Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

I transport my Como 5.0 Low Entry using two racks on different vehicles. My first rack is Küat NV 2.0, with bike securement by tension rod over the front tire- this sort of works OK on the Como 5.0 because the front "pizza" rack takes the compression force, not the fender. The second rack I acquired is Thule Easyfold XT2. For me, the Thule rack actually works much better with my bike, my vehicle, and two German shepherds. This Thule rack is pricey for what it is– a dramatically different design -but I like it. Out of the box, it is said to work with both 1 1/4" and 2" receivers. Checkout this detailed thread with photos.

Last edited:
GSD Dad and Mutiny Guy,

That is a nice rack. Do you have 2" hitches on your vehicles?

Yes, I bought it a Draw-Tite Bolt on 2” hitch. It took more time to jack up and secure the car than it did to instal the hitch. Luckily it was super easy.

I also use the Thule Easy-Fold XT2. Installed on a 2011 Camry with 1 1/4" hitch, and now installed on our 2018 RAV4 with a 2" inch. A bit more stable with the 2" hitch, but works fine on both. It comes with an adapter that supports both.

I carry my 2015 Specialized Turbo (weight 55-60 lbs) and usually one more regular bike.

At age 70, bought my first electric bike, a Como 2.0. I had the display upgraded to work with Mission Control. Love the bike.

Picture of me and my riding partner.

Attachments

• E7967E68-90D8-48C9-AFD6-BBE3806492A6.jpeg
    E7967E68-90D8-48C9-AFD6-BBE3806492A6.jpeg
    238.7 KB · Views: 524
Had my local bike store swap out the computer (and all the other stuff) for the new computer that works with Mission Control. Only rode three miles with it today and had to duck into a park shelter halfway through those three miles to sit out a downpour. While in the shelter, I paired the new computer with Mission Control. So far, I am loving it! AND, the LBS did it under warranty. I am in my first year with my Como 2.0. Will explore using it more tomorrow. Really looking forward to the SMART RIDE function.

Been playing with Mission Control since swapping out the BLOKS system for the TCD-W system. I LOVE the way you can set standard and peak power for each of the settings. It's like having a continuously variable transmission. Smooth as silk.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.png
    IMG_0093.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 579
So, one thing I notice about both systems - BLOKS and TCD-W... the bike reports that it is going faster and farther than either of my GPS units (Garmin Explore 1000 and Apple Watch GPS with Strava, as well as any iOS app) and I think that has to do with an inaccurate 2255 mm circumference for the wheels on the COMO, which have huge tires that I think add to the circumference. On a 20 mile ride (according to the GPS), the bike will report I went about 21.5 miles. When I am going 17.5 mph (according to the GPS), the bike will report I am going 19.3 mph). As a result, I have an odometer with over 1500 miles on it, but I think that's probably inflated by about 10-15%. Will talk with my local bike store and see if they can reduce the circumference reading in the COMO's software so that it's more accurate. I tried the hacking methods, using LightBlue, that USED to work, but they don't work with the latest firmware. Specialized figured it out and shut it down.

EDIT: Not only did they shut it down, but Mission Control won't remember the settings any more. I am hoping a firmware setup will correct that. In addition, I've opened a ticket with Specialized about the mileage/speed discrepancy. Waiting to hear back. Here is a shot of all three devices and how they recorded today's ride:

Strava on iOS: 24.7 miles
Garmin Edge Explore 1000: 24.48 miles
Specialized TCD-W: 26.08 miles

The Garmin and iOS GPS readings are close enough for rock and roll, but the Specialized reading is a mile and a half more than the average of the other two. I think I need a more accurate circumference figure for my bike. It's set at 2255, but my actual circumference is 2294.8

Anyway, working trying to get the bike to be more accurate.

Attachments

• IMG_0104.jpeg
    IMG_0104.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 554
  • Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 4.18.31 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-14 at 4.18.31 PM.png
    437.3 KB · Views: 451
Last edited:
Thanks for the talk about the display panel. I bought my como 3.o in the fall and the display is terrible. I can't re- set the clock from Military time. neither could the retailer. The distance doesn't seem to work correctly I suppose I just have to have them send it back to the MFg/ This is my first ebike and I don't know what to compare it to.. but I find that it runs out of power relatively quickly- 5-15 miles and I often don't use the power except on hills/
Anyone have similar issues?

thanks

Thanks for the talk about the display panel. I bought my como 3.o in the fall and the display is terrible. I can't re- set the clock from Military time. neither could the retailer. The distance doesn't seem to work correctly I suppose I just have to have them send it back to the MFg/ This is my first ebike and I don't know what to compare it to.. but I find that it runs out of power relatively quickly- 5-15 miles and I often don't use the power except on hills/
Anyone have similar issues?

thanks

First, congratulations, sort of. I am sorry to hear of your issues. Let's tackle them one at a time...

1. Which display do you have? Does it look like the one in the lower left of the picture I posted two posts above? That's the latest version - the TCD-W. Prior to that, they had a BLOKS display. I got my Como 2.0 last fall and it came with the BLOKS. I had my local bike store change it to the newest one, so I could take advantage of the tools in their Mission Control app. They did it under warranty, so, chances are you can get yours replaced for free under warranty as well.

2. You should be getting better range. Which mode do you use? Economy, Sport, or Turbo? I generally use Economy with a kick into sport for a steeper hill, and I'm getting about 40-45 miles per charge. I know you have a bigger battery in yours and can ride faster. My 2.0 won't exceed 20mph.

