Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I had my first ride today breathing through a mask as my state burns again (due of course to inadequate forest floor raking). I rode 22 miles in sport more averaging 18 mph. I had 62% remaining on the main battery as I forgot to plug in the bottle battery. So I think I should be able to get 50+ miles out of the main and another 25 out of the bottle battery. I put it in turbo mode briefly to climb a big hill but then reverted to sport for the rest of the ride.

I imagine eco mode on the flats would offset more aggressive use of turbo so 75 miles seems very doable. I really like the Mission Control app and it told me I got to 33.7 mph on one slight downhill stretch on my mostly smooth cadence ride. Pretty impressive and I love the Quadlock phone holder. Using my metal water bottle in the also metal bottle cage was a mistake, quite a bit of rattle. I thought the motor was very quiet in eco and sport mode and only slightly less so in turbo. Based upon the performance of this motor I'm glad I didn't wait for the promise of a quieter motor.

One issue was the flat pedals dragging on curves due to me not coasting through the curves and riding inside pedal up. With less than 3" of clearance at the bottom of the stroke it doesn't take much lean to have a pedal strike. The clipless pedals will help but I have to wonder about pedalling through curves. Any experienced road riders care to comment
I had my first ride today breathing through a mask as my state burns again (due of course to inadequate forest floor raking). I rode 22 miles in sport more averaging 18 mph. I had 62% remaining on the main battery as I forgot to plug in the bottle battery. So I think I should be able to get 50+ miles out of the main and another 25 out of the bottle battery. I put it in turbo mode briefly to climb a big hill but then reverted to sport for the rest of the ride.

I imagine eco mode on the flats would offset more aggressive use of turbo so 75 miles seems very doable. I really like the Mission Control app and it told me I got to 33.7 mph on one slight downhill stretch on my mostly smooth cadence ride. Pretty impressive and I love the Quadlock phone holder. Using my metal water bottle in the also metal bottle cage was a mistake, quite a bit of rattle. I thought the motor was very quiet in eco and sport mode and only slightly less so in turbo. Based upon the performance of this motor I'm glad I didn't wait for the promise of a quieter motor.

One issue was the flat pedals dragging on curves due to me not coasting through the curves and riding inside pedal up. With less than 3" of clearance at the bottom of the stroke it doesn't take much lean to have a pedal strike. The clipless pedals will help but I have to wonder about pedalling through curves. Any experienced road riders care to comment?
It will depend on your bottom bracket height and crank length.

Re: Pedalling Through Turns

As in most things, it depends:p A lower bottom bracket, whether due to frame design or wheel/tire size, increases the risk of pedal strike, however a number of other factors play a role as well. The sharpness of the radius of the turn, speed (which effects the angle of lean), slope of road all can contribute.

A gradual turn at low speed will normally be safe, especially going uphill since the lower speed reduces the angle of lean. Having ridden road bikes for 30 years my practice is now to avoid pedalling when making a turn if I can coast through it to prevent even a remote chance of pedal strike.

I have Shimano SPD pedals on my EVO, and I'm able to pedal through very tight turns without strikes. I would assume the same is true with look etc...
Re: Pedalling Through Turns

As in most things, it depends:p A lower bottom bracket, whether due to frame design or wheel/tire size, increases the risk of pedal strike, however a number of other factors play a role as well. The sharpness of the radius of the turn, speed (which effects the angle of lean), slope of road all can contribute.

A gradual turn at low speed will normally be safe, especially going uphill since the lower speed reduces the angle of lean. Having ridden road bikes for 30 years my practice is now to avoid pedalling when making a turn if I can coast through it to prevent even a remote chance of pedal strike.

Thanks to you both. I had a DOH moment when reading CMR15's post. The Creo came with Specialized flat pedals and that was what I was using for the past week while waiting for my clipless shoes/pedals to arrive. The Shimano SPD-SL pedals area a full inch narrower than the flat pedals. That 1" width delta will make a big difference and probably eliminate the pedal strikes I have experienced.

