Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

My LBS told me stem was not replaceable due to the suspension system??
You can use a regular stem (for a 1 1/8" steerer tube) with an adaptor shim.
It should have come with your bike, but the dealer may have kept (or discarded) it.

See this thread for pictures of the shim and the part number if you need to order one:

I have rode two Trek Fazua bikes and did not like them. I thought they were pretty under powered and quite honestly both bikes had a creaking noise from the seat post. It would drive me nuts in the long term. I hope to test a Creo here in the next week. These test reports from owners are very good to read. Thank you.
I agree with Mike that the Creo/the SL unit does not have more power. With the new black pepper firmware Fazua is even stronger. But of course possible ranges are much smaller with black pepper and less Wh. Also the SL is normally noisier than Fazua. But has other advantages, just try it!

my beloved brother is healthy, slim and fit. I lent him my Vado for a month once. He was making his 2x17 km work commutes typically riding at 45 km/h (and often supported the bike himself by strong pedalling) to be at 47. I told my brother he actually didn't need such a powerful e-bike and he would be happy with the Vado SL or Creo. He replied he wouldn't like to be limited at 25 km/h... He'd rather buy the Vado 6.0 and limited the PAS using Mission Control. Or, he'd buy a lightweight traditional bike.
Surely not all fit riders see a need for a 25km/h SL bike and weaker or heavier riders like me benefit more from this drive. For me it's ok to do all the work alone over 25km/h and I would be happy if I also uphill wouldn't need any help and wouldn't need a bike that is more expensive, complicated and heavier. So a 25km/h Creo has only a limited range of customers.
But your brother should try it, it's very different from other 25km/h E-bikes and the weight is much more fun.

Two technical Creo questions:
- I would like to change the stem for a shorter and lighter one. But due to future shock the shaft diameter also of the stem seems different, I measure something like 24.8-24.9mm. What the heck is this? And where Do I find stems for this??? Are we bound to eternity to the Specialized Future Stems? I guess I need an adapter, from 22mm to 28.6mm?
- Also I would like to change to cranks to lighter carbon ones. Is this possible and does it save some gramm? And is the crank fitting standard? I tried to remove the inbus/socket/hex screw in the crank, but it's very tight and I'm unsure how easy I can damage something in the motor or if it's a left-hand thread?

- I would like to change the stem for a shorter and lighter one. But due to future shock the shaft diameter also of the stem seems different, I measure something like 24.8-24.9mm. What the heck is this? And where Do I find stems for this??? Are we bound to eternity to the Specialized Future Stems? I guess I need an adapter, from 22mm to 28.6mm?
- Also I would like to change to cranks to lighter carbon ones. Is this possible and does it save some gramm? And is the crank fitting standard? I tried to remove the inbus/socket/hex screw in the crank, but it's very tight and I'm unsure how easy I can damage something in the motor or if it's a left-hand thread?
Re. you questions on the stem. See if this answers them - https://electricbikereview.com/foru...d-creo-sl-normal-stem-shim.35414/#post-298780

If you're looking to change out the crank arms to carbon, Praxis makes a carbon set that comes with the S-Works. They go on pretty easy using an 8mm allen wrench. https://praxiscycles.com/product/carbon-m30-ecranks/

If you're looking to change out the crank arms to carbon, Praxis makes a carbon set that comes with the S-Works. They go on pretty easy using an 8mm allen wrench. https://praxiscycles.com/product/carbon-m30-ecranks/

I'm a weight weenie on my analog road bike. I have those Praxis M30 carbon cranks.

On my Creo SL, its really doesn't matter. Its all function and comfort. No counting grams. We have the motor to compensate. It will never approach the UCI 14.99lb limit!

Thank you, I will follow this thread now. (I already posted this on saturday, but the post vanished somehow...)
Thank you very much, this is what I'was looking for! The brand ist also listed with other carbon cranks in several shops here with reasonable prices. So hopefully no need to order directly from the producer with customs and shipping, even if the SL cranks are not listed yet here.

@sfebiker You are right that tuning on E-bikes is less necessary than on organic bikes. But where to you set the limit? If weight doesn't matter on an E-Bike one could say "Hey, you stupid Creo SL riders, why do you spend so much money for a light E-Bike, just buy a standard Bosch bike with 10kg more, it's the same!". And we all know that this is not the case... ;-)
For the better Creos from Expert line on I also don't see much need for weight tuning, but the lower versions like E5 and Comp are purely equipped. Also some carbon cranks would fit to the Creo, at least from Expert line on. Ah, I see the S-Works has them!

"Hey, you stupid Creo SL riders, why do you spend so much money for a light E-Bike, just buy a standard Bosch bike with 10kg more, it's the same!"
I take a bet I'll outrun a Creo SL rider on a 85 km / 1500 m elevation gain ride if I ride my 45 km/h Vado 5.0 with a spare battery in my pannier 😀
(Because a 520 W peak power motor with 90 Nm really matters in the mountains, and the bigger weight only means more battery energy expenditure).

