Specialized Creo SL Handlebar Remote Buttons

kahn

Region
USA
City
northWET washington
Has anybody installed and used them? How do they attach to the TPU - the power on and power select unit on the top tube. I presume that the wires don't just enter under the tight fittings of the display. Zip ties or similar to attach the wires to the handlebars?

remote image.jpg

Good info here. I had the LBS do the work after I decided where to put the buttons with the help of the thread.

They install under the handlebar tape, on the INSIDE of the shifters, accessed by your thumbs. Do not let the bike shop install them on top. When installed as pictured, you can use them from the hoods or the drops. Thumbs for power, fingers for shifting and braking.

Electrician’s tape to attach them to the handlebars, then handlebar tape over the top. You don’t want bulky zip ties under the handlebar tape. The wire from the TPU routes through a cable port.

They’re great.

58FE1B83-E35E-43F2-9CF1-559FD72013DD.jpeg

Last edited:
Thumbs for power, fingers for shifting and braking. They’re great.
I had them installed during the initial build up of the bike. I test drove a few variants of the Creo that didn't have the remotes & didn't want to have a Creo without them. Mine are in the same place too & work well there for me.

They install under the handlebar tape, on the INSIDE of the shifters, accessed by your thumbs. Do not let the bike shop install them on top. When installed as pictured, you can use them from the hoods or the drops. Thumbs for power, fingers for shifting and braking. They’re great.

View attachment 89976
I may be too tired from my early morning hike but are they are the outside of the drops just below the hoods? Oh, I guess I had not thought of removing the tape, placing the wires and reinstalling tape. (turnaround time at the shop is four days)

And now for the strangest question - I'm a LEFTY - which one ups the power and which one lowers the power? :oops:

And now for the strangest question - I'm a LEFTY - which one ups the power and which one lowers the power? :oops:
Inside of the drops. Accessed by your thumbs. Thumbs inside for power. Fingers outside for shifting and brakes.

There seems to be a standard from Specialized. You shift on the left to a lower gear, making it easier to pedal. So they put the more-power button (easier to pedal) on the left. The right shifter makes it harder to pedal, so the less-power button goes on the right.

Last edited:

Good info here. I had the LBS do the work after I decided where to put the buttons with the help of the thread.
Hmmm. When posting the initial question, the forum software offered another thread but it did not have many replies, unlike the one you linked. It does have good info. I think I will spring for the remotes and try finding a rainy week for bike downtime (4th of July usually is wet here!!!!)

Do the cables fit through that port or does it get removed or???

Last edited:
Hmmm. When posting the initial question, the forum software offered another thread but it did not have many replies, unlike the one you linked. It does have good info. I think I will spring for the remotes and try finding a rainy week for bike downtime (4th of July usually is wet here!!!!)

Do the cables fit through that port or does it get removed or???
See pages 9-11 of the manual for how to get the cables inside the bike and routed to the Turbo control unit. I think the remote kit includes a new cover for the frame opening.
Rincon is correct about the “standard convention” for the up and down power buttons but you can connect them anyway that suits you. For me it made more sense to make the right button is power up and the left button is power down.

I think the kit comes with instructions. Check the Specialized website.

Last edited:
See pages 9-11 of the manual for how to get the cables inside the bike and routed to the Turbo control unit. I think the remote kit includes a new cover for the frame opening.
Rincon is correct about the “standard convention” for the up and down power buttons but you can connect them anyway that suits you. For me it made more sense to make the right button is power up and the left button is power down.

I think the kit comes with instructions. Check the Specialized website.
Thanks. I did check their website and found nothing on the Remote Controller. I submitted an email inquiry and they gave me the Part Number and said to order through my local shop. In that longer thread, I saw a few requests for the Remote manual but I don't think anyone posted it or a link.

I'm trying to decide whether to order from some sites on the web or go via my bike shop. I guess my shop could get it in and I could take it home and play with varying placements and which side is up and which side is down. I kind of liked where someone tucked it under the brake hood flap for being discreet but I'm not sure that would work for me.

Again, thanks.

It's super easy to install, wrapping bar tape is the hardest part. I put the buttons below the hoods on the inside of the bar, as shown above. More specifically, I put them as high up as they would go, they are on the bar but butted up against the brifter clamp. Then I actually wrapped the tape over the button as if it wasn't there. It's almost invisible, barely noticeable, but it works and I can feel it fine through the tape. Works with hands on both the hoods and the drops.

My bike had the side cable port with the larger opening in the spare parts kits that came with the bike.

It's super easy to install, wrapping bar tape is the hardest part. I put the buttons below the hoods on the inside of the bar, as shown above. More specifically, I put them as high up as they would go, they are on the bar but butted up against the brifter clamp. Then I actually wrapped the tape over the button as if it wasn't there. It's almost invisible, barely noticeable, but it works and I can feel it fine through the tape. Works with hands on both the hoods and the drops.

My bike had the side cable port with the larger opening in the spare parts kits that came with the bike.
I don't think I have a port thingie in my spare parts. It is the tape that I'm not sure I can tackle. I recall trying to do that about 20 years ago and it was not the best! 😢

More specifically, I put them as high up as they would go, they are on the bar but butted up against the brifter clamp. ... Works with hands on both the hoods and the drops.
Yes, this is great advice. If they’re not placed up high enough, then you can’t easily reach them from the hoods. I electrician-taped them in place, then tested hand positions, then moved them higher.
It is the tape that I'm not sure I can tackle. I recall trying to do that about 20 years ago and it was not the best!
My first attempt was miserable. I’ve now taped bars about four times and learned how to do it. The main lesson was, closely watch what you’re doing and unwrap immediately if it doesn’t look good. Park Tool and GCN how-to videos were immensely helpful.

Back