Specialized Turbo Creo 28mph Electric Road Bike

I bought a Turbo Creo Comp Carbon a month ago thinking I would put the Evo tires on the included DT wheels, and buy a $1200 set of the upgraded carbon c38 wheels found on the upper range Creos and put my original road tires on them, and disc's. Then I could just swap out wheels for gravel vs road. Good plan, right?
Well, imagine my surprise when I discovered Specialized does not yet offer these wheels as an upgrade, and that particular hub size is proprietary! I just want to buy a set of the c38's, and can't! At least yet...
Specialized, please make these available. This is not serving your customer...
With this and 6 bolts Rotors, you should be able to fit these wheels on Creo.
100 to 110mm
142 to 148mm
I unfortunately, already bought nice, cheap, light Fulcrum 4 DB 35mm wheelset, that now dont fit on Creo, as Fulcrum do not support 6 bolt rotors with adapters.

My Creo actually came with PLASTIC pedals, on a $6,500 bike!
The factory website specified the "Specialized Dirt" pedals which are actually good for me. But alas, they gave me a cheap pedal as well.

Attachments

• Specialized Dirt.jpg
    Specialized Dirt.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 350
Be careful when using adaptors for the rear. There is a technical reason why Specialized use Boost 148x12 and that is to align the chain line due to the wide Q Factor.

For the front it will be best to use a Boost 110x15 hub and then add an adaptor (15 -> 12). 10 mm is huge difference from 100x12.

Be careful when using adaptors for the rear. There is a technical reason why Specialized use Boost 148x12 and that is to align the chain line due to the wide Q Factor.

For the front it will be best to use a Boost 110x15 hub and then add an adaptor (15 -> 12). 10 mm is huge difference from 100x12.
I have been looking for an adaptor but all of them are 100 mm wide, can't find any that are 110 mm. Do you know of a source?

I have been looking for an adaptor but all of them are 100 mm wide, can't find any that are 110 mm. Do you know of a source?
Didn't you read 3 post up?:p

And you have this adaptors on ebay and aliexpress, but 15x110mm for the front. For the back would be usable on Creo.

I won't use those rear adaptors as they simply make your 142x12 hub fit a 148x12 but will not address the optimal chainline. The purpose of the Boost 148x12 is to move the cassette 3mm away from the frame centerline.

I won't use those rear adaptors as they simply make your 142x12 hub fit a 148x12 but will not address the optimal chainline. The purpose of the Boost 148x12 is to move the cassette 3mm away from the frame centerline.

Don't know, do you think that this Boost Dt Swiss(Roval) hubs for this Creo are completely different than standard? I was looking at the shop and it seems that on the front they just use longer hub end cap for each side, same as you would be using this spacers.
But, considering that the rotors are center lock and must be pushed outwards 3mm on the rear, I must be wrong and the hubs are indeed completely new Boost specific, wider not just wider end cap, at least for the rear. 🤔

Anyway, I give up on adapters and just order this instead.😟
Outer width is ridiculous 32mm, like new Enve 3.4 ARC

We will see next week, when Alu creo comes, what the weight would be, with some small additional upgrades.

Last edited:
I did read the bit about the spacers but that doesn't help me. I have MTB Boost wheelsets. In fact I have a Boost wheelset that is still sitting in the box. The rear is 148x12 and I believe I can use that no problem. The issue is the front wheel is 110 x 15 so I don't need a spacer to go from 100 to 110 mm. I need something that will sit inside the hub to reduce the diameter from 15 mm to 12 mm. They do exist but all I can find is them in 100 mm width which makes sense because up until the Creo I don't think there has been 110 x 12 wheels.

I like the Carbon wheelset you posted, but if I'm going to buy a nice set of carbon wheels I want narrower because I would want them for road use and have options for 23, 25 and 28 mm tires. That wheelset is going to be too wide for those tires. At least I know DT makes a 110 x 12 hub and I suppose I could buy the hubs and get custom wheels built.

For the time being I'm just going to ride the bike as is and hopefully in another year there will be a lot more options.

