Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

Cross posting, just received my Creo Comp SL in satin black, review here:

Cross posting, just received my Creo Comp SL in satin black, review here:

Well done!

My wife and I have ridden our Creos for over a month now and absolutely love the bikes. We recently returned from a tour of the Canadian Rockies and truly found them to be an asset on climbs. Everything remains tight and we’ve experienced no issues with the bikes so far. As long as the warm fall weather continues to linger here, we'll be out riding.

Attachments

• IMG_20200930_1216333.jpg
    IMG_20200930_1216333.jpg
    303.7 KB · Views: 481
  • IMG_20200930_1301526.jpg
    IMG_20200930_1301526.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 493
  • Creo Comp Carbon.jpg
    Creo Comp Carbon.jpg
    512.7 KB · Views: 499
  • Creo SL Exp.jpg
    Creo SL Exp.jpg
    584.7 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG_20200910_1455455.jpg
    IMG_20200910_1455455.jpg
    807.9 KB · Views: 490
My wife and I have ridden our Creos for over a month now and absolutely love the bikes. We recently returned from a tour of the Canadian Rockies and truly found them to be an asset on climbs. Everything remains tight and we’ve experienced no issues with the bikes so far. As long as the warm fall weather continues to linger here, we'll be out riding.
Wait how is your bike standing straight up like that without leaning on anything? Nice bike btw.

Thanks, great pics and they are nice looking bikes. What kind of mileage are you getting from a full battery? Yesterday, I depleted the main battery and a Range Extender in 48 miles riding mostly flat bike trails averaging slightly over 18mph. I rode in Sport Mode until I hit 12% battery and then it dropped the power level. I will try the same ride this week using ECO mode. At my age (69), 6'5" and 205lbs I don't expect the mileage younger, lighter, stronger riders get but I was expecting better mileage than that with 150% battery in Sport Mode.

Wait how is your bike standing straight up like that without leaning on anything? Nice bike btw.

I use a Click Stand. It can be custom fit for virtually any bike and is particularly great for carbon frames. I stow mine alongside the bottle cage in a modified ToPeak side mount bracket purchased from the vendor. Tom Nostrant is the principal behind the company and is really good to work with. A better view of the stand can be seen in the second image. Depending on the camera angle, one can create the illusion that the bike is standing on its own.

http://www.click-stand.com/

Attachments

• IMG_20201005_0824549.jpg
    IMG_20201005_0824549.jpg
    227 KB · Views: 447
  • IMG_20200930_1346231.jpg
    IMG_20200930_1346231.jpg
    442.1 KB · Views: 429
Thanks, great pics and they are nice looking bikes. What kind of mileage are you getting from a full battery? Yesterday, I depleted the main battery and a Range Extender in 48 miles riding mostly flat bike trails averaging slightly over 18mph. I rode in Sport Mode until I hit 12% battery and then it dropped the power level. I will try the same ride this week using ECO mode. At my age (69), 6'5" and 205lbs I don't expect the mileage younger, lighter, stronger riders get but I was expecting better mileage than that with 150% battery in Sport Mode.

Thanks RMK! Neither of us have the battery extender. On our last trip to Jasper National Park, we biked 70k with a total elevation gain of 739 meters and we were still at 60% charge at the end of the ride. The majority of the time was devoted to Eco setting and Sport mode was used on virtually all of the climbs. My wife employed her Turbo setting only once on the first assent (7.1% grade). Much of our power savings could be attributed to the fact that we are both slighter in frame. I'm 5'6" my wife 5' and I tip the scales at 136 lbs and much less in the case of my wife. I'll be turning 60 in November. BTW, I was finally able to track down a range extender and look forward to taking delivery of it for longer rides. Most Cdn retailers appear to be sold out of these gems.

Last edited:
Thanks RMK! Neither of us have the battery extender. On our last trip to Jasper National Park, we biked 70k with a total elevation gain of 739 meters and we were still at 60% charge at the end of the ride. The majority of the time was devoted to Eco setting and Sport mode was used on virtually all of the climbs. My wife employed her Turbo setting only once on the first assent (7.1% grade). Much of our power savings could be attributed to the fact that we are both slighter in frame. I'm 5'6" my wife 5' and I tip the scales at 136 lbs and much less in the case of my wife. I'll be turning 60 in November. BTW, I was finally able to track down an extender and look forward to taking delivery of it for extended rides. Most Cdn retailers appear to be sold out of these gems.
Thank you for the information PD. I think you are correct about the impact of power consumption due to rider weight. I will repeat the 48 mile ride in the next couple of days using eco mode to determine the possible energy savings and, the impact on avg speed. Are you using the Mission Control app? I find it simple to use and it provides good bike/rider information.

So far I've been relying on my Garmin Edge 520 Plus sync'd with the ridewithgps app and it's been providing me with enough data for now. I also employ the use of a Garmin Varia and find it to be an indispensable tool for alerting me of rear approaching vehicles via the head unit. Will certainly look into the MC app for enhanced info. Thanks!

