Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

Well I sacrificed an amazing day of Bike Riding to take a drive over to Biketoberfest in Fairfax, Ca. My mission was to get a hold of somebody from Specialized, I heard they were going to be there but they weren't! I did manage to talk to the President of a Large Bike Shop that sells Specialized bikes (won't mention names here to protect the innocent) but he was fully aware of the Mission Control App, or should I say the lack of it for the Vado and Como Bikes. His quote to me was "Specialized isn't going to forget the Vado and Como bikes, and they hope to have something resolved so the app will work by spring of next year". So it looks like we have another shot at the Mission Impossible App.:p Time will tell! Till then I'm still riding with or without it!

I did demo ride a couple other bikes, still like my Como Better, one of the bikes i rode was more than double the price of the Como.

just checking in at 1,001 miles. Many of the outings are 5 to 7 miles, so I feel pretty good at posting 1000 miles.

The neighborhoods here are very steep hills, as an example, Jan and I went out on Sunday; I was at 18 miles for the trip and ran out of power. I was at full assist on these steep hills. Other times I can get 40 miles out of it on mostly flat land.

just checking in at 1,001 miles. Many of the outings are 5 to 7 miles, so I feel pretty good at posting 1000 miles.

The neighborhoods here are very steep hills, as an example, Jan and I went out on Sunday; I was at 18 miles for the trip and ran out of power. I was at full assist on these steep hills. Other times I can get 40 miles out of it on mostly flat land.
You broke the 1,000 mile mark, that's Awesome! It's been days since I rode my bike, I'm spending more time away from home than I like to right now! If I remember right I left off at 929 or 934 miles.

Man, my Day Job is killing me! It is really cutting into my bike riding! Anyway with fall in full swing now, I have managed to squeeze in a few miles and can now officially say I made it to and passed the 1,000 Mile mark! I know there are plenty of you guys that are way past me but I just wanted to report that my Como 3.0 has performed almost flawlessly (I had 1 experience where the screen didn't come to life when powered up but I had power assist, but came back home the next night and it worked just fine). The only thing I did was to put on a new chain around 500 miles, no problems just preventative maintenance. Also I'm only 4 1/2 months into this bike so I really didn't think I would hit 1,000 miles before the end of the year. I can say for certain this bike is probably one of the best things I have purchased for myself! It has provided me with a form of exercise, entertainment and stress relief all wrapped up in one neat package! When I am at home I'll hop on my bike to make the quick trips to store, bank, etc. (I'm still taking the truck to Home Depot bike hasn't replaced that yet). I'm also really glad I have the 3.0 because of the lighting, I know you can buy lights but that is just one more thing to put batteries in or to charge up. I like the fact that I can hit the button and I have a better than average Headlight and Tailight, with the days getting shorter I find myself riding more in the dark than I ever thought I would (the reflective sidewalls are also nice especially on a flat black bike at night). On my wife's Como 2.0 we have put on a light and tailight but not the same (she did buy a cheap setup) so she isn't riding with me after work. Yesterday was another real nice day on the American River Bike Trail these lower temps make riding real enjoyable! Happy riding everybody!!!!

Attachments

• 20181028_144736.jpg
    20181028_144736.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 432
Last edited:
Hi Bob. I have a Trek Super Commuter. But am thinking about the 3.0 for my girl friend. I live in FL.....so weather not a problem. Good to hear that you still like it.

I see there is a "new" Mission control app available. Has anyone tried it out yet on the 3.0?
I'm in Wisconsin, so we are in storage mode for a few more months. I'm hoping it now works.

Mission Control app version 2.0 does not support the Vado/Como. I have heard no news regarding this.

Mission Control app version 2.0 does not support the Vado/Como. I have heard no news regarding this.
I emailed Specialized about Mision Control and here is what they had to say....

Hello Terry,

Thanks for reaching out. First off let me say that I completely understand your frustration; I own a Vado model and have been patiently waiting for the Mission Control app to be compatible with my bike. I've looked into this and it sounds like the third party company that was supplying the head-units as well as developing the app that was promised to all of us here at Specialized has been failing to deliver. As a company we had no reason to believe that they would fail us so badly; making all of us here look silly. What I can tell you is that there is definitely something in the works that will allow the use of Mission Control and/or our Ride app in the near future. I apologize again for this delay and I hope that you'll hang in there with all of us here at Specialized.

Have a great day!

Wondering if anyone has a way to transport their Turbo Como? Mine the 5 low step
I use my Toyota Tacoma. I built a wooden "carrier" that goes in the bed and the front wheels drop into snuggly and then put a ratchet strap across the back wheels which then connects to the bed side rails. as soon as I get a chance I'll post some pictures.

Wondering if anyone has a way to transport their Turbo Como? Mine the 5 low step
I have a hitch mounted rack and it's pretty stout (Yakima) and easily removed. It does require mounting a trailer hitch to your car, but if you're at all good with tools, that's easy. Otherwise, you could have it mounted. But if you go the hitch rack route, make sure to get the one that has a tray to set the bike in. The ones that you hang the bike from the top tube won't work well with a step through frame. Also, I'm not sure if the hitch rack could support 2 or more heavy ebikes. I live in a somewhat big city and was easily able to choose from many quality racks at substantial savings on Craigslist.

I bought a Hollywood Bike Rack on Amazon. It says it will carry 2 Ebikes (up to 80 pounds each). I took mine on a trip over 700 miles round trip and it did great.

I also did another 200+ mile trip with two ebikes and it worked great again. My friends was the Como Turbo step through.

Attachments

• 47E92AEE-AAC1-422E-9ED9-003C66610958.jpeg
    47E92AEE-AAC1-422E-9ED9-003C66610958.jpeg
    268.4 KB · Views: 675
I bought a Hollywood Bike Rack on Amazon. It says it will carry 2 Ebikes (up to 80 pounds each). I took mine on a trip over 700 miles round trip and it did great.

I also did another 200+ mile trip with two ebikes and it worked great again. My friends was the Como Turbo step through.
I have the same rack and it does a great job...I also purchased the trike adapter and carry my recumbent trike without any issues...have had the rack for almost 6 years with zero issues...highly recommended!

Back