Specialized Trigger vs Schwalbe Marathon E Plus

Over pressure is bad, but the problem with air compressors is their reserve tank. They can put so much volume into a relatively small bike inner tube in such a short time that it's hard to control the pressure, so much so that many recommend that you pump up bike tubes by hand.

I have an old compressor setup in my shop to a max pressure below any of my bike tire ratings. I use it to get close to the right pressure when installing a new tube/tire, then finish off by hand pump. I hand pump to spec pressure weekly.

I have the same insurance and towing coverage. When I had the flat on the rear tire last week I thought about calling them but then I decided to fix the flat as I was on the bike path and I didn’t want to have interface during these times. I am very curious how the roadside assistance works. What type of car or truck do they bring? How do they put the heavy bike in the car or truck?
I learned from a YouTube video to carry patch kit in addition to extra tube. Using patch kit (as opposed to changing the inter tube) eliminates the need to take the wheel off hence no anxiety specially for the rear wheel.
Of course if blow out then you have to change the inter tube.
I did switch the Triggers to the Marathon E Plus myself at home and using the bike stand. I was nervous (I am not mechanical inclined either) but worked out well and was a good practice in case I have to do it in the field. My challenge is putting the wheel on the rear back in.
I have ordered a pair of handlebar jacks to be able to put the bike upside down on handlebar and seat without damaging the display and handlebar. This should make it easier to work on the bike in the field. Hopefully I don’t have to worry about fixing flat with the Marathon E Plus anytime soon 🤞but with ebike you never know what could come up and like to be prepared.
@Nxkharra. I think with Velosurance we can use road side assistance 4 or 5 times in 1 year. I've never used it before either. I hope I never need to. I think I need to start checking out youtube to learn how to myself. Last time I tried to fix a minor problem it cost $70 to fix the damage i had done. Pretty expensive lesson. 😄

As I mentioned Above I have decided to go with the recommendation from Schwalbe rep to inflate the tires to 55psi rear and 50psi front. I usually run at 60 psi.

@Nxkharra Many thanks for posting the recommended tyre pressures from Schwalbe. I have also been running at 60psi, so will change that.

I had quite a long run yesterday, and have now ordered a suspension seatpost (Sartori Harmony) from Australia, no less :), because I am feeling the vibration quite a bit.

As you have said, it seems you and I are on the same trajectory :D.

Last edited:
@Nxkharra Many thanks for posting the recommended tyre pressures from Schwalbe. I have also been running at 60psi, so will change that.

I had quite a long run yesterday, and have now ordered a suspension seatpost (Sartori Harmony) from Australia, no less :), because I am feeling the vibration quite a bit.

As you have said, it seems you and I are on the same trajectory :D.
I think the suspensions seat post will make a big difference. I use Kinekt.
As I said the trade off between puncture resistance vs all other feelings might be worth it.
Enjoy

Went out this AM for a ride and found my Vado with a rear flat, 3rd one in 11 months. Found the hole easy enough, but nothing in the tire so I have no idea what actually caused it. All I know at this point is;

1. The Specialized Trigger tires with Black Belt protection aren`t, and

2. I probably won't wait for our trip to put on the new Schwalbe Marathons.

Last edited:
Went out this AM for a ride and found my Vado with a rear flat, 3rd one in 11 months. Found the hole easy enough, but nothing in the tire so I have no idea what actually caused it. All I know at this point is;

Sorry to hear about that. I'm riding the streets of Cali myself. Southern Cali, SCV and SFV mainly. Burbank streets are tore up. I'm surprised I didn't get a flat. I think I was lucky. SCV not so bad if you stay away from industrial areas. I had my tires thorn proofed with liners when I first got my Vado. I'm saying, if you get a nail, and it catches your tire right you're going to get a flat whether you rolling MP or not. Thorn protection tubes and liners have done the job so far but I'm only hovering around 700 miles right now.

I have thorn protectors in our mechanicals. They do a great job; no flats in at least a couple of years. I don't have a set that will fit the Vado tires, but I expected more from brand name tires from tires that promote their "Black Belt" protection. Silly me...

Last edited:

Sorry. It’s called biking. Did you fix in the field?

Are the E Plus available for your Vado?
All Schwalbe tires are special order locally, but they are available.

I went with the Schwalbe Marathon GT Tour based on the recommendations of a bike mechanic I worked with for some years at the local 'bicycle kitchen'. Same E50 rating but a bit more versatile tread he felt. 1 level down on puncture resistance, 6 vs a 7. He's used them for years on his tours, including the Ride Across America tour he did a few years ago. No flats, no problems at all. We'll see if I get the same, but no Ride Across America for me!

Sorry. It’s called biking. Did you fix in the field?
Yep, flats are part of biking, but these tires are disappointing none the less. If I had thorn strips that fit I'd put them in but I don't so I'll just wine about it.

This time the bike was still in the shop went I went out for my ride. Pulled the wheel and tire off, checked for sharp things in the tire, put a new tube in and off I went. Just finished patching the tube a few minutes ago. It's under pressure test now.

I have thorn protectors in our mechanicals. They do a great job; no flats in at least a couple of years. I don't have a set that will fit the Vado tires, but I expected more from brand name tires from tires that promote their "Black Belt" protection. Silly me...
Yes sir agreed. I'm a layman when it comes to this stuff. I just want my tires to work, ride smooth and never get a flat. I know it's wishful thinking. Truth is I never heard of black belt protection or Triggers before getting the Vado. The ones I heard of, supposedly high end tires, were Armadillo, Contintental and Marathon Plus for flat protection. I went with MP on my other ebike. Never worried about thorns, tacs or glass. Stock tires were a nightmare.

