Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

Grass is always greener, etc. Although I enjoy retirement, I can't convince my wife to even consider it. But she loves her job, and I didn't.

The weight difference between Creo to Vado SL is about the same as Vado SL to Vado.
It depends on which Creo you're using as a comparison. Carbon Creos weigh around 28 pounds, sans pedals, but the aluminum Creo is very close to the weight of the aluminum Vado SL.

There is an old saying in racing... "Fast, good, or cheap – pick two." ;)

1602784368597.png

There is an old saying in racing... "Fast, good, or cheap – pick two." ;)

View attachment 68716
The expression isn't just about racing. When I was writing code, I used it all the time. I could knock out something that "usually works" in a few hours, but tested and debugged, and ready for an untrained user could take many days and much more money. I think building contractors and designers have the same issue. It's a complex world...

Aluminum Creo weighs 33 lbs with pedals - that come with bike
Carbon one weighs 29lbs. Vado SL weighs at 36lbs
Specialized shows the carbon version at 26.7, though that's probably the top of the line. However, the EVO version is still under 30lbs. The carbon comp (non evo) is probably somewhere in between.

I have always loved San Diego and thought of how great it would be to live there. But I've only been to California on vacation. I have read lots of Californians have been leaving the state. What's driving people to leave?

Here is a short list below... I'm a native of this beautiful state and not planning to leave anytime soon. ;)
Unfortunately, the State is only now affordable for those at the top or bottom of the socioeconomic scale.

Last edited:
I have always loved San Diego and thought of how great it would be to live there. But I've only been to California on vacation. I have read lots of Californians have been leaving the state. What's driving people to leave?
For me, it would be purely politics. It's a one party state and things are being done without discussion. They'll raise the taxes when they feel like it and re-allocate funds without hesitation. I'm paying more and not getting more. As the day wears on, I feel more abandoned. I'd rather take my money and go somewhere else when I'll be more welcomed.

Politics affect my life. Policy on clearing dead forest trees for example is making forest fires more frequent. We're being rationed water-even when we have so much that it runs into the ocean at times. Taxes and taxes but it's not coming back to us. No one knows where it goes actually.

That said, there's a lot of places to go biking and the weather is great. I want a Creo...yes, back on topic.

I never bothered to weigh my Creo when I took delivery. The bike shop where I purchased it at told me 27lbs. 11 oz. and the EBR review has it tipping the scales at 28.8 lbs. With pedals (EH500), pump, saddle/kit, lights, various mounts I figure that it's now hovering around 30lbs +/-. Regardless what the actual weight is it's still a very nimble ride even without assist.

It's the calm before the storm. I took the bike out for a ride out on trails this afternoon one last time before an approaching system arrives Friday morning. It was 4 C at the time I took this shot but felt much colder with the wind gusting 50kph at times plus the snow that fell on Wednesday hasn't completely melted yet. Our region is expecting snowfall amounts of 10-15 cm and the outlook for the next several days doesn’t look too promising either. On the upside, I returned home in time to finish my fall chores.😉
IMG_20201015_1349244.jpg

Here is a short list below... I'm a native of this beautiful state and not planning to leave anytime soon. ;)
Unfortunately, the State is only now affordable for those at the top or bottom of the socioeconomic scale.

Thanks for providing that enlightening article on the state of crisis that Californians face. It's a wake-up call for those of us who aren't directly exposed to the issues. I guess with all of the spectacular images posted on this site by those of you from the Golden State it's hard to fathom anything else but a blissful setting.

My parents owned a vacation home in Escondido in the 90s and my wife and I always enjoyed visiting the area during holidays. Loved the fact it was relatively close to the ocean and SD. We often remarked to ourselves how wonderful a place it would be to spend our retirement years. The home has since sold and both my folks have passed on but we still have fond memories of those trips.

Last edited:
Does anyone know: When using the Creo motor, do the calories shown on a Garmin reflect only the rider effort, or include the motor input? BTW, my Garmin "knows" I am using an e-bike and what power setting I am on. Thank you.

Does anyone know: When using the Creo motor, do the calories shown on a Garmin reflect only the rider effort, or include the motor input? BTW, my Garmin "knows" I am using an e-bike and what power setting I am on. Thank you.
From what I gather, the calories are calculated based on the total output from the power meter, regardless of assist mode.

Specialized shows the carbon version at 26.7, though that's probably the top of the line. However, the EVO version is still under 30lbs. The carbon comp (non evo) is probably somewhere in between.
My Comp Evo in XL was about 30,5 lbs with tubes and without pedals. Tubless and without a carbon seat post instead of the dropper post you get around 29,5. With good/strong (gravel) wheels and carbon rims you get below 29. With better components regardless of money you can save another lbs, so 28 lbs is (without pedals) reachable for a still usable gravel bike. If you are a light rider and with lighter tires one pound more is possible, so 27 lbs. If you through away gravel and just go for roads maybe 26 lbs. If speciliazed would offer the futureshock optional (I like it, but I guess some road bikers would prefer a lighter Creo without it) maybe 25 lbs.
Of course the Creo rides great still in the default E5 or Comp version and tuning everything up to the last screw is an expensive passion with not so much sense. But the Creo rides even and better with less weight. I came down more than two pounds and this is noticeably, as I already wrote somewhere her before.

As I've mentioned previously, before the pandemic hit I had the chance to ride a SL Comp E5 (aluminum) back-to-back with a Comp SL Expert (carbon) over the same route.
I didn't notice any difference (weight-wise) on the flats, but I could feel the difference on a really steep hill that I rode up. The hill was noticeably easier with the Expert.

Who else is using the Creo for Gravel?
What's the widest tire you were able to fit in? Specialized says 42mm, but I would like some real life experiences. I now have 40-622 G-One Allround on a rim width 23mm inner width and would like more grip and width. It seems, 42mm is possible in the rear but noch much more, in the front is a little bit more space.
I’ve put a few miles in on WTB Riddlers 700x45c. I Would advise to use only for super dry conditions as you have zero mud clearance. But they fit.

Attachments

• AB0C429E-8070-4923-9661-FF2D2EBD8A5D.jpeg
    AB0C429E-8070-4923-9661-FF2D2EBD8A5D.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 414
Cool. I have a set of Riddlers in 37s but haven’t had a chance to try them out yet. I suspect full fenders would be a no go on these.

Back