I did read the bit about the spacers but that doesn't help me. I have MTB Boost wheelsets. In fact I have a Boost wheelset that is still sitting in the box. The rear is 148x12 and I believe I can use that no problem. The issue is the front wheel is 110 x 15 so I don't need a spacer to go from 100 to 110 mm. I need something that will sit inside the hub to reduce the diameter from 15 mm to 12 mm. They do exist but all I can find is them in 100 mm width which makes sense because up until the Creo I don't think there has been 110 x 12 wheels.

I like the Carbon wheelset you posted, but if I'm going to buy a nice set of carbon wheels I want narrower because I would want them for road use and have options for 23, 25 and 28 mm tires. That wheelset is going to be too wide for those tires. At least I know DT makes a 110 x 12 hub and I suppose I could buy the hubs and get custom wheels built.

For the time being I'm just going to ride the bike as is and hopefully in another year there will be a lot more options.
Aha using MTB wheelset. Yes you are right for the front, would be a challenge to find correct adapters.
Regarding the wide rims, I was also surprised how wide they are, but when I did a research, it won't be a problem.
I will also use Creo strictly on the road and today 23mm tires are obsolete, nobody ride them any more on the road, why would they.
For example ENVE 3.4 AR with 32mm outer diameter, recommended tire is 28-32mm. I was planning to use 28mm anyway, even on my road bike, so would be also perfectly ok for this wide rim.
I think, even 25mm will get surprised with 28mm very soon, even in Pro peleton, where 25mm is a standard today and more and more are going with 28mm, especially now on Classic races and our roads are similar, like riding on a cobbles.... :eek:
Wider tire and wide rim is better in any circumstance. This test shows that even 32 is faster tire, have less rolling resistance, you have additionally comfort, less chance for pinch flats, more grip in the cornes.
Wide rims are now proven to me faster, so win win for the road use in this case even if I put on 32mm tire.
Slight weight penalty, regarding wider wheels and heavier tire, really doesn't matter, compared how much Watts you save with aerodynamic, ooo a forgot it is Creo.....🤣
I have new Bora WTO 60 on my road bike and it is 27.5mm wide like Roval also quite wide.
Rimes are getting wider and wider. 28mm and even 32mm will soon be something normal to put on a road bike as all brands are slowly starting to produce only disk version road bikes, that allows that, like Specialized.

Last edited:
I had read that comparison as well and I think they say the blanket notion that wider is faster was premature. They say once you adjust for comfort level that they're about the same and then aerodynamic issues come into play.

My takeaway is that if you're smaller, lighter guy you can ride narrower tires at the same comfort level and get the aerodynamic benefits.

In the past 8 years I've been commuting by bike, I've also given up drinking pop and juice. As a result I've gone from 195 lbs. down to 160 lbs. If I get a lot of riding in I think I can drop to 155 lbs. and at that point I think 25s work well for me. I've been riding 25s on my Cervelo and find it plenty comfortable. But I agree a 28 is narrow enough that I might consider that wheelset. Still I'd like the option of running a 23 or 25 so will think about it.

As you say the trend is going wider so even if I wait a year to see what's offered, it could be that everything available is just for wider tires. It's not something so important to me that I'll hold out for the ability to run 23 or 25, but if I can get that option without much hassle then I think I'll go for it.

Don't know, do you think that this Boost Dt Swiss(Roval) hubs for this Creo are completely different than standard? ...
The Boost 148x12 is standard amongst manufacturers, and shifted the cassette 3mm away from the center of the frame which makes sense in the Creo SL as it has a large Q factor.
Captain Slow said:
The issue is the front wheel is 110 x 15 so I don't need a spacer to go from 100 to 110 mm. I need something that will sit inside the hub to reduce the diameter from 15 mm to 12 mm. They do exist but all I can find is them in 100 mm width which makes sense because up until the Creo I don't think there has been 110 x 12 wheels.
Gotcha, in my case I planned on 3D printing the adaptor using carbon fiber filled filament. I don't know the longevity, but I will give it a try.

I plan to have another wheelset made using either Shimano SLX (148x12, 110x15) or Novatec Boost hubs and custom carbon fiber rims (we have a local builder who does an excellent job)

The Boost 148x12 is standard amongst manufacturers, and shifted the cassette 3mm away from the center of the frame which makes sense in the Creo SL as it has a large Q factor.

Gotcha, in my case I planned on 3D printing the adaptor using carbon fiber filled filament. I don't know the longevity, but I will give it a try.