Hello,
New to the forum. This is what I wonder. First, let me say that I have many miles thru a variety of terrains on quads & mountain bikes in New Hampshire. We always (underscore) used slime in both our innertubes & tires & it almost always worked unless you had a blow-out or major slash. I too have the Trigger tire tube setup on my 2020 Vado 3.0. Have not put the miles that some of you are reporting, but planning on “sliming” the specialized tubes this next week. I will admit that I have only a couple of hundred miles on my Vado. My major concern is more the horrendous road quality of the Boston & northern suburbs.
Expect a blow-out any time I ride. Thank goodness I got the Vado with front suspension over the Como, but with the Como tires, the Vado low end suspension is probably a wash. However, did upgrade to th Kinekt seat suspension & that does make the ride quality palatable. Had a Trek composite road bike for a lot of years riding the roads of New Hampshire & must say I really enjoy the eBike! Thanks again to all for providing a lot of information & opinions! Yeah, I did not slime the road bike tubes, (weight weenie), but must admit that tube repair or replacement was a piece of cake as the bike & tires are so different.
Again, in reference to Veloinsurance. AAA of New England offers two road side assistance a year as part of their service.

Hello,
New to the forum. This is what I wonder. First, let me say that I have many miles thru a variety of terrains on quads & mountain bikes in New Hampshire. We always (underscore) used slime in both our innertubes & tires & it almost always worked unless you had a blow-out or major slash. I too have the Trigger tire tube setup on my 2020 Vado 3.0. Have not put the miles that some of you are reporting, but planning on “sliming” the specialized tubes this next week. I will admit that I have only a couple of hundred miles on my Vado. My major concern is more the horrendous road quality of the Boston & northern suburbs.
Expect a blow-out any time I ride. Thank goodness I got the Vado with front suspension over the Como, but with the Como tires, the Vado low end suspension is probably a wash. However, did upgrade to th Kinekt seat suspension & that does make the ride quality palatable. Had a Trek composite road bike for a lot of years riding the roads of New Hampshire & must say I really enjoy the eBike! Thanks again to all for providing a lot of information & opinions! Yeah, I did not slime the road bike tubes, (weight weenie), but must admit that tube repair or replacement was a piece of cake as the bike & tires are so different.
Again, in reference to Veloinsurance. AAA of New England offers two road side assistance a year as part of their service.
Velosurance offers 4 here a year road side assistance. I've already used once for my derailleur. Also running the Triggers stock on my Vado 5.0 with thorn resistant tubes, liners and slime in both. Just over 1600 miles today. No flats or punctures. I.e. green stuff coming out the tires. Running 55 Psi rear, 50 Psi front. 👍

Hello,
Welcome to the forum. I own a Vado 5. It had a Trigger tire. I did get a flat after 1,500 miles so I switched to Scwable Marathon E+ Not a fan of fixing flat by the side of the road. Aside from this the Triggers felt really good, stable, and lively.
I have insurance with Velosurance.
Agree that Kinekt is a great suspension seat post as I own one.

Velosurance offers 4 here a year road side assistance. I've already used once for my derailleur. Also running the Triggers stock on my Vado 5.0 with thorn resistant tubes, liners and slime in both. Just over 1600 miles today. No flats or punctures. I.e. green stuff coming out the tires. Running 55 Psi rear, 50 Psi front. 👍

Question for you. How did you get the Slime in the Presta style tube? I have seen the various approaches for the Presta, but only have done Schrader valves in the past. Poking a hole to inject is counter-intuitive & letting the valve go into the tube & then retrieving seems problematic.

Thanks!

The Slime folks have a tube with Schrader valve only. Does not work for transfer of slime via Presta valve as it is too narrow.

Question for you. How did you get the Slime in the Presta style tube? I have seen the various approaches for the Presta, but only have done Schrader valves in the past. Poking a hole to inject is counter-intuitive & letting the valve go into the tube & then retrieving seems problematic.

Thanks!
It's really easy. The nut that attaches the valve core can be unscrewed. I used a set of pliers to get it started and then unscrewed it by hand. The only difference with schraeder valve is they have a core removal tool with the bottle. Of course you want to let all the air out and then remove the valve core. Put it in a safe place. Then unscrew the circular nut. Apply the plastic head that came with the slime bottle all the way over the presta valve tight holding the end so no air can escape. You don't need an adapter it works fine without. Squeeze 4 oz. into each tube. Put the circular nut back and valve core back by screwing by hand first and then tighten remainder with pliers. Pump up the tires and spin the wheels or take it for a ride.

Another note: There are different types of presta tubes. Mine are specialized thorn resistant tubes. On these you need pliers to loosen the threaded nut on the valve core. Then it's easy to unscrew it by hand. I don't know about the stock presta valves that came with the Triggers. It might be a different process. When you cover the plastic over the entire presta valve up against the rim you might think it's going to come out the sides because the fit around the valve is not snug. As long as you hold the end firmly against the rim, the slime will go inside the valve directly when you squeeze. No need to take the wheels off either when applying it. Hope this helps.

Back