Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I did the same last year having always road mountain bikes, fitted a shorter, steeper angled stem, problem solved.

Thank you, Vamos, MSchwett, and Amoto65. I just sent an email to my LBS with pictures of RMK and MSchwett angled stem photos. I'll see what their thoughts are. Sounds as if there's a way to make this work even with the Future Shock.

It should be no problem as there are different sleeve adaptors for the Future Shock that come with your bike in the charger pack.

It should be no problem as there are different sleeve adaptors for the Future Shock that come with your bike in the charger pack.
Thanks Amoto. LBS said:
We can install a stem with more rise, as long as we have the correct adapter and the fork clamp area is the same height as the stem that comes on the bike. We've had the most success with other stems made by specialized.
We're a little low on inventory for those higher rise stems at the moment, but we do have one 24 degree stem that we can try out for you. It is a 90mm length, which might be too short, but we can put it on the bike if you would like to try it out.
I said sure, let's try it.

XL is big for a 6' torso. Have you tried also the L version? You might feel less "stretched" there.
I'm surprised that so many found so many different stems for futureshock. Here in Germany all of them are in 6 degree, only different lenghts.
Also the Creo here doesn't come with an adapter to use normal 31.8 stems and my LBS was unable (or incapable?) to order it. But I found someone with a lathe who made me one for some Cappuccinos.

About dropper post and flare: Both things are only useful for offroad/gravel, not for asphalt. I have another gravel bike without flare and I prefer my Creo Comp Evo, where the bars in the lower ends are about 50mm more apart than at the other bike. But the bar is also in the top 20mm wider, so the flare gives only 30mm extra. But I guess it also depends on your personal "dimensions". I have very wide shoulders, someone with smaller shoulders may prefer bars without flare. You have tried also the Creo road version without flare? Then let your belly decide, flare is nothing mandatory for gravel.
The dropper post is even less important for me. I tried it a few tours and it's a fine thing for stronger downhills. But it's simply not enough for a gravel bike for real downhills. The few times I would have had benefits of the lower position it was already so steep, that I missed much more to feel safe riding downhill: A suspension fork, much wider tires and above all (with my weight) stronger brakes/bigger discs. With all that, a dropper post would be great and make the downhill ride even better, but only the dropper post doesn't help (me). Maybe this is different for a much lighter and more experienced rider.
I swapped to a normal carbon seat post, which is also much lighter und less "technology" to maintain or to damage.

Another question, as I found no other thread about this topic: Is it possible (and allowed and advisable for fat riders like me) to install bigger discs on the Creo, for example 180mm? I found one article where the say up to 180mm is possible, but it's just one article and from 2019...

XL is big for a 6' torso. Have you tried also the L version? You might feel less "stretched" there.
I'm surprised that so many found so many different stems for futureshock. Here in Germany all of them are in 6 degree, only different lenghts.
Also the Creo here doesn't come with an adapter to use normal 31.8 stems and my LBS was unable (or incapable?) to order it. But I found someone with a lathe who made me one for some Cappuccinos.

About dropper post and flare: Both things are only useful for offroad/gravel, not for asphalt. I have another gravel bike without flare and I prefer my Creo Comp Evo, where the bars in the lower ends are about 50mm more apart than at the other bike. But the bar is also in the top 20mm wider, so the flare gives only 30mm extra. But I guess it also depends on your personal "dimensions". I have very wide shoulders, someone with smaller shoulders may prefer bars without flare. You have tried also the Creo road version without flare? Then let your belly decide, flare is nothing mandatory for gravel.
The dropper post is even less important for me. I tried it a few tours and it's a fine thing for stronger downhills. But it's simply not enough for a gravel bike for real downhills. The few times I would have had benefits of the lower position it was already so steep, that I missed much more to feel safe riding downhill: A suspension fork, much wider tires and above all (with my weight) stronger brakes/bigger discs. With all that, a dropper post would be great and make the downhill ride even better, but only the dropper post doesn't help (me). Maybe this is different for a much lighter and more experienced rider.
I swapped to a normal carbon seat post, which is also much lighter und less "technology" to maintain or to damage.
Thanks Jo.

Long torso, short legs (would you believe 30" inseam?). My 2009 Roubaix is an XL also. I did try the L version and the LBS felt I was too cramped. I feel that a higher stem on the XL may get me to the preferred riding position.

Re: the flare, yes, I tried regular road version, but frankly I wasn't focusing on the drop bars at that point, so maybe I should compare again. I do like the Green EVO color, though.

Re: dropper post, I may swap it out also, as I don't anticipate doing a lot of downhill dirt stuff.

Just waiting for them to call me when they have put on the 90mm 24 degree stem.

Ken

Long torso, short legs (would you believe 30" inseam?). My 2009 Roubaix is an XL also. I did try the L version and the LBS felt I was too cramped. I feel that a higher stem on the XL may get me to the preferred riding position.

