Specialized Turbo Levo

decooney

Region
USA
Are you enjoying your Turbo Levo? Which model did you purchase? What upgrades [if any] did you make or considering?

Note: in my late-late 50s, ex MX'er, long term single track MC dirt trail rider. I've only had a chance to ride my Levo 4-5 times off-road since i got it. Holidays and rains came, more rain, covid-flu, and missed a few planned rides with friends recovering as well. Really like the bike so far. Look forward to getting back on the saddle again. The only upgrades i've made so far is a second set of handlebars, cut narrower, a little more flex, pedals, wider flat shoes, a few more updated accessories, helmet, pads, eyeglasses - awaiting next ride with friends. This post is meant for open discussion on any Levo and usage, its all good. Happy New Year 2024. Hope you are enjoying yours! 👍

A Levo used to be my dream for a while in the past. I was ready to buy it but that was the direst time of the covid and the supply chain disruption. If I waited for a month (and got the information), I would buy a Levo from the newly opened Specialized Warsaw. However, I wanted a FS e-MTB badly and bought a Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro (not a Levo but pretty close) :)

To my bad surprise, I soon realized I actually did not need an e-MTB. I do not live in even seriously hilly area; I do not ride technical singletrack; and the most difficult terrain I use to ride can be handled by a gravel bike. In my case, it was an expensive mistake of a newbie who did not understand what "mountain biking" was really about. The Trance ended in the best hands (and legs) of my brother, who could not afford an e-bike but dreamed of an e-MTB, and he has put my gift to the good use.

Were I in need of riding an MTB, my choice would be a Levo no doubt! Whatever "experts" do say, the Levo is a reference FS e-MTB!

(Now, waiting for an expert from the Land of Oz to express his criticism) :)

Good to know that you can put the past season behind you and look forward to a new year of some epic rides.

Between road riding in addition to riding singletrack, I still managed to fit in 35 outings with the Levo over the past year including three that took place at a couple of mountain locales so for me it was a relatively solid season of mostly solo trail riding. The Levo never once faltered and provided the power that I needed on some pretty steep and gnarly climbs. My one and only hitch where it held me back on a trail was a steep and rocky hike up to the top of Barrier Lake lookout which required that I carry it. I severely underestimated the hump up so I was forced to walk the remainder of the way and leave the bike behind. Unfortunately, the trailhead for the planned return loop down Jewel Pass was up at the lookout so I was forced to ride back the same way I came. I hope to hit that same trail again this year but this time will try and coax a buddy of mine to come with me so we can reach the top together along with our bikes.

PXL_20231006_183117445.jpg

I'm 67 y/o and have a 2022 Levo Comp Alloy I bought in mid 2023, it was a new hold over that didn't get sold in 2022. I too am an old hare scramble rider, (11 years in the Forward Motion HS series on KTM 300's). I originally bought a Tero 4X (and it's a great general purpose bike) and still have it but got a deal on the Levo so I had to try it. I've only changed the grips on the Levo and installed Tannus tire inserts and that's it.

The bike is a freaking riot on flowing single track. I ride it in Eco about 80% of the time and Trail the other 20%. I virtually never use Turbo. I'm still not 100% sold on the mullet larger front wheel as I find the bike turns slower in real tight switchback turns but it's OK.

A couple years ago I was at the point in life where I was done with hare scramble racing, (I still have my 300 but don't ride it much) and needed to get more exercise and wanted to stay in the woods so I tried the e-bikes and am hooked. E-bikes are a great way to get exercise and still have fun.