The bottom bracket to ground distance, and the crank length of my Creo XXL are frame size appropriate and yield net ground clearances similar to all of the Specialized Turbo and non-turbo models in all sizes. I even checked other manufacturers with the same result. I'm going for my inaugural clipless ride today and I'm sure the issue will be resolved. I'm also aware of Turbo Teds comments and will be carefull in testing the limits of the new pedals.

Thanks for setting me straight, and I'm sorry for the distraction. The Creo is a great ebike and I look forward to many years of power assist riding.

That's a part of the current Euro spec for S-Pedelec Vado (6.0). The Supernova M99 Pro is fully automatic, with day-lighting always on, low-beam activated when it's getting dark (also in tunnels), high-beam 1600 lm on demand.

Stefan,

Is the Supernova M99 Pro on the Euro spec a 6v or?
If one is obtained, is the plug the same or does Supernova need to know the expected application and the manufacturer/supply different versions for different bikes?
Meaning, is the light a universal light or model specific?

With the addition of the SPD SL pedals I have had no pedal strikes. I did some adjustments to the seat post height and fore/aft position. Also have the Kinekt seatpost suspension adjusted to the softest setting. Although the Future Shock 1.5 helps absorb front bumps, the switch to Pathfinder Pro 700 X 42m tires has made the most difference in ride quality. The larger tires give me more confidence going off road on gravel and mild single track trails but also perform great on bumpy paved streets/trails.

I find sport mode (2 bars) is my sweet spot and I'm getting approx 60 miles max range using both batteries. I was hoping for a bit more and switching to eco mode on the flats might help get to 80 miles but location of the switching isn't ideal and requires several clicks to get from Sport to Eco. A drop bar based switch would be better but I'm not interested in an aftermarket solution at the moment.

I rode 76 miles in the last 2 days and after 30 miles my hands start going numb and my crotch starts to hurt. I've been taking a 5 minute break before pushing on and that helps. I hope to get to 50 miles as a regular ride but for now, 30 or 40 miles is my comfort range.

Here is a pic of the current setup with the Pathfinders.
Creo 2.jpg

With the addition of the SPD SL pedals I have had no pedal strikes. I did some adjustments to the seat post height and fore/aft position. Also have the Kinekt seatpost suspension adjusted to the softest setting. Although the Future Shock 1.5 helps absorb front bumps, the switch to Pathfinder Pro 700 X 42m tires has made the most difference in ride quality. The larger tires give me more confidence going off road on gravel and mild single track trails but also perform great on bumpy paved streets/trails.

I find sport mode (2 bars) is my sweet spot and I'm getting approx 60 miles max range using both batteries. I was hoping for a bit more and switching to eco mode on the flats might help get to 80 miles but location of the switching isn't ideal and requires several clicks to get from Sport to Eco. A drop bar based switch would be better but I'm not interested in an aftermarket solution at the moment.

I rode 76 miles in the last 2 days and after 30 miles my hands start going numb and my crotch starts to hurt. I've been taking a 5 minute break before pushing on and that helps. I hope to get to 50 miles as a regular ride but for now, 30 or 40 miles is my comfort range.

Here is a pic of the current setup with the Pathfinders. View attachment 63740
Looks great. Thanks for the information

RMK,
That's a very pretty bike. I too use Kinect seat posts and they make a huge difference.
I was wondering where you got the front wheel rack? I'm trying to find something that will keep the front wheel from moving and wedging an old shoe between the tire and the floor just doesn't cut it anymore.
Thank you.

RMK,
That's a very pretty bike. I too use Kinect seat posts and they make a huge difference.
I was wondering where you got the front wheel rack? I'm trying to find something that will keep the front wheel from moving and wedging an old shoe between the tire and the floor just doesn't cut it anymore.
Thank you.
Thanks but I won't tell my neighbor as he is getting one and you called it pretty. He thinks it looks bad assed ... ;-)

The floor stand is this one but I paid 10 bucks more for it.

