Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I think you missed the point of the post. The details of the Creo comp are not on the US site or most others. The details have not been officially released by specialized regarding the Comp and the Aluminum E5 models.
I sure missed the point :)
Thanx.
Now I’d better get some sleep.

After my stupid comment about Danish ad for Creo Comp I’m still brave enough to ask if anyone would dare to estimated the weight of the Comp EVO.

(there is a painkiller in Sweden called Treo Comp :) )

Probably similar difference between the standard and evo versions as the Expert/Comp.
I expect the shifters and other parts on the comp won't be much heavier than the Expert so the only real difference would be the wheels
Between standard and comp the difference would mainly be the dropper post which is 410g - not sure what the road seat post would weigh.

Reactions: PaD
Great review.

This is the only road ebike I would consider to be honest. They hit everything right (except price ).
Just saw the TREK Domane+ e-road bike and though I'm a Specialized fan, the Domaine+ seems to have the Creo beat: integrated lights, bigger motor, bigger battery.

Just saw the TREK Domane+ e-road bike and though I'm a Specialized fan, the Domaine+ seems to have the Creo beat: integrated lights, bigger motor, bigger battery.
Maybe, but that bike is a lot heavier, probably doesn't handle as well because of that, and the motor has a lot of drag if you have to pedal it unpowered. I guess it depends on how much power you really need. On my Orbea Gain, range, not power, is the issue for me, and the Creo is similar to it.

Specs look more like the Creo Comp. Not electronic shifting and no carbon wheel set.
So the price is similar for the Specialized Carbon Comp compared to the Domane.
As MikeDee stated, it's a preference. I would not say one is better than the other. Just different.

Maybe, but that bike is a lot heavier, probably doesn't handle as well because of that, and the motor has a lot of drag if you have to pedal it unpowered. I guess it depends on how much power you really need. On my Orbea Gain, range, not power, is the issue for me, and the Creo is similar to it.
Thanks. I have two 2015 basic Turbos and they have a bigger motor and battery (also a LOT heavier) and i wonder how the Creo (hopefully an aluminum model) will handle all my hills.

Yes, I'm anxious to find that out as well. I have a Vado 3.
I'm hoping the power will be enough.
I expect the Creo will not have the low RPM torque but when peddling at 80 RPM, I hope the power is similar.
They both are supposed to deliver similar power at a higher RPM. 250 watts for the Vado and 240 for the Creo.
I think the difference will be the Creo requires YOU to provide 240 watts in order to get the full motor power. Not sure if I interpret the specs correctly. Maybe you only need to deliver 120 watts to get full power.
Either way, it's a long way from just turning over the peddles in full turbo mode on the Vado.

Reactions: MRE

I don't see how bigger motor is a plus , it is heavier and bulky on top of that without support there is some resistance when pedalling. Creo has a modified ligth motor which doesn't have any resistance.

The battery may have less capacity but thanks to it the bike is lighter and it is integrated very well to the frame.

No Domane is not better or different, it is simply Trek not bothering with designing the electrical components and slapping the last gen bosch system (motor +500wh battery) to the frame. The frame is beautiful though (except the bulky motor).

I remember reading trek switching to something like Fauza which should make the new Domane a nice, ;ight road bike as it should be.

Specs look more like the Creo Comp. Not electronic shifting and no carbon wheel set.
So the price is similar for the Specialized Carbon Comp compared to the Domane.
As MikeDee stated, it's a preference. I would not say one is better than the other. Just different.
Thanks. I have two 2015 basic Turbos and they have a bigger motor and battery (also a LOT heavier) and i wonder how the Creo (hopefully an aluminum model) will handle all my hills.
I don't see how bigger motor is a plus , it is heavier and bulky on top of that without support there is some resistance when pedalling. Creo has a modified ligth motor which doesn't have any resistance.

The battery may have less capacity but thanks to it the bike is lighter and it is integrated very well to the frame.

No Domane is not better or different, it is simply Trek not bothering with designing the electrical components and slapping the last gen bosch system (motor +500wh battery) to the frame. The frame is beautiful though (except the bulky motor).

I remember reading trek switching to something like Fauza which should make the new Domane a nice, ;ight road bike as it should be.
I guess I'll have to try the Creo if it comes out in a less expensive model. The motor has been my concern due to my age and the hills where I live.

Just curious if you have ridden the Domane+ Johnny?

I'm interested in seeing how this plays out. There is a lot of interest in light weight road bikes with a small amount of "electric assist" as compared to the normal electric bike with a powerful motor, huge battery and heavy weight that are normally what forum members use and are reviewed and talked about. I'm expecting the Creo to be like the Orbea Gain in that when they talk range they are expecting the rider to normally just use pedal power with the motor being used only in exceptional moments like when climbing a steep hill or facing a lot of wind. They're very different types of bikes and they both have a place, but it's important for people to know that if they buy one of these assist bikes they're trading huge amounts of power and electric range for the nimbleness and handling of a lighter bike. Micah Toll just recenty reviewed the Bianchi light weight bike and it was interesting reading his thoughts on this type of bike when he normally uses more traditional type ebikes. It's a great read.

Just curious if you have ridden the Domane+ Johnny?
I wanted to but my local Trek dealer is only letting you take their emtbs for a ride so I could only look at the fit and finish. The build quality seemed very good though, I like Trek's carbon frames.

