Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

I have had it about 2 weeks. I have close to 150 miles in it. I was in the same boat as you. Test rode a 2.0 but wanted the 3.0. Pulled the trigger without seeing a picture of one and don’t regret it one bit. So fun to ride. Commuting to work so I got fenders and a to peak max rack on it. Now the bag for my rack blocks the rear light so I need to move it. I also picked up a Kinect/bodyfloat 2.0 seatpost but I have not installed it yet.

Hi Volts & Adventure
After a long time I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Como 3.0 I'm in the Sacramento Area and the Ebikes aren't spoken of and just not too much info at any of the LBS. I had to drive to the Bay Area to try several e-bikes. Long story short is that I was able to ride the Como 2.0 and couldn't believe how comfortable it was, I even liked the Platinum Color (I wish the 3.0 came in that color), but I still haven't seen a 3.0 in person yet and the picture has been taken off Specialized web page (wondering what is happening with that). Also from reading your posts it appears that the seat has a built in tailight, can either of you send a picture of the stock tailight before you made changes just curious to what it looks like on the bike. The delivery date for my bike is June 20, 2018 (I hope it comes sooner). Now for the main Question I saw the Picture that Adventure posted for the rubber shim and I'm a little worried about the surging issue I would like to hear more from both of you if it happens again, I'm going to be riding on paved roads and paved trails but our roads are almost like riding off road.

Can't wait for my Bike!

The original seat is probably just fine, but at 61 and having not ridden in decades, I fairly quickly switched it out for an instantly plush Brooks B67 saddle and Kinekt sprung seatpost. Probably overkill, but I have zero attention on that area of my body now, so I'd say: success. , Before the seat change, I'd be going on rough gravel and it felt as if my eyes would jiggle out.

I'm 250 pounds, 6 foot 4 and appreciate the higher grade, bigger hubs and rims. I take the Como on some pretty rough single track trails and the wheels are still quite true and tight. The motor power has been so smooth it is undetectable and you forget the bike is motor powered and I imagine I'm a young superman.

I've owned Corvettes for years and am familiar with the admiring attention it can bring from other guys. The wicked looking black bike reminds me of that. It's got that charisma, where I'll see their unbroken gaze at it and I'll enjoy their questions.

I didn't get mine to commute, just fun. It sure has gotten me off the couch.

como at fort.jpg

In the attached images. The shim should align with the raised section on the battery. This is the raised area above the Specialized branding.

I was informed I will have to go back in at some point when the shim is no longer putting enough pressure on the battery to make a good contact. This is also dependent on where you ride. I tend to ride over a lot of rough sections of road on the way to work which puts more wear on the shim. If the roads are smoother, you should not notice the surging.

Took a look at my battery compartment and the shim is already there so that means they need to do something else to fix my problem, going to give them 1 more chance to do something before I push for a refund and move on to another bike for this kind of money. No one seems to concerned which is what bothers me the most and Specialized seems to lack in support so far. Did the shim take care of your issue all the way or does it still surge at times over bumpy surface.

Hi Jhorrick,
That is really disappointing, I hope you get some sort of resolve. I know you said you already took it back to the bike shop have they not been very supportive? Specialized in the past has always seemed very responsive with problems that is why I have always leaned towards their bikes I hope that they will come up with a fix to this problem. Is the surging happening all the time now?

jhorrick, I agree that your bike shop should be more responsive after giving them thousands of dollars. One of the big reasons I didn't buy one of those 900 dollars bikes off Amazon. I thought; this is a new product category, electric bikes, so I better buy it from a top shop and top brand so I can just ride it and not hassle with it, but if it is screwy, I have an established local shop who will make it whole. Keep us updated please.

Took a look at my battery compartment and the shim is already there so that means they need to do something else to fix my problem, going to give them 1 more chance to do something before I push for a refund and move on to another bike for this kind of money. No one seems to concerned which is what bothers me the most and Specialized seems to lack in support so far. Did the shim take care of your issue all the way or does it still surge at times over bumpy surface.

They have to replace the shim with a new one. The current or existing shim will get to a point of compression where you will get less pressue on the battery to bike contacts.

After they replace my shim, no problems at all!

Pics of my saddle light.
Thanks Adventure! So is that rubber shim (referring to an earlier picture you posted) already stuck to the inside of the frame? It would seem like they would put a thicker pad on the battery side to correct this problem, I'm still not cancelling my order I loved the way the Como 2.0 rode and really looking forward to getting mine (it can't happen soon enough!)

Last edited:
Thanks Adventure! So is that rubber shim (referring to an earlier picture you posted) already stuck to the inside of the frame? It would seem like they would put a thicker pad on the battery side to correct this problem, I'm still not cancelling my order I loved the way the Como 2.0 rode and really looking forward to getting mine (it can't happen soon enough!)

Specialized initially had a thinner foam piece there. However, they updated to a harder rubbery piece. I'm just waiting for them to develop a solution that is not temporary. If they do not develop something, I would make my own shim using a 2 - 3mm thick silicon that does not permanently compress over time and doesn't put enough pressure at the contact point. Will ride another 200 miles and let you guys know.

So I am considering the 3.0, although I really wish I could test drive it first before buying. My local shop only has the 2.0 in a large frame size (i would need and XL), so I do have some idea of what the bike will be like.