I plan to have another wheelset made using either Shimano SLX (148x12, 110x15) or Novatec Boost hubs and custom carbon fiber rims (we have a local builder who does an excellent job)
DT Swiss 350 Hubs are nice and smooth, available with Boost spacing. As are most nice hubs out there. I just built up a nice set for my Vado.

I had read that comparison as well and I think they say the blanket notion that wider is faster was premature. They say once you adjust for comfort level that they're about the same and then aerodynamic issues come into play.

My takeaway is that if you're smaller, lighter guy you can ride narrower tires at the same comfort level and get the aerodynamic benefits.

In the past 8 years I've been commuting by bike, I've also given up drinking pop and juice. As a result I've gone from 195 lbs. down to 160 lbs. If I get a lot of riding in I think I can drop to 155 lbs. and at that point I think 25s work well for me. I've been riding 25s on my Cervelo and find it plenty comfortable. But I agree a 28 is narrow enough that I might consider that wheelset. Still I'd like the option of running a 23 or 25 so will think about it.

As you say the trend is going wider so even if I wait a year to see what's offered, it could be that everything available is just for wider tires. It's not something so important to me that I'll hold out for the ability to run 23 or 25, but if I can get that option without much hassle then I think I'll go for it.
I was one of the first to ride 25mm among our different road groups here, way back in 2010/2012 I think and was amazed ,going from 22 tubulars, how more confidence I hade in corners and how smooth it was. Now I tried 28mm on a Gravel, that I just got for a week and that too felt miles better than 25. 25mm now feels like 22 tubular back than, don't know why.
On top of that, if you don't have polished silk nice roads, getting bigger tire is the way to go. I think will never buy 25mm again. Weight really doesn't matter, if you have 60kg or 90kg, hitting that hole and multiple bumps on the road, bigger tire would soften that way better. So I really don't see the point of running even 25mm today if you have rims that are 27mm+ wide like Roval, Campagnolo, etc... as the tire is not faster you only get 20+20g weight penalty. Riding 23mm .... OMG :eek: , my friend was on 23mm last week as he got replacement wheelset, o the horrors, how skinny that looks.
Didn't see that in a while, I couldn't imagine how we use to ride this or even 21mm that I ride for a bref time, just to get the bike near 6kg. 19mm back in the golden era, than must me fun....

I had a Colnago with 26mm Vittoria tires on it. Really nice tire. Then I rode a gravel bike with high quality 42mm tires on it, a more road-oriented large tire. What a difference. There are so many really nice, big tires out now that I cannot see me ever going below 30mm again.

I have 23mm tires on my Wilier as the rear is so tight a 25 won't fit. The difference between those and the 38 gravel tires on my Creo is like night and day.

Yesterday I did a bit of exploring on the Juan Bautista De Anza National Historic Trail that runs through our area of southern Arizona. It's a gravel trail, some sections are smooth while others are real sketchy. I rode 16 miles at an average speed of 9 mph and when I got home I found I had 97% of the battery left! If I could be that efficient on the road at an average 16 mph I could get almost 500 miles out of the Creo battery. That aint gonna happen. LOL

Back in November, I ordered an XS Creo Expert. It was scheduled to be delivered in March, and to my surprise, it arrived on March 13.

I've now put over 100 miles on my new Creo, and here are my impressions:

—The range is IMPRESSIVE. I am getting 3.5 miles/wh on some of Boulder's classic climbs IN SPORT MODE (granted I am a very small rider, 128 Ibs). With the Range Extender, it’ll take some heroic rides for me to use it all up. 🙂

—It's extremely well balanced and light (28 lbs without pedals). I felt very comfortable on my first ride.

—The Future Shock is miraculous. The bumps in the road just disappear.

—The ability to have MY power viewed on my Garmin is wonderful (like getting a free power meter).

—I love the 1x setup. I realize this is a personal preference, but I have not missed the 2nd chainring. And I am a spinner to boot.

—The motor is not whisper quiet. It's not loud, by any means, but you're most likely not going to stealthily cruise by someone.

I've been cycling for over 30 years, and can't even begin to count the bikes I’ve owned. This Creo, however, may just be the best (and most fun) I’ve ever ridden.

Back