Attachments

• 20150426_YWP_FMHS_BS-0257 - Copy.jpg
    20150426_YWP_FMHS_BS-0257 - Copy.jpg
    599.7 KB · Views: 43
@Prairie Dog , @Shooter88 @Stefan Mikes, Thanks for sharing your stories. Three years ago I sold my last dirt 2015 Husquvarna FE501, fully set up for long distance single track days, and still hanging on to my Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z, still thinking I'll get it out and ride with friends on longer adventure rides. The simple fact is they were sitting too much, and needed to get out and ride more. Now the new and fun distraction is something else has my attention even more so, eMTB! 👍

Since making this post, and acquiring my Turbo Levo Comp Carbon, I've been out on 10 good rides with close friends, and a few others I use to do full dirt days with on motorcycles. The truth is, these new generation eMTBs are a game-changer for us, in so many different ways. 1) we don't have to travel as far to find trail systems to go ride on, 2) super easy to load and prep before rides, 3) saves time, we can go do 3-4 hour rides, get back early, and still have half day left to do other things on any given Saturday or Sunday [not retired yet], 4) easier to clean after rides, 5) the gear we put on and take off is simple, less complex to deal with 6) i find it can be just as fun, and just as technical as you want it to be, ...and easier to whip the bike around as we get older, compared to something like a heavier 250/500 dirt motorcycle, 7) admittedly, we are still getting in shape doing it even with power assist, the reward is high in return, 8) maybe its the newness of it all, we just seem more eager to get out and ride these eMTBs, more than I would have ever expected, and for 9,10, the scenery, scenery, is awakening to just get back out there and ride in amazing places.

Selling my last enduro dirt bike motorcycle, seeing the new owner haul it away was like losing one of my arms, was super hard to do, getting older. I still can't seem to allow myself to get rid of my motorcycle dirt gear, and feel like the eMTB will allow me to do it. Now if I can stop myself from wanting to fully tweak out the suspension, old habits die hard I guess. :)

My ONLY regret on spending for one of these expensive eMTBs, is NOT doing it sooner.

@tgianco thanks for the Dirt Daze link. Always wanted to go to one of these, close enough for me. Hope to go check it out, I'd like to go ride some top shelf bikes with really great suspension and compare handling and compliance to my own Spec Turbo Levo Comp Carbon to get some future project ideas. I'm near where the Johnny Cash trail starts btw. Small world. :)

@tgianco thanks for the Dirt Daze link. Always wanted to go to one of these, close enough for me. Hope to go check it out, I'd like to go ride some top shelf bikes with really great suspension and compare handling and compliance to my own Spec Turbo Levo Comp Carbon to get some future project ideas. I'm near where the Johnny Cash trail starts btw. Small world. :)
Nice! I like to use the single-track around Lake Natoma. It's a lot of fun.
Yes, Dirt Daze is a lot of fun. You'll want to get there early, though, as the e-mtn bikes get checked out quickly. You can beat them up for hours, and I know first hand that the mtn bikers around Nevada City have made several new single-track trails that are going to be amazing.

AIR PRESSURE and regular SAG checks for Shock and Forks

Checking with all of you here. I'm questioning the process and maintenance expectations about the stock suspension on this bike.
  • Forks: Fox Rhythm 36
  • Shock: Fox Float-X
Situation:
  • I noticed more of a "harsh" ride on the last two rides.
  • Handling seemed a little off, and less enjoyable ride
  • Nine half day rides on the bike over past 120 days
  • Bike was no longer floating along or balanced front to rear
Findings:
  • Sag was off, not to spec. Shock was worse than forks.
  • Forks were only 4lbs lower than required PSI for weight
  • Shock was 45lbs lower than required PSI for weight
Follow-ups:
  • Originally my dealer vaguely told me I should be okay on air PSI first 3-4 months
  • Another forum stating you lose up to ~20lbs checking the air sometimes, check sag
Instruction, so far:
  • Check "Sag" first before every 1-2 rides, because pressure drops some on checks
  • Check "Air" pressure every 2-3 rides, or according to the loss of air between rides
Other:
I did find a few riders on the Facebook eMTB forum commenting about the Float-X shock, one rider indicating he did have a seal leak in the shock after a few months of riding, his dealer helped him get a replacement shock from Fox without issue. My local dealer is suggesting for now to simply check "sag" before every ride, for a while, and gain a sense of loss. Will try this before next few rides. Also, doing quite a bit of research was surprised to find a few riders who actually prefer Float-X over the Float X2, for how it rides, interesting considering the X2 has more adjustability. This came from a reasonably experienced rider who pushes hard on downhill flow trails with jumps. As for me, I'd probably rather continue to work with this shock and forks for a while to try everything I can first before jumping to conclusions and just replacing both units like some do at times.

