Specialized Turbo Levo

Highly integrated design.
Excellent specs and it should rival top of the line Haibikes/ Lapierre et al.,

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Last edited:
Some more information and a few nice close up pictures of the 8 models in the Levo line. A very clean look!

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/prod...-expands-its-turbo-e-bike-family-trail-models

specialized_pedal_assist_launch_stills_29.jpeg

Nice bike and they say it puts out quite a bit more power than a Bosch (530w 90Nm Max) even if it's only supposed to be a nominal 250W motor. A pity they don't have an even more powerful version. ;D

Did you read the comments on woods video? Luddites. lol

Oh, and I don't get that you need a tool to unscrew a bolt to get the battery off the bike - that's a bad design decision.

Last edited:
A pity they don't have an even more powerful version. ;D

Did you read the comments on woods video? Luddites. lol

When the 'Luddites' look through the forums they see lots of comments about more power or my add-on motor can get me up to 35mph with a throttle so what are they supposed to think? We can be our own worst advocates. I think these new bikes appear to be a good compromise.

When the 'Luddites' look through the forums they see lots of comments about more power or my add-on motor can get me up to 35mph with a throttle so what are they supposed to think? We can be our own worst advocates. I think these new bikes appear to be a good compromise.
That's why there should be (and are) different classifications of ebikes - some allowed some places, others not, though to be realistic, even my 750w motor wouldn't damage a trail any more than an unpowered bike.

And anyway, the ignorant haters will hate no matter how low the power assistance.

Really a beautiful bike. Can't wait to see the whole lineup. Really like the integrated battery - so much cleaner than the Bosch system.

I think they made a good choice to limit the assist considering the intended usage. They look like really nice integrated solution. Most people probably would not notice the motor. I was riding on our state park converted railways, when some mountain bikers came out of a side mtb trail. I would be hard pressed to tell the difference between their full suspension bikes and the Levos without a careful look. At a glance I wouldn't see it which I view as a plus.
The bike I really liked in Court's tour of Specialized's offices was the Diverge Carbon. I will have to consider the new Turbo battery if it's really compatible with the older Turbo S.

Specialized just added one of the Turbo Levo bikes to their website. It is the FSR Expert 6Fattie. The price is $7,500 and will be available May 2016.

There are suppose to be many more versions including hardtail and women's versions. Can't wait to see the rest of them.

One more comment about the new Levo.

I took my Haibike out yesterday on the trails around my house. There is a lot of up and down with little flat riding. Of course, I really had fun. The whole ride I am shifting gears and constantly using my left thumb to change assist levels.

So how will this work on the Levo? During the intense parts of my ride, which on these trails is quite a bit, I can't imagine taking my hand off the handlebar to change levels on the down tube. Even with their interface, I again can't imagine taking my hand off the handlebar to look at my iPhone and change levels.

On the Levo, I don't think it needs a display necessarily, but the ability to control assist levels without taking my hands off the handlebar is important to me.

What do others think?

p.s. I so want to love this bike due to the integrated battery.

I agree 100%. This UI is total crap.
Will need the full Specs marketing power to explain, that this is not a stupid idea but a feature.

I missed this thread as it was 2 pages back in the Specialized forum. But the new electric fullsuspension bikes have their specs out now. The webpage used to say may 2016, but now it just says find a dealer. Under "Bikes" look up "Turbo". I failed to find them under the usual places like "Mountain bikes" category. https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/turbo 3 levles of bike from $9,500.00 to $5,500.00 available for sale now, I think.

Great point from MLWilcox above - Im really keen to know whether or how the lack of thumb control impacts riding.

Guys from a local dealer who went on an organized day out by Specialzed recently seem overall very impressed but I didn't get the chance to ask/grill them on that point specifically. Of courselves it was a 'sponsored' event but they were genuinely stoked by the smoothness and delivery of power from the Brose motor over anything else they'd ever ridden.

I'm on the fence with the UI argument. I find it intriguing that Specialized took this route. Is it ballsy or are they confident it's the future? Certainly something they won't go back on so I guess they are. I'd love to know the commercial decisions that really drove this commitment. Anybody read anything free of marketing line towing that puts it out there?

I can see how the use of a mobile and the additional functionality and integration it offers makes sense and could be attractive, but I can't help feeling that something's missing. I like things simple and built for purpose that do a job and do it well.

The bosch and yammy displays/UI and controls are attractive and work well, which in turn makes for a rewarding ride. Is the absence of the thumb control and display a setback or is there enough advantage in what Brose and the Levo as a complete package offer to offset any downside?

I'm not sure I want my smartphone (which I cant see in bright sunshine anyway) up on my bars offering additional distractions with its clunky (when my hands are gloved) touchscreen. I've always enjoyed toggling through various modes on any ebike I've ridden. That level of control is part of the fun.

Thoughts?

I rode this bike last summer at a Specialized dealer event and it's pretty sharp. Regarding the controller I believe there will be an optional thumb control that can be added if you'd like.

I've owned the Turbo Levo for 6 weeks now and it is FANTASTIC! really smooth power delivery compared to Haibikes which I test rode. Integrated design is really well thought out. Generally find the Eco mode (set point is 30% of motor output but adjustable down to 10%) is enough of an assist and still gives you a workout. For tough climbs, easy to reach down without looking and increase the power (50%) and then it's like an invisible giant hand pushing you up the trail. Full power mode (80%) is too much, never use it.

Makes previously daunting / never-ending fireroad climbs a breeze. Generally find I'm riding more frequently and much longer routes.

On the downhills it is well planted and rides over the big stuff, but it heavy and sometimes tricky on the hairpins.

It's actually not too bad to ride without power but pretty heavy when you run out of juice on bigger hills!

The app is pretty good, can customize the 3 power settings (I use 15%, 30%, 60%). Has GPS/route guides and downloadable offline maps but still trying to work out how to import Strava routes. Also drains the iphone battery in about 90 mins so need top up power for the phone (from a separate battery, not the bike battery)

Go out and try one, it will put a HUGE smile on your face!

Back