Have anyone tried an o_synce LEV multiremote on their Creo SL?
LEV multiremote is a wireless remote control for the drive control of e-bikes with the ANT+ LEV profile (such as the Turbo LEVO series from SPECIALIZED up to models from 2018).

I recently bought creo SL E5 and have biked about 50 miles on it. Put some alum specialized fenders and Nimbus 2 32mm tires (with tubes) on it. I weighed the rear wheel with tires on it and it was almost 4.8 lbs. so tires are almost putting 10 lbs to the bike!
I dont know much jargon on the Bike parts. I think 46T crank was not enough for me to put me in higher speeds - perhaps I did not have fast enough cadence. I asked LBS to see if we can put a 50T crank on it - he will get back to me.
What do folks think about it?

I recently bought creo SL E5 and have biked about 50 miles on it. Put some alum specialized fenders and Nimbus 2 32mm tires (with tubes) on it. I weighed the rear wheel with tires on it and it was almost 4.8 lbs. so tires are almost putting 10 lbs to the bike!

I dont know much jargon on the Bike parts. I think 46T crank was not enough for me to put me in higher speeds - perhaps I did not have fast enough cadence. I asked LBS to see if we can put a 50T crank on it - he will get back to me.
What do folks think about it?

A larger front Chainring will allow higher speeds as long as you can still maintain a decent cadence. A 50 tooth should be plenty to reach 28 mph.

thanks. Any idea about this 50T chainring - what brand could fit this bike?

Take it to your local bike shop and have them measure the BCD... Bolt Circle Diameter of the Chainring.

Then it is a simple matter of ordering a new 50T ring with the correct matching BCD.... FSA and Shimano are good brands.

thanks. Any idea about this 50T chainring - what brand could fit this bike?

Make sure it is a narrow/wide chainring. If you're using a Specialized dealer, it should work out.

BTW, I'm really old and can get the bike to 28+ on the flat ... can't stay there very long, but cadence wise with the stock chainring today I hit 35 mph on a short down hill run.

Who else is using the Creo for Gravel?
What's the widest tire you were able to fit in? Specialized says 42mm, but I would like some real life experiences. I now have 40-622 G-One Allround on a rim width 23mm inner width and would like more grip and width. It seems, 42mm is possible in the rear but noch much more, in the front is a little bit more space.

What's the widest tire you were able to fit in? Specialized says 42mm, but I would like some real life experiences. I now have 40-622 G-One Allround on a rim width 23mm inner width and would like more grip and width. It seems, 42mm is possible in the rear but noch much more, in the front is a little bit more space.

I'm running the same tires that are stock on the Creo EVO (Pathfinder Pro 700 X 42mm). Other than a dropper post, my bike is now effectively an EVO. I've had the bike for almost 3 weeks and have put 366 miles on it. Less than 20 miles have been on gravel road or dirt trails. I'm confident the bike can handle moderate off road but I'm happy on asphalt trails. Although I love the bikes responsiveness and handling without the Pathfinders and suspension seatpost, I found the ride a bit harsh. The Carbon models are purported to absorb bumps better but in my test riding I didn't notice much if any difference in that regard.

I picked up new Carbon comp about three weeks ago. Love this bike. I’m putting on 20 miles a day after work. Setting up this bike as All Road. Running Rene Herse Barlow Pass (38mm) tubeless. I almost went with 44 mm and now know they would have fit. I ride on gravel and rough and smooth pavement. First time trying RH and likely will purchase again.

I think I have these exact same tires on my bike. They are great and comfortable. Ya know now that I think about I think I am getting like 60miles of battery in sport mode. I weigh like 200lbs of solid muscle though.

I'm running the same tires that are stock on the Creo EVO (Pathfinder Pro 700 X 42mm).
I thought the Pathfinder Pro on the Evos comes in 38C/40mm? At least here in Europe, my Comp Evo had these. Maybe in the US with 42mm?

I think I have these exact same tires on my bike. They are great and comfortable. Ya know now that I think about I think I am getting like 60miles of battery in sport mode. I weigh like 200lbs of solid muscle though.
Is the 60 miles in sport mode with or without the battery extender?

Back