So, I'd say unless you are in Turbo mode, screaming at 28mph up hills against the wind, you might have a bike with some issues. Hopefully you'll bring this up with your bike dealer - I am assuming you bought it new.

New to this forum and thread and thought I'd post some observations and a question. My bride and I test rode '18 and '19 model Como 2.0's at the LBS and both came back with grins ear-to-ear. We've been bike riders for years, but in our upper 60's now our needs in frame geometry have changed greatly and the Como felt very good to both of us. As I studied the specs on the '18, '19 and '20 models (LBS didn't have 20's in stock), it appears that for 2020 they have eliminated the 2.0 and lowered the specs on the 3.0 to be essentially a '19 2.0 with the addition of lights and the new computer (TCD-w), and dropped the price to $100 over the '19 2.0. It has the 460 battery, 2-A charger, 1.2E motor, and all the components appear to be the same as the '19 2.0, including 9-speed Alivio.

I assume that this probably means that the 2020 3.0 is a Class-1 bike with assist limited to 20-mph, but I can't find that stated in the specs on the Specialized site anywhere. Anyone here have info on that question? Since we enjoyed the 2.0s so much and are unlikely to ever be in a situation where we want assist beyond 20-mph it's kind of a moot point, but I'm curious. We have two 2020 3.0s on order - hopefully here this week so I guess I'll be able to answer that question myself soon enough. ?

Thanks for all the great info in this thread - looking forward to joining you.

New to this forum and thread and thought I'd post some observations and a question. My bride and I test rode '18 and '19 model Como 2.0's at the LBS and both came back with grins ear-to-ear. We've been bike riders for years, but in our upper 60's now our needs in frame geometry have changed greatly and the Como felt very good to both of us. As I studied the specs on the '18, '19 and '20 models (LBS didn't have 20's in stock), it appears that for 2020 they have eliminated the 2.0 and lowered the specs on the 3.0 to be essentially a '19 2.0 with the addition of lights and the new computer (TCD-w), and dropped the price to $100 over the '19 2.0. It has the 460 battery, 2-A charger, 1.2E motor, and all the components appear to be the same as the '19 2.0, including 9-speed Alivio.

I assume that this probably means that the 2020 3.0 is a Class-1 bike with assist limited to 20-mph, but I can't find that stated in the specs on the Specialized site anywhere. Anyone here have info on that question? Since we enjoyed the 2.0s so much and are unlikely to ever be in a situation where we want assist beyond 20-mph it's kind of a moot point, but I'm curious. We have two 2020 3.0s on order - hopefully here this week so I guess I'll be able to answer that question myself soon enough. ?

Thanks for all the great info in this thread - looking forward to joining you.

Interestingly, there is no more mention of speed on the Specialized site. However, when they were still showing the 2019 3.0 along with the 2020 3.0 - only a few weeks ago - they definitely made a point of saying that the 2020 would have the same top speed spec as the Como 2.0, where as the 2019 was still listed with a top of 28mph. But, you are right, that's now gone. So, I am going to say expect to top out at 20mph and be pleasantly surprised if you can go to 28!

I just picked up a Turbo Como 3.0 for my son, who needs it to commute around a pretty hilly area daily. We are similar size and fitness. I tried the bike last night on the hill near our house and even though I was able to make it to the top, it was much more effort than I expected, on Turbo mode in the easiest gear.

Is it possible to change to a smaller chainring (from 48T) to help with the hills?

I just picked up a Turbo Como 3.0 for my son, who needs it to commute around a pretty hilly area daily. We are similar size and fitness. I tried the bike last night on the hill near our house and even though I was able to make it to the top, it was much more effort than I expected, on Turbo mode in the easiest gear.

Is it possible to change to a smaller chainring (from 48T) to help with the hills?
It should definitely be possible. I changed on my Vado from 48 to 40 (Specialized oem) and Como and Vado looks to be very much the same when it comes to drive train. My bike ( EU model) is restricted to 16mph and I like the higher cadence.
If this Como 3.0 is a 28mph bike and you or your son plan to ride faster than 20mph a lot then maybe maybe you should give it a second thought.
It’s easy for a bicycle mechanic to change a chainring. I also had the plastic chain guard exchanged to a smaller to fit the chainring.

It should definitely be possible. I changed on my Vado from 48 to 40 (Specialized oem) and Como and Vado looks to be very much the same when it comes to drive train. My bike ( EU model) is restricted to 16mph and I like the higher cadence.
If this Como 3.0 is a 28mph bike and you or your son plan to ride faster than 20mph a lot then maybe maybe you should give it a second thought.
It’s easy for a bicycle mechanic to change a chainring. I also had the plastic chain guard exchanged to a smaller to fit the chainring.

It may be a 2020 3.0 which is only a 20mph bike - it sort of is the 2.0 and 3.0 combined, with the lower specs of the 2.0. At least that's what was on their site about a month ago. There seems to be no mention of speed for any of the 2020 models as of about a week ago.

As far as getting up a hill with Turbo engaged - while I live in a flat area, there are a couple of hills of 10% grade. I find turbo on my 2.0 is incredibly easy to scale such hills. Not sure how I'd do in San Francisco, mind you. I am 6ft and 205 lbs, 65 years old and not exactly "trim".

Right, it's a 20mph bike. But I am positive he will care way more about hills than speed at first.
With a 40 tooth chainring he can still go 20mph, he just has to pedal a little faster.
Would be interesting to hear if your LBS has an opinion on changing the chainring. My dealer just said ”Ok we’ll fix that” when I ordered my Vado 5.0 with the smaller chainring ( I had to pay $60 for the chainring and guard but they changed it for free as part of delivery service of a new bike)

Back