Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

If you compare to the Roubaix line, the Comp will be without carbon wheels.
For me the big factor would be if the Comp comes with Di2.
After having Di2 on my Roubaix, I can't see going back to the old mechanical version.

[QUOTE="Scott Adams, post: 206199, member: 10315"

Glad the Creo continues to provide power up to 28mph.[/QUOTE]

I've been riding an eRoad bike for a few years and it is my opinion based on the 5k or more miles I have ridden that it takes at least 500w to maintain 28mph on level ground with no wind in either direction. Plus you also have to have a big enough gear to be able to get there. Looks like at least a 48t on the Cleo which with an 11t is about a 118" gear which you will be spinning out on at that speed. Also you will be eating wh's and these manufacturers versions have pretty small batteries.

Forget going 28mph up any type of grade, that takes twice as much power. Even with 1000w it is hard to maintain 20mph up a decent grade and at the same time it is eating wh's like popcorn. But if I run my bike strictly at 250w I still get a decent ride speed at more than I can maintain on my own and range goes way up as I can stay under 10wh's per mile. But my road bike weighs 45lbs. with a 780w battery. It handles just fine and I see no reason to have it weigh less but I don't ride alot without the power on except for in town and on downhills.

eRoad bikes are a completely different machine than eMTB's or more utilitarian models. The use of drop bars and road positioning won't be for everybody. I would get the gravel model as my bikes are set up like that and it is nice to be able to go both pavement and gravel, with even some trails, on the higher volume tires run at a lower psi. Negates the need for suspension for my needs. But I could build 3 like mine for the price of one cheapest Cleo so I won't be considered their target customer.

I didn't know carbon wheels make that much of a difference.

Will be looking forward to spring 2020 when I test ride these bikes and choose a winner. At least I know the Creo and Synapse are available in Canada. Don't know if the Gain or Domane+ will be offered in my country. LBS carries the BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Road 1, but I'd be wanting the 2. Though I suppose they could get it, but I want to ride the bike to see what it's like before I spend that much. Will be interesting to see what Giant offers and I like the price point of the Yamaha bikes.

[QUOTE="Scott Adams, post: 206199, member: 10315"

Glad the Creo continues to provide power up to 28mph.

I've been riding an eRoad bike for a few years and it is my opinion based on the 5k or more miles I have ridden that it takes at least 500w to maintain 28mph on level ground with no wind in either direction. Plus you also have to have a big enough gear to be able to get there. Looks like at least a 48t on the Cleo which with an 11t is about a 118" gear which you will be spinning out on at that speed. Also you will be eating wh's and these manufacturers versions have pretty small batteries.

Forget going 28mph up any type of grade, that takes twice as much power. Even with 1000w it is hard to maintain 20mph up a decent grade and at the same time it is eating wh's like popcorn. But if I run my bike strictly at 250w I still get a decent ride speed at more than I can maintain on my own and range goes way up as I can stay under 10wh's per mile. But my road bike weighs 45lbs. with a 780w battery. It handles just fine and I see no reason to have it weigh less but I don't ride alot without the power on except for in town and on downhills.

eRoad bikes are a completely different machine than eMTB's or more utilitarian models. The use of drop bars and road positioning won't be for everybody. I would get the gravel model as my bikes are set up like that and it is nice to be able to go both pavement and gravel, with even some trails, on the higher volume tires run at a lower psi. Negates the need for suspension for my needs. But I could build 3 like mine for the price of one cheapest Cleo so I won't be considered their target customer.[/QUOTE]
Is your set up a custom one you put together yourself?

"Is your set up a custom one you put together yourself?"

Yes, when I put it together that I would rather ride an eBike over my KTM on the road I built up my first one and at that time there were no models available. I had decided via riding mid drives with PAS that they didn't provide me with the autonomy to pedal at my desired cadence all the time so I used a front hub motor, also for the front wheel drive which has always intrigued me after building an eMTB back in 2003 using one. I just use a throttle that has cruise control that I can regulate the watt limit in increments of 250w up to 1000w, which is legal where I reside btw. I use Schlumpf drives so that I get a good high gear ratio but I only used my speed drive on the first bike which does run out of push at around 28mph also as it only is the equivalent of a 45t/11.

I built another using a different front hub motor that has a built in torque arm and the ability to be removed without tools. It also is a 1000w motor and I used my High Speed Drive on it so it has a really high gear, the equivalent of a 60t/11 and I can pedal along with good watt input at 28mph with that. I am in the process of deconstructing that bike and building up a different frame that I am testing for a friend that features yet another new wheel size....

IMG_4890.JPG

If you compare to the Roubaix line, the Comp will be without carbon wheels.
For me the big factor would be if the Comp comes with Di2.
After having Di2 on my Roubaix, I can't see going back to the old mechanical version.
Fairly sure the Comp would do away with Di2. Electronic shifting adds a lot of cost and the Comp will be about hitting some more budget-friendly numbers. I imagine it will be mechanical 105 with an SLX-11 rear (M7000).
Don't forget how product marketing works. The price difference will be such that it's 'only' $2500 up to the Expert, and you get carbon wheels, a better grade of carbon frame, AND Di2... come on, you know you want to...it's so much better value....

