Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I’m 79, 6’3,” 175#, and have had the Creo Comp EVO (XL) for over a month. I have ridden it 600 or so miles with the longest ride so far around 40 miles. I find it extremely satisfying and comfortable, the drop bars allowing me to vary my position on the bike. Though some pan them, I even find the flared drops more comfortable than straight ones when using them.
How's the battery range? Did you get the range extender?

How's the battery range? Did you get the range extender?
Didn’t get the extender, waiting to see how well it did on internal battery alone. I’ve concluded I don’t need it.

My rides are on fairly level paved trails with elevation gains of around 300 feet. I find I can usually do about 70 miles with 2 bars (20%?) left. Almost always ride in “eco” but sometimes venture into “sport.” I usually maintain a speed between 17 and 20 mph. No range apprehension as the bike is as easy to pedal without power as my late 1980’s Trek aluminum 1500.

Didn’t get the extender, waiting to see how well it did on internal battery alone. I’ve concluded I don’t need it.

My rides are on fairly level paved trails with elevation gains of around 300 feet. I find I can usually do about 70 miles with 2 bars (20%?) left. Almost always ride in “eco” but sometimes venture into “sport.” I usually maintain a speed between 17 and 20 mph. No range apprehension as the bike is as easy to pedal without power as my late 1980’s Trek aluminum 1500.
You're an inspiration Seeya and that's amazing mileage out of a 320Wa battery. I may be in sport mode more than eco but if I can get 40-50 miles out of a charge I'll be happy. My rides are similar but I want to do more county road riding (some dirt & gravel) hence my interest in the EVO.

Hi,

my name is Jo and I live in Germany, southeast from Frankfurt.
I’m 49 now, doing a lot of “allday cycling” since I’m 19, many years instead of having a car. The last 7 years I used a speed or S-pedelec to get to work. That’s what we call here the ones which can support over 25km/h up to 45km/h, but which have several disadvantages here, need of driving license, insurance, license plate and lots of restrictrictions and certifications, for drivers and manufacturers. That’s why all these are quite heavy, even with strong motors and big batteries. But there’s nothing like a Creo, not one light pedelec with just little support over 25km/h.
We moved last year, now it’s to far to cycle all day to work, so I do more tours with my gravelbike in my free time. Due to more mountains around now, this is more interesting, but at the moment with more than 100kg weight it’s challenging. Without motor I’m often tired and a little bit frustrated already after one hour. With the speed pedelec with lowest motor support it’s fine and enough range, but the weight of the bicycle is terrible, around 25kg. Also unpaved roads are often illegal as it’s classified as a small motor cycle here and you aren’t allowed to change several parts (e.g. tires).
I tried a Creo two mounths ago and was really excited, I’ve never tried such an E-bike/pedelec which feels less like like one, this would be perfect for me! I only disliked the price and the motor noise…
Specialized lowered the price (here?) for the lowest two Creos 2.5 weeks ago and I finally found a serious local dealer which offered at least a small discount, so I had to pay about 1000 € less than most dealers still wanted in June. Still a terrible price for the simple components, but enough to push me, so I ordered a Creo Comp Carbon Evo in XL, which I ride since tuesday.

Sorry, for the long introduction, but pedelecs and their speed limitations are different here, what I wanted to explain. Also the Creo is not very popular (other than the Levo SL) here, as most people who prefer racing handlebars (is that the right expression?) or racing bicycles are very conservative and believe all motor support only for old or fat or disbled people. An E racing bicycle is still a no-go for 99% of them. Therefore there’s also not much discussion and exchange about the Creo, that’s why I registered here.

It may be right, that a fit and light rider will have less benefit from/less need for a Creo and also the speed limit here makes it less usefull in flat areas. I cycled thursday to work, 40km with 170 hm and did not feel much benefit. Back home there are more hm and two long and stressing uphills, but overall not to terrible for 40km. Altogether I wouldn’t buy a Creo for this and stay with my normal gravelbike.
But with hills and mountains it’s completely different. Today I did 60km with 730hm and was really tired. But never “dead” or insane what would have been the case without motor after the first or second mountain. I used exactly half of the battery (which is about 20-30% of the electrical energy I would need with the speed pedelec, depending on the support level). So I think it’s obvious that’s far from swinging eggs. Instead the Creo pushes you to go further, to do even a dertour or a hill more than you would normally do. Even if you’re fit and light.
Maybe I will have less or no more need in a few years for the Creo in perfect shape. But if this happens it has done a good job for me and my health.