I wanted to but my local Trek dealer is only letting you take their emtbs for a ride so I could only look at the fit and finish. The build quality seemed very good though, I like Trek's carbon frames.

The Domane + is fabulous. You might be surprised how well it handles. I don't find the weight troubling, and that is after years of riding a 17 lb Specialized S-Works carbon Roubaix. My only complaint is the drag of the gearing at low speed when the motor is off. Once up to speed that is not an issue, and I usually turn if off on flat ground, but it does make it hard to climb significant grades at lower speed with the motor off. For anything at more than 6-8% it doesn't matter to me as I have the motor on (otherwise I would be on my Roubaix), but lesser grades are a chore. But by using a Nyon I have custom modes that can add just enough assistance to neutralize the gearing resistance on lower grades. I think that is critical, and I would never buy a road e-bike (and this is my second; I had a Haibike Race S 6.0 for 1 1/2 years) without the ability to customize the assistance levels. The standard levels with Bosch motors are too high for most fit road bikers.

One of the things I like about the Creo specs is assistance up to 28 mph. I read many road bikers saying they don't need assistance at speeds greater than 20 mph, that they can ride at those speeds without assistance. I would respectfully submit that most of those folks have not ridden a bike like the Domane +. Yes I don't "need" assistance then either--I can ride even the 38 lb Domane + with the motor off at speeds in the low to mid 20's mph range on flat roads and frequently do. But the fact is it is just dang fun to ride at 28-30 mph using assist, either to move with traffic coming back from my ride through urban areas or as today when coming back on the windy roads after climbing Mt. Tam north of San Francisco. It's also great in the strong headwinds that can be common here especially along the coast. In my view once one has experienced that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of the bike weight.

The Domane + is fabulous. You might be surprised how well it handles. I don't find the weight troubling, and that is after years of riding a 17 lb Specialized S-Works carbon Roubaix. My only complaint is the drag of the gearing at low speed when the motor is off. Once up to speed that is not an issue, and I usually turn if off on flat ground, but it does make it hard to climb significant grades at lower speed with the motor off. For anything at more than 6-8% it doesn't matter to me as I have the motor on (otherwise I would be on my Roubaix), but lesser grades are a chore. But by using a Nyon I have custom modes that can add just enough assistance to neutralize the gearing resistance on lower grades. I think that is critical, and I would never buy a road e-bike (and this is my second; I had a Haibike Race S 6.0 for 1 1/2 years) without the ability to customize the assistance levels. The standard levels with Bosch motors are too high for most fit road bikers.

One of the things I like about the Creo specs is assistance up to 28 mph. I read many road bikers saying they don't need assistance at speeds greater than 20 mph, that they can ride at those speeds without assistance. I would respectfully submit that most of those folks have not ridden a bike like the Domane +. Yes I don't "need" assistance then either--I can ride even the 38 lb Domane + with the motor off at speeds in the low to mid 20's mph range on flat roads and frequently do. But the fact is it is just dang fun to ride at 28-30 mph using assist, either to move with traffic coming back from my ride through urban areas or as today when coming back on the windy roads after climbing Mt. Tam north of San Francisco. It's also great in the strong headwinds that can be common here especially along the coast. In my view once one has experienced that the benefits outweigh the disadvantages of the bike weight.

What is the range of the Domane + (under power all the whole time)?

Can’t really say—I never use power all the time and when I do I use custom levels generally lower than the standard ones. But to give you an idea my ride yesterday was about 32 miles with 3400 feet of climbing and used 48% of the battery.

How many watt hours is the battery in the Domane+? IIRC there's no provision for an external battery is there? Using half the battery for 3,400 ft. of climbing and 32 miles sounds pretty good.

It's a Bosch Powertube 500 Wh battery. No provision for external battery. Yes those numbers are perfectly good for me, but don't be deceived by them--if I was riding with standard assist levels on fulltime they would be much, much lower. No different from any Bosch-powered bike.

The elephant in the room here is how much this bike is a step up from the Ebikemotion bikes in the US, while not much of a change in countries with the 15.9 limit. To get this bike with a 28 mph assist is kind of like buying a bit of a hot rod! Not sure I would pay the steep up charge in EU but here in the states, well let’s just say I am very anxious to give it a try! The other side of the coin is that the US Ebikemotion powered bikes such as Orbea would be a real option if they assisted to 28 mph. Yes it will very rarely be utilized but it is nice to have the option.

The only issue I have with Orbea, is that the front forks on all but their $10K model are QR!!! I had a bad experience a few yeas ago with a VERY expensive bike in the infancy of disk road bikes and would never touch a QR disk again. You can't order the top bike's fork and do a swap as it is tapered and the others are straight - not compatible. A shame, really. All other manufacturers using Ebikemotion use thru axle forks.

The only issue I have with Orbea, is that the front forks on all but their $10K model are QR!!! I had a bad experience a few yeas ago with a VERY expensive bike in the infancy of disk road bikes and would never touch a QR disk again. You can't order the top bike's fork and do a swap as it is tapered and the others are straight - not compatible. A shame, really. All other manufacturers using Ebikemotion use thru axle forks.
That's incorrect. My M30 has a thru axle fork.

Back