Ken
its easier to make a smaller size bike bigger to accommodate comfort vs the other way around. The LBS should have put you on an L to accomodate your 30 inch inseam and the cockpit can then be made longer to accommodate your longer torso by installing a longer stem. But seems the LBS is suggesting to you a shorten stem now... from 110 mm (stock) down to 90m which would mean your reach may be too far (which contradicts their too “cramped” initial assessment)? The CREO size L would have had a 100 mm stem and the geometry reach for size L would be more accommodating to you. Just a thought. But, If you already bought the XL, I hope the LBS can find the comfort so you can enjoy your rides. ;)

Last edited:
its easier to make a smaller size bike bigger to accommodate comfort vs the other way around. The LBS should have put you on an L to accomodate your 30 inch inseam and the cockpit can then be made longer to accommodate your longer torso by installing a longer stem. But seems the LBS is suggesting to you a shorten stem now... from 110 mm (stock) down to 90m which would mean your reach may be too far (which contradicts their too “cramped” initial assessment)? The CREO size L would have had a 100 mm stem and the geometry reach for size L would be more accommodating to you. Just a thought. But, If you already bought the XL, I hope the LBS can find the comfort so you can enjoy your rides. ;)
Thanks for the thoughts. I had asked if we could get the handlebars up higher for a less aggressive posture, and they happened to have a 90mm 24 degree stem on hand. So it was the 24 degree part, not the shorter length, that was the main reason. However, if I'm trying to get more upright, the shorter stem helps that too. I hear what you're saying. You would try a longer stem on the L for my long torso. And then of course I would want something angled up more to get my hands higher. Looks as if Specialized makes 140mm, 12 degree; 130mm, 17 degree, but longest 24 degree is 110mm. Perhaps I should invest in a professional bike fitting.

Thanks for the thoughts. I had asked if we could get the handlebars up higher for a less aggressive posture, and they happened to have a 90mm 24 degree stem on hand. So it was the 24 degree part, not the shorter length, that was the main reason. However, if I'm trying to get more upright, the shorter stem helps that too. I hear what you're saying. You would try a longer stem on the L for my long torso. And then of course I would want something angled up more to get my hands higher. Looks as if Specialized makes 140mm, 12 degree; 130mm, 17 degree, but longest 24 degree is 110mm. Perhaps I should invest in a professional bike fitting.
There are calculators that give you reach dimensions with various stem length and angle. Keep in mind that when a stem angle changes from zero degrees, that also changes the reach measurement some. So 24 degrees upward and only 90mm length is going to change the reach a bunch.

Re: the flare, yes, I tried regular road version, but frankly I wasn't focusing on the drop bars at that point, so maybe I should compare again. I do like the Green EVO color, though.
You don't need flare for offroad/gravel, the difference is not that big. And vice versa, light flare is not only for gravel, yoi can also ride asphalt with it. Aerodynamic is slightly worse, but I guess that#s not you main focus...

I'm no expert in race bikes, just my cents after now owning&riding gravel (race) bikes for 2-3 years. With the Creo and with my normal/organic gravel bike (Orbea Terra) I'm exactly between two sizes with both. With the Terra I decided for the smaller size with a 10mm longer stem, at the Creo for the bigger one with 20mm shorter stem. Both are fine for me, but I can still feel that both are not 100% perfect.
But if I try both today without motor, the Creo fit feels a little bit better. Maybe this would change with 10-15kg less weight, perhaps overweight/extra belly feels less comfortable on a smaller frame size race bikes (and a lighter bike...).
But the Creo also has a quite short seat tube for a race bike/race bars, so the length of seat tube and seat post outside the tube is the same on my (big) Creo and my (small) Terra. And with short legs/lower saddle, saddle (and rider) get nearer to the handle bar, so if one then has also long torso I can imagine that he/she may feel cramped there.
But even if the Creo seat tube is short, with 30 inch inseam there maybe not enough space for a dropper post on size XL. My inseam is 35 inch and dropper post is still possible on my Xl Creo but almost no space left for dropper post with shorter legs I thought. But you tried already an XL Evo with dropper post Ken?

When did you ride longer tours on your Roubaix Ken? I don't know the history of the Roubaix, but the actual Roubaix has an even more aggressive/sportive stack/reach ratio than the Creo. But also the Roubaix position would normally be classified as soft/endurance, while the Creo would even be "supersoft". If the stem length/bar position is ok, I think you get used to the height in a few weeks.

Last edited:
You don't need flare for offroad/gravel, the differnece is not that big. And vice versa, light flare is not only for gravel, yoi can also ride asphalt with it. Aerodynamic is slightly worse, but I guess that#s not you main focus...