To the technical part: Disappointing at the comp is the simple and heavy sprocket cassette, but that’s quiet easy to change. Worse are the simple wheels combined with the proprietary axle size. I’m not an expert in wheels, but I had several times in strong uphills with the lowest gears and in fast rough downhills the impressions that the 24 hole rear wheel is quite flimsy at my weight. I have a 28 hole wheel set from an excellent wheel builder for my normal gravel bike with only the rear wheel around 200g lighter and perfectly strong and reliable in any situation even with my weight. So I will order a similar wheel set for the Creo, even if it hurts that I can’t use the old one/that the Creo does not simply use 12x100+12x142.

Hi,

I’m 49 now, doing a lot of “allday cycling” since I’m 19, many years instead of having a car. The last 7 years I used a speed or S-pedelec to get to work. That’s what we call here the ones which can support over 25km/h up to 45km/h, but which have several disadvantages here, need of driving license, insurance, license plate and lots of restrictrictions and certifications, for drivers and manufacturers. That’s why all these are quite heavy, even with strong motors and big batteries. But there’s nothing like a Creo, not one light pedelec with just little support over 25km/h.
We moved last year, now it’s to far to cycle all day to work, so I do more tours with my gravelbike in my free time. Due to more mountains around now, this is more interesting, but at the moment with more than 100kg weight it’s challenging. Without motor I’m often tired and a little bit frustrated already after one hour. With the speed pedelec with lowest motor support it’s fine and enough range, but the weight of the bicycle is terrible, around 25kg. Also unpaved roads are often illegal as it’s classified as a small motor cycle here and you aren’t allowed to change several parts (e.g. tires).
I tried a Creo two mounths ago and was really excited, I’ve never tried such an E-bike/pedelec which feels less like like one, this would be perfect for me! I only disliked the price and the motor noise…
Specialized lowered the price (here?) for the lowest two Creos 2.5 weeks ago and I finally found a serious local dealer which offered at least a small discount, so I had to pay about 1000 € less than most dealers still wanted in June. Still a terrible price for the simple components, but enough to push me, so I ordered a Creo Comp Carbon Evo in XL, which I ride since tuesday.

Sorry, for the long introduction, but pedelecs and their speed limitations are different here, what I wanted to explain. Also the Creo is not very popular (other than the Levo SL) here, as most people who prefer racing handlebars (is that the right expression?) or racing bicycles are very conservative and believe all motor support only for old or fat or disbled people. An E racing bicycle is still a no-go for 99% of them. Therefore there’s also not much discussion and exchange about the Creo, that’s why I registered here.

It may be right, that a fit and light rider will have less benefit from/less need for a Creo and also the speed limit here makes it less usefull in flat areas. I cycled thursday to work, 40km with 170 hm and did not feel much benefit. Back home there are more hm and two long and stressing uphills, but overall not to terrible for 40km. Altogether I wouldn’t buy a Creo for this and stay with my normal gravelbike.
But with hills and mountains it’s completely different. Today I did 60km with 730hm and was really tired. But never “dead” or insane what would have been the case without motor after the first or second mountain. I used exactly half of the battery (which is about 20-30% of the electrical energy I would need with the speed pedelec, depending on the support level). So I think it’s obvious that’s far from swinging eggs. Instead the Creo pushes you to go further, to do even a dertour or a hill more than you would normally do. Even if you’re fit and light.
Maybe I will have less or no more need in a few years for the Creo in perfect shape. But if this happens it has done a good job for me and my health.

To the technical part: Disappointing at the comp is the simple and heavy sprocket cassette, but that’s quiet easy to change. Worse are the simple wheels combined with the proprietary axle size. I’m not an expert in wheels, but I had several times in strong uphills with the lowest gears and in fast rough downhills the impressions that the 24 hole rear wheel is quite flimsy at my weight. I have a 28 hole wheel set from an excellent wheel builder for my normal gravel bike with only the rear wheel around 200g lighter and perfectly strong and reliable in any situation even with my weight. So I will order a similar wheel set for the Creo, even if it hurts that I can’t use the old one/that the Creo does not simply use 12x100+12x142.

