Specialized Turbo Vado/Como/Tero/Tero X User Club

First of all, I need to determine if I can get on and off the diamond frame :) Secondly, I need to make me informed on the bike.
My gf has asked a direct question whether I would NOT buy the bike? Of course, I wouldn't :) There are other expensive needs I need to satisfy if I want to live together with @Brix in the future.

Last edited:
Yes, a beer stop should be possible definitely
I would love to but...
My plan is to ride my Vado for 36 km in Turbo mode to Specialized Warsaw (they will store my e-bike). Then, up to 4 hours of SL ride, combined with visiting a friend who needs my help nearby (getting into the warm place will be good for me!) Finally, I need to make another 36 km return trip upwind (on spare battery and in Sport mode on my Vado). Unfortunately that prevents me from getting imbibed. Post-ride beer will be the right thing to have!

First of all, I need to determine if I can get on and off the diamond frame :) Secondly, I need to make me informed on the bike.
My gf has asked a direct question whether I would NOT buy the bike? Of course, I wouldn't :) There are other expensive needs I need to satisfy if I want to live together with Ewa in the future.
n+1, just sayin' 🤣

Friends!
On this Saturday, I'm going to have a test ride on Turbo Vado SL 5.0 EQ! Specialized Warsaw offers test rides for PLN 125 a day (US$ 33). I'm so excited!

i had the vado5.0 SL and gave it back to the dealer in 2 weeks, motor issues. not uncommon on the SL for some reason( thats what i hear neway). glad it happened because i tried a como 5.0 and couldn't believe the difference. way more comfortable and much more powerful, bigger motor and battery but at the expense of more weight.
upon cleaning the derailleur sprockets of caked on gunk @450 miles /3 months old, some of the teeth on the cassette look like fangs. to the shop next week...

Last edited:
I’m an interloper (Trek Allant XL frame) who is interested in a 2nd bike for guests (Medium...low step) who are fit 60-70 yo’s.
I’m looking to a Specialized Como or Vado 4. This would be for country roads mostly and I wonder if the less aggressive Como might be a more comfortable than the more aggressive Vado.

i had the vado5.0 SL and gave it back to the dealer in 2 weeks, motor issues. not uncommon on the SL for some reason( thats what i hear neway). glad it happened because i tried a como 5.0 and couldn't believe the difference. way more comfortable and much more powerful, bigger motor and battery but at the expense of more weight.
upon cleaning the derailleur sprockets of caked on gunk @450 miles /3 months old, some of the teeth on the cassette look like fangs. to the shop next week...
The reason I'm taking the demo ride is not to buy the SL but to understand how different an SL would be from my regular Vado. Sorry to hear about your experience with possibly damaged cassette. We've been talking a lot in this and other threads in the Specialized forum on riding techniques, chain, cassette and chainring maintenance. 450 miles is not that much if the drive-train is used properly and taken care of...

@como813: Is your Como equipped with the BLOKS or TCD-W display?

I’m an interloper (Trek Allant XL frame) who is interested in a 2nd bike for guests (Medium...low step) who are fit 60-70 yo’s.
I’m looking to a Specialized Como or Vado 4. This would be for country roads mostly and I wonder if the less aggressive Como might be a more comfortable than the more aggressive Vado.
@Mulezen: The market situation is tough now but a demo ride would make you understand your own needs. If you care of the ride comfort in the first place, Como users here will certainly assure you that's the bike you want! :)

Last edited:
I’m wondering about subjective comparisons between the two. I won’t be riding it, and the store has only a size small on the floor. They do have a medium Trek Allant 7s (cat 3) but it’s $400 more.

It really depends on what feels best for you. My wife and test rode both and went with the Vado. The fit was quite similar to our Cannondale Quick mech bikes which we enjoy riding in our 70's.

I'd recommend a couple of test rides, perhaps even a day rental.

I’m wondering about subjective comparisons between the two.
No doubt Como has more upright position, and even if there is no suspension fork in the U.S. version, the 2.4" tyres compensate that well. Several Allant+ models sport the rigid fork, too, and thick tyres.

A Como is a more comfortable bike for most people by a wide margin even with the fixed forks. Like riding a beach crusier vs riding a drop bar road bike. But it doesn't have the top class climbing ability of the Vados.
However, both bikes are way overkill for something that is mostly going to sit in the garage, and come out a few times a year for guests.
Is there a less expensive bike that will accept the same battery from your Alliant ? That way you can switch off batteries between them. 🤔

A Como is a more comfortable bike for most people by a wide margin even with the fixed forks. Like riding a beach crusier vs riding a drop bar road bike. But it doesn't have the top class climbing ability of the Vados.
However, both bikes are way overkill for something that is mostly going to sit in the garage, and come out a few times a year for guests.
Is there a less expensive bike that will accept the same battery from your Alliant ? That way you can switch off batteries between them. 🤔
Some good points...the bike will sit idle more than I like though friends have been visiting me in the country (Covid). I’d hoped to provide my more ‘normal’ sized friends a healthy dose of what I’ve been riding & raving about.
With an undetermined frequency of use battery health would be easier with a Trek though I’m unsure the 500w battery will operate inside my Allant 9s’ down tube. I recognize the ‘overkill’ aspect but I have a $2200 store credit at the LBS (SC7 sale) and am itching to not burnish my reputation as a cheapskate.