Fairly sure the Comp would do away with Di2. Electronic shifting adds a lot of cost and the Comp will be about hitting some more budget-friendly numbers. I imagine it will be mechanical 105 with an SLX-11 rear (M7000).
Don't forget how product marketing works. The price difference will be such that it's 'only' $2500 up to the Expert, and you get carbon wheels, a better grade of carbon frame, AND Di2... come on, you know you want to...it's so much better value....

and here I was thinking I would target the Comp, now you're just making me want the Expert - you must be in marketing :):)

Leaked details from this site: https://translate.google.com/transl...6-specialized-turbo-creo-comp-e5/&prev=search

Specifications Specialized Turbo Creo SL COMP E5:
  • Set: Specialized E5 Aluminum
  • Gear: 1x11 Speed
  • Future Shock 1.5
  • Brakes: Shimano GRX810 hydraulic Disc.
  • Rear derailleur Shimano RX812 GX 11 speed
  • 11-42t cassette 11 speed.
  • Wheel DTR470 Disc
  • Tires: Turbo Pro 28mm
  • Crankset: Praxis M30 46T 110ø
  • Saddle: Specialized Power
  • Saddle stick: S-Works FACT Carbon
  • Engine: Specialized SL 1.1
  • Battery: Specialized SL1-320 320Wh 48V.

Still waiting for my dealer to get one in... with the carbon wheels and compared to other e-road bikes this is starting to seem like a reasonable price $9k...
I just don’t see much available in class 3. I would like to try a class 3 Fazua but no idea if anyone will have one.
I am starting to wish I owned a bike company. I would tell folks what is coming and when, with meaningful details!

Up to 28 mph means you can readily cruise at 26 mph in reality.

Riding at 26 mph only eats 240 battery watts (using my height and weight and using the drops) according to Kreuzotter.de - 390 watts total minus 150 watts from the rider. Factor in some inefficiencies and I could still cruise for about an hour at that speed with the Creo's 320 Wh battery, longer with the extra battery.

The chainring can be upgraded for faster riders, I did this on a Levo with a BadAss box.

Am I off or is that battery size a complete deal breaker? My Turbo X (hub drive) has a 691 Wh battery (over 2x the size of this one) and realistic range at Eco60 (60% assist) is roughly 30 miles (cruising at 26-27 mph and pedaling hard).

You would be hard pressed to get 20 miles out of this bike at 26 mph (unless it is somehow drastically more efficient).

To me, the battery size is just right.
My Turbo Vado has 420 Wh and on eco (30% assist) I get well over 90klm with no problem.
My average speed is about 22kl/h.
If you want to go at TDF speeds and are not a TDF rider, this is probably not the bike for you.
It's designed to give a LITTLE assist. Not be a commuter powerhouse.
Perfect battery size and assist capabilities for my tastes.

I am hoping that these get commercialized for electric bikes soon. If this is true and they can increase energy density by 280% then just think you could get a battery in the Creo that would be around 900 watt hours, that would be amazing. If you used say 10 watt hours/mile you're getting a 90 mile range!

Specs on the Comp version from: http://www.jensencykler.com/shop/171-specialized-elcykel/10965-specialized-turbo-creo-comp-evo/

Specifikationer Specialized Turbo Creo SL COMP CARBON:
  • Stel: Carbon FACT 11r
  • Future Shock 1.5
  • Bremser: Shimano GRX810 hydraulisk Disc.
  • Bagskifter Shimano RX812 GX 11 speed
  • Hjul DTR470 Disc
  • Dæk: Pathfinder 38mm
  • Kranksæt: Praxis M30 46T 110ø
  • Sadel: Specialized Power
  • Sadelpind: Dropper Post 50mm
  • Motor: Specialized SL 1.1
  • Batteri: Specialized SL1-320 320Wh 48V.

Specs on the Comp version from: http://www.jensencykler.com/shop/171-specialized-elcykel/10965-specialized-turbo-creo-comp-evo/

Specifikationer Specialized Turbo Creo SL COMP CARBON:
  • Stel: Carbon FACT 11r
  • Future Shock 1.5
  • Bremser: Shimano GRX810 hydraulisk Disc.
  • Bagskifter Shimano RX812 GX 11 speed
  • Hjul DTR470 Disc
  • Dæk: Pathfinder 38mm
  • Kranksæt: Praxis M30 46T 110ø
  • Sadel: Specialized Power
  • Sadelpind: Dropper Post 50mm
  • Motor: Specialized SL 1.1
  • Batteri: Specialized SL1-320 320Wh 48V.
Looks like they’re guessing a bit at that site.
The specs seem to differ from what I read on Specialized’s US site. Could be be the Creo SL Expert Evo . There is no Comp on Specialized’s website.

And I would be very surprised if they will sell us an Expert EVO for DKK 48,000:-. It’s listed at US $9,000 and just looking at the exchange rate that would be about 60,000 in Danish Kronor.

Last edited:
I think you missed the point of the post. The details of the Creo comp are not on the US site or most others. The details have not been officially released by specialized regarding the Comp and the Aluminum E5 models.

Reactions: PaD
Back