Specialized Turbo Como 3.0

Volts

I'm very happy with my new bike. At around 200 miles so far, it has been perfect.
IMG_0430.JPG
IMG_0428.JPGIMG_0485.JPGIMG_0482.JPGIMG_0483.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0430.JPG
    IMG_0430.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 11,503
Last edited:
I just got the Como 3.0. There is really any pictures or reviews of the bike online. My LBS had the Come 2.0 so they had to order the 3.0. I like your rack. How did you get your rear light off the seat and on to the rack?

I just got the Como 3.0. There is really any pictures or reviews of the bike online. My LBS had the Come 2.0 so they had to order the 3.0. I like your rack. How did you get your rear light off the seat and on to the rack?

I ordered mine from the bike shop also, I test rode the 2.0, but wanted the added speed of the 3.0.

The rear light; to move it, I unscrewed the light from its bracket and zip tied it to the new location. This Brooks seat is so much softer than the original. I cut the wire and spliced another piece in to make it longer. I just bought a suspension seatpost, a Kinect, not here yet, and I don't think there will be an outlet for the wire from this new seatpost. I noticed the wire for the Vado (very similiar bike) comes out of the bottom of the motor and back up it's fender from the bottom.

I ended up taking the rack off. I love the style of this bike and the rack was two racks I pieced together and was heavy and I thought took away from the lines of the bike (how vain, I know)

I test rode different bikes at a few places but was blown away by the Como's ride position, and looks. The power train is unique in it's smoothness and silence from my testing.

I'm 250 pounds, running 40 psi in the tires, seems good. It's been a month and a half since I've had it and am still so excited with it!

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to also get a suspension seat post. I didn't even think about how the wire could complicate things.

I test rode the como 2.0 and a vado 6.0. It was amazing how must more comfortable the como is to ride. I hope to commute 8 miles to work on it. See how it goes.

Thanks for the reply. I was wanting to also get a suspension seat post. I didn't even think about how the wire could complicate things.

I test rode the como 2.0 and a vado 6.0. It was amazing how must more comfortable the como is to ride. I hope to commute 8 miles to work on it. See how it goes.
It appears that the Kinect/bodyfloat, for seatpost, latest version, is the marginally supreme choice for smoothness and visual appearance, at the premium price of course! If you don't feel comfortable rewiring the rear light, I'm sure your bike shop will do it. It's such a convenience to have lights and not bother with separately recharging them, and that back light is quite bright.

There's not much on the net on the Como I think because it was just introduced. Also, there is such an explosion right now of so many manufactures jumping on the ebike bandwagon. There seem to be ten's of new models introduced weekly. I like the idea of Specialized having a strong presence in the marketplace. They back their products 100 per cent at the large bike store I bought from, it seemed like a safe bet. And the price didn't seem out of line after looking at some manufacture's weak looking, frankenstein cobbled together offerings.

I think an 8 mile commute will be a snap. The Specialized Roll is the non motorized version so it's fenders will be a direct fit. I'm thinking the Vado fenders, integrated rack, and light will be a direct fit also.

Edit: I see there is talk about the light wire when changing seatposts here.

Last edited:
i just got the Turbo Como 3.0 Step Thru and yess it is a nice bike that likes to go fast but had some issues within 50 miles of riding. It started surging and losing assist at times sometimes up grades so took back in and they just ran a diagnostic and of course found nothing but said it should not happen again. Put 7 miles on after getting back and so far no issue. I am dissapointed about the Mission Control app not working on the Comos and Vados yet and hopefully they straighten it out.

Hi Jhorrick.

I also have the Como 3.0 and experienced the surging and/or lack of assistance from the motor. There is a approximate 1.5 inch rubbery shim that needs to be replaced in the battery compartment. It is placed on the right-side about 5 -6 inches from the top. It places the right amount of pressure on the battery and the bike contacts to prevent this temporarily until the piece get compressed again to be ineffective.

Specialized is aware of this issue and is working on a more permanent solution.

As for the Mission Control app, Specialized had told me that it should be a new version that works with our bikes around July.

Thanks for the info it did it again today on a 20 mile ride so I will let my LBS know and inform him of the repair for now from Specialized. Thanks again for the post.

Interesting, I wonder if that has anything to do with my problem. I have an issue where in 1in 4 times I have no power to the pedal when I turn on my bike. My screen and lights turn on but I have no assist. Anything like ever happen to anyone?

I have not had the issue of the bike not starting up (lights and display). The only item was the surging. After the "shim" was installed, no surging issues.

Also have your LBS make sure all the firmaware is up-to-date.

Hi Jhorrick.

I also have the Como 3.0 and experienced the surging and/or lack of assistance from the motor. There is a approximate 1.5 inch rubbery shim that needs to be replaced in the battery compartment. It is placed on the right-side about 5 -6 inches from the top. It places the right amount of pressure on the battery and the bike contacts to prevent this temporarily until the piece get compressed again to be ineffective.