So how does the 3.0 do at speed? I test rode the Trek Super commuter 8 and that thing was a blast. I was able to get that thing up to 28 mph without that much effort in turbo mode. I would want something that can easily cruise at 22-25 mph for the morning commute, can any of you that have the 3.0 comment on how the assist is at higher speeds like this? The 2.0 was very nice at slower speeds, but I want to get an idea of the full power curve of the 3.0. I felt the trek had really good assist at those higher speeds.

I can easily cruise at 22-24 but really can’t get it much faster than that without major effort. I think the chainring is too small to maintain the high speeds. The como 3.0 has a 40 tooth and the Vado 6.0 has a 48 tooth

I can easily cruise at 22-24 but really can’t get it much faster than that without major effort. I think the chainring is too small to maintain the high speeds. The como 3.0 has a 40 tooth and the Vado 6.0 has a 48 tooth

And I see the Vado 3.0 is back down to a 40 tooth, same as Como. I have a Como 3.0 and I agree it's fine at 22-24 mph. The long wheelbase, relaxed rake of the fork and wider tires lend a stable feel at speed. But the more upright cruiser style of the Como is not designed for speed like the more aerodynamic bent over style of a commuter like the Vado.

So I am considering the 3.0, although I really wish I could test drive it first before buying. My local shop only has the 2.0 in a large frame size (i would need and XL), so I do have some idea of what the bike will be like.

So how does the 3.0 do at speed? I test rode the Trek Super commuter 8 and that thing was a blast. I was able to get that thing up to 28 mph without that much effort in turbo mode. I would want something that can easily cruise at 22-25 mph for the morning commute, can any of you that have the 3.0 comment on how the assist is at higher speeds like this? The 2.0 was very nice at slower speeds, but I want to get an idea of the full power curve of the 3.0. I felt the trek had really good assist at those higher speeds.

The Como 3.0 is great for easily reaching 28 MPH. I average around 22 - 24 on my 35-mile commute. However, the motor will not let you go any faster and you can feel the resistance. There are points in my commute where I know I can pedal past the 28 and have tried. I thought the motor would disengage and allow pure pedaling power. Waiting for a chip to bypass the max speed allowed on the Brose motor.

One guy at my LBS has the Vado 6.0 and is also looking to bypass the max speed as well.

... However, the motor will not let you go any faster and you can feel the resistance. There are points in my commute where I know I can pedal past the 28 and have tried. I thought the motor would disengage and allow pure pedaling power...

interesting. When I tried the Super Commuter (Bosch 28mph), I did get it above 28mph at one point going down a little hill and I could feel the motor cut off, but it didn't seem to add any resistance like you are experiencing with the Brose motor. If the Bosch motor was resisting I think I would have felt a braking like force since I was going down hill.

Thanks everyone for your experiences with the Como at speed. I am still leaning towards the Super Commuter, seems to have better gears for high speeds, better customer service, and better future support for replacement parts. One thing that scares me about the Como is Specialized dropping support for the custom battery they use.

My girlfriend ordered a Como 3.0 Step Thru on Monday and our bike shop said it should come in June 25th, in three weeks. When I got my 3.0 Como two months ago, I had it within one week. So either they are selling well or they didn't make very many. We shopped around quite a bit and the Como was the most comfortable and by far the best looking with it's battery and motor streamlined into the downtube.

My sister and bother-in-law just got two Raleigh Retroguides. They paid for their two bikes what we paid for one of our Specialized. Knowing this, we still went through with buying this second Como. And we think of ourselves as smart consumers.

Hi Volts, I just got word that my Como 3.0 Shipped today and is expected to arrive at my LBS on the 11th or 12th (so about 1 week ahead of what they initially told me). SO EXCITED!!!!! I actually tried one of those Raleigh Retroglides and hated it, E-bikes should come standard with disc brakes(Yes even the Class 1 bikes) also didn't like the Battery on the Back rack and only had a 7 speed rear derailleur, so I can see why they are so much cheaper in cost. With the Battery up high in the back rack the weight is in the wrong place, hard to explain but I could actually feel the weight of the battery while making some tight turns (ie. High center of gravity) I also noticed it on another bike with a battery on the back rack. Also the Currie Motor doesn't have shift detection so more wear on the drive system, the only plus is that you could convert it to a Class III for $50.00 with an additional cable that plugs into the system, but not sure I would want to do that with V Brakes. I guess in the right conditions the Raleigh would be the right bike. I would like to see what your Sister & Brother-in-law say about their bikes after they ride with you guys. I too, consider myself a smart Consumer and cheap price doesn't always equate to the best purchase, I know I'm a fairly hard rider and chose to go for better components, this is my first E-bike so I'm a newbie to the E-bike world but have been looking for over a Year now, I guess I'll find out soon if all my research and time will pay off.

I had my LBS ask Specialized about the Mission Control App (specifically for Como and Vado) and they responded back by saying that the app is 100% completed but is waiting for approval from Apple to be put on the app store. I use Android and apparently they won't even release it for Android users until Apple users can get it (Hmm another reason to dislike Apple) Anyway it does sound hopeful!

So I dropped off my bike back at the bike shop and they had ordered a prom and a display. It was really bad this weekend with the display going all over the place when the surging starts. I told him I do not want the bike back until its fixed and they need to Road test at least 20 miles after the repair to verify all is ok. I do love the bike it is a blast to ride and I hope they get it figured out.

Hi Jhorrick, We'll all be waiting to hear the outcome, please keep us posted! I'll hopefully have my bike next week, really sorry to hear about all the problems you have had really hope they take care of you!

Back