model that would have stretched my budget too far). There are four components and a feature I am extremely happy with in my 2017 model:
  1. Rigid fork - (2020 update: married with Baramind BAM suspension handlebars; and the Kinekt 2.1 suspension seatpost)
  2. 29x2" Elektrak tyres (Autumn 2020: Replaced with Schwalbe Smart Sam 47-622 for some off-road capability while staying silent on-road)
  3. TRP Zurich brakes (the top of the class)
  4. 600 lm headlight and very strong rear light, illuminating the number plate as well. (2020 update: Following the overhaul from the BLOKS to the TCD-W display, the headlight was replaced by Specialized with a 1700 lm Supernova M99 Pro).
The feature is the beautiful grey colour.
View attachment 45130

When I first mounted the Vado, I was positively shocked with the bike's geometry. So sporty! What I love about my Vado is the agility and the acceleration, both being fantastic, especially in the Sport mode. It is a lot of fun to ride fast!

Now, it is your turn to brag about your Specialized e-bikes!

My Vado developed an irritating 'chirp' as I rode, even when I wasn't pedaling. It took a while but I realized it was sync'd to wheel rotation, 1 'chirp' per wheel turn, but only with a rider. I cleaned the chain, the chain ring, etc. As it got louder over time I pulled the wheels checking bearing play, spoke tension, checked for loose fenders and finally called my son the bike mech engineer.

He brought over his company's wheel bearing press like this Park Tool model;

With moderate pressure he was able to press the rear hub bearings in just a bit more. The 'chirp' was much better, but still there with each wheel rotation.

He took my front wheel home, 3D printed an adapter for the press (gotta love having engineers for sons), and pressed the front bearings. They did move, up to the point the adapter broke!

My bike was 'chirp' free on the next ride, up to about 20 miles. Then it was back, very faint, but still there with each wheel rotation.

My son suggested I try one of his spare wheels, I mean who doesn't have a 1/2 dozen or so thru-axle wheels laying around? Rode up to his place SAT 'chirp' free until after ~3 miles when it was back.

Longish story short, the loaner front wheel fixed it. I rode 20 more miles SAT and no chirp. I'm going to drop off the original wheel to the LBS to see if they can press the bearings competley into place. Otherwise it looks like a new wheel for me, or a chirp that I get really tired of.

What happened? My son believes the wheels are like most, assembled with semi-automated equipment. The bearings probably weren't fully seating when the wheels were built, but they met the pressure spec for the press. After thousands of miles they loosened just a bit. Fully seating them fixes it.

Mystery solved, I hope!

Got a reply back from a reputable brose motor rebuilder on torque value for motor attaching nuts. Brose S and T models he suggested 22.5 Nm which is 16.5 ft lbs.

Checking the settings on my bikes after the lbs did the update. Did anybody notice you can now change startup assist level? Also it asked me to name the bike instead of using the VIN which is nice.
What update was this? Something recent?

In the light of I can read about different e-bike systems, I only want to say that we are very fortunate to own and ride Specialized Turbo e-bikes. Just think about it:
  • Only three battery systems (UI, M, and SL) each of them to be used for different e-bike type (Vado/Como; full power e-MTBs; SL road, gravel, MTB and fitness e-bikes)
  • Unified electronics based on the TCU/Mission Control system (even if Vados and Comos only emulate the TCU)
  • Motors from two manufacturers. Specialized demanded full control on these motors, so Brose or Mahle cannot do what they please. Besides, Mahle cannot sell the SL motor to any other competitor. (It is a Specialized motor manufactured by Mahle, not a Specialized-branded Mahle motor).
Sometimes, we are not fully aware how fortunate we are...

The status of my Vado battery #1 after 22 months of riding.
Screenshot_20210908-172333_BLEvo.jpg

As I have been rotating both batteries to get them on the equal number of charges, it looks I need to start worrying only after next 4 years. If the motor will stand it! 🙂

I'm certainly glad your KM and READ KM match!!! :)

Is this a Blevo output?
Yes, that's from the Battery Monitor.

The kilometres have to match, as I have set the Specialized value for the wheel circumference, per Mission Control :D I normally record my rides in BLEvo but by using GPS data. That way, the wheel circumference doesn't really matter!

Has anyone experienced a low pitch squeaking/creaking noise caused by the battery rubbing against the Vado frame housing (not sure if I described this correctly)? I have a Vado 5.0 and on every pedal stroke, I hear plastic rubbing against plastic. My LBS said although the battery fits snugly, it can still move a bit in the housing when riding; they didn't have a solution to fix it.

Has anyone experienced a low pitch squeaking/creaking noise caused by the battery rubbing against the Vado frame housing (not sure if I described this correctly)? I have a Vado 5.0 and on every pedal stroke, I hear plastic rubbing against plastic. My LBS said although the battery fits snugly, it can still move a bit in the housing when riding; they didn't have a solution to fix it.
Yes. On my Como 5.0. Take the battery out and ride—sound is gone.
My bike came with spacers for the battery. No clue how they fit.

Back