I'm sorry I don't know that bike and battery. My Trek LBS only carries the Verves, AFAIK, so that's what I rode. Anyway, if you won't be able to use the battery on your bike, I would ask them to order a cheaper hub drive bike, with a throttle maybe, and a generic battery. If they aren't ebike riders, they are likely to love any ebike. I did anyway. Even a 70 pound tank of an ebike is pretty wonderful if you haven't ridden one. And you would still have $1000 credit for important stuff.
But your call, your money. I do think casual riders are going to dislike the Vado position and seat on short rides.

Some good points...the bike will sit idle more than I like though friends have been visiting me in the country (Covid). I’d hoped to provide my more ‘normal’ sized friends a healthy dose of what I’ve been riding & raving about.
With an undetermined frequency of use battery health would be easier with a Trek though I’m unsure the 500w battery will operate inside my Allant 9s’ down tube. I recognize the ‘overkill’ aspect but I have a $2200 store credit at the LBS (SC7 sale) and am itching to not burnish my reputation as a cheapskate.
My guess is that the RIB PowerTube batteries should all fit other RIB ebikes. Though I did find that they might need a bit of adjustment.

My visit to the Specialized Warsaw showroom.

For the first time in my life, I had the chance to see all major Specialized e-bikes with my own eyes, and try some of them (but I didn't rent anything because of raining outside).

Impressions:
  • Turbo Como has been the most comfortable e-bike I had a chance to sit on. Ideal for the city and capable for excursions in easy terrain. Upright riding position, comfy saddle, possible not to get off the saddle on stops. The EU Como is very different from the NA version. Riders with short arms are recommended to get the size S for shorter reach.
  • Turbo Vado SL is a dream e-bike for healthy people. Lightweight as the feather. For my inseam of 30", I would need the size S; the top tube is very high in the Vado SL. Comparing capabilities vs price, I would probably go for 4.0 EQ. (Who needs the 12-speed drive-train in the city located in the plains?) 4.0 is far cheaper than 5.0.
I didn't need to try other Specialized e-bikes. I know the regular Vado very well. Not interested in a road e-bike (Creo SL). Not interested in another e-MTB.

I will certainly give the Vado SL a chance, provided a dry, sunny day comes someday :)

My visit to the Specialized Warsaw showroom.

For the first time in my life, I had the chance to see all major Specialized e-bikes with my own eyes, and try some of them (but I didn't rent anything because of raining outside).

Impressions:
  • Turbo Como has been the most comfortable e-bike I had a chance to sit on. Ideal for the city and capable for excursions in easy terrain. Upright riding position, comfy saddle, possible not to get off the saddle on stops. The EU Como is very different from the NA version. Riders with short arms are recommended to get the size S for shorter reach.
  • Turbo Vado SL is a dream e-bike for healthy people. Lightweight as the feather. For my inseam of 30", I would need the size S; the top tube is very high in the Vado SL. Comparing capabilities vs price, I would probably go for 4.0 EQ. (Who needs the 12-speed drive-train in the city located in the plains?) 4.0 is far cheaper than 5.0.
I didn't need to try other Specialized e-bikes. I know the regular Vado very well. Not interested in a road e-bike (Creo SL). Not interested in another e-MTB.

I will certainly give the Vado SL a chance, provided a dry, sunny day comes someday :)
Looks a great shop! And nice to see a Vado SL 5 all new and shiny. My 4.0 is not as shiny now though I spent a couple of hours yesterday getting the weekly accumulated mud off and degreasing the chain. Plus even though I've only done 700KM in the 6 weeks or so since I got it the rear brake pads need replacing. A lot of heavy braking on the hills. Loving the bike more and more. But Stefan be interested to know what you'll make of the weaker motor after your beast of a Vado. It might feel weirdly underpowered. At least it looks fairly flat there so it'll be on windy days you might find it underpowered. I like the relaxed & comfy look of the Como as well, like an old Toyota Landcruiser!. Would like to try one out some day. Maybe on holiday I might find a rental place that has them. If we get to travel again.

@Rás Cnoic,
I decidedly need to try the Vado SL out. I live in the plains, and the daily rental of the e-bike (28 quids) means nothing to me. My friend Anita has to give the Como a try, too! I'd love to ride with her around Warsaw. I only need to convince her spending more on Como 4.0 is worthwhile.

@Rás Cnoic,
I decidedly need to try the Vado SL out. I live in the plains, and the daily rental of the e-bike (28 quids) means nothing to me. My friend Anita has to give the Como a try, too! I'd love to ride with her around Warsaw. I only need to convince her spending more on Como 4.0 is worthwhile.
Winter is a good time to plan for the year ahead. Thinking about what riding we'll all get up to in 2021. For me having never tried an emtb I notice that an mtb trail centre not too far away rents them out so I think over Christmas I might give one a go. I found myself on Thursday exploring a bridlepath on the Vado SL. I love doing this you never know what you'll find. They are always overgrown and here can be rocky and muddy. Well this one turned into muddy single track going uphill after a mile and rather then turn around and go back - mostly uphill anyway, i thought lets see how we get on - lowest gear and Sport mode and it was fantastic fun - the pathfinder 38s were buried in the mud and sjkidding all over the shop but the bike kept going - it was my first inkling what serious fun an emtb could bring!

Back