Jo, Welcome to EBR, and thanks for your commentary.

On monday 13th of July here (or in whole Europe?) the alloy E5 was lowered from 4699 to 4499 Euro and the Comps from 6499 to 5999 Euro, th other versions unchanged. It was exactly the day I tried the E5 and wanted to order, but was unsure between E5 and Comp Evo. I came home from the dealer and wanted to compare the two versions once more when I saw the new prices. Seems like Specialized wanted to make the decision easier for me... ;-)
Still to much money for the used components.
As I said, the Creo is not very popular here, maybe the new prices to sell a few more. But I don't know why they didn't lower also the prices for the higher models, which are even more overpriced. Maybe the usual Experte and S-Works customers here don't care if they spend a monthly salary more or less...

So there is a new version (quiet) motor for the Creo??
I guess so.
Compared to old one is like night and day. And there was nothing wrong with old one, it was just like that from the start, which I presumed was OK as SL Levos with the same motor have been also quite load at the launch.
But new Vado has much quieter motor so I guess all new SL and Creo also got the same treatment now.

Hi,

;) 🤫

need of driving license
From when is the driving license needed to ride the L1e-B moped? No. Neither in Poland nor in Germany :) Registration, insurance, certificate of conformity, all-day lights, horn, helmet, cannot ride bike-paths - true. No driving license required though. (I can show you the proper points of the EU law if you want. When I was inspected by a policeman, he was a real nuisance but the only thing he never asked me for was the driving license).

That’s why all these are quite heavy, even with strong motors and big batteries.
Not true. My Vado 5.0 Euro S-Pedelec (2017) weighs 24 kg, same as my Giant Trance E+ 2 Pro e-MTB Class 1. (I don't even want to know what you used to ride... 100 f*n' kilograms?!)

so I ordered a Creo Comp Carbon Evo in XL, which I ride since tuesday.
Sincere congratulations!

I have two comments:
  1. If you knew it before, you would be riding Specialized Turbo Vado 6.0. which is the only Specialized Euro S-Pedelec available today. Haibike also makes S-Pedelecs in Germany, similar weight. Riese & Muller, too (but the latter are heavier and very expensive).
  2. With Creo SL, you surely need to de-restrict it, sorry. While the 25 km/h e-MTB makes sense, as you don't ride faster than 25 km/h off-road (unless it is downhill), a road bike limited to 25 km/h is a sheer stupidity of our law-makers...

Last edited:
Stefan, I don't know why you focus so much an speed pedelecs, which ist not the point in this thread, it was just to explain how I came to the Creo.
You need don't need necessarily a car driving license here for s-pedelecs but at least a L1e-B/"moped" license. I have a few friends which would like to ride a s-pedelec but don't (want to) have any driving license so they can't. Even if the chance of a real control is still small.

I know several s-pedelec brands and models, which means the legal ones here in Germany supporting up to 45km/h and there is no light one. 24kg is an average weight for a s-pedelec and still has a big influence for riding characteristics compared to 12-14kg. Have you ever tried a Creo or a Vado SL?

I don't see the need for offending me (or you...) or what my (over)weight has to do with the bike weight? Also fat drivers don't like heavy bikes and take advantage and enjoy light ones.

It's a pity that's a bike the Creo is under the 25km/h restriction here and yes, the laws here are stupid there. But the Creo has no "wall" at or over 25km/h, you don't feel when the motor fades our or comes back. In this point it's the best 25km/h E-bike I'v ever ridden. And it's not useless with the limit, it's great for hilly areas and tours, where I'm usually unable to keep 25km/h uphill and exactly for this I bought the Creo (not for cycling to work). So motor assistance up to 32 or 45km/h would be nice for me, but not mandatory. I needed let's say an "encouragement" uphill to have more freedom in length and choice of my tours in the mountains here. Others seem to think similar, as I knew several riders here with a Creo more fit and less fat than I.
Maybe my first post was too long and to be misunderstood somewhere?

