Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

Has anyone experienced a low pitch squeaking/creaking noise caused by the battery rubbing against the Vado frame housing (not sure if I described this correctly)? I have a Vado 5.0 and on every pedal stroke, I hear plastic rubbing against plastic. My LBS said although the battery fits snugly, it can still move a bit in the housing when riding; they didn't have a solution to fix it.
Yes. This was the source of the annoying "bottom bracket squeaking" that I was complaining about in another post and the mechanic at the LBS showed me what it was. It can help to try re-latching the battery using the "whack it into place" technique. Basically, when you get it almost into position with about a 1/4" gap from being fully seated, with the heel of my hand I give it a sharp whack on the upper edge of the battery in a sort of down and to the right direction to firmly drive it into place.

Basically, when you get it almost into position with about a 1/4" gap from being fully seated, with the heel of my hand I give it a sharp whack on the upper edge of the battery in a sort of down and to the right direction to firmly drive it into place.
That's why I have never experienced the issue :)

Either my Como or Vado had the squeaking battery thing. Haven't noticed it lately so think it went away, think that is called self clearancing:). It's not a water tight fit so you can take the cover off and may be able to move it around or space it off the battery with washers.

I dug around the thread a little but coudn't find a good answer. What panniers do you guys like? I'm worried about getting one that wont work with the rails on the racktime rack. I don't mind racktime but I had a really bad experience with their HEDA bag where it went into my spokes, broke a spoke off, and taco'ed my macbook. I use them primarily for work commute so a laptop sleeve and compartments would be nice. This is for a 2020 Vado 4.0 with the stock racktime system.

I dug around the thread a little but coudn't find a good answer. What panniers do you guys like? I'm worried about getting one that wont work with the rails on the racktime rack. I don't mind racktime but I had a really bad experience with their HEDA bag where it went into my spokes, broke a spoke off, and taco'ed my macbook. I use them primarily for work commute so a laptop sleeve and compartments would be nice. This is for a 2020 Vado 4.0 with the stock racktime system.
Ortlieb E-Mate is my favourite pannier. It is extremely well suited to carry commute related stuff. Ortlieb panniers based on QL 2.1 are universal, easy to attach to the rack and can be removed with a single hand pull. The E-Mate can be carried on a strap when not on the bike. There's a word of warning though: even if Ortlieb panniers are equipped with adapters to match different size of rack tubes, these unfortunately rub the paint off the rack. I have solved that issue the following way:

The Ortlieb pannier has two adjustable top attachment devices: I adjusted them the way they sit inside two perpendicular rack beams, so the pannier cannot slide forward or rearwards of the bike. Then I used a good soft tape to protect the paint and make the rack attachment points tubular. As an Ortlieb pannier also has an adjustable hook at its bottom, I protected the rack stays with the tape, too.

After all these actions, the E-Mate sits tighly on the rack with no movements whatsoever. (I will try to post photos after I can get to my e-bike, as it is now packed inside my car).

Ortlieb E-Mate is my favourite pannier. It is extremely well suited to carry commute related stuff. Ortlieb panniers based on QL 2.1 are universal, easy to attach to the rack and can be removed with a single hand pull. The E-Mate can be carried on a strap when not on the bike. There's a word of warning though: even if Ortlieb panniers are equipped with adapters to match different size of rack tubes, these unfortunately rub the paint off the rack. I have solved that issue the following way:

The Ortlieb pannier has two adjustable top attachment devices: I adjusted them the way they sit inside two perpendicular rack beams, so the pannier cannot slide forward or rearwards of the bike. Then I used a good soft tape to protect the paint and make the rack attachment points tubular. As an Ortlieb pannier also has an adjustable hook at its bottom, I protected the rack stays with the tape, too.

After all these actions, the E-Mate sits tighly on the rack with no movements whatsoever. (I will try to post photos after I can get to my e-bike, as it is now packed inside my car).
Since my last post, I found another one of your posts talking about the e-mate. I can't find one here in the US but now I've fallen down the rabbit hole of Ortlieb bags. The back roller and that organizer insert looks perfect. I think im going to go with that. Those bags look incredible.

I just found one! Its from a bike shop one state away so it shouldn't even take long to get to me. Thanks for the suggestion, and thank you for posting about it a while back. It looks perfect for what I need.

I, too, have the Ortlieb like Stefan. But I have the FRONT roll up version on the BACK rack (Axiom). I did not need a lot of capacity. As mentioned, they have a series of adjustments to fit the diameter of your rack's rails as well as the front/back placement to fit between any cross-bars on the rack. The bottom attachment is very nicely engineered allowing customization, too (no spoke poke). As noted, just pull up on its strap and the spring loaded "hooks" open an disengage and the pannier is freed and off. Same when attaching. Grab that strap and the hooks open, lower to rails, release strap and those hooks spring closed. NOT cheap! The smaller "front" pair have the large open pocket and both an interior pocket and a smaller zipper pocket. Reflector fabric in places, of course. I got the garish neon yellow/green color. I want to be seen.

