Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

The Domane + is fabulous. You might be surprised how well it handles. I don't find the weight troubling, and that is after years of riding a 17 lb Specialized S-Works carbon Roubaix. My only complaint is the drag of the gearing at low speed when the motor is off. Once up to speed that is not an issue, and I usually turn if off on flat ground, but it does make it hard to climb significant grades at lower speed with the motor off. For anything at more than 6-8% it doesn't matter to me as I have the motor on (otherwise I would be on my Roubaix), but lesser grades are a chore. But by using a Nyon I have custom modes that can add just enough assistance to neutralize the gearing resistance on lower grades. I think that is critical, and I would never buy a road e-bike (and this is my second; I had a Haibike Race S 6.0 for 1 1/2 years) without the ability to customize the assistance levels. The standard levels with Bosch motors are too high for most fit road bikers.

One of the things I like about the Creo specs is assistance up to 28 mph. I read many road bikers saying they don't need assistance at speeds greater than 20 mph, that they can ride at those speeds without assistance. I would respectfully submit that most of those folks have not ridden a bike like the Domane +. Yes I don't "need" assistance then either--I can ride even the 38 lb Domane + with the motor off at speeds in the low to mid 20's mph range on flat roads and frequently do. But the fact is it is just dang fun to ride at 28-30 mph using assist, either to move with traffic coming back from my ride through urban areas or as today when coming back on the windy roads after climbing Mt. Tam north of San Francisco. It's also great in the strong headwinds that can be common here especially along the coast. In my view once one has experienced that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of the bike weight.

Q-Does the Domane + takes a bigger front ring to get a faster top end speed ?
I have a 28pmh commuter and after swapping the 48t for 54T it does 33-34mph top speed.
If Domane can get to 30-32 that’s amazing.

A few thoughts after riding a Creo this weekend.

This is the closest bike to my ideal as envisioned shortly after starting in ebikes 13 years ago.

Just enough power to feel like a "magic bike" but you are definitely supplying as much energy as the motor with your legs.

The front shock is nicely hidden in the headtube and can be tuned by dialing a knob at the top.

Di2 was nice, still wished I could try this bike with a belt drive and a Rohloff, which I have never ridden but would like to try.

There is a very slight sound from the motor which I actually liked. I only heard it when it was quiet around me and it had a slight "whirr." I'm normally a fan of silent propulsion, but this is very close to silent, just a polite reminder that the bike is an active partner in the ride.

This is a connoisseur's ebike, for now it also requires a connoisseur's budget, but that will change.

The Founder's edition is beautiful in blue and gold.

I should mention that it is very light and agile, and that the motor dovetails perfectly with your effort.

I can't wait until Specialized introduce a mountain bike with this Mahle motor and battery in the down tube.

Last edited:
The “Founders “ edition, all 250 of them , was sold out weeks ago. Was looking at their website at that time. That’s surprising for a 19k price tag.

Wow, I am surprised the founders edition sold out. But having said that, if I had big money I probably wouldn't care about the price and would just buy one, so in a way I do understand.

I am looking forward to the aluminum version. I think this is the lightweight ebike I have been waiting for. I'm eager to get a test ride on one when the aluminum models start rolling into showrooms. The bike is expensive but my understanding is that there will be an aluminum version for $6k Cdn. - more than I want to pay, but there's a good possibility I will buy one.

My main concern is the semi permanent battery. My garage is not temp controlled so, not being able to easily remove the battery to take indoors would likely drastically reduce its lifespan.

My main concern is the semi permanent battery. My garage is not temp controlled so, not being able to easily remove the battery to take indoors would likely drastically reduce its lifespan.

That's understandable.

OTOH, the idea of a battery which is highly immune to rain and water intrusion while riding is the other side of that coin. At least it is light enough to easily carry inside for those who wish to. Likewise, if the battery only needs to be removed and installed once per year to protect it from the worst of winter temperatures, the effort might be worthwhile.

That's understandable.

OTOH, the idea of a battery which is highly immune to rain and water intrusion while riding is the other side of that coin. At least it is light enough to easily carry inside for those who wish to. Likewise, if the battery only needs to be removed and installed once per year to protect it from the worst of winter temperatures, the effort might be worthwhile.
Agree but am also thinking summer temps can get pretty toasty in the garage. I take all my batteries indoors after each ride so they stay in a controlled environment.

There was a 13k version hanging from the ceiling of an eBike Store I was in yesterday and I turned the cranks and felt more restistance there than I would have expected. The salesman kept grabbing at it and I wondered what was going on and that is when he told me it was a 13k bike but then he directed me to a lesser version close by on the floor and obviously had been ridden. I did the same test and felt less resistance but enough so that it was quite noticeable.

On the other hand my son's neighbor had bought a Vado from the same shop that he uses to go to a gig he has had for 23yrs. and wanted to spice it up a bit and came to the conclusion he needed more outside time. He has a satisfactory pannier setup to carry his guitar in a travel bag on one side and a regular pannier on the other to carry his mic's and cords. A front mount pack to carry the essentials and he is as happy as a clam at high tide. He claimed he could even make it to the gig 10 minutes faster than in his car. 0% financing with a year to pay it off via his gig proceeds and it should do him service for a long time.

It will be interesting to see if he rides when it is raining sideways when he needs to go......

We're finally seeing a cheaper version of the Creo in Canada. It has the same carbon frame, but with downgraded components and aluminum wheels. $2000.00 less puts it in a price range that I would be willing to pay.

for $2000 less you loose CF wheels AND electronic shifting. That seems like it should be a MUCH lower price.
The US version is 9,000 for the Expert and $6,500 for the Comp - $2,500 US$ difference.
The Comp is defiantly a bad value for money here in Canada. I would have jumped at the Comp version if it had Di2.

In Canada the Expert EVO (I want the gravel bike version) is $10,200 and the Comp Carbon EV0 is $8,200.
Carbon wheels and Di2 for $2000 seems to be a fair deal (I have Di2 on my Defy Advanced Pro 0 and love it), but I just can't see myself spending over 10 grand for a bike.
I could live with the mechanical shifter and could always upgrade to carbon wheels at a later date.

I would be happy living without the carbon wheels but cheap carbon wheels from specialized tend to be worth about 1,500. I paid 2,000 for my last set on my Roubaix.
On the trek forum, a guy just upgraded his bike from std to Di2 and that cost him about $2,000 just for the Di2 upgrade.
It's a tough call. I am having LOTS of issues justifying 10k for a bike.
Unfortunalty, I had to sell a std shifting road bike to go Di2 due to carpel tunnel issues in my hand so going back to std shifters is not an option for me.
If I didn't have to go Di2, I think I would go with the Aluminum version and save more.
Decisions, decisions ...

I'm back to riding my winter bike (Specialized Diverge with 105 group set). Even though the 105s have never given me any trouble I really miss my Di2 setup on my Defy.

All the 6.5k aluminum Creos are sold out. Same with the Premium 19.000$ ones-those were only 250of them.
For the higher end ones It doesn’t say If they’re sold out or not, it says to go to a dealer.

The 6,500 US$ versions are Carbon comp and those along with the aluminum model, I don't think they have even been released yet. Anything that says sold out probably relates to the fact that it doesn't exist yet.

Back