ASK:
How about you guys, do you have any other recommendations to consider about fork/shock air regular sag and pressure checks before, during or after rides? Ideas appreciated, I don't mind trying a bunch of different things, I use to geek out on dirt motorcycle suspensions.

I like the bike quite a bit, and simply want to get the suspension adjusted and dialed in properly. Have not been able to re-test lately out on the trail. Watching several different supspension setup videos, there seems to be some sort of "happy medium" about Sag setup in terms of compliance and control. Hoping to find the right adjustment with the Fox 36 Rythym fork and Fox Float X rear shock on this recently new Turbo Levo Comp Carbon.

Fork Upgrade:
2023 Turbo Levo Comp Carbon. Stock forks are probably okay for a 160lb rider, yet I wanted to try more support with a rider weight of 218lb fully kitted up. I rode the Expert model with last years 38mm fork and decided to try the new fork that just came up.

Over 200lbs rider weight?:
Moved from the OEM Fox 36 Rythym 160mm fork to the recently released 2025 Fox 38 Performance Elite 170mm with new Grip X2 damper and bushings. You can barely feel the slight increase and height and change in slack. Feels more relaxed and more compliant.

UPDATE:
Those with a heavier eMTB, and body weight over 200lbs, and wanting extra front end suspension support, its more clear to me now moving from a standard 36 fork to a more rigid and more supportive 38 fork/chassis, seems to be a good way to go.

Handling & Compliance:
With the more robust 38s and overall rider/gear weight, I noticed an immediate difference in terms of rigidity, more suspension control, and no twisting of the fork chassis - at all. The steering changes, it becomes point and shoot in terms of steering. Moving from 160mm to 170mm is not really a 10mm increase with the slack angle doing the math, it's more like a 5mm increase, and not having to run pressure up too high, makes it feel right. Definitely worth investigating more if you are a rider with body weight over 200lbs, fyi.

Last edited:
2025 Fox 38 Premier Elite X2 Fork update -

Rode the Turbo Levo yesterday on varied terrain at 218lb rider weight kitted up.

Confirmed:
Fork Chassis is more rigid, no flex or twist at all.
Damper is more controlled overall, notice fork less I guess.
Mid-stroke harshness seems to have diminished compared to stock fork.
Height at 170 is no issue with handling. Feels more natural, for my body/weight.

Unconfirmed:
Bedding in - not sure if the fork will change a little more in 5 more rides, maybe?
Adjustments may take more time, I opened compression up all the way to let it move more (for now).
Tried at 110lb fork pressure for body weight. May try at 100lbs next time.

On the rough dirt trails and rocks and stuff, it's just a better fork overall fork over stock, no doubt.
For some of the longer paved trail sections getting to dirt trails, not sure what to think quite yet.
Kinda hopeful it will show some other benefits once bedded in a bit more - not quite sure yet.

2025 Fox 38 Premier Elite X2 Fork update -

Rode the Turbo Levo yesterday on varied terrain at 218lb rider weight kitted up.

Confirmed:
Fork Chassis is more rigid, no flex or twist at all.
Damper is more controlled overall, notice fork less I guess.
Mid-stroke harshness seems to have diminished compared to stock fork.
Height at 170 is no issue with handling. Feels more natural, for my body/weight.

Unconfirmed:
Bedding in - not sure if the fork will change a little more in 5 more rides, maybe?
Adjustments may take more time, I opened compression up all the way to let it move more (for now).
Tried at 110lb fork pressure for body weight. May try at 100lbs next time.

On the rough dirt trails and rocks and stuff, it's just a better fork overall fork over stock, no doubt.
For some of the longer paved trail sections getting to dirt trails, not sure what to think quite yet.
Kinda hopeful it will show some other benefits once bedded in a bit more - not quite sure yet.
Good to know that the 38 grip X2 is working out for you. Sounds like the improved damping and larger chassis has made a difference and the new dampers also have a wide adjustment range for ebikes. Also, a little bit of bling certainly doesn’t hurt. There’s also an option for an e-optimized 36 with a more robust chassis which will accommodate riders weighing up to 169kg or 372lbs! o_O

I’ve got my Levo dialed in where I like it and since I’m around 145 lbs out the door the stock 36 Rhythm is good as gumdrops for me. I could upgrade to a grip 2 damper but at almost $500 Cad it’s not currently high on my list.