Last edited:
to be misunderstood somewhere?

@jodi2,
I must admit I misunderstood you to some extent. True, Germany requires at least a moped driving license to operate the L1e-B (no such requirement for Poland). True, you mentioned your own weight of 100 kg; I weighed 107.5 when I bought S-Vado 5.0 (and I weigh 89 kg now); I have never had trouble riding my Vado 5.0 at high speed. I really meant no offence -- I misunderstood you.

Now, you say 24 kg is a lot for an e-bike. The true fact is most of good "full-power" e-bikes weigh the same (I own three of them). The SL e-bikes are very special because these are so lightweight but since the level of the support (and torque) is lower than in the "full power" (or "heavy") e-bike, the SL e-bikes require the rider is healthy and fit. It is not that it is an e-bike for everyone.

You have asked if I tried the SL. No, I haven't. I tried a 9 kg traditional bike to find my ill legs don't let me ride such a bike. I need at least 200 W of actual assistance to feel comfy on a "heavy" e-bike, is it L1e-B or a normal 25 km/h e-bike.

I am very glad that you bought the Creo SL. I also appreciate the fact it helps negotiating hills and headwind. I have heard from other users there is no "wall effect" at 25 km/h on Creo SL, which is a very good thing if you can pedal faster. So I sincerely congratulate you buying that e-bike.

No intention to offending you whatsoever! It was my own fault. I am sorry if you thought otherwise.

Cheers!
Stefan

I weighed 107.5 when I bought S-Vado 5.0 (and I weigh 89 kg now); I have never had trouble riding my Vado 5.0 at high speed.
I rode overall three s-pedelecs the last 7 years to get to work with almost 50.000km. But I was able to keep my weight... ;-)

Now, you say 24 kg is a lot for an e-bike. The true fact is most of good "full-power" e-bikes weigh the same (I own three of them). The SL e-bikes are very special because these are so lightweight but since the level of the support (and torque) is lower than in the "full power" (or "heavy") e-bike, the SL e-bikes require the rider is healthy and fit. It is not that it is an e-bike for everyone.
I also must admit that the Vado/the Brose motor is one of the few systems I haven't tried yet, maybe it's better in same points than other S-peds.
I also didn't want to say, that a Creo in general is better than a s-pedelec. These are great for riding middle-distances very fast (even better if it's flat) and with less sweat and exhaustion , e.g. to get to work. I'm a lot slower with the Creo and I sweat and gasp a lot more, it would be a bad idea to use it all day to cycle to work and than join my colleagues without a shower... ;-) But in my free time in the mountains I prefer the Creo much more and chances are better to reach your weight soon! ;-)

Cheers!
Joachim

Joachim,

Let me share my own experience. As I have said, I personally need to ride a powerful e-bike. However, my beloved brother is healthy, slim and fit. I lent him my Vado for a month once. He was making his 2x17 km work commutes typically riding at 45 km/h (and often supported the bike himself by strong pedalling) to be at 47. I told my brother he actually didn't need such a powerful e-bike and he would be happy with the Vado SL or Creo. He replied he wouldn't like to be limited at 25 km/h... He'd rather buy the Vado 6.0 and limited the PAS using Mission Control. Or, he'd buy a lightweight traditional bike.

Such a life! Different needs, different products available. And that's very very good.

I am in the USA and seriously considering the Creo. I am a pretty fit rider but I am also 63 so the stamina is not like it used to be for sure. I have rode two Trek Fazua bikes and did not like them. I thought they were pretty under powered and quite honestly both bikes had a creaking noise from the seat post. It would drive me nuts in the long term. I hope to test a Creo here in the next week. These test reports from owners are very good to read. Thank you.

I am in the USA and seriously considering the Creo. I am a pretty fit rider but I am also 63 so the stamina is not like it used to be for sure. I have rode two Trek Fazua bikes and did not like them. I thought they were pretty under powered and quite honestly both bikes had a creaking noise from the seat post. It would drive me nuts in the long term. I hope to test a Creo here in the next week. These test reports from owners are very good to read. Thank you.
I'm not sure why you think the Creo has more power. Comparing the motor specs, the Fazua has more torque and power. As a minimum, I would expect them to perform similarly.

Back