5 is way more comfortable than the 4, well worth the extra cash
I solved that problem of my Vado SL 4.0 by installing Redshift ShockStop front and rear. Far less expensive than SL 5.0 to the same effect (and the SL 5.0 is missing the suspension seat-post).

hopefully specialized will come out with a longer range extender battery, the new 2.2 brose vado's have 710wh battery
Better they wouldn't. Any bigger battery means increased weight, and that's against the very idea of a super lightweight e-bike. If someone needs more assistance, it is OK to buy the second Range Extender and carry it in a backpack or a pannier.

My longest SL 4.0 ride with Range Extender was 116 km (72 mi) and I have to ride farther to empty both batteries yet... Note: The average percentage of assistance on that ride was 55%.

i am fine with the added weight, rather have the option
Are you aware that the 160 Wh Range Extender is the largest capacity battery that can be taken on a flight (with airline consent)? It would be a grave mistake for Specialized to make a bigger Range Extender. These people do think. As I said before, nothing stops you to buy an extra Range Extender if weight doesn't matter to you.

P.S. Other brands that offer super lightweight e-bikes (and I don't need to mention their name) come with a 252 Wh main battery and no range extender.

don't think it would be an mistake, gives us options as riders, bosch does, like extra battery that fits on the rear rack
The most lightweight Bosch based e-bikes (such as Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon) are far heavier than Vado SL because they carry the full power Bosch CX motor and... guess what? A heavy 500 Wh battery. Such Bosch based e-bikes can neither use any bigger battery nor an extra battery just because of the weight consideration. Besides, road e-bikes have no rear rack in the first place. To make it simple: Bosch has been unable to create any lightweight motor. Or, a lightweight battery.

E-bikes than can compete with Specialized SL by light weight are equipped with:
  • Either Mahle Ebikemotion X35 rear-drive hub motor, and a 252 Wh battery;
  • Or Fazua Evation mid-drive motor with a 250 Wh battery.
Neither of these systems offers any range extender.

If you are able to mention any Bosch based e-bike that matches Specialized SL bikes by weight, please name the name and model. Also please show that such super lightweight e-bike can use an extra battery.

Next time someone takes the wheel off one of their SL bikes weigh it, I'd like to compare it to a wheel off my Como or Vado. My wondering is how much of the lightness feel is attributable to the wheel set.

Next time someone takes the wheel off one of their SL bikes weigh it, I'd like to compare it to a wheel off my Como or Vado. My wondering is how much of the lightness feel is attributable to the wheel set.
I will. Give me a couple of hours.

The most lightweight Bosch based e-bikes (such as Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon) are far heavier than Vado SL because they carry the full power Bosch CX motor and... guess what? A heavy 500 Wh battery. Such Bosch based e-bikes can neither use any bigger battery nor an extra battery just because of the weight consideration. Besides, road e-bikes have no rear rack in the first place. To make it simple: Bosch has been unable to create any lightweight motor. Or, a lightweight battery.

E-bikes than can compete with Specialized SL by light weight are equipped with:
  • Either Mahle Ebikemotion X35 rear-drive hub motor, and a 252 Wh battery;
  • Or Fazua Evation mid-drive motor with a 250 Wh battery.
Neither of these systems offers any range extender.

If you are able to mention any Bosch based e-bike that matches Specialized SL bikes by weight, please name the name and model. Also please show that such super lightweight e-bike can use an extra battery.
a minor point of accuracy, the mahle system does offer a range extender. said bikes can be/are very light.

Attachments

• A51A920A-FB12-419F-A141-7C5AEEC3E45E.jpeg
    A51A920A-FB12-419F-A141-7C5AEEC3E45E.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 128
the mahle system does offer a range extender.
About 170 Wh.

@Marcela: the front wheel of my Vado SL 4.0 with Smart Sam 37-622 weighs 580 grams. The front wheel of my Vado 5.0 with Smart Sam 47-622 is 750 grams. Please do the unit conversion yourself! (Note: wheel weight depends on a specific rim, tyre, inner tube, brake rotor, etc).

About 170 Wh.

@Marcela: the front wheel of my Vado SL 4.0 with Smart Sam 37-622 weighs 580 grams. The front wheel of my Vado 5.0 with Smart Sam 47-622 is 750 grams. Please do the unit conversion yourself! (Note: wheel weight depends on a specific rim, tyre, inner tube, brake rotor, etc).
hmmmmm. 580 grams? that can’t be right. according to schwalbe the tire itself weighs 475g. (37-622 foldable schwalbe smart sam), and a typical aluminum wheel is in the 500+ range.

for comparison, roval’s absolutely lightest carbon road disc brake wheel, the alpinist CLX, is 562 grams for the rim, hub, and spokes. add 200g for a super light 700x25 tire and 100g for a brake rotor … 850-900g is about the lightest a complete ready to roll wheel of this diameter could be.

Back