But perhaps the lightweight Grip SL might be for the most recent down country addition to the fleet.

PXL_20240525_184423011.jpg

PXL_20240525_184644141.jpg

@Prairie Dog that's pretty sweet. I went through the whole stock damper upgrade review and decision myself, even looked very hard at the aftermarket "smash pot" which some seem to like quite a bit. Agree at 145lb (lucky you) should be fine with the 36 Rythym. It's the mid stroke I was dealing with at the higher rider weight and the twisty chassis is where I had to make the move, as understood. Also from all the research I did the e-optimized 36 could be a better investment (yet) i'd make sure it has the new design Grip X or Grip X2 damper in it. Its quite a bit different from the last gen and they leaned on the motorcycle part of Fox to achieve the all new (shim stack type 4 to 23 in the X2) damper design which is noted as being responsible for some of the benefits people really like in the new gen forks, including a new bushing design with less stiction as I understand it now too. Please report back if you decide to fork up to the new design, may be worth it if you go that direction. BTW: adjusting the new X2 H/L compression damper (on the trail) is easy to do with gloves on, not a problem at all for me.

goegoe
Good to know that the 38 grip X2 is working out for you. Sounds like the improved damping and larger chassis has made a difference and the new dampers also have a wide adjustment range for ebikes. Also, a little bit of bling certainly doesn’t hurt. There’s also an option for an e-optimized 36 with a more robust chassis which will accommodate riders weighing up to 169kg or 372lbs! o_O

I’ve got my Levo dialed in where I like it and since I’m around 145 lbs out the door the stock 36 Rhythm is good as gumdrops for me. I could upgrade to a grip 2 damper but at almost $500 Cad it’s not currently high on my list.

But perhaps the lightweight Grip SL might be for the most recent down country addition to the fleet.

View attachment 176605
View attachment 176606
gorgeous epic! is that the satin blue?

goegoe

gorgeous epic! is that the satin blue?
Yep. Not spec’d quite to the same level as the Pro but sports the same Fact 11 frame and I can do without the carbon hoops. It tips the scale at just over 12 kg (27lbs). The only major upgrade will be to the drivetrain.

One touch that I do appreciate was the move to SWAT internal storage which wasn’t present on the previous model though it would have been nice to see the multi tool integrated into the steerer tube rather than at the base of the water bottle cage. Picky, picky...I know.

PXL_20240525_184727402.jpg

Yep. Not spec’d quite to the same level as the Pro but sports the same Fact 11 frame and I can do without the carbon hoops. It tips the scale at just over 12 kg (27lbs). The only major upgrade will be to the drivetrain.

One touch that I do appreciate was the move to SWAT internal storage which wasn’t present on the previous model though it would have been nice to see the multi tool integrated into the steerer tube rather than at the base of the water bottle cage. Picky, picky...I know.

View attachment 176685
Nice! Looks super fun to ride. The down tube storage seems better integrated / a better shapes than the diverge version was.

@decooney - Have you, or for that matter, anyone else here tried or considered Magpeds? Seems like they fall somewhere in between a traditional clipless and flat set up and the company offers a pedal for almost every discipline. Might be something to consider if, like me, you’re hesitant on going full clipless. I’m aware of a few EMTB Forum members who swear by them. That being said, it’s also a good excuse to shop for a new pair of shoes. ;)

@decooney - Have you, or for that matter, anyone else here tried or considered Magpeds? Seems like they fall somewhere in between a traditional clipless and flat set up and the company offers a pedal for almost every discipline. Might be something to consider if, like me, you’re hesitant on going full clipless. I’m aware of a few EMTB Forum members who swear by them. That being said, it’s also a good excuse to shop for a new pair of shoes. ;)

If you give them a go,, can you pm me your thoughts after a while? I can't use clip ins ( nasty foot injury).

Back