Specialized is aware of this issue and is working on a more permanent solution.

As for the Mission Control app, Specialized had told me that it should be a new version that works with our bikes around July.

Any possible way you would be willing to take a pic of where the shim goes in case the LBS keeps stroking me around. They should have contacted Specialized when I brought the bike in but of course no one did and they did not even get the description of the problem right on the work order.

Very useful information here. As the original poster here, I'll chime in and say, that my Como 3.0 has not had any surging, I wonder how common it is. My bike has 350 miles on it, mostly 10 miles a ride and I just love it. It feels sturdy, smooth, and after two months I am still so excited about the purchase.

I live in Portland Oregon, a big bike town, the dealer I got my Specialized from is one of the biggest bike shops, in the center of the city. They went over the bike with a fine toothed comb before they handed it to me, and seemed very up on the machine, maybe that factors in my good performance?

My girlfriend has rented a Vado 3.0 and a Raleigh mid motor. The vado was uncomfortable on the shoulders and the upright (good) Raleigh only went 20 mph (bad). She's wanting to buy a bike, and is leaning towards getting the Como 3.0 step thru as it checks all the boxes. For its price catagory, the Como is competitive and for me, the styling/design is the most handsome on the market now.

Any possible way you would be willing to take a pic of where the shim goes in case the LBS keeps stroking me around. They should have contacted Specialized when I brought the bike in but of course no one did and they did not even get the description of the problem right on the work order.

In the attached images. The shim should align with the raised section on the battery. This is the raised area above the Specialized branding.

I was informed I will have to go back in at some point when the shim is no longer putting enough pressure on the battery to make a good contact. This is also dependent on where you ride. I tend to ride over a lot of rough sections of road on the way to work which puts more wear on the shim. If the roads are smoother, you should not notice the surging.

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_134452.jpg
    IMG_20180529_134452.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 1,967
  • IMG_20180529_134510.jpg
    IMG_20180529_134510.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,932
In the attached images. The shim should align with the raised section on the battery. This is the raised area above the Specialized branding.

I was informed I will have to go back in at some point when the shim is no longer putting enough pressure on the battery to make a good contact. This is also dependent on where you ride. I tend to ride over a lot of rough sections of road on the way to work which puts more wear on the shim. If the roads are smoother, you should not notice the surging.

Thank You

Picture of my Como 3.0.

Additions:
* Carbon fiber handlebar extension, Specialized Vado mirror, Pixel XL and Fenix BC30R light
* Abus Granit 6500

Looking for saddle bag for extra tubes, CO2 pump extra tools and front rack mount (Surly or Tubus).

Attachments

• IMG_20180529_134614.jpg
    IMG_20180529_134614.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,622
Last edited:
Very useful information here. As the original poster here, I'll chime in and say, that my Como 3.0 has not had any surging, I wonder how common it is. My bike has 350 miles on it, mostly 10 miles a ride and I just love it. It feels sturdy, smooth, and after two months I am still so excited about the purchase.

I live in Portland Oregon, a big bike town, the dealer I got my Specialized from is one of the biggest bike shops, in the center of the city. They went over the bike with a fine toothed comb before they handed it to me, and seemed very up on the machine, maybe that factors in my good performance?

My girlfriend has rented a Vado 3.0 and a Raleigh mid motor. The vado was uncomfortable on the shoulders and the upright (good) Raleigh only went 20 mph (bad). She's wanting to buy a bike, and is leaning towards getting the Como 3.0 step thru as it checks all the boxes. For its price catagory, the Como is competitive and for me, the styling/design is the most handsome on the market now.

Hi Volts,

I completely agree that the Como upright relax position was much more comfortable. Especially for the amount of biking I do. When I finally narrowed my purchase to a Specialized Vado 6.0 or Como 3.0, the Como won me over because of the relaxed upright position. I did prefer the Vado for looks. :) I will have to look into the saddle and seat post you had mentioned.

Cheers!

Hi Volts & Adventure
After a long time I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a Como 3.0 I'm in the Sacramento Area and the Ebikes aren't spoken of and just not too much info at any of the LBS. I had to drive to the Bay Area to try several e-bikes. Long story short is that I was able to ride the Como 2.0 and couldn't believe how comfortable it was, I even liked the Platinum Color (I wish the 3.0 came in that color), but I still haven't seen a 3.0 in person yet and the picture has been taken off Specialized web page (wondering what is happening with that). Also from reading your posts it appears that the seat has a built in tailight, can either of you send a picture of the stock tailight before you made changes just curious to what it looks like on the bike. The delivery date for my bike is June 20, 2018 (I hope it comes sooner). Now for the main Question I saw the Picture that Adventure posted for the rubber shim and I'm a little worried about the surging issue I would like to hear more from both of you if it happens again, I'm going to be riding on paved roads and paved trails but our roads are almost like riding off road.

Can't wait for my Bike!

Back