I'm no expert in race bikes, just my cents after now owning&riding gravel (race) bikes for 2-3 years. With the Creo and with my normal/organic gravel bike (Orbea Terra) I'm exactly between two sizes with both. With the Terra I decided for the smaller size with a 10mm longer stem, at the Creo for the bigger one with 20mm shorter stem. Both are fine for me, but I can still feel that both are not 100% perfect.
But if I try both today without motor, the Creo fit feels a little bit better. Maybe this would change with 10-15kg less weight, perhaps overweight/extra belly feels less comfortable on a smaller frame size race bikes (and a lighter bike...).
But the Creo also has a quite short seat tube for a race bike/race bars, so the length of seat tube and seat post outside the tube is the same on my (big) Creo and my (small) Terra. And with short legs/lower saddle, saddle (and rider) get nearer to the handle bar, so if one then has also long torso I can imagine that he/she may feel cramped there.
But even if the Creo seat tube is short, with 30 inch inseam there maybe not enough space for a dropper post on size XL. My inseam is 35 inch and dropper post is still possible on my Xl Creo but almost no space left for dropper post with shorter legs I thought. But you tried already an XL Evo with dropper post Ken?
Thanks. Yes, I tried the XL Evo with dropper post today.

Anybody had the Creo SL Carbon Comp EVO handlebars changed from flared to the regular road version handlebars? I like the Sage Green EVO color and the wider tires, but not so keen on the handlebars, and the seat is an easy swap if I so choose. I found this interesting site: https://support.specialized.com/home/turbocreosl/features-compatibility. "All Creo SL models can effectively be set up as EVO or standard. The differences are in the seatpost, tires, and handlebars." On the left side of that site are other interesting information sections.

Replacing one race hancdle bar by another is no problem, just takes some time and maybe a few attempts for attaching the tape well if you have never done it before.
But as I said before, the Creo Evo flare is not that much, as well as it's not elemental for graveling, it's also not to much for normal road rides. I doubt that it will bother you even if you ride only asphalt. But if you have tried it and you really feel the difference and it bothers you, change it.

Thank you both for your replies. I just feel as if it makes my reach a bit more extended and spread out than I like. Now granted, I don't ride in the drops very often, but for this kind of money, I might as well get it the way I like it. May decide to get road version and swap the tires, assuming I can get comfortable with one of the colors. Thanks.

Thank you both for your replies. I just feel as if it makes my reach a bit more extended and spread out than I like. Now granted, I don't ride in the drops very often, but for this kind of money, I might as well get it the way I like it. May decide to get road version and swap the tires, assuming I can get comfortable with one of the colors. Thanks.
I think maybe the XL frame could be the issue. I purchased a Focus Paralane about 3 years ago. Their chart said I was smack dab in the middle of 56 & 58CM. I went with the 58 thinking the extra stack would put me in a more enduro position. Ends up it just stretched my reach farther out which I had to make due with by flipping the stem and stacking as many spacers under the stem as was possible. I should have gone with the 56. Anyway, my latest bike purchase is an Orbea Gain. Per their chart a size large (which is the equivalent of a 55-56CM) was what they recommended for me. (Just over 6") Glad I went with the Large. I could have made an XL work, but if you listen to the experts they always say the go smaller, not bigger when you're in between. They also say it's easier to make a smaller frame work for you than a too large frame. Lesson learned for me.

I think maybe the XL frame could be the issue. I purchased a Focus Paralane about 3 years ago. Their chart said I was smack dab in the middle of 56 & 58CM. I went with the 58 thinking the extra stack would put me in a more enduro position. Ends up it just stretched my reach farther out which I had to make due with by flipping the stem and stacking as many spacers under the stem as was possible. I should have gone with the 56. Anyway, my latest bike purchase is an Orbea Gain. Per their chart a size large (which is the equivalent of a 55-56CM) was what they recommended for me. (Just over 6") Glad I went with the Large. I could have made an XL work, but if you listen to the experts they always say the go smaller, not bigger when you're in between. They also say it's easier to make a smaller frame work for you than a too large frame. Lesson learned for me.
Thanks Steven. I may go back to LBS and get their take on adapting an L.

Does it make sense to switch out and install a Roval Alpinist handlebar on a Creo SL? Will it work? Can it be not strong enough for an ebike frame?

Last edited:
Greetings all. My LBS let me take the Creo SL Comp Carbon EVO for the day yesterday. Did a 33-mile test ride. Mind you, I'm a heavy guy getting back into road biking after several years away from it. First 20 miles, mostly flat, did not use the battery. Wanted to save it. When I got to some hills, tried all three power levels. Great help. Then I was running late and needed to get back in a hurry. Did the last 5-8 miles in full power mode. My main concern now is that the gear shifting was often not smooth. LBS said it may be that the cable needs to be adjusted after the initial break-in of the bike. Seemed as if it didn't settle cleanly into some of the gears. And with full power, from being stopped at lights, etc., changing gears caused lots of noise. When you start to pedal of course and change gears, the motor tries to kick in, but maybe faster than you want it to, causing gear "crunching." Not sure if I'm explaining it right. Anyway, anybody else experience less than smooth shifting issues? I looked around at some of the other threads, and didn't see one that applied, so posting here. Thanks.

Generally my shifting is smooth, but once in a while I have what you might describe as gear crunching. Usually when I'm going uphill.

Back