So far I've been relying on my Garmin Edge 520 Plus sync'd with the ridewithgps app and it's been providing me with enough data for now. I also employ the use of a Garmin Varia and find it to be an indispensable tool for alerting me of rear approaching vehicles via the head unit. Will certainly look into the MC app for enhanced info. Thanks!

The Garmin is clearly superior in terms of features and function compared to the bare bones Mission Control App. I just prefer the simplicity of the phone app.

The Garmin is clearly superior in terms of features and function compared to the bare bones Mission Control App. I just prefer the simplicity of the phone app.
For me the only reason I am using a Garmin is to give my phone battery a break.

I use a Click Stand. It can be custom fit for virtually any bike and is particularly great for carbon frames. I stow mine alongside the bottle cage in a modified ToPeak side mount bracket purchased from the vendor. Tom Nostrant is the principal behind the company and is really good to work with. A better view of the stand can be seen in the second image. Depending on the camera angle, one can create the illusion that the bike is standing on its own.

http://www.click-stand.com/

Great idea on the Click Stand... thanks for sharing.

I have a similar carbon fiber kick stand called the "Corki kick stand" but only for my 18lb analog bike. It also has a holder that attaches to the cup holder but the weight of a 30lb Creo would be a risky endeavour.

corki.png

Last edited:
Great idea on the Click Stand... thanks for sharing.

Glad to share. Being fabricated from aircraft aluminum, the stands are strong and quite sturdy. Two bungee brake bands are also included with each stand and are used to depress either front/rear or both brakes so as to prevent the bike from moving from its stationary position.

I was going to do the 45 mile ride today to test Eco mode but ended up using the smart ride feature on a truncated 32 mile ride. 30-35 miles seems to be my current sweet spot and despite my intended easy pace, I ended up with a 20mph average with a cadence of 72 rpm. Just can't get over the need to quickly pass any cyclist I come across. I imagine many hate my battery powered guts ... ;-)

I was going to do the 45 mile ride today to test Eco mode but ended up using the smart ride feature on a truncated 32 mile ride. 30-35 miles seems to be my current sweet spot and despite my intended easy pace, I ended up with a 20mph average with a cadence of 72 rpm. Just can't get over the need to quickly pass any cyclist I come across. I imagine many hate my battery powered guts ... ;-)

Glad to know that you that were able to get out and ride. It's been raining here all day and the forecast for tomorrow doesn't look much better. Our recent warm fall appears to be coming to an end. Wonder how many cyclists realize they are being passed by an e-biker. Decent stats btw!

Got my wife the turbo creo sl expert in May as her secondary bike for gravel rides with me. 981km, 8 charges, 122km per charge. She rides at 25/25 Eco, 35/35 Sport, 70/70 Turbo. Longest ride has been 70km with ~1000m of vertical. Always lots of battery left. I love it for head winds. She goes in turbo and I kick in behind.

Attachments

• 20201001_191044560_iOS.jpg
    20201001_191044560_iOS.jpg
    760.6 KB · Views: 353
  • 20201003_172243317_iOS.jpg
    20201003_172243317_iOS.jpg
    517.1 KB · Views: 360
  • 20201003_145618805_iOS.jpg
    20201003_145618805_iOS.jpg
    364 KB · Views: 350
Got my wife the turbo creo sl expert in May as her secondary bike for gravel rides with me. 981km, 8 charges, 122km per charge. She rides at 25/25 Eco, 35/35 Sport, 70/70 Turbo. Longest ride has been 70km with ~1000m of vertical. Always lots of battery left. I love it for head winds. She goes in turbo and I kick in behind.

Whoa! Gorgeous fall colors. My wife has the Creo Comp Carbon and it's inspired her to ride with me more often. We recently rode a section of road in Clearwater Country and were amazed at the scenery. Hah, can't believe I 'rode a road'!

Attachments

• IMG_20200929_1220201.jpg
    IMG_20200929_1220201.jpg
    588 KB · Views: 372
  • IMG_20200929_1221020.jpg
    IMG_20200929_1221020.jpg
    722.4 KB · Views: 357
  • IMG_20200929_1242382.jpg
    IMG_20200929_1242382.jpg
    518 KB · Views: 354
At age 73 and 205 lbs I find my e-Bianchi able to subtract 20 years to my performance not 20 pounds. One must factor fitness and weight to our performance goals and always enjoy what we have left in our declining years. I’m currently rehabbing from my second knee replacement within two years after 38 years of bike touring. Ride on no matter what your ride.

Although I have always enjoyed bike riding, it was never a serious hobby/sport for me. My height and very long legs made fitting a bike difficult and deterred me from getting more into biking. The XXL Creo is the first bike I have ridden that actually fits me.

Getting out into nature and getting exercise are my priorities. Needing to ride faster-farther is an unfortunate personality trait that I need to try and overcome. I want biking to help me stay fit and avoid medical interventions, not be a causality. My wife is a very smart woman (Nurse Practitioner with her PhD) and she has a Rules of Medicine saying that goes " Air goes in and out, blood goes round and round, stay away from surgeons ... :)

Back