P.S. I also wonder how comes I overtake roadies riding their 9 kg mechanical bikes up 6-12% gradient hills. Low weight matters? Not necessarily.

Last edited:
Stefan you miss again the topic of this thread or the reason for buying&riding a Creo or a SL drive.
Of course a more powerful drive unit is faster. If your ride a 10% uphill with your vado with 10miles/h you need about 570W, where 400-450W comes from the motor. With a light racing bike and racing tires you would need about 460W for the same speed a 10% uphill. With a Creo you would need about 490W, motor maximum is afaik 240W, so you won't hold that speed very long, but maybe 8miles/h and without vomiting at the top of the hill and to have the mood for some more hills.
But riding a light E-Bike is not be faster uphill, it's to have a bike that feels and reacts almost like a normal bike, not like a light motor cycle...

Stefan you miss again the topic of this thread or the reason for buying&riding a Creo or a SL drive.
Why so serious? :)

My merry comment was a reply to yours:
"Hey, you stupid Creo SL riders, why do you spend so much money for a light E-Bike, just buy a standard Bosch bike with 10kg more, it's the same!"
It is not the same. The "heavy" bike is simply far more powerful. Meaning you might make a 12% incline on the Creo but -- maybe -- with a great effort, or you'd might to walk the bike uphill. The matter is not the speed. It is the power, torque, and climbing capability that also results from the drive-train used. I would say my Trance E+ might do even better because of better gearing and geometry.

The reasons people buy Specialized SL e-bikes are clear: More natural, "trad bike" feeling, more workout, no need for powerful motor and heavy battery for fit people. And you can carry an SL up the stairs (Vado SL), uphill (Creo SL) or over an obstacle (Levo SL), shall such need arise. There is no reason to reiterate on how great the SL e-bikes are: They indeed are. The trouble starts when an SL owner tries to convince others the SL is actually better. It is not better. It is different. Same as an MTB and a road-bike are both excellent bikes, just very different.

OK?

Easier here :) Greetings from a ride!

Screenshot_20200811_162457.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200811_162457.jpg
    Screenshot_20200811_162457.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 278
I guess so.
Compared to old one is like night and day. And there was nothing wrong with old one, it was just like that from the start, which I presumed was OK as SL Levos with the same motor have been also quite load at the launch.
But new Vado has much quieter motor so I guess all new SL and Creo also got the same treatment now.
Can I pay them to replace the old motor with the new one? I also want to upgrade the drivetrain and shifting. I want the electrict shifting.

Last edited:
I have ridden many different ebikes including mountain, road, fat tire folders, cruisers and even commuter ebikes. I chose the Creo SL Comp E5 because it is a well engineered, nice looking, light and nimble ebike. It is stealthy and does not look nor perform like many ebikes that are essentially an acoustic bike with a scabbed on motor and battery. I am a reasonably fit 69 YO who likes to ride for enjoyment and exercise. I am not a bike racer (past or present) nor club rider, so the $1500 (or much more) delta for a carbon version Creo simply didn't work for me.

I also like to support companies like Specialized who make good products, respect their employees and have a social conscience. I feel it is important to vote with your wallet, as well as your ballot.

My understanding is that the belt drive on the Vado motor was the reason for it being described as "quiet". The Creo SL is still ver 1.1 so that indicates no changes have been made. On my test rides, I didn't think the SL was loud but it was more noticeable in Turbo mode.

Are we all talking about the same drive and Vado, Vado SL? afaik it has the same SL motor and version as the Creo.

In the few german forum postings about the Creo, the motor noise is quite a topic, while I read almost no complaints about it here. But as I said the Creo is also not very popluar here, and the few intersted disturbs the noise on a so expensive road bike. Also you don't here much of the motor at higher speeds (where 25km/h is the limit here fopr the motor) or rough roads/during gravel use.
With the Vado SL and Levo SL almost no one here complains.

I personally was suprised about the noise during my first test ride. Now riding my Creo freqently I don't bother in Level1 or with Level2+3 near the limit of 25km/h when the wind gets louder or on rough roads (which is 50-60% of my tours). Only at very steep hills AND smooth asphalt with maybe 15km/h the noise disturbs me, but my gasps are louder...
But for someone only doing roads/asphalt and often strong uphills and in a group with others without motor I guess he/she would wish a more silent motor...

Yesterday I found lots of new paths nearby and rode more uphills than expected with only 60% battery at the beginning. So I had to do the last miles and the last few uphills alone. I was still surprised how easy this was with the Creo Evo. Normally with my gravelbike without motor I would be almost "dead" after a tour like this at the end. And with my last e-bike weighing 10kg more than the Creo it would be terrible uphill without motor. And also during the whole ride tour much less fun with the heavy bike. You (almost) don't feel the difference to a normal bike with the Creo/the SL.
Two years ago I was very surprised how versatile are gravel bikes, really "Go anwhere bikes" and I found my new passion here. This is even more true with the Creo, which extends your range, possible uphills and your motivation so much and with so less disadvantages (except the hole in your wallet...).

photo5310155659511180898 (1).jpg